Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Homemade vegan ricotta??? Please do share your recipe. My youngest who is allergic to any dairy made from cows milk was opining about cottage cheese on Christmas Eve. She really misses it. If I can create dairy free vegan ricotta, I could make her GF, DF, EF lasagna!!
Here you go!! I use it in lasagna as well. Mind you, it doesn’t melt like a ricotta. But it has a nice taste and texture that mimics ricotta. I also buy some vegan feta to mix with the ricotta. It does get melty. It is made by Violife. I find it at While Foods Market. It is GF, lactose and dairy free.

Here is the vegan ricotta recipe.

INGREDIENTS
  • * 1 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
  • * 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • * 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • * 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • * 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
  • * 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • * 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
To make the tofu ricotta, crumble the tofu into small pieces resembling ricotta cheese with your hands. Add in the remaining ingredients and combine with a fork.

Thanks for the tip :) Lots of great recipes: Luck and Money: Traditional Foods for New Year’s Day :: post :: Camellia Brand We love Red Beans & Rice!

We plan to get takeout from our favorite Italian restaurant on New Year's Eve since we haven't been able to go there for months due to Governor's ban on indoor dining. We usually go to Picano's at least once during the holidays and have also gone there on NYE many times since they opened in 1985. I will make a black-eyed-pea and rice dish on New Year's Day.

There are some good recipes on that site; thanks to @Teche for posting it. I hope you will also have greens for New Year's Day!

I wish we could get takeout from our favorite Italian restaurant next week, but they are closed until January 6th.

There are some good recipes on that site; thanks to @Teche for posting it. I hope you will also have greens for New Year's Day!

I wish we could get takeout from our favorite Italian restaurant next week, but they are closed until January 6th.

I will add kale or spinach to my black-eyed-peas and rice dish ;)

We typically go to our favorite little vegan place, The Detroit Street Filling Station.
Instead it will be carry out. I feel so bad for our local restaurants. I hope our governor lifts this ban!
For NY Day I am making homemade spanakopita! First time ever using my mom’s traditional Macedonian recipe. Usually it is 20 of us family members around her table. This year we are all on our own.
ETA I am taking her traditional recipe and making it vegan, using Earth Balance “butter”, flax egg and my homemade vegan ricotta.

Do you go to Seva? We were living in the Ann Arbor area when it opened in the early '70s. First time I'd ever had vegetarian cuisine. DD used to like Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak; haven't been there for years.

During one of her recent briefings, GW hinted at ending the indoor dining ban before January 12 if number of new cases continued to decline. It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath. Perhaps it's a little self-serving, but I would really like to enjoy dinner out on my January 27th birthday.

Do you go to Seva? We were living in the Ann Arbor area when it opened in the early '70s. First time I'd ever had vegetarian cuisine. DD used to like Inn Season Cafe in Royal Oak; haven't been there for years.

During one of her recent briefings, GW hinted at ending the indoor dining ban before January 12 if number of new cases continued to decline. It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath. Perhaps it's a little self-serving, but I would really like to enjoy dinner out on my January 27th birthday.
Seva is one of our faves!! It moved in the last several years from downtown AA to a strip mall. Lost the ambiance but the food is still great. I will keep my fingers crossed that we can go eat inside very soon!

Yes, we serve greens for New Years Day too.

So, how many days of leftovers are in your 'fridge???

Probably 2 more here at the Laughing homestead.

Yeah, Grandma's recipes were designed to feed a few more people at Christmas dinner. So was her dining room table, but the additional table leaves are still under the buffet & the extra chairs in the corners while the extra food is in those ubiquitous containers....

Yeah, Grandma's recipes were designed to feed a few more people at Christmas dinner. So was her dining room table, but the additional table leaves are still under the buffet & the extra chairs in the corners while the extra food is in those ubiquitous containers....
Mr Pirate and I will get three dinners out of it all!

Last knockings here. Made turkey casserole last night. Sliced turkey and leftover crab with avocado at lunch today. Will cook my veggie alternative (bought as back up as I dont always fancy meat) and have with maple roasted parsnips and carrots tonight.

Trying to use up some extras in my fridge too. Ran out of tater tots a month ago but I have hash brown patties. I wish I had some spinach on hand but no biggie. My improvised breakfast casserole is in the oven. Eggs, crumbled turkey sausage, diced tomatoes, & cheese.

Attachments

• 5C07D166-FC9B-4309-AE93-EA8A248686CF.jpeg
    5C07D166-FC9B-4309-AE93-EA8A248686CF.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 29
My leftovers are dwindling too. The small ham sandwiches on dinner rolls are hitting the spot for me. I have those for brunch or late lunch. The leftover veggies I eat for dinner. I may have a couple meals left.

We are about out of leftovers. All that's left of the beef stew is a couple of pieces of beef and some potatoes and carrots. I'm thinking of turning it into soup with the addition of some green beens and maybe some cheese.

So, how many days of leftovers are in your 'fridge???...

We have a couple of containers of navy bean soup that I made with the spiral-sliced ham that we had for dinner with my sister last Monday. Mid-week I made turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes, spinach, and feta. DH finished it yesterday. We have leftover Brussels sprouts from Christmas dinner and will likely finish those for lunch today. Takeout tonight - probably pizza since we haven't had it for a few weeks. We will get Italian takeout on NYE, and we always have bagels & lox with Bellinis and/or Mimosas for breakfast on New Year's day.

I am planning to make a black-eyed-pea and rice dish on New Year's Day. It is likely to be my own creation based on several recipes that I've studied. I will take the best features from them and come up with my own dish: So far, it's looking like andouille sausage, shrimp, the trinity, black-eyed peas, some type of leafy green and fluffy white rice. I'll also find a way to get some Bourbon in the dish ;) We still have some mixed nuts and dark chocolates, but other munchies are gone. I didn't bake cookies this year, so there weren't ever any of those to nibble on :D

We have a couple of containers of navy bean soup that I made with the spiral-sliced ham that we had for dinner with my sister last Monday. Mid-week I made turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes, spinach, and feta. DH finished it yesterday. We have leftover Brussels sprouts from Christmas dinner and will likely finish those for lunch today. Takeout tonight - probably pizza since we haven't had it for a few weeks. We will get Italian takeout on NYE, and we always have bagels & lox with Bellinis and/or Mimosas for breakfast on New Year's day.

I am planning to make a black-eyed-pea and rice dish on New Year's Day. It is likely to be my own creation based on several recipes that I've studied. I will take the best features from them and come up with my own dish: So far, it's looking like andouille sausage, shrimp, the trinity, black-eyed peas, some type of leafy green and fluffy white rice. I'll also find a way to get some Bourbon in the dish ;) We still have some mixed nuts and dark chocolates, but other munchies are gone. I didn't bake cookies this year, so there weren't ever any of those to nibble on :D

I'm sure your NYD dinner will be delicious. I have the feeling you could boil up an old leather boot and it would be good!

I didn't bake cookies either, but I bought some at the Farmers Market and we are working our way through them. Fortunately I gave some of them away (along with some of our beef stew) to friends.

That turkey meatloaf sounds AMAZING! Are you able share the recipe? I'd love to try it and I know my DH would like it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel M