Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped my oldest food prep for her offshore trip this week. I had made her gluten free chocolate chip cookies last week and froze them. This weekend we made breakfast casserole, which I may have shared the recipe on here before. Then she made chicken and cheese quesadillas and a gluten free pasta dish. That along with snacks from Aldi's and she should be set for 4 days.

Some offshore vessels come with a chef/cook but smaller vessels don't. So this week, the crew are on their own for meals. She decided to fix everything in advance so all she had to do was reheat food. This is also the first offshore research trip that she is 100% in charge. Very exciting for her but also very stressful. The more she learns, the more trips she'll get to run going forward.

They were steaming out of Tampa Bay this morning and will be working near shore today. Tonight the captain will motor them out further into the Gulf.

I helped my oldest food prep for her offshore trip this week. I had made her gluten free chocolate chip cookies last week and froze them. This weekend we made breakfast casserole, which I may have shared the recipe on here before. Then she made chicken and cheese quesadillas and a gluten free pasta dish. That along with snacks from Aldi's and she should be set for 4 days.

Some offshore vessels come with a chef/cook but smaller vessels don't. So this week, the crew are on their own for meals. She decided to fix everything in advance so all she had to do was reheat food. This is also the first offshore research trip that she is 100% in charge. Very exciting for her but also very stressful. The more she learns, the more trips she'll get to run going forward.

They were steaming out of Tampa Bay this morning and will be working near shore today. Tonight the captain will motor them out further into the Gulf.
What an adventure! I bet you feel cosy, knowing she has plenty of good things to eat

I found a recipe for peach cobbler that I'd like to try tomorrow. It calls for one stick of butter. Butter doesn't come in sticks around here. Is one stick the same as one cup of butter, or 1/2 cup, or a different amount?

I found a recipe for peach cobbler that I'd like to try tomorrow. It calls for one stick of butter. Butter doesn't come in sticks around here. Is one stick the same as one cup of butter, or 1/2 cup, or a different amount?
1 stick of butter is a 1/2 cup. If you’re baking, use real butter, not margarine due to the water content.

What an adventure! I bet you feel cosy, knowing she has plenty of good things to eat
Yes I do! Our families food allergies are ridiculous so advance planning and food prep are critical. Back in 2016, I took them out west on a 10 day trip to the national parks. We literally had 1 rolling suitcase filled with food at all times. We had to stay in places with mini kitchens so we could eat. There is no such thing as ordering a safe meal in a strange place.

They are all the same to me. Some beef thing, pork thing, whatever it is. I don't know. I think he about died when I cooked some "beef thing" in the Instant Pot. How was I supposed to know it was some sort of special steak for the barbecue?! He ate it.
That's hysterical! When I was married, I used to put dinner on the table and say "If it's awful, McDonald's is down the street." LOL! We maybe bailed on whatever it was I made 1 or 2 times in 20+ years.

I've made this, and it is awesome! Caramelized Bacon | Barefoot Contessa
OMG yesssss! I made it for our Christmas munchies tray. Decadent.

Yellow cake with chocolate frosting was my fave as a kid and I still love it. The Duncan Hines or Jiffy mix in particular. Cake mixes in the UK are crap, so I've started baking cakes from scratch. Also, the weird UK fascination with sticking jam on or in otherwise perfectly good cakes. This is a really easy recipe and it's just wonderful. (I love the UK, I just like to make fun of them.)

Classic Yellow Cake with Fudge Frosting

I tried a salted caramel cheesecake for my birthday. I know better. Caramel is hard to work with. Baked cheesecakes can be tricky. I have a 1940s oven. Not only did it cost me about £15 in ingredients, I had to unwrap two bags of Werther's and not even my husband nor my friends 17 y/o son, both of whom will eat just about anything, would finish a slice.

That's hysterical! When I was married, I used to put dinner on the table and say "If it's awful, McDonald's is down the street." LOL! We maybe bailed on whatever it was I made 1 or 2 times in 20+ years.

A lot of vegans won't cook meat. I am not like that. And it works, I cook a big meat thing once or twice a week. Or if we have burgers, he has a hamburger, I have a black bean burger.

I am actually happy with not going out to eat. Makes it so much easier for me.

Well here’s another reason to cook at home.

Cooking in quarantine reduces food waste, could help climate change

A month after the novel coronavirus was declared a pandemic, Americans reported they were cooking more often and wasting less food, according to a survey from HUNTER, an integrated marketing and public relations firm.

Fifty-four percent engaged in more frequent cooking while 46% engaged in more frequent baking.

I haven't baked all summer and was planning to make lemon bars a week or two ago. It got really hot and humid, and working with buttery dough sounded like a hot mess, so I abandoned the notion. Still wanted to bake something sweet, so I just put a pound cake into the oven. I've been making this recipe for 40+ years, and it always delicious.

Pound Cake

All ingredients at room temperature. Grease and flour bundt or tube pan. DO NOT preheat oven.

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Slowly add flour, alternating with whipped cream. Mix until batter is smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and place in cool oven. Set oven to 325* and bake for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes until cake tests done with toothpick. Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan. Dust with powder sugar if desired.

Produce pick up today. Our menu this week: salad with tomatoes. One of my favorites! LOL!

Recipe
Open salad mix, pour in bowl.
Wash, dice tomatoes, pour in bowl.
Add salad dressing of your choice, toss & serve.

Attachments

• 42BBEE8D-9198-48C6-903D-5104ABF93013.jpeg
    42BBEE8D-9198-48C6-903D-5104ABF93013.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 28
I haven't baked all summer and was planning to make lemon bars a week or two ago. It got really hot and humid, and working with buttery dough sounded like a hot mess, so I abandoned the notion. Still wanted to bake something sweet, so I just put a pound cake into the oven. I've been making this recipe for 40+ years, and it always delicious.

Pound Cake

All ingredients at room temperature. Grease and flour bundt or tube pan. DO NOT preheat oven.

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Slowly add flour, alternating with whipped cream. Mix until batter is smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and place in cool oven. Set oven to 325* and bake for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes until cake tests done with toothpick. Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan. Dust with powder sugar if desired.

This sounds great. I think I am going to test baking in my Ninja Foodi. I have quite a few Nordic Ware pans, I usually collect one when I see them at Goodwill.

This sounds great. I think I am going to test baking in my Ninja Foodi. I have quite a few Nordic Ware pans, I usually collect one when I see them at Goodwill.

The pound cake is delicious by itself, but the original recipe from a community cookbook included a sauce to serve warm over the pound cake. Here's that part of the recipe.

Brandied Cherries

1 16 oz. can dark cherries in heavy syrup
1/2 cup cherry juice (reserved from canned cherries)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. Brandy

In a small saucepan, combine cherries, cherry juice, and sugar over low heat. Mix cornstarch into orange juice. Add to cherry mixture. Cook until thickened and clear. Remove from heat and stir in Brandy.

Serve warm sauce over Pound Cake. Garnish with whipped cream and toasted slivered almonds if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89