Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:
I've never heard of this place, but it's not too far from my home. Based on the ratings and the description of the burgers being very greasy, I doubt I'd ever go there.

I eat more burgers than I used to and it's all your fault. And I can't even go to these places! They're the other side of the world!

I'm having to settle for a bake at home 'southern style' crumbed chicken thigh on supermarket rye bread. (Still tasty, though.) :D

MOO

Have I posted this before? LOL
I’m thinking of trying this no flour cookie recipe.

I eat more burgers than I used to and it's all your fault. And I can't even go to these places! They're the other side of the world!

I'm having to settle for a bake at home 'southern style' crumbed chicken thigh on supermarket rye bread. (Still tasty, though.) :D

MOO
In my heart of hearts, I've always thought that I would promise to visit the winning restaurant of the "Best Burger in Metro-Detroit" so I could give you my opinion of the "best" burger. Honestly, none of these "classic" burgers have impressed me because I don't like the buns or toppings, and most of the burgers look greasy. For starters, I don't like regular hamburger buns. When we have burgers at home, we use grilled Kaiser rolls or rye bread. I don't like American cheese and prefer my nicely seasoned medium-rare burger stuffed with crumbled blue cheese. Other than a little red onion in a salad, I don't like raw onion, and I detest pickles. I don't particularly care for tomato on my burger, and I don't like shredded iceberg lettuce. Romaine, Boston, bibb, butter lettuce, or arugula are all good choices, and Hellmann's mayo is my go-to condiment. If I'm feeling self-indulgent, I might have sliced avocado on my burger and, occasionally, crispy bacon. To combat the grease issue, I blot my burger with paper towels before it goes on the grilled roll or bread. I can't even recall the last time I ordered a burger in a restaurant because they seem so big and messy.

Even though I'd probably never order a "classic" burger at any of the venues that the Channel 4 reporters have visited, I will consider going to the winning restaurant. They've never indicated how long their quest for the best burger in metro- Detroit will last or how many more joints they plan to visit. I find the reviews enjoyable and fun even if I don't like the way the burgers look and would probably not want to try most of them.

Last edited:
In my heart of hearts, I've always thought that I would promise to visit the winning restaurant of the "Best Burger in Metro-Detroit" so I could give you my opinion of the "best" burger. Honestly, none of these "classic" burgers have impressed me because I don't like the buns or toppings, and most of the burgers look greasy. For starters, I don't like regular hamburger buns. When we have burgers at home, we use grilled Kaiser rolls or rye bread. I don't like American cheese and prefer my nicely seasoned medium-rare burger stuffed with crumbled blue cheese. Other than a little red onion in a salad, I don't like raw onion, and I detest pickles. I don't particularly care for tomato on my burger, and I don't like shredded iceberg lettuce. Romaine, Boston, bibb, butter lettuce, or arugula are all good choices, and Hellmann's mayo is my go-to condiment. If I'm feeling self-indulgent, I might have sliced avocado on my burger and, occasionally, crispy bacon. To combat the grease issue, I blot my burger with paper towels before it goes on the grilled roll or bread. I can't even recall the last time I ordered a burger in a restaurant because they seem so big and messy.

Even though I'd probably never order a "classic" burger at any of the venues that the Channel 4 reporters have visited, I will consider going to the winning restaurant. They've never indicated how long their quest for the best burger in metro- Detroit will last or how many more joints they plan to visit. I find the reviews enjoyable and fun even if I don't like the way the burgers look and would probably not want to try most of them.
Strong cheese, avocado, and bacon all the way. Delicious. I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but a strong vintage cheddar and I am very happy.

I prefer most other kinds of lettuce to iceberg, but unfortunately, iceberg does last the longest in my refrigerator without turning to compost, so I've been buying iceberg of late. Personal fave is probably baby spinach, or a slaw made with red cabbage.

I do love tomato, but tomatoes from shops so often disappoint. Pallid and flavourless, for the most part.

I do like raw onion, especially red, but it's off the menu for my partner, so I don't have it often. It's not worth cutting into one for just one slice. I'm with you on the pickles, though.

I've been having garlic aioli on my burgers of late instead of mayo. It's good. And a bit of tomato sauce, which is different to American ketchup in a way that's hard to explain. If you ever come to Australia, you'll see what I mean. They're not the same.

Sometimes something old becomes new again. And for good reason! Such is the reality of cast iron skillets … a reliable piece of cookware that actually dates back to ancient China and is once again gaining in popularity.

In the realm of culinary tools, the iron skillet reigns supreme as a versatile kitchen workhorse. From searing steaks to baking cornbread, this timeless piece of cookware offers a plethora of benefits that elevate both the cooking experience and the flavors of your dishes. Thus, we thought we’d take a brief look at some great benefits that iron skillets offer, how to care for them, and five great dishes you can prepare in them...

I stopped at Jaemore Farms on Wednesday and found 2 small cast iron skillets. I thought they’d be the perfect size for the grill. Sometimes when I’m grilling a package of chicken, I don’t want to put my veggies next to it. A little skillet should work well.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 6
Tonight’s yummy dinner was at

I had chicken enchiladas with queso sauce instead of red or green sauce. Refried black beans with cheese on top. Rice with tomatoes was flavorful.

My friends love guacamole but I don’t care for it. The salsa wasn’t too spicy. The chips were hot!

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4247.jpeg
    IMG_4247.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 9
Strong cheese, avocado, and bacon all the way. Delicious. I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but a strong vintage cheddar and I am very happy.

I prefer most other kinds of lettuce to iceberg, but unfortunately, iceberg does last the longest in my refrigerator without turning to compost, so I've been buying iceberg of late. Personal fave is probably baby spinach, or a slaw made with red cabbage.

I do love tomato, but tomatoes from shops so often disappoint. Pallid and flavourless, for the most part.

I do like raw onion, especially red, but it's off the menu for my partner, so I don't have it often. It's not worth cutting into one for just one slice. I'm with you on the pickles, though.

I've been having garlic aioli on my burgers of late instead of mayo. It's good. And a bit of tomato sauce, which is different to American ketchup in a way that's hard to explain. If you ever come to Australia, you'll see what I mean. They're not the same.
I eat veg burgers and I agree that most burger buns = styrofoam and need an upgrade in taste and fiber! As to sauces: horseradish, ranch dressing, or Thai green chili are faves. most pickles are just 100% too salty to be enjoyable. IMO.

Have I posted this before? LOL
I’m thinking of trying this no flour cookie recipe.

If you make these, give us a report!

To combat the grease issue, I blot my burger with paper towels before it goes on the grilled roll or bread. I can't even recall the last time I ordered a burger in a restaurant because they seem so big and messy.
Using paper towels is a good idea. I agree restaurant burgers are often messy to eat. I end up eating with a fork in that case and skipping most of the bread. I don’t eat burgers often, but there is a nearby place that offers a 5.3 ounce burger that I like.

Tonight’s yummy dinner was at

I had chicken enchiladas with queso sauce instead of red or green sauce. Refried black beans with cheese on top. Rice with tomatoes was flavorful.

My friends love guacamole but I don’t care for it. The salsa wasn’t too spicy. The chips were hot!
I love guacamole but if it’s too acidic, my bladder really suffers. (Interstitial cystitis)

I stopped at Jaemore Farms on Wednesday and found 2 small cast iron skillets. I thought they’d be the perfect size for the grill. Sometimes when I’m grilling a package of chicken, I don’t want to put my veggies next to it. A little skillet should work well.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful gastronomical travel experience :) I'd have the Chicken Flautas (Taquitos), my usual choice at Mexican Village. It's one of the few entrees that isn't covered with cheese.

We went to Marietta GA this morning. We walked thru the farmers market. There were a lot of farm vendors and homemade food vendors. So many farmers markets have too many craft booths. But not this one.

We went to The Marietta Local for breakfast. I did not care for their grits. They were stone ground which is okay but I couldn’t taste any cheese at all. I never even tried the bacon but it looked good. I ate most of my eggs and 1/2 slice of sourdough toast. I didn’t take my leftovers to go because I’m driving home to FL tomorrow.

I wanted to go to the Pie Bar but they weren’t open yet. I would have likely spent too much money anyway!

After that, I talked Kristine into walking to the Australian Bakery Cafe. It was so cool. Everything was so pretty and looked delicious. The lady helped me find a shortbread cookie I could have. They even had a little shopping area along one wall.

Attachments

• IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4252.jpeg
    IMG_4252.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 8
PN, thanks for sharing your "food" travels with us. Have a safe drive home.
My friends that I come up here to visit in Lawrenceville, GA, are moving to the west area of Savannah, GA. They're looking at Pooler, GA or maybe south of Savannah, in the Georgetown area. They are doing some maintenance around their house and then they'll put it on the market.

When we all met up in Savannah they took us (me & both my girls) to Sam Snead Restaurant. It was good, Robert, Kristine & I had steak.

The staff did a great job helping my girls find gluten free and vegetarian options. My oldest had salmon and my youngest had a veggie burger. Everyone loved their food. It is not a high dollar fancy steak house but the food was good and the ambiance was very nice and relaxing.

So once they're in Savannah, no doubt they'll be taking me everywhere to try restaurants they like. They never let me pay either. Drives me batty. LOL!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NopeNopeNope
Back