Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found bananas at Target today. I swear the cashier was oblivious that she was handling fresh produce. She dropped them into the bag, literally. Then dropped the 6 small bags of Halloween candy on top of them. Then picked up the entire bag and literally dropped it in my cart. I was flabbergasted, speechless. At what point do people learn to bag food? Good grief.
When I was selecting some not-too-ripe bananas at Nino's yesterday, I asked the produce manager if he had heard about the possibly impending longshoreman strike that could impact local supplies of bananas. He was unaware and said he'd look into it. They sell a LOT of bananas, and dwindling supplies would be problematic. NBC Nightly News had a report about the possible strike during the newscast last night.

I found bananas at Target today. I swear the cashier was oblivious that she was handling fresh produce. She dropped them into the bag, literally. Then dropped the 6 small bags of Halloween candy on top of them. Then picked up the entire bag and literally dropped it in my cart. I was flabbergasted, speechless. At what point do people learn to bag food? Good grief.

How old was the cashier?

I swear I've had more trouble with young men these days. I asked a bagger to put my frozen food in my freezer bag. He put my bananas on top and glared at me. Getting old and not having a husband to deal with men is not easy.

Most places now teach employees how to bag groceries. Doesn't mean they'll do it though.

I usually bag my own stuff but I don't think that is an option at Target.

Every day ought to be National Corned Beef Hash Day!! LOL, love the stuff, and I do make it with the canned corned beef and fresh bell peppers, it's pretty awesome. The canned stuff's good, too, though. Sometimes I poach eggs and sit them on top of it.

I STILL cannot get my duck. I have to walk FOUR MILES to get duck unless someone gets it for me and brings it back (which soon should happen). So today I got cheaper cuts of sirloin tip and seasoned them in heavy oil for steak tacos, seared, into the oven. Lotta oil so they'd tenderize as cooking. I left the cuts whole (till later) Really heavy seasoning and spices (chipotle, ancho, onion powder, fresh garlic, cheat with taco seasoning, fresh jalapenos, fresh chunks of lime). Back out, added some stock, hacked up the meat, more seasonings and spices, let them sit while I cut the onions & cilantro and got the lime together. Warmed the tortillas, put everything together. They were nice, but they'll be better tomorrow once the leftover meat sits in the juices overnight. Also, hopefully I can get some tomatillos & make my own green salsa. I've got a good brand here, though, like this one, it's (checking...) Cholula Green Pepper. Like that one.
No Chinese supermarkets near you, @snooptroop88 ? I was just at one yesterday, and saw whole headless ducks for $2.99/lb.

How old was the cashier?

I swear I've had more trouble with young men these days. I asked a bagger to put my frozen food in my freezer bag. He put my bananas on top and glared at me. Getting old and not having a husband to deal with men is not easy.

Most places now teach employees how to bag groceries. Doesn't mean they'll do it though.

One of our local grocery store chains hires baggers though a developmental center that finds employment for individuals with Down’s syndrome. They are the best baggers! They are always careful, honor requests, and really take pride in their work.

How old was the cashier?

She had to be 40, so not a kid. She didn’t seem mad either and was pleasant. I was just blown away at how dense she was.

There were 8 self checkouts, all full and at least 10 people waiting in that line. There were 2 people ahead of me in this lady’s line. I wanted to get out quick because I don’t have an immune system right now and was wearing a mask.

When I arrived there were maybe 10 shopping carts. When I left people were waiting for carts. I was thinking to myself…. I gotta get out of here before some nut breathes on me!

I hadn’t been to a food pick up in over a month. Today was the big monthly one.

I liked the produce but had to toss all the corn, most of the cabbage, and some sweet potatoes. I’m not a fan of green grapes but I’ll taste them.

I put 2 packs of salmon in the freezer and I’ll make the 3rd one tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve ever had apples from Canada before. The peaches are small and in good shape.

I’ll need to make some banana bread which is ok because we’ve depleted our stash.

The eggs will be great for a breakfast casserole. I’ve started a free box to put at the curb. It’s been too wet to put anything out yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6158.jpeg
    IMG_6158.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6160.jpeg
    IMG_6160.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6161.jpeg
    IMG_6161.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6162.jpeg
    IMG_6162.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 7
When I was selecting some not-too-ripe bananas at Nino's yesterday, I asked the produce manager if he had heard about the possibly impending longshoreman strike that could impact local supplies of bananas. He was unaware and said he'd look into it. They sell a LOT of bananas, and dwindling supplies would be problematic. NBC Nightly News had a report about the possible strike during the newscast last night.
I am expecting this strike "for the holidays" because it will cause maximum disruption .... as if the Panama Canal drying up was not bad enough, now this... always something

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge
Back