Former Penn State President Graham Spanier has been charged with several counts

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The full grand jury presentment and dockets for Spanier, Curley and Schultz can be read here:

Presentment (PDF)
http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2012/11/01/12/53/1nalH6.So.42.pdf

Spanier Docket (PDF)
http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2012/11/01/12/09/1sGEKX.So.42.pdf

Schultz Docket (PDF)
http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2012/11/01/11/58/knbSb.So.42.pdf

Curley Docket (PDF)
http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2012/11/01/11/57/Z0xec.So.42.pdf

I just started reading them. Not a lot of new information, yet, but there are 58 pages, many of them copies of handwritten notes and emails.

Charges brought against Spanier, and additional charges for Curley and Schultz:

http://www.whptv.com/content/Breaki...aham-Spanier-Gary/b7VSk03CHkq1uuCUipqG4Q.cspx

Power finally back on in my area of NJ - no work yet, I got to see the presser, and it's finally getting warm!

nittanylioness, thanks for posting these charges against the Penn State officials. I sit and shake my head when I realize how deep a cover-up went.

Hope you're doing better and Sandy (that *****) didn't cause much harm in your life. Keep us posted on your storm situation. I'm sure I'm safe in saying we all care about your welfare.

WOW, I missed a lot in the past couple of days...thanks to everyone for posting about the new charges and the documents, especially for Spanier.

Reading the new GJ presentiment, it's mind boggling all the lies and cover up that went on with Curley, Schultz and Spanier...Spanier was lying to his own general counsel, Baldwin, the Board of Trustees and to the Freeh group over and over until the end.

Here's an article about them fighting the new charges:

Tim Curley, Gary Schultz to fight child endangerment, obstruction charges

LINGLESTOWN, Dauphin County — The attorney for retired Penn State administrator Gary Schultz said Friday his client, former athletic director Tim Curley and ex-President Graham Spanier have done too much good in their careers to have purposely covered up abuse allegations against Jerry Sandusky.

“If you’re going to charge these kinds of people who have done such good, you got to take a step back, first of all, and think, (could) people who dedicated their lives — people who could make a king’s fortune in private industry — do such a thing intentionally?” said Tom Farrell, after his client and Curley were arraigned in suburban Harrisburg on charges of child endangerment, obstruction of justice and conspiracy. “People of this character do not do, have not done, what they’re charged with.”.............

Spanier is out of state and is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday morning at the same district court office.

The preliminary hearing is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 12, but Wenner did not sound optimistic that the date would hold............

While Roberto and Farrell did not comment about the allegations their clients are facing, they criticized former Penn State counsel Cynthia Baldwin, who heard the two men testify to the grand jury and later testified herself, and accused her of violating attorney-client privilege...........more......

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/11/...ltz-arraigned.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Penn State ex-President Spanier arraigned

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ws_id=19133489&src=most_popular_viewed&page=1

...........Spanier, accompanied by his wife, signed paperwork after his bail was set at $125,000, but he was not required to post any of that amount. He was ordered to forfeit his passport and be fingerprinted. He didn't enter a plea.........

Spanier, 64, was charged last week with perjury, obstruction, endangering the welfare of children, failure to properly report suspected abuse and conspiracy for his actions in response to complaints about Sandusky showering with children. Spanier has claimed he is being framed for political purposes...........

On Monday, state prosecutors filed paperwork telling the judge in the earlier Curley and Schultz case they did not object to their request to delay the planned Jan. 7 start of that trial. The attorney general's office said it would seek to combine those charges, the new charges, and Spanier's case..........

Spanier's lawyers put out a statement law week that accused Gov. Tom Corbett, who was attorney general when the investigation began, of orchestrating the charges to divert attention from questions about why it took three years to bring charges against Sandusky. They said there was no factual basis for the Spanier charges and said the grand jury report was "a politically motivated frame-up of an innocent man."

Corbett spokesman Kevin Harley said Spanier's lawyers "are trying to divert attention from the fact that their client is charged with covering up for a convicted pedophile. The law applies to all equally, including men entrusted with the authority of university president."

OH OH. I hope her actions do not damage the case against these guys. But it sounds like it might. :mad:

While her actions have been more than questionable throughout this scandal, I can't imagine that will be an effective defense against perjuring oneself before the Grand Jury, and it should have no impact on the obstruction, conspiracy, and failure to report charges. Then again, could they get earlier statements tossed if it is seen that they were effectively "denied" counsel? (Just thinking aloud here) The fact that she testified to the GJ about the defendants' involvement is troubling, especially after being in the courtroom to hear their earlier testimony.

However, I wonder if, after a conviction, they would have any standing for an appeal based on ineffective counsel, even though she clearly isn't representing them at trial. If they can present a convincing case that she presented herself to Curley and Schultz as their counsel for GJ proceedings, I don't know if they can get a redo or not, since their trial counsel won't be the issue.

I would be curious to know what e-mails they may have from her prior to their GJ testimony; could be key to how they perceived her involvement.

While her actions have been more than questionable throughout this scandal, I can't imagine that will be an effective defense against perjuring oneself before the Grand Jury, and it should have no impact on the obstruction, conspiracy, and failure to report charges. Then again, could they get earlier statements tossed if it is seen that they were effectively "denied" counsel? (Just thinking aloud here) The fact that she testified to the GJ about the defendants' involvement is troubling, especially after being in the courtroom to hear their earlier testimony.

However, I wonder if, after a conviction, they would have any standing for an appeal based on ineffective counsel, even though she clearly isn't representing them at trial. If they can present a convincing case that she presented herself to Curley and Schultz as their counsel for GJ proceedings, I don't know if they can get a redo or not, since their trial counsel won't be the issue.

I would be curious to know what e-mails they may have from her prior to their GJ testimony; could be key to how they perceived her involvement.

BBM

I think it is the bolded part above, that is the most problematic for the prosecution now. This woman was in their presence, when the defendants thought she was their attorney. And so they would speak very candidly, in a way they would not if she were NOT representing them. And then she testifies against them, using what she heard earlier, by misrepresenting herself. That shady incident could taint the entire Grand Jury proceedings, imo.

All of that is very troubling. I am not sure it happened that way exactly, but I bet the defense team will try and paint it that way.

A small part of me wonders if perhaps she heard what the defendants said about their actions, and she was so horrified that she too it upon herself to speak the truth. I can understand her feelings, but it is not the right thing to do. Our Justice System depends upon firm rules, many which seem to protect the defendants. But if YOU are the one on trial, they would preserve your rights as well. Innocent people do go to trial too.

ETA: From the link above:

"She has since turned state's evidence, gone before the same grand jury as a witness, and testified about what the trio told her - in what they thought was confidence. Baldwin is helping to make the state's case against Curley, Schultz and Spanier much to the shock and dismay of their lawyers."

BBM

I think it is the bolded part above, that is the most problematic for the prosecution now. This woman was in their presence, when the defendants thought she was their attorney. And so they would speak very candidly, in a way they would not if she were NOT representing them. And then she testifies against them, using what she heard earlier, by misrepresenting herself. That shady incident could taint the entire Grand Jury proceedings, imo.

All of that is very troubling. I am not sure it happened that way exactly, but I bet the defense team will try and paint it that way.

A small part of me wonders if perhaps she heard what the defendants said about their actions, and she was so horrified that she too it upon herself to speak the truth. I can understand her feelings, but it is not the right thing to do. Our Justice System depends upon firm rules, many which seem to protect the defendants. But if YOU are the one on trial, they would preserve your rights as well. Innocent people do go to trial too.

ETA: From the link above:

"She has since turned state's evidence, gone before the same grand jury as a witness, and testified about what the trio told her - in what they thought was confidence. Baldwin is helping to make the state's case against Curley, Schultz and Spanier much to the shock and dismay of their lawyers."

I have been very critical of Baldwin's role in the scandal ever since I read that she offered to write "talking points" for Paterno before he testified to the Grand Jury, an offer that he refused. To me, that seemed like she was trying to coordinate all of the men's testimonies. Paterno was also wise enough to take his own representation, unlike Curley and Schultz, two educated men who somehow both had the mistaken belief that Baldwin was representing them.

After all, all she did was drive them to the GJ appearance "as a courtesy", sat with them as they testified, didn't correct either of them or correct the record when each announced that they were accompanied by their counsel Cynthia Baldwin, and if she offered to write talking points for Paterno, it is hard to imagine that she didn't similarly prep Curley and Schultz for their testimony.

It is reflected in the transcript of their testimonies: “Good morning, my name is Tim Curley.” “Do you have counsel with you?” “Yes I do. … My counsel is Cynthia Baldwin.” Schultz was asked: “You are accompanied today by counsel, Cynthia Baldwin. Is that correct?” “That is correct.”

Yet this bright legal mind, formerly a state Supreme Court Justice, apparently wasn't paying attention or didn't think it was important enough to interrupt the proceedings to correct either of them.

Also, to return to the thread topic of Spanier, several trustees told the New York Times that Baldwin and Spanier briefed the board of trustees together, and Baldwin told the gathering that the investigation concerned the Second Mile, not Penn State. This occurred in May, after she had personally received the subpoenas for Paterno, Spanier, Curley and Schultz and had listened to their testimony to the Grand Jury.

If she somehow escapes this situation without some form of bar sanction for ethics violations, I have to think it could only be due to skillful backroom politics on her behalf. Of course, the Second Mile leadership, DPW, Atty Courtney, and many others have so far avoided too much scrutiny, so her cooperation with the Grand Jury and the Attorney General's office might be enough to keep her out of the line of fire.

MOO

The trustees apparently back up Baldwin's story that she was "excused" by Spanier and that she never was permitted to make a presentation about what was said inside the grand jury.

Baldwin was answerable to Spanier. The Board never asked her.

From the CDT:
In April 2011, Baldwin was then part of a conference call with then-President Graham Spanier and then-board Chairman Steve Garban about the grand jury investigation. At the trustees’ next board meeting in May, Baldwin briefed the board on the grand jury investigation but downplayed its importance and didn’t explain why Spanier, Curley, Schultz and Paterno testified, Freeh’s report says.
According to Freeh, trustees remembered the briefing from Baldwin differently. Some said they were left with the impression the investigation was of The Second Mile and not Penn State. Others remembered being told it was the third or fourth time a grand jury had investigated Sandusky and that criminal charges wouldn’t be likely. The takeaway message was that it wasn’t something to be concerned with, trustees told Freeh investigators.
Baldwin told Freeh investigators that she spoke of the grand jury investigation at the meeting but was directed by Spanier to leave after a short time.

The trustees apparently back up Baldwin's story that she was "excused" by Spanier and that she never was permitted to make a presentation about what was said inside the grand jury.

Baldwin was answerable to Spanier. The Board never asked her.

Bolded by me

I am not sure this is how it functions. From my experience with public school districts, the solicitor (similar to Baldwin's role as in-house counsel) represents and answers to the Board, as does the Superintendent (similar to Spanier's role as University President).

While I imagine the President can ask counsel to perform standard tasks, I believe Baldwin's "client" would be considered the Board of Trustees.

Bolded by me

I am not sure this is how it functions. From my experience with public school districts, the solicitor (similar to Baldwin's role as in-house counsel) represents and answers to the Board, as does the Superintendent (similar to Spanier's role as University President).

While I imagine the President can ask counsel to perform standard tasks, I believe Baldwin's "client" would be considered the Board of Trustees.

Under the rules in place at the time, Baldwin was answerable to Spanier. She could only report to the Board if Spanier permitted it. It is actually listed in their "Orders," specifically Order IX, Sections A and B.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/charter.html

Under the rules in place at the time, Baldwin was answerable to Spanier. She could only report to the Board if Spanier permitted it. It is actually listed in their "Orders," specifically Order IX, Sections A and B.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/charter.html

Thanks. I didn't actually see anything there spelling out the relationship between the University General Counsel and the BOT/President though.
(a) Chief Executive Officer. The Board of Trustees hereby directs that the
President of the University, subject to the revisions and orders of the
Board, shall be chief executive officer of the University, consistent with
such orders of the Board. He/she shall be responsible only to the Board
and shall report to the Board.
(b) Duties as Chief Executive Officer. The President, as chief administrative
officer, shall carry out all orders and directives of the Board of Trustees
and shall administer all policies of the Board. The President shall also
administer all policies established by him/her and by the faculty. The
President may delegate such administrative authority as he/she deems
appropriate to his/her staff, to the Treasurer, to the deans of the various
administrative units, and to others, who shall exercise such delegated

authority in the name of the President.

I did find this however, from the PSU Office of General Counsel site:
The current staff includes the general counsel, an associate general counsel, two assistant general counsels, two paralegals and an administrative assistant. The General Counsel reports directly to the President and the Board of Trustees.
http://ogc.psu.edu/

So according to this, her responsibility was to both Spanier and the Board. She definitely should have done a better job of briefing the board, especially since she sat in on all the Grand Jury testimony as a representative of the University. If she had concerns at that time about how Spanier was managing the upcoming crisis, she certainly didn't show it, although she was in better position than anyone else to see the storm brewing on the horizon.

The rule, the Standing Order, is what binds the board. The President determines who gets to report to the Board.

The rule, the Standing Order, is what binds the board. The President determines who gets to report to the Board.

JJ, I know that you are an expert on Rules of Order and meeting protocol such as that, but I see nowhere in what you posted or what I read that states that ONLY the President or his assignees may report to the Board, and I cannot imagine that the Board would want it that way. It states that he is responsible only to the board, but does not state that only he reports to the BOT.

If I am missing the passage you intended, could you please copy/paste it here for me? I respect your knowledge in this area, but I have seen too many contrary indicators (the trustees memories of the briefing, the General Counsel webpage, and my own understanding) to accept your interpretation without reading it in writing.

I'm going to do some more research as I await your response. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add:
Out of curiosity, I emailed the Office of General Counsel to ask for clarification. If I get a response, I will share it here so we can be certain.

Sure:

2. Reports and information required. This delegation of authority
requires that the Board rely on the judgment and decisions of
those who operate under its authority. However, this reliance of
the Board must be based upon its continuing awareness of the
operations of the University. Therefore, the Board shall receive
and consider thorough and forthright reports on the affairs of the
University by the President or those designated by the President.

It has a continuing obligation to require information or answers on
any University matter with which it is concerned.

(Emphasis added.)

The President (in this case, Spanier), either reports directly or designates who can report. The president doesn't want something reported, he simply prohibits that person from reporting.

The Board could suspend that rule, or amend it, or could instruct the President to require the person to report (under penalty of firing), but the person wanting to report cannot without the President's permission. I'll lay odds that the Trustees never realized that.

In the specific case, the rule granted Spanier the authority to determine who would and who wouldn't report. He, acting under this rule, told Baldwin to leave. Baldwin, under the rule, didn't have the authority to tell the Board.

Ironically, the rule is still in place. Erickson could get information from some employee and decide not to permit the person to report it. Erickson, hopefully, would not be that inept, politically.

I'll add that I checked the minutes of May 13, 2011 meeting, and the wording of the rule has not changed.

In an interview with the Pittsburg Post-Gazette published November 6, Rodney Erickson said that “he was called to testify Sept. 11 before a state grand jury investigating the case. "The judge gave me specific instructions that I was not to reveal anything about the nature of the testimony other than I had testified if asked," Mr. Erickson said."

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12311/1274770-298.stm
This contradicts what has been said about witnesses being free to tell their own stories. If true, could Spanier have been told the same thing bu the same or a different judge? Meaning he didn’t lie to the trustees when he said he couldn’t talk?

Or, is Erickson also lying?

In an interview with the Pittsburg Post-Gazette published November 6, Rodney Erickson said that “he was called to testify Sept. 11 before a state grand jury investigating the case. "The judge gave me specific instructions that I was not to reveal anything about the nature of the testimony other than I had testified if asked," Mr. Erickson said."

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12311/1274770-298.stm
This contradicts what has been said about witnesses being free to tell their own stories. If true, could Spanier have been told the same thing bu the same or a different judge? Meaning he didn’t lie to the trustees when he said he couldn’t talk?

Or, is Erickson also lying?

According to the presentment, the judge, in that case, specifically told Spanier that he could. The judge can give different instructions to different people.

Or, it could be something else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam
Back