DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New page added to mysterious SusanPowell.org website
Last Update: 2:11 am
<snipped>
A new page added to the site this week describes Susan's dream of opening a hairstyling salon in the basement of their home. The page also said, "Josh has always been happy to support Susan's efforts in any way ... Josh suggested that she turn it into a real business and he offered to teach her accounting basics. Josh is a Quickbooks Certified Pro Advisor and has a degree in Business Administration." The anonymous writer implies the project was ongoing. According to the page, "Josh planned to continue working until Susan's salon and the basement were finished." But Josh's brother-in-law, Kirk Graves, said, "This project has been dead for two years at least."

What's more, a picture of a salon chair posted to the page seemingly proves that Josh was working to fulfill Susan's dream. But Josh's sister said it didn't come from him. "We actually picked up the chair that's in the picture. We gave it to them," said Jennifer Graves. Kirk Graves believes the new page was written by a 2nd person. He said Josh is probably getting help from his father, Steve Powell. Josh and his two young sons are currently living in Steve Powell's house in Puyallup, Washington.

ABC 4 News asked Lou Bertram, a retired FBI agent who was on the Unibomber Task Force, to look at the page and give his assessment. While he cannot be sure, Bertram said he would be surprised if it was not produced by Josh Powell. He believes the motive for creating SusanPowell.org has little to do with finding her. "He's got to go on the offensive," said Bertram. "He has to put himself #1. Unfortunately, other than the headline with Susan's name, she gets put in 2nd place. Josh is #1. It's me. It's me. It's me."

The real motive for the website, Bertram believes, is to counter the allegations from friends and family of Susan Powell that he is a controlling, manipulative, abusive husband. He said, "If I had not known the past 90 days and the situation, I would look at this and I would say Josh is the victim."

Video: New page added to mysterious SusanPowell.org website 3/3/10 2:16
The anonymous author of SusanPowell.org added more information to the website this week. Family members and a retired FBI agent agree Susan's husband, Josh, is probably behind it.
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=96524@ktvx.dayport.com&navCatId=8

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/sl...s-SusanPowell-org/ksdN4VKYwEiEGR9kSPzPkg.cspx

:angel:

"In other developments, St. George detectives have indicated that family members connected to the case of missing West Valley City woman Susan Powell have contacted St. George police to check for a possible link to Steven&#8217;s disappearance. Powell disappeared about December 7 while Steven Koecher disappeared on Dec. 13."

I can see Josh and his father trying to introduce any type of doubt they possibly can regarding Josh's involvement in her disappearance. Everything should be checked, of course, but by "family members," you have to wonder if it's him.

The new Web site is absolutely disgusting, and the campfire in front of the snow scene appears to be Photoshopped.

Family of Susan Powell to hold vigils to mark 3 month disappearance
4:40 PM MST, March 4, 2010
<snipped>
The vigils will be held Saturday at 7:00 p.m. in Puyallup, Wash. and at Centennial Park at 3100 S. 5600 West in West Valley City.

The Cox family said they hope the public turns out to support the Search for Susan.

Video: Family of Susan Powell To Hold Two Candlelight Vigils 0:33
http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/b...-Susan-Powell-planning-two-candlelight-vigils

Article:
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-family-susan-powell-candlelight-vigils,0,3009442.story

Family, friends hold candle light vigil in remembrance of Susan Powell
Last Update: 8:13 pm
<snipped>
Supporters of the missing West Valley City mom lit candles, gave words of encouragement, and prayed in hopes that Susan is still alive and she will come home.

The gathering marks the three month mark of Powell's disappearance. Her husband, Josh Powell, told police he was on a camping trip with his children at the time when his wife went missing.

The vigil was held at Centennial Park (3100 South and 5600 West).

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...le-light-vigil-in/4gMYXzsniUK7c7o68N2e8g.cspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friends hold candle light vigil for 3-month anniversary of Powell's disappearance
9:45 PM MST, March 6, 2010
<snipped>
Friends of missing West Valley mom, Susan Powell, gathered Saturday night for a candle light vigil. It has been three months since the disappearance of Susan Powell. "God has a plan for Susan, please keep praying for her, thank you," Josh Powell's sister, Jenn Graves said. Susan's husband Josh Powell launched his own web site a few days before the Saturday's vigil but few friends say his web site has very little to do with his wife's disappearance.

"If he really wanted to help online, he should have said what she was wearing, what they did during their last hours together, listed her vital statistics, he's done nothing like that," Kirsii Helewell said.

West Valley police detectives say nothing dramatic has changed but they continue working on leads and remain confident of a successful conclusion.

Video: Friends hold candle light vigil for 3-month anniversary of Powell's disappearance 2:39
http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/3...3-month-anniversary-of-Powell-s-disappearance

Article:
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-3-month-anniversary-missing-susan-powell,0,1835567.story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Family, friends mark 3 months since Susan Powell's disappearance
Missing woman » They hold vigils in WVC and Puyallup, Wash.

Updated: 03/06/2010 09:42:08 PM MST
<snipped>
In West Valley City and Puyallup, Wash., friends and family of Susan Powell as well as people who had never met her gathered to light candles, sing songs and share prayers that she might soon be found. Kiirsi Hellewell, Powell's best friend in West Valley City, said she never expected the search for her friend would have stretched so long. About 50 people attended the Puyallup vigil. Some brought signs and ribbons they gave to the Coxes.

Joshua Powell did not attend either vigil. He is the only person of interest named by West Valley City police in the case. Powell moved to live with his father in Washington state following his wife's disappearance.

A small group of participants at the West Valley City vigil sang one of Powell's favorite songs, "Hold On," by Michael McLean. A telephone message Powell left for her mother, Judy Cox, also was played on loudspeakers.

Powell is heard singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" with her 5-year-old son Charlie, while 3-year-old Braden chattered in the background. Powell ends the message by wishing her mother a good day. The message, also played in Puyallup, was heart-wrenching for many in the crowd. "Hope you are having a good day," Chuck Cox repeated. "That's Susan. Always there, helping her children."

*More at link!

From left, Laura Nickel, Kris Farrimond and JaVonna Owings sing at the candlelight vigil for Susan Powell on Saturday. About 50 people showed up at Centennial park in West Valley City to mark three months since Powell's disappearance.
20100306__powellanniversary_030710~1_GALLERY.jpg

Kiirsi Hellewell wipes a tear as she listens to a song at the vigil for Susan Powell Saturday. About 50 people showed up at Centennial park in West Valley City to mark three months since Powell's disappearance.
20100306__powellanniversary_030710~2_GALLERY.jpg

Kiirsi Hellewell wipes a tear as she listens to a song at the vigil for Susan Powell on Saturday. About 50 people showed up at Centennial park in West Valley City to mark three months since Powell's disappearance.
20100306__powellanniversary_030710~3_GALLERY.jpg

Article:
http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_14527428
Vigils mark 3 month anniversary of Susan Powell's disappearance
March 6th, 2010 @ 9:40pm
<snipped>
It's been three months since Susan Powell disappeared, but her family wants to make sure she is not forgotten.

Saturday night, family and friends held a special candlelight vigil to mark the three month anniversary of the disappearance of the West Valley City mother of two.

The family thanked all those involved in searching for Susan and asked everyone to not give up hope.

"Life brings us many trials, but I find great peace knowing that God has a plan and no man can thwart God's plan," said Jennifer Graves, Susan's sister-in-law. "God has a plan for Susan. Please keep praying for her."

*Video Included In Article!

Photo Gallery: Vigils mark 3 month anniversary of Susan Powell's disappearance 10pics
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=9923389&nid=460&pid=8

Article:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9923389
Vigils in two states for Susan Powell
Last Update: 3/06 11:51 pm
<snipped>
More than 40 people showed up at West Valley&#8217;s Centennial Park Saturday night for a candlelight vigil for Susan Powell.

The West Valley mother disappeared three months ago and best friend Kiirsi Hellewell doesn&#8217;t want to let people forget Susan. Hellewell said,&#8221; If we keep Susan in the news just like the Smart family did Elizabeth it brought her home. And we believe it'll do the same for Susan.&#8221;

In West Valley and Puyallup, Washington, friends sang songs, lit candles and prayed for Susan.Hellewell said Josh Powell was invited to the vigil in Washington State. However, Cox family spokesperson Shelby Gifford told ABC 4 News that Josh was not there.

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...-for-Susan-Powell/4f0hF58OEEacFBKszz0SMg.cspx
Two Vigils For Susan Cox Powell On Three Month Anniversary of Her Disappearance
Cox Powell Vanished From Utah Home Without A Trace

March 6, 2010
<snipped>
Two simultaneous candlelight vigils for Susan Cox Powell were held Saturday night, one in her hometown of Puyallup, and the other where she lived with her husband and two young sons, in West Valley City, Utah. With heavy hearts and candles in their hands loved ones and friends of Susan Cox Powell gathered for a candle light vigil at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ridgecrest building in Puyallup Saturday night.

Susan Powell Cox's father Chuck Cox says the family is still holding out hope of finding Susan alive. "Yeah, I'd love to see her walk through that door and I believe in miracles, I believe she could come back," said Cox.

At tonight's vigil loved ones like Shelby Gifford talked about the pain of not knowing where Susan really is. "Everyday is a difficult wait it's hard to balance the need for feeling hope with reality," said Gifford.

At the vigil the family handed out purple ribbons so people can keep Susan in their thoughts and prayers, and also missing person flyers to help bring her home. Shelby Gifford says the family is leaning on their faith to help find Susan, but, know it will be hard to come to grips with her fate. "We'll know what happened to Susan when we either find her body or she comes walking through the door," said Gifford.

Video: Two Vigils For Susan Cox Powell On Three Month Anniversary of Her Disappearance 2:28
http://www.q13fox.com/videobeta/3c8...-Three-Month-Anniversary-of-Her-Disappearance

Article:
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-030610-powellvigil,0,7291619.story
Missing mom's husband shuns 3-month vigils
Story Published: Mar 7, 2010 at 8:56 AM PST
Story Updated: Mar 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM PST
<snipped>
Two vigils - almost 1,000 miles apart - were held for missing Susan Powell as friends and family gathered in Utah and Washington to commemorate three months since the 28-year-old mother of two disappeared.

But one person was conspicuous by his absence - the missing mom's husband, Josh Powell, who did not attend either of the vigils.

Participants in the Utah vigil lit candles, sang songs and shared prayers that Susan Powell might soon be found. Kiirsi Hellewell, who was there, says she never expected the search for her friend would have stretched so long.

In Puyallup - where Susan Powell's parents live - the vigil was very somber, as most are. But what made this one different, was that Susan's father played a phone message in the speakers so all could hear her voice. In the recording, Susan can be heard teaching her young son how to sing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

Susan's father, Chuck Cox, also played an old message from his daughter, allowing the crowd to hear her sweet voice at her candlelight vigil. But Cox admits the months of waiting and waiting - with no visible progress - are taking their toll. He says he feels "tired, worn down."

Susan Powell is remembered at a March 6 candlelight vigil in Puyallup - three months after her mysterious disappearance.
100307_missing_mom_vigil.jpg

Susan Powell's Three Month Anniversary Vigil - ABC Reporter Shomari Stone's I Phone Montage
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK44xwnAv9U[/ame]

Article:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/86753862.html

Did Josh Powell visit strip club the day after Susan disappeared?
Last Update: 1:21 am
<snipped>
A bartender, a bouncer and at least one regular patron at the "Duces Wild" strip bar in South Salt Lake all say, &#8220;yes.&#8221; They told West Valley Police detectives that Josh Powell put in an appearance the afternoon of Monday, December 7th.

One of the bar owners believes it was Powell&#8217;s first and only appearance at his bar. &#8220;As far as I know, we&#8217;ve only seen him one time,&#8221; he said.

Nevertheless, he claims Josh Powell made an impression. He said, &#8220;He acted a little bit off the wall.&#8221; His co-owner, Kimberly, said, &#8220;At one point, I guess, he took somebody else&#8217;s beer off the table.&#8221; She adds that Powell was talking loudly about what a bad day he was having. &#8220;He was belligerent to the other patrons and the girls at the bar,&#8221; said Sherman, a regular who explained that he sat next to Powell. He caused such a ruckus, that when he left the bar around 4:30 p.m. Sherman said, &#8220;Everybody applauded.&#8221;

It wasn&#8217;t until a week later, after Powell&#8217;s picture had been shown several times on the news, that folks at the bar say they figured out their guest had been Josh Powell. Sherman said, &#8220;He drew my attention because nobody forgets a jerk. And it&#8217;s just one of those things that bothered me &#8230; When I saw his face on TV I recognized that yeah, that is definitely the guy.&#8221;

West Valley detectives did investigate. A department spokesman explained that since there was no surveillance video, they could not verify the story.

Video: Did Josh Powell visit strip club the day after Susan disappeared? 2:23
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=96615@ktvx.dayport.com&navCatId=8

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/sl...lub-the-day-after/666gpASkxkaAnXq87NEPgA.cspx
Workers say Josh Powell was at strip club shortly after wife disappeared
March 8th, 2010 @ 6:51pm
<snipped>
Workers at a South Salt Lake strip club say Josh Powell may have been there in the hours after his wife Susan was reported missing.

A bartender at the Duces Wild exclusively tells KSL Newsradio a man, whom she later identified as Powell in several pictures provided by police, made sexual advances toward her then turned belligerent with her and other customers in the afternoon of Dec. 7. "He wanted me to come over and bend down so he could see my *advertiser censored*, kept telling me I had a nice [behind], telling me to come down there; he wouldn't hurt me; bend over," Liz Burkholder said.

Customers also claimed the man identified as Powell made them uncomfortable and said things like, "You don't know what kind of day I've had." He even grabbed another patron's drink, and customers applauded when he finally exited after his nearly two-hour stay.

Police were looking for Susan, Josh and their two children until Josh and the kids showed up at their home between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. the evening of Dec. 7. Josh has said he took the boys camping to the west desert, beginning at 12:30 that morning.

West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan says investigators are aware of the tip, and they did investigate it, however police were not able to confirm it was for sure Josh based on statements from the eyewitnesses.

The owner of the Duces Wild says surveillance cameras were not working that night.

KSL Newsradio will have much more on this story coming up on Utah's Morning News at 7:20 a.m. Tuesday.

*Video Included InArticle!

Article:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9943955
Husband of missing woman spotted at strip club
Updated Mar 9, 2010 - 10:47 am
<snipped>
Employees at Duces Wild said a man they later identified in photos as Josh Powell made unwanted sexual advances toward a bartender and angered customers.

Club owner Rydell Mitchell said the crowd was happy to see him go. "When he finally did leave, a lot of my patrons actually started clapping because they were pretty much happy to get rid of him."

Surveillance tapes in the club weren't working that night. Police said they investigated, but they can't confirm whether Powell was there based on the eyewitness accounts.

Article:
http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=295367
Powell's family dislikes ribbons, fliers
Updated Mar 9, 2010 - 9:11 am
<snipped>
Puyallup neighbors of Josh Powell, husband of a missing woman, have been posting fliers and ribbons near his home, and his family is apparently not happy about it.

The purple ribbons are attached to trees in front yards in the Country Hollow neighborhood, but the ribbons and fliers have been removed from street lights.

"Later found out that the reason why they actually did take them down is because Steven Powell, Josh's father, had called the home owners association and said the kids were disturbed by seeing their mom's pictures hanging up," said a neighbor who wanted to remain unidentified.

She said she's bothered that Powell is acting like a hermit and not doing more to find out what happened to his wife.

35313.jpg

Article:
http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=295385
The hours after Susan Powell's disappearance
March 9th, 2010 @ 11:35am
<snipped>
He has refused to speak with police detectives investigating the disappearance of his wife, but police have started retracing the footsteps of their only person of interest in the case.

KSL Newsradio has learned Josh Powell may have spent time at a strip club, just hours after Susan Powell was reported missing. But despite numerous eyewitness accounts, police are skeptical that the man was indeed Josh Powell.

Workers at the South Salt Lake strip club, Duces Wild, say a man they believe was Josh made sexually-explicit comments and advances, yelled, yanked away a customer's drink and ultimately didn't tip the workers when he visited the day after Susan was last seen.

The alleged appearance at the club happened the afternoon of Dec. 7, when police were still looking for Susan, Josh and their two children. They had been reported missing that morning after a day care provider grew concerned because the children had not been dropped off on schedule. Josh showed up to his home with the kids between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. that evening.

"I don't have any idea why anybody would say something like that," Powell's attorney, Scott Williams, told KSL Monday. "We have no need to respond."

*Much more at link!

Audio: Andrew Adams reporting
http://real.ksl.com/video/slc/3/314/31440.mp3

*Video Included In Article!

Article:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9941987
Police doubt story of Josh Powell at strip club
Employees say he was in bar on the day his wife disappeared

Published: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:06 p.m. MST
<snipped>
West Valley police say they doubt a man seen at a strip club on the day Susan Powell disappeared was Powell's husband. "We're aware (of the story). We investigated it. We talked to the people involved. We don't feel that was Josh (Powell)," said West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan. On Dec. 7, a man walked into Duces Wild, 2750 S. 300 West, and acted very belligerent.

After Susan Powell's disappearance began to make headlines, one of the bartenders and at least two patrons remembered the belligerent man who was in the bar days earlier. Police were called and detectives went to the club and to the homes of some of those witnesses to interview them, Cooper said. They were too late to check the scanning gun. But no one that day can remember checking an ID that said "Josh Powell," she said.

One of the patrons, however, told Cooper that he was only mostly sure now that it was Powell but not 100 percent convinced. A third regular patron, she said, did not believe the man was Josh Powell, saying that this man's hair was longer than Josh's.

Based on what she has heard from employees and patrons in her club, Cooper admitted Tuesday that she had her doubts, and with the beanie cap the man was wearing that day, it could have been a case of mistaken identity.

Article:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700015183/Police-doubt-Powell-strip-club-story.html
Friends doubt Josh Powell was at tavern
Last Update: 4:06 pm
<snipped>
Close friends of Susan Powell doubt her husband was inside a bar drinking the day after she went missing. Customers and employees of the Deuces Wild in South Salt Lake were investigated by West Valley Police about the possible sighting.

"It's extremely uncharacteristic of him,&#8221; said Kiirsi Hellewell, a close friend of Susan. &#8220;I don't think you could find anyone who knows Josh that he would be drinking." JoVonna Owings is also a close friend of Susan and even spoke with Josh by phone the following day after her disappearance in December. &#8220;I personally can't imagine that he could do anything like that,&#8221; Owings said. Josh Powell's a non-practicing Mormon. And Owings said Susan never told her that he ever drank.

Police investigated the possible sighting but couldn't confirm it beyond a reasonable doubt. Police also said that Josh Powell was interviewed about ninety minutes after he was supposedly at the tavern. &#8220;They had not detected any presence of alcohol odor or anything like that,&#8221; said Cpt. McLachlan.

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...ell-was-at-tavern/mvva3u73KkazETzCSFo5AQ.cspx
Police say couldn't verify Joshua Powell was at strip club
Updated: 03/09/2010 09:36:43 PM MST
<snipped>
West Valley City police confirmed Tuesday that they investigated a number of tips concerning the whereabouts of Joshua Powell in the hours after his wife went missing in December, including a tip he went to a strip club.

However, "There was no apparent way to verify independently it was him," said Capt. Tom McLachlan.

McLachlan confirmed that several days after Susan Powell's disappearance Dec. 7 that an employee of Duces Wild told investigators Joshua Powell visited the South Salt Lake strip club. But McLachlan, without going into details, also said investigators followed up on "a number of tips" involving Joshua Powell's whereabouts in the days after his wife went missing.

Police tried to verify all information with two or more sources, McLachlan said. Though at least one person claimed Powell was at Duces Wild, investigators could not verify it was actually him.

Article:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14643707
True or not, does the alleged sighting of Josh Powell in a bar matter?
Last Update: 3/09 11:11 pm
<snipped>
A handful of patrons and even some employees are sure they saw Josh Powell in their bar, Duces Wild, on Monday, December 7th -- the same day it was discovered his wife, Susan Cox Powell, was missing. West Valley friends of the Powells say it couldn't have been Josh because he doesn't drink.

Either way, what does it matter? The alleged sighting did not bring Susan Powell home. As for the legal implications, ABC 4 turned to Daniel Medwed, a law professor at the University of Utah.

If Josh Powell were to ever find himself in court over his wife's disappearance, Professor Medwed said a prosecutor could use the sighting to establish Powell's state of mind. "But more importantly," Professor Medwed said, "It goes to the purported alibi that Mr. Powell has been advancing for months now -- That he was in the west desert with his kids. This directly contradicts that alibi."

However, the professor also noted that a good defense attorney would have little trouble shredding the story of Josh Powell in a strip bar.

*More at link!

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/sl...-sighting-of-Josh/PphXrtVxFEunP4SCy9R-tA.cspx

I have read that in response to the Bar sighting ....someone said Josh powell doesn't even drink. This could explain some of his attitude if he wasn't a drinker then perhaps 2 beers and a shot of something was enough to make him behave like a first time drinker..."stupid" and from what I gather it most likely was him.....could you imagine plotting and planning and then actually executing the crime of offing your spouse...well that probably drove him straight too the nearest bar, and the fact that he didn't go near the strippers, just remained at the back bar was most likely because his intentions were solely on getting drunk...atleast enough to drown out the memory of what had just occured. also....looking at the info everyone has posted about his father and how his father's father abducted he and his brother away from their mother....it sounds to me like the "Apple doesn't fall from the tree" with this family.
Another thought I have to share....If the bar patrons and owner all feel it is him enough to go on national news that is a pretty big move considering the nature of these folks hanging out in the middle of the day drinking etc. I think to make that assumption as risky as it is means they are pretty certain..... lets just hope so, I want to see this crumb crumble !

I sure found an awful lot of stuff in court records under the dads name Steven C Powell looks like he has been in a battle nearly 15 years with someone regarding financial matters with 5 children,maybe his ex wife, I am not certain but all the children including Joshua have written declartions against that person. what is he tryiing to do get years, and years of back pay? from what I could tell running all of their names they almost all have money troubles. no wonder dad wanted joshua home... Steven has a 5 bedroom home, that should accomodate the mess he has made with what he has instilled in these kids...The fact that this battle appears to have been going on since 1992 tells me that it shows his sons its easier to just off the spouse rather than battle in court ! thats my take on it. hmmm

following up on my own post....Steven did sue his ex wife and his son helped him. wow ...so looks like daddy doesn't like women much either. If you ask me I think this is a father son job ! and just as I have said in the past I wonder if law enforcement can check out any storage facilities rented by them....including dads new pseudo name ! guess he changed his name since their are so many court records on him showing how often he has been sued, and of course the 15 year suit against ex wife ... I gather her name was Terrica Powell ...just sleuthing away here !

Cache Valley residents organizing search for Susan Powell
Story Created: Mar 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM MDT
(Story Updated: Mar 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM MDT)
<snipped>
A group of Cache Valley residents are taking it upon themselves to assist in the search of Susan Powell, the West Valley mother who disappeared on December 6, 2009.

The group will be focusing their search in Utah's west desert on April 10 just south of Tooele and west of Vernon. The command post will be at the Simpson Springs Campground. From there search parties will be sent out in different areas and cover as much ground as possible, depending on how many volunteers participate, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

There are several roads in the area but most of the search will be done on foot over some hill country and flatlands. "We think we'll have enough volunteers to search quite extensively in that entire area," says Shawn Sorensen, a member of the group organizing the search.

Organizers have experienced searchers who are participating. Searchers will use GPS units to track and record the areas searched and see what areas may need to be covered at a later date. "We want as many volunteers as possible," Sorensen says. "We do want some volunteers that are prepared."

Article:
http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/local/87711247.html
Search for Susan group wants volunteers to comb Utah desert for clues
10:01 PM MDT, March 15, 2010
<snipped>
The group of friends out of Cache County says they have the skills to organize a search for Susan Cox Powell that they have tentatively set for April 10. Volunteers will need GPS, shortwave radios, proper gear and photo ID for check-in.

"We don't anticipate any problems but sometimes accidents happen," says organizer, Joanne Bentley. "We are going to ask all volunteers to sign a waiver form so they understand the risk involved."

Bentley says this is very early in the planning stages. More details are supposed to be announced in the next few days and on the Facebook page managed by Susan's friends and family. But she says it is complete strangers who are leading this search.

Video: Search for Susan group wants volunteers to comb Utah desert for clues 2:21
http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/b...ants-volunteers-to-comb-Utah-desert-for-clues

Article:
http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-west-desert-search-for-susan-cox-powell,0,6523052.story
GETTING RESULTS: Is photo of Powell family fake?
3/15/10 Last Update: 10:34 pm
<snipped>
ABC 4 took action to get a professional opinion from Mark Throckmorton, an artist who is also trained to detect photographic fakery.

First, he looked at the fire. By changing the color values, he looked for evidence the fire's light was reflected in the surrounding snow. Throckmorton said, "I just ran it through a couple of filters. You can see the light from the fire is there. It's consistent. I popped it a little bit so you can see it's reflecting. It's genuinely in the photograph." He also noted that while one of the boys and Susan are looking into the camera, the other boy and his dad appear to be looking at the fire. Then, he looked at the shadows. "The flash of the camera is going to take away a lot of the extreme shadows," he said. "There's no cloning going on that I can tell."

Finally, Throckmorton took a look at the edge of the green cap of one of the boys. There's an odd color shift around it, a few pixels of a halo that could indicate "masking" - a technique used to superimpose a object onto a scene. "It is possible there may have been something - that's only a maybe at best." Throckmorton said it is possible for a good fake to show no masking. Still, the results of his investigation: "There's nothing in there that shows any sign of manipulating. It's consistent throughout. I think it's a genuine photo."

To be sure, Throckmorton would like to see the original file. Photos are typically reduced in size and resolution before posting to the web. Such a reduction could make photographic fakery harder to detect. But seeing the original photo may be difficult considering the website where it's posted is anonymous. There is nothing on the site that indicates who is responsible for its contents

Video: Is photo of Powell family fake? 2/16/10 2:29
There have been a number of questions surrounding a picture of Susan Powell and her family since it first surfaced on an anonymous website earlier this month. Among those questions, is it legitimate?
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=96735@ktvx.dayport.com&navCatId=8

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...owell-family-fake/nkRLbJnS2kG64yr-udJ8sw.cspx
Volunteer search being organized for Susan Powell
March 16th, 2010 @ 8:04am
<snipped>
A group of Cache County friends wants to do more than just hope missing West Valley City woman Susan Powell will be found. It's organizing a volunteer search on April 10 of the west desert, starting at Simpson Springs.

Search organizer Shawn Sorensen says they've talked with police, but this will be a purely volunteer effort to find Powell. Volunteers will be asked to walk the search areas and to bring GPS devices to help mark off where they've been. "So if we search that area then at least we covered basically the only area that we can think of she may be in, and that's some closure there for people," said Sorensen.

Simpson Springs is the area Susan's husband Josh Powell said he took his kids camping during a snowstorm near the time Susan disappeared. "If we clear that place then I think that will be a huge step forward," said Sorensen.

Volunteers will be asked to sign a waiver form, and Sorensen is asking only those 16 and older in good health to take part.

Details of how people can be involved in the search will be posted on Facebook at the Friends and Family of Susan Powell page.

Audio: Randall Jeppesen reporting
http://real.ksl.com/video/slc/3/315/31502.mp3

Friends and Family of Susan Powell page:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=198478842187&ref=ts#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=198478842187

Article:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10031136

From his website and from his description of his activities the night Susan disappeared, it seems Josh is counting on the importance of apparent family values and of apparent conformity to community standards to put him in a fail-safe light. In other words, it doesn't matter what one does. If one upholds all the conventions, no one will believe you did it. His belief system is so skewed in this way that heavy questioning would reveal the inconsistencies in it. I think he is absolutely BANKING on this cover.

Volunteers to comb desert for Powell
Missing » But WVC police warn against it, saying, 'We've spent several thousand hours [searching the area].'

Updated: 03/16/2010 11:46:48 PM MDT
<snipped>
A group of Cache County residents has announced plans to search for Powell in Utah's west desert on April 10. The search area will be near the region where Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, told police he went camping with the couple's two young boys the night his wife disappeared.

Volunteers will be organized into teams and assigned an area to search. "There are several roads in the area, but most of the searching will be done on foot over some hill country and flatlands," the news release states.

The West Valley City Police Department said the area is dangerous and volunteer searchers may put themselves at risk going over an area already thoroughly investigated. "We have had teams of trained officers both in the air and on the ground and underground searching the area. We've spent several thousand hours [searching the area]," said West Valley City police Capt. Tom McLachlan. "The problem with a public search is that it is a vast area. It is an area that is very wild and remote, and somebody who is relatively untrained can go out there and get hurt and help is a long ways away," he said.

McLachlan said police will be in touch with volunteer search organizers to warn them of potential problems they may face and provide advice on what they should do if coming in contact with anything "of a dangerous or suspicious nature." He said the location of the Powell search is near the U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground, where military weapons are tested. He said Dugway Proving Ground officials warned West Valley City police to be careful when they conducted their investigation of the area during the winter and that volunteer searchers need to be aware of hazards. "The potential for possible unexploded military ammunitions is higher than in other areas," McLachlan said.

Some Utahns, however, are still eager to help in the search.

Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, in Puyallup, Wash., said the family continues to appreciate the public's support. "We are happy people want to help us search for Susan and hope anyone who chooses to participate will respect police guidelines and safety measures," Gifford wrote in an e-mail on Tuesday.

Article:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14687046

Susan Cox Powell: Press Release announces ground search in April
March 16, 3:06 PM
<snipped>
Searchers are looking for closure for Susan's family. Susan has been missing for over three months. Her husband, Josh, is the last known person to have seen her at midnight Dec. 6. He is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones. The story he gave police and media has been largely disbelieved.

Official press release announcing the search for Susan Cox Powell:

As the weather warms up there has been renewed interest in searching for clues to Susan Cox Powell&#8217;s disappearance. A diverse group of friends and professionals have pooled their experience and expertise to instigate this search effort with the approval of her family.

On April 10th, 2010 there will be an extensive search for clues in Utah&#8217;s West Desert. The command post will be south of Tooele and west of Vernon, UT at the Simpson Springs camp ground. From there search parties will be sent out to different areas to cover as much ground as possible from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. We hope many volunteers will join us so we can search a large area. Volunteers will be put in teams and assigned an area to search. There are several roads in the area, but most of the searching will be done on foot over some hill country and flatlands.

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...ess-Release-re-ground-search-planned-in-April
Contact information for the Susan Cox Powell search
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:25 a.m. MDT
<snipped>
The command post will be south of Tooele and west of Vernon at the Simpson Springs campground.

Volunteer requirements:

&#8212; A completed waiver form acknowledging the volunteer assumes sole responsibility for his or her actions on the search.

&#8212; A photo ID to show the volunteer is of age and to allow tracking of searchers to ensure they have returned.

&#8212; Shortwave radios are helpful, as there is no cell phone coverage in the search area.

&#8212; Be in good health and prepared for significant physical excursion.

&#8212; Volunteers are responsible to check the weather and to dress appropriately, including comfortable hiking boots and a jacket.

&#8212; Volunters should also bring an emergency preparedness pack with a basic first-aid kit, water, snacks, flares, etc.

Article:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ormation-for-the-Susan-Cox-Powell-search.html
Brent Hunsaker - Questions about recent stories on the Susan Cox Powell case
Last Update: 3/18 1:14 am
<snipped>
Recently, a few people have been asking me, &#8220;What&#8217;s the point?&#8221;

&#8220;So what if Josh Powell was at a strip bar on the day his wife was reported missing?&#8221;

&#8220;So what if the picture of the Powell family sitting in the snow in front of a fire may not be a fake?&#8221;

&#8220;So what if there&#8217;s a search around Simpson Springs?&#8221;

Here we go &#8230;

Bottom Line: Talking about all this stuff keeps Susan and the mystery of her disappearance in our thoughts and conversations.

That&#8217;s the point.

*More at link!

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...recent-stories-on/3z1y4pzSsUebVjpyex2AoA.cspx
Experienced crews joining the search for Susan Cox Powell
Last Update: 3/18 10:45 pm
<snipped>
It has only been a few days since the call went out for an April 10th search of Utah's west desert for clues to the disappearance of Susan Powell and already, a few hundred have volunteered. Many of the volunteers bring with them special skills. They're firefighters, EMT's, police and ex-military. They know how to conduct an effective search.

Among these professionals who are volunteering, 12 men and women with Bridgerland Fire of Cache Valley. Bridgerland's chief, John Watkins said, "If it was my family, I'd want the same thing -- the community to pull together and help out." A member of his crew, Derrick Vigil added, "I think my team and I just want to put our training to good use."

Chris Willden is putting together another team from Strategic Tactical Group. Not only are they bringing with them their "go packs", radios and laptops, they're also providing a small trailer that can act as a command post. Their time and equipment are all being donated to the cause of finding Susan. Willden said, "We're probably into it -- with what we're going to be having out there -- probably a thousand dollars."

For a complete list of what to bring as well as instructions on how to sign up for the April 10th search, A free Facebook membership is required.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...f=mf#!/topic.php?uid=198478842187&topic=18828

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...-search-for-Susan/NUzANqM-JUSmrssEfSh1Hg.cspx

Susan Powell search has sheriff concerned
Park worries horde of volunteers in west desert could pose safety risks, destroy evidence

Mar 18, 2010
<snipped>
A press release was sent out Tuesday morning through the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page, asking for volunteers in a coordinated effort to look for the 28-year-old mother of two. The search will be headquartered at the Simpson Springs campground and will go from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

&#8220;It&#8217;s tough to say anything against volunteers because they&#8217;re well-intentioned and we wouldn&#8217;t want to put a damper on that,&#8221; said Park, who also heads up Tooele County Search and Rescue. &#8220;But when you start a search of this magnitude, it&#8217;s your responsibility to make sure everyone who goes out gets back safely.&#8221;

Wildlife, cold weather and abandoned mine shafts pose potential threats to the volunteers in what is an inhospitable area. There&#8217;s also a real possibility of searchers becoming lost, injured or dehydrated. &#8220;The other area of major concern is, we are painstakingly trained as to what is and isn&#8217;t evidence, and what might be evidence,&#8221; Park said. &#8220;With a bunch of volunteers walking around, they may not be aware and they may destroy evidence.&#8221;

When citizen searches for kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart were being conducted in Tooele County in 2002 and 2003, Park was kept well informed and very few problems arose, he said. But he worries this search for Powell could potentially bring a lot more people. &#8220;I just can&#8217;t have that many people out in this desert without having some support,&#8221; he said.

Park has spoken with several Tooele County Search and Rescue personnel who have said they&#8217;ll help, although he added the organization will not be officially aiding in the search. &#8220;We will have people in the area, just in case something does happen,&#8221; Park said.

*More at link!

Article:
http://www.tooeletranscript.com/vie...heriff-concerned?instance=home_news_1st_right
Susan Cox Powell Update: Tooele Sheriff Deputy on his way to West Desert
March 19, 3:19 PM
<snipped>
Thursday Examiner.com reported that a cement strip the size and shape of a human body was found in the West Desert in Utah by a person searching for clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell.

On February 16 Linda Osborne, who has been searching for clues into Susan's disappearance since December, was out searching in Utah's West Desert. She stumbled upon a concrete strip about 7' long and about 2.5' to 3' wide. One area of the strip was wider than the other, appearing it could be covering a body, the wider area possibly the size of a person's shoulders.

The area where Osborne located the cement strip is off of Hwy 80 near the Skull Valley Road off ramp, There is an old abandoned gas station at Rowley Junction. The cement strip is down a dirt road off of Skull Valley Road at Rowley Junction about 500 to 750 feet from the abandoned gas station.

She reported her findings to West Valley City Police and to the Tooele Sheriff's Department in February. She was dismayed to see no one had followed up and investigated her finding.

Friday Examiner.com spoke with Sheriff Frank Parks who said, "We've got a deputy on his way out there right now to see if he can locate it."

Cement strip found in West Desert, Utah
100319161637resized_Cement___Abandoned_Gas_Station_from_Linda_Osborne2.jpg

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...oele-Sheriff-Deputy-on-his-way-to-West-Desert
Search for Susan: cement strip in desert?
Last Update: 3/19 10:46 pm
<snipped>
Police received concerns about a cement strip found during a search for Susan Powell in the West Desert.

Police have received several tips on potential clues to Susan's disappearance since Demcember, but a body sized pouring of cement has some people wondering.

Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department sent a deputy out to locate and investigate the slab. At this time, investigators do not believe the cement strip is suspicious. However, they might be going back out soon to further investigate.

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...t-strip-in-desert/niFnNkcxxkCBIO2S2pvdMA.cspx
EXCLUSIVE: Susan Cox Powell's father journeys to Simpson Springs
Last Update: 3/19 10:57 pm
<snipped>
Chuck Cox spent the week in Utah listening to intense debriefings by West Valley police detectives on progress in the case of his missing daughter, Susan Cox Powell.

December 6th, 2009, Josh Powell said he took his two small boys to Simpson Springs. That was the last night anyone saw his wife, Susan. Chuck Cox said he had to see the place for himself.

As he drove off the pavement and onto the dirt road for the last 20-30 miles to the campground, he noted there were no lights or markings. It would have been a difficult drive at night -- especially with blowing snow. Cox observed, "My daughter never would have let him out of the house with the kids that night to go camping and I certainly don't believe he would head out in a snow storm."

Chuck Cox spent a half hour walking by himself among the fire pits and sagebrush. To finally see the place was something of a revelation -- not that he every really believed Josh's account of that night, but driving the roads and seeing it with his own eyes put the problems with the story into sharp relief.

He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it," he said. "The only hard thing is thinking she could be out there somewhere ... in another place like this."

Chuck Cox feels Simpson Springs does not hold the answer to his daughter's fate.

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...ather-journeys-to/zxmSjMgi20ulIg0NMT-gGw.cspx
Missing woman's father: Visit to campsite 'confirms it'
Story Published: Mar 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM PDT
Story Updated: Mar 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM PDT
<snipped>
Susan Powell's father no longer believes his son-in-law's story has any credibility. This week, Chuck Cox went to Simpson Springs in remote Tooele County in Utah. For the first time, he saw for himself the campground where Josh Powell claims he went the night his wife disappeared.

Cox believes on that December morning, the pass to the campsite would have been impassible, especially considering Josh Powell was driving a minivan with front-wheel drive and little clearance. "You get pulled into there, get stuck real easily in a car like this," he said, seeing potentially problematic areas.

At the campground, Cox ran into a scout troop from Riverton. It just so happened the troop was also camping at Simpson Springs on the weekend of Dec. 6, and left just as the flurries were starting.

He now firmly believes that whatever happened that night did not happen at Simpson Springs. "It confirms it. The only hard thing is thinking she could be out somewhere... a place like this," said Cox.

Article:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88714232.html

OMG! That photo.......it's like a punch in the stomach......

My prayer's go out to Susan's family. It must be living HE!! to have such questions and suspicions of their SIL who has custody of their beloved grandbabies.

This has to be gut-wrenching for them. Susan's case brings a reality check for me emotionally as she is only one year older than my own dear daughter.

Some of these case just get to ya, you know.....sniff......

Thanks Angel! for your dedication and time you put into this forum in order to keep us informed.

wm

Searching for Susan Cox Powell: Precious time lost, Part 1
March 19, 9:38 PM
<snipped>
Some believe precious time and opportunities were lost during the initial stages of Susan Cox Powell's disappearance and are frustrated at the lack of police-supported volunteer ground search efforts. 'Chuck and Mike were in Utah for four days," Shelby Gifford, spokesperson for Susan's family said. "They met with investigators twice and took two trips to the West Desert. Chuck wanted to see for himself how accessible the area was."

According to ABC4, who went along for the ride on one of the trips with Chuck Cox, after driving out there himself, Cox doesn't believe Josh could have taken Susan there. Not that night during a snowstorm, and not in the family minivan. Dr. Phil said he found it hard to believe Josh made it out there in the middle of the night during a snowstorm. Last month Dr. Phil sent a crew to the area where Josh claims he camped. They were unable to make it down the gravel road during daytime hours when it was not snowing.

Examiner.com asked Shawn Sorenson, one of the coordinators of the search, if the April 10 ground search effort in the Simpson Springs area is still on, despite what Chuck Cox is saying, and he responded in an email saying, "YES, YES, YES about the search at Simpson Springs Campground on April 10th."

Precious time lost
Given what Josh told police, Linda Osborne, who has been searching the West Desert since Susan went missing, questions why police did not hold a press conference, soliciting witnesses to Josh&#8217;s whereabouts the days surrounding Susan&#8217;s disappearance. Some people question why a massive police-supported volunteer ground search effort was not coordinated with people wiling to donate their time, experience, and equipment. "We (Strategic Tactical Group LLC and STG Investigations) contacted West Valley City Police Dept. in December and offered our assistance in a ground search," Chris Willden said, "and were told that no search was scheduled at the time. From our understanding and standpoint, the more people you have help in a search, the more ground can be covered. " Tom McLachlan of the West Valley Police Department said his department has spent thousands of hours searching for Susan by air, ground, and underground.

Release of the following information could have elicited witness statements revealing a direction of travel, places Josh stopped, camped, or possibly disposed of Susan&#8217;s body:

&#8226; Photos of Josh Powell
&#8226; Photos of the family van
&#8226; The van's license number
&#8226; Clothing descriptions
&#8226; Other identifying information

There were questions as to why Susan's friends and family were not more forthcoming with information. The reasons are two-fold. First, family and those closest to a potential victim are almost always asked by police to withhold certain information from the public as that information could hinder their investigation, potentially allowing a guilty person go free. Susan's friends and family, who, at one time, supported Josh and believed in his innocence, now question the possibility he could have in some way been involved. It has taken time for them to piece together a very complex puzzle, leaving them with questions about Josh's involvement in Susan's disappearance.

Slideshow: Searching for Susan Cox Powell, missing since Dec. 6, 2009
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/examinerslideshow.html?entryid=1101178

Detailed Timeline Of The Days Surrounding Susan's Disappearance:
http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...line-of-days-surrounding-Susans-disappearance

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...or-Susan-Cox-Powell-Precious-time-lost-Part-1
Searching for Susan Cox Powell: Hopes of coordinating ground search with police, Part 2
March 19, 9:43 PM
<snipped>
Small groups of volunteers have been searching the West Desert since December without the help of law enforcement. Now, a larger-scale ground search effort is being coordinated and volunteers would like support from the West Valley City Police.

Why won't police coordinate ground search with citizens?
Many have wondered why there hasn't been more of an on-the-ground search for Susan. It has been asked repeatedly why police are not responding to citizens who are asking why no police-supported volunteer ground searches are being coordinated when volunteers have offered their equipment, time, and services to conduct a search. Simply stated, the West Valley City Police does not support a volunteer ground search effort.

Tricia Griffith, Owner of True Crime Discussion Forum Websleuths.com, said, &#8220;Next to wanting to know what Josh&#8217;s part was in Susan&#8217;s disappearance, why the police won&#8217;t organize a search is the biggest question on everyone's mind. People from all over the world are perplexed as to why are they waiting so long.&#8221;

FBI Profiler Clint Van Zandt said Josh did not give an accurate statement of where he was, making it very difficult for police to conduct a ground search. "An initial search is done in part in hopes of finding a live victim possibly tied up in the woods," said Van Zandt. "That opportunity was lost because police did not know where to look."

Susan's best friend, Kiirsi Hellewell, said, "From the beginning, the topic of physically searching for Susan has been a difficult one. We know&#8212;and feel ourselves&#8212;the great frustration of not being able to physically look for Susan." "I wish I could organize big searches but we just don&#8217;t know where to look," Kiirsi said. "The area is so impossibly huge&#8212;all of Utah and its vast wilderness areas, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, and even farther&#8212;and without cooperation from Josh, we just don&#8217;t know where to start looking."

What West Valley City Police is Saying
West Valley City Police Captain Tom McLachlan told Examiner.com Wednesday, "The department has extensively searched the area where Josh claims he was the night Susan went missing. We don't publicize every time we go out and search. The department does not support volunteer ground search efforts. There's the possibility if evidence is found it could be tainted. We've spent thousands of hours searching. We've had a highly trained group doing broad air, ground, and underground searches."

"It's just not a user-friendly area," McLachlan warned. "That's why the West Valley City Police Department can't support volunteer ground searches. All we have is Josh's statement and while there could be a grain of truth in it, it's all we have." "There's also health issues - when I went out there I got huge bug bites with welts the size of silver dollars," McLachlan said. "I'm not sure people are thinking about these things."

Tooele County Sheriff Frank Parks offers assistance
Parks said the Sheriff's Department can't take responsibility for the search, but that they'll be close at hand to help if needed.

Coordinating with police
There's no law that states citizens can't go out and search for Susan. Some have been searching since Susan disappeared. Others would like to assist in the April 10 volunteer ground search. Searchers want to coordinate with police. They want guidelines. While the West Valley Police do not endorse the upcoming search those who are coordinating the search are reaching out to law enforcement for support and guidance. And those who have been searching for Susan on their own wish West Valley Police would be more forthcoming with information that would help narrow down their search.

There are issues that arise when ground searches are not coordinated with police. Of primary concern is preserving evidence. Other concerns include narrowing down the area where to perform the search and the safety of those performing searches. Joanne Bentley said, "We have every intention of planning with the police. But we aren't receiving any call back from them."

*Much more at link!

Coordinators of the April 10 volunteer ground search effort can be contacted through their websites:
http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com/ OR http://www.stginvestigations.com/

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...coordinating-ground-search-with-police-Part-2
Searching for Susan Cox Powell: Restrictions for searchers, Part 3
March 19, 9:47 PM
<snipped>
"We have no information to help localize areas to search except the tips we personally collect or for some psychic visions," she said. "I base my searching on research, i.e. what roads/trails could a minivan traverse in light snow, ideas from interviews, tips from friends as to places Josh is familiar with, camped before, etc. which does narrow it down for me." "Now it seems logical to wait until the spring or summer when the snow melts," said FBI Profiler Clint Van Zandt. "Because of the vast area where people would need to search - possibly encompassing five states - it makes it very difficult for police to organize a ground search."

"Still," Osborne said, "the task seems overwhelming due to the vase amount of land and/or water to search. We pay our own expenses (gas money) so this adds up without a specific area to focus on.

Frustrations and suggestions
"I have sent information on Texas Equusearch to police the first few days Susan was missing," Osborne said. "I also asked if they had checked residential security cameras for traffic out of the area of Susan's home that night when Josh left and after, in addition to any highway or business cameras in the area in case she had to walk away from the home for some reason since Josh had their only vehicle," she said.

"I've asked police if they can organize a search and provide us with locations they would like searched," Linda added. "It would only take one officer to handle the grid map of a search area and instruct volunteers on what to and not to do should they find anything." Osborne said she got no response until about her third request and heard from them after several weeks stating that they don't need any help.

Osborne isn't the only one who contacted police. Chris Willden, of Bountiful, contacted West Valley City police in December, shortly after Susan was reported missing, to ask if he could assist in any volunteer search. The Police Department said it wasn't organizing volunteer search parties, he said. Osborne would like answers as to why certain things happened since Susan's disappearance. "One person did help me by describing places Josh had camped or explored. I used that information and mapped out areas where a minivan could traverse those desolate areas, which narrowed it down considerably, and began searching," she said.

She said she's contacted friends of Susan and Josh to get information that could help, such as where the couple may have camped previously. Osborne said it's frustrating when people have information they won't share. It's been three months since Susan disappeared. People are seeking answers. They would like to know what reason police have for not moving forward with a massive ground search for Susan.

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...-Cox-Powell-Restrictions-for-searchers-Part-3
Searching for Susan Cox Powell: What searchers need, Part 4
March 19, 9:53 PM
<snipped>
Susan Cox Powell has been missing for nearly three months. The public has anxiously awaited springtime hoping a large ground search effort would be coordinated and their time, skills, and equipment could be utilized in trying to find Susan.

Searcher's perspective on what is needed
"We need the police to give us area(s) they would like searched," Osborne said. "They do not have to release evidence or information on the case to us, but they do have information to significantly narrow down the search areas such as:

*Cell pings from two different phones
*Mileage on the rental vehicle
*Type of rental vehicle (4WD, AWD, 2WD, truck, etc.)
*Any internal GPS information on where Josh took the rental vehicle when he was gone all day
*Location of any credit/debit card charges for gas, food, etc.
*Information to narrow down location by dirt samples from shoes, vehicle carpets, undercarriage
*Information from any witnesses including the oldest son, Charlie, as to what the areas looked like where they went
*Information from those who know the couple as to where they like to go, camp, bird watch, rock hunt, etc.
*I do have this now, but what Susan was last seen wearing

"Police could either organize a massive volunteer search utilizing volunteers with cadaver dogs, or request assistance from a large volunteer search service like Texas Equusearch (TES)," Osborne said. According to Osborne this organization utilizes drone planes to fly over both sides of trails, roads, taking high resolution video of each side of the road for viewing on computer monitors. http://texasequusearch.org/.

"Many of us are hoping that the police know something and they are holding it back from us," said Tricia Griffith, Owner of True Crime Discussion Forum Websleuths.com, said. "This would be information that would explain why - why in the world no one in an official capacity would help those who want to search. My heart tells me this has got to be the case."

It's been three months since Susan disappeared. People are seeking answers. They would like to know what reasons police have for not supporting a massive ground search for Susan.

"If you knew any of us," Sorenson said, "you would know that we don't want the spot light on us. But the need has arisen to tell people the upside of an organized search of the West Desert. We are going to search somewhere that is in question. Then if there is another reasonable location, we'll search there. But we feel confident with this location that has been chosen."

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...r-Susan-Cox-Powell-What-searchers-need-Part-4
Susan Cox Powell Update: Detectives plan to 'flip' cement in the desert
March 21, 4:52 PM
<snipped>
There is a possibility the cement strip is nothing more than a dump truck driver cleaning out his load, yet there's a possibility it could be someone's loved one underneath the cement. Regardless what it is, people believe it's worthy of an investigation. The Tooele County Sheriff's Office agreed to investigate.

After going out to find the cement strip on Friday, Deputy N. Collins went again on Saturday to meet Linda Osborne, who initially located the cement strip. Once the deputy confirmed the cement strip and heard Osborne's concerns, he requested she stay away from the strip. Osborne said, "The deputy requested I not get any closer in order to protect possible evidence. We were about 25' away from the cement strip."

Tooele Sheriff's Department Sgt. Gowans told Examiner.com Sunday morning that he is urging citizens to stay away from the area where the cement strip has been located until investigators have a chance to go and flip the cement, which he hopes will happen Monday. He has asked Examiner.com to contact the sheriff Monday afternoon for an update. People are pleased that Tooele County Sheriff's office has acted so quickly and are taking this seriously.

A concerned citizen who wishes to remain anonymous said on Sunday morning he and his family drove out to the area where the abandoned gas station is, close to where the cement strip is located, and that he was shocked to see no police in the area and no police tape blocking people from entering an area where he believes the concrete strip should be.

*More at link!

Slideshow: Susan Cox Powell missing: Cement strip found in West Desert
http://www.examiner.com/ExaminerSlideshow.html?entryID=1101967

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...-Detectives-plan-to-flip-cement-in-the-desert
Friends of Susan Powell suspect that her body made be hidden in concrete slab
March 21, 8:39 PM
<snipped>
Linda Osbourne is one the searchers. According to ABC 4, Osbourne found the concrete slab that is approximately seven feet long and three feet wide. Osbourne suspects the cement could be covering a body.

Friday, the Tooele County Sheriff's department went out to take a look at the slab. Investigators said that they didn&#8217;t believe the slab was suspicious, but intend to go back out Monday and turn the concrete slab over to see if anything can be seen. Investigators have asked that searchers for Susan Powell&#8217;s body stay away from the concrete slab until they get a chance to look at it closer.

Article:
http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Sal...ody-made-be-hidden-in-concrete-slab-see-photo
New concerns about planned search for Susan Powell
Last Update: 1:09 am
<snipped>
But there is growing concern over that search from the Tooele County Sheriff, the Cox family and the Bureau of Land Management.

The BLM's concerns: Where are all those searchers going to park? Even if they come four to a car, two thousand searchers would mean 500 cars in a place that can't handle a fraction of that number. What's more, taking any vehicle off the roads is strictly forbidden.

On Friday, Chuck Cox journeyed with ABC 4 to Simpson Springs. He made it clear the family does not endorse the search. "We're not part of that search," he said. Primarily, the family is worried for the safety of the volunteers. "Depending on how many people you had up here, it could be dangerous," Cox explained. "I don't know that it would be worth the risk."

Tooele County Sheriff Frank Park said he's already said "no" to taking over the search. "No chance at all. We'll be there -- we'll be present -- but I can't handle that kind of liability to have two-thousand volunteers marching through the desert. No way," he said.

The Cox family remains very grateful for all the people who are willing to help them in their time of desperate need. But the family believes the help is needed elsewhere, not in Utah's west desert.

Video: New concerns about planned search for Susan Powell 4:13
More concerns about a planned search for Susan Cox Powell are being raised by the BLM, Tooele County Sheriff and even the Cox family.
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=96842@ktvx.dayport.com&navCatId=8

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/sto...-for-Susan-Powell/4bqHjEihG0K1aYZpBxo0iQ.cspx

"Investigators have asked that searchers for Susan Powell's body stay away
from the concrete slab until they get a chance to look at it closer"

Until they get a chance????? PLEASE!!!

That cement strip is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in my life. Freezes the blood just to look at it.

Brent Hunsaker - My ride to the west desert with Susan Powell&#8217;s father.
Last Update: 10:07 am
<snipped>
Chuck has learned the balancing act. He walks a thin line between keeping up the pressure on Josh Powell to cooperate with police while not becoming his prosecutor and judge.

With that as backdrop, Friday afternoon photographer Matt Lee and I met Chuck Cox and his friend, Mike Gifford, in the parking lot of the McDonald&#8217;s in Tooele where we began our journey into the west desert. The afternoon was mostly Sunny, with the temperature in the mid-40&#8217;s. There was also a cold, gusting wind that bit through jackets and made eyes water. The cold and the isolation of the place were something of a revelation.

Chuck had almost made it out to Simpson Springs the previous day with a police detective. But after a few miles down the dirt road of the old Pony Express Trail, he said he &#8220;got the point&#8221; and asked to turn around. He did not wish to waste the detective&#8217;s time.

As we drove that next day I had no idea how after we would go. This was only my 2nd trip down the trail and my first to Simpson Springs. I too wanted to see for myself this place where Josh Powell says he took his boys on the night his wife disappeared, but I deferred to Chuck the final decision. It is his daughter who is missing and his son-in-law&#8217;s story. We would go only as far as he wanted to go.

On the high wire, Chuck Cox is also trying to balance the welfare of &#8220;the ninety and nine&#8221; while still going after she who is lost.

Monument near Simpson Springs campground.
Original.jpg

Video: EXCLUSIVE: Susan Cox Powell's Father Journey 3:22
http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=96817@ktvx.dayport.com&navCatId=8

Related Link:
This is the BLM website on Simpson Springs
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_lake/recreation/camping/simspson_springs.html

Article:
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4...-west-desert-with/fkTWAxuCK0eg60RkyrnE6g.cspx

Tribune drops suit to see Susan Powell documents
Courts » Sensitive investigation information cited.

Updated: 03/24/2010 09:30:52 PM MDT
<snipped>
Search warrants discussing the investigation of the Susan Powell disappearance will remain closed.

An attorney for The Tribune on Tuesday withdrew the newspaper's lawsuit to open the warrants. An order, agreed to by the newspaper and attorneys representing law enforcement with the dismissal, says the warrants "include some detailed explanations of certain investigative techniques being used in this matter as well the thoughts and reactions of certain investigators regarding the developing evidence, some of which is not known to the public or involved persons."

The warrants also discuss witnesses who "could face a substantial risk of possible harm" if identified, the order states.

Search warrants and the written explanation for why police want them typically are public in Utah, but West Valley City police and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office persuaded a judge to seal the Powell search warrants.

Article:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14752227

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads