Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thursday we went to Fords Garage for dinner. My friend’s Dad, Phil is 90, nearly blind from macular degeneration and almost deaf. He is lonely and when we all meet up, I like to sit by him. My blood cancer is very similar to what his wife died from 3 years ago. He’s very interested in how I’m doing, what my treatment entails, etc.

Anyway, he ordered this sandwich called Smoked Brisket Burnt Ends Melt. Then proceeded to tell us it was too burnt. He was so funny! The title of it sounded awful to me to begin with.

I had the Pulled Pork sandwich but didn’t eat the bun. The meat was tender but the sauce was too spicy for me. I had the coleslaw on the side instead of on the sandwich. The green beans were my side and they were very good.

It was a great evening and Phil had a wonderful time getting out and about.

This morning we had brunch at Bobs Train restaurant. It was a very cool environment with so much history, memorabilia and photos from the circus life. If you’re visiting the area, you should go there. We all had the omelet bar. They call you up to the omelet bar and you pick your ingredients and they plate everything right then.

We all decided we needed to get Phil there soon. He loves trains, had an elaborate train set in his garage until recently.

Burnt Ends are popular in BBQ restaurants and steakhouses in the area where I live. I never thought “Burnt Ends” sounded good either.

People are already panic-buying things that wouldn’t have been affected, like toilet paper.
sigh.gif

Not a stockpiler at all, but after the madness of 2020 when we nearly ran out of toilet paper, I have never let our stocks of such essential items get low again. It seems any sort of issue, real, anticipated or imaginary can trigger this craziness now.

I never stockpiled. When one multipack is opened I buy another so that we never accidentally run out of toilet paper or paper towels. In 2020 i kept one extra pack of each in addition to those. We never ran out.
same here. I also do this with most condiments in my fridge. the minute I open one from the pantry, I purchase the next to replace it. (My mayo addiction is just as important to me as TP) ;)

Last edited:
I never stockpiled. When one multipack is opened I buy another so that we never accidentally run out of toilet paper or paper towels. In 2020 i kept one extra pack of each in addition to those. We never ran out.
I never have either. Then again, I am a single person household so never felt the need to stock up or store large amounts of anything really. 24 rolls of toilet paper would last for months lol!

The only thing I've ever really bought in a bulk size was an extra large container of Clubhouse Montreal Steak spice from Costco. It was about 2 pounds and lasted me for probably 2 years (stored some in the freezer). I found myself putting it on pretty much everything at one point :p

Last edited:
I just realized @PayrollNerd has mentioned living in Florida from time to time. I don’t know if she is at all close to being in the path, so I just want to say I hope she is safe!

@PayrollNerd, Please let us know you are ok.
nervous.gif
Payroll posted a few hours ago on another thread that she is safe. She has evacuated to her daughter's home.

Payroll posted a few hours ago on another thread that she is safe. She has evacuated to her daughter's home.

Good to know. Hope her loved ones stay safe also.

Schwan’s home food delivery is going out of business next month. I was a customer briefly years ago but we don’t use much frozen food so I stopped. But the big yellow trucks make plenty of stops in my neighborhood.

Schwan’s Co., the family business of founder Marvin Schwan that was founded in 1952, had owned the delivery truck business as well as frozen-food brands like Red Baron, Tony’s, Pagoda and Schwan’s frozen foods. The Schwan’s truck business made a name for itself as a more old fashioned grocery delivery service where drivers would follow long routes to make home or neighborhood deliveries. But as other grocers began offering more modernized services and platforms like Instacart rose to prominence, Schwan’s business failed to adapt.

I hate to see them go out of business. When my aunt was no longer able to drive, she depended on them for most of her groceries.

They were pricey but the quality was good.

I hate to see them go out of business. When my aunt was no longer able to drive, she depended on them for most of her groceries.

They were pricey but the quality was good.
One of my colleagues had previously worked for Schwan’s. He said they stopped accepting cash a few years ago, and that (according to him) was a poor business decision because many of their long-time customers did not have credit cards, or didn’t want to use electronic payment. He said in his area customers dropped by 50% when they went to credit card only payment.

For anyone thinking about putting together an emergency food supply or go bag, Costco now sells emergency food kits with a long shelf life.

Attachments

• IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 2
Hurricane Milton’s eye is going right over my house. Sigh. I can see the rain on my Ring cameras and my sunflowers are hanging in there! I forgot to bring my birdbath in but I left in such a hurry.

I’m in PCB and the wind is whistling at times. I made a breakfast sandwich for myself this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_6230.jpeg
    IMG_6230.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6229.jpeg
    IMG_6229.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 11
PN, I'm glad you're out of harm's way, although who knows what you might find when you return home. I noticed the storm moving south yesterday while watching The Weather Channel. Sarasota looks like it might take a direct hit.

We have friends who now live in Fort Myers and are currently on a cruise ship drifting around at sea near Cuba because no ships can return to Port Everglades until the storm passes. They were supposed to arrive last evening and disembark this morning. Now they will be on the ship until Friday. All passengers are getting free WiFi so they can rebook flights. I hope they don't run out of food (or drinks)!

Hurricane Milton’s eye is going right over my house. Sigh. I can see the rain on my Ring cameras and my sunflowers are hanging in there! I forgot to bring my birdbath in but I left in such a hurry.

I’m in PCB and the wind is whistling at times. I made a breakfast sandwich for myself this morning.
I’m so glad to hear from you, and that you are safe! It must have been a hard decision to evacuate, but it sounds like you made the right call.

(That breakfast sandwich is making me hungry. :p)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vingigi
Back