Found Deceased France - Maëlys De Araujo, 9, Pont-de-Beauvoisin, 27 Aug 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It's known that he has been in trouble with the Law for drugs, theft from vehicles, and has an arson conviction (1 year sentence in 2008 for the last one). According to his family members, the drug charges date from "many years ago"/"his youth". This has been reported in French MSM.

RUMOUR (NB: NOT reported in MSM) has it that he may have been discharged from the army on medical grounds.

Other than 5 years as a dog-handler in the army, he has never had a steady job, only part-time, temporary or seasonal work. He has been on sick leave (invalidity) allegedly, for the last few months because of back problems.

There are, as far as I can see, but I have only just started looking, no other recent unsolved missing children's cases in the area.

Thank you so much for all the detailed information that you have provided. Here, with my questions, along with all you have contributed in the thread.

I saw this alert pop up initially, and was so hopeful she had just wandered nearby. Maybe playing hide and seek with some of the older children. And then evil entered this beautiful young child's life.

It is a defect in our genetics, that allows some of our human beings, to hurt fellow human beings. Similar to the defect that allows us to make wars with one another. We get rid of these defects, and the world is safe for every single human being on this planet.
/Rant

All MHO as always :)

Aha! That is good to know. I have no FB so I do miss a lot. Usually I do not mind, and maybe I do not mind in this case either. I have seen a lot of drivel on other forums. Won't repeat that here.

The detail about the security cameras was particularly striking because IMHO there would not be that many along the road, this is the countryside and we are not in the centre of Paris where cameras will follow every step of the way-- and how many of those cameras would be pointed at the road? Then again, it would take only one or cameras at crucial points to tell a story.

So let's hope LE will end up finding as many cameras as rumour wants them to.

One thing I am pretty certain about though from other sources is that he arrived at around 11 o'clock at the party. I wonder what he did between the toast and the dessert. There were other gatherings nearby, would he have gone there to sell drugs?

This coming and going of his is so odd. I can understand that someone would leave after the toast and come back after the dinner. But then leave again for an hour and return and leave again....?? He might even have joined another party and been partying at two places at the same time. Like a true bigamist, feastwise.

BBM: thank you for making me laugh with that wonderful turn of phrase. A light spot in the darkness of this case.

Re the comings and goings: MSM has him invited (possibly last minute?) to the pre-dinner drinks, and dessert (by implication the after-dinner party bit of the evening). That sounds reasonable to me (lived in France for quite a long time & it happens). 11pm/23:00 also sounds reasonable to me for the time he might have returned (after dinner).

So yes, where did he go during the dinner interval? Loads of possibilities, IMO: home. Dinner. Walking the dogs [that's a bit of sarcasm, btw]. Hanging out with friends. Hanging out in the parking lot. The village bar*. Meeting a dealer. Etc etc.

*There was an event at the village bar/vape store (they are next door to each other) that night. While the vape store stayed open into the early hours (participants saw & heard LE arriving), the bar apparently closed up around midnight, IIRC (source: France Soir).

There was also an event at another community hall close by, involving teenagers/"young people" (same source).

As I type this, I've just realized we're all making a GLARING assumption that could be all kinds of wrong, and which should have been staring me in the face for a while:

We have statements that he left the reception and went back (at least once). The (last?) time he left was around the time Maelys went missing. I DON'T recall (BUT I WILL GO AND CHECK) that there's been any confirmation/report that he returned to the site after that, although we have been assuming that he did.

It's possible that he did leave and go back (more than once) BEFORE Maelys went missing, then left again (for good) around the crucial moment.

I have to go do some more reading & research, but first I'm going to get some real life stuff done!!

SEARCHES IN DE GORGES DE CHAILLES INTERRUPTED DUE TO BAD WEATHER

FRANCE3
http://france3-regions.francetvinfo...uspendues-gorges-chailles-savoie-1324929.html

Due to bad weather conditions, searches in the Gorges de Chailles were interrupted this Saturday, September 9,2017. Despite everything, the investigation continues to find Maelys, who disappeared almost two weeks ago at a wedding in Pont-de-Beauvoisin.

For three days, the searches were concentrated in the Gorges de Chailles in Savoie. A very difficult area to reach, only a few kilometres from the suspect's main residence.

The investigators were hoping to find a clue as to where the girl was located.

But this Saturday, the search was suspended in the gorges. Rain, fog... The visibility in the water was too bad.

BBM

Heavy rains can be very dangerous in a canyon. According to Meteo.fr the rain in Pont-de-Beauvoisin was more like drizzle. Tomorrow's forecast looks better, so let's hope the searches can continue.

[/b]

BBM: thank you for making me laugh with that wonderful turn of phrase. A light spot in the darkness of this case.

Re the comings and goings: MSM has him invited (possibly last minute?) to the pre-dinner drinks, and dessert (by implication the after-dinner party bit of the evening). That sounds reasonable to me (lived in France for quite a long time & it happens). 11pm/23:00 also sounds reasonable to me for the time he might have returned (after dinner).

So yes, where did he go during the dinner interval? Loads of possibilities, IMO: home. Dinner. Walking the dogs [that's a bit of sarcasm, btw]. Hanging out with friends. Hanging out in the parking lot. The village bar*. Meeting a dealer. Etc etc.

*There was an event at the village bar/vape store (they are next door to each other) that night. While the vape store stayed open into the early hours (participants saw & heard LE arriving), the bar apparently closed up around midnight, IIRC (source: France Soir).

There was also an event at another community hall close by, involving teenagers/"young people" (same source).

As I type this, I've just realized we're all making a GLARING assumption that could be all kinds of wrong, and which should have been staring me in the face for a while:

We have statements that he left the reception and went back (at least once). The (last?) time he left was around the time Maelys went missing. I DON'T recall (BUT I WILL GO AND CHECK) that there's been any confirmation/report that he returned to the site after that, although we have been assuming that he did.

It's possible that he did leave and go back (more than once) BEFORE Maelys went missing, then left again (for good) around the crucial moment.

I have to go do some more reading & research, but first I'm going to get some real life stuff don
e!!

That^^^ is crucial, in my opinion. What was the timing of his arrivals and departures? I wish we had an exact time of his return.

Sweet child goes missing between 2:45 and 3 am. Where was he, exactly?

Could he have groomed her all evening, and then around 2:45 says to her, 'sneak out here quietly and I will take you to see the new puppies. You can pick out out for yourself to keep. '

...so she does so, and he has her laying in the boot of the car, and leaves as everyone is beginning their search.

That^^^ is crucial, in my opinion. What was the timing of his arrivals and departures? I wish we had an exact time of his return.

Could he have groomed her all evening, and then around 2:45 says to her, 'sneak out here quietly and I will take you to see the new puppies. You can pick out out for yourself to keep. '

...so she does so, and he has her laying in the boot of the car, and leaves as everyone is beginning their search.

I'm no further forward pinning down more exact times for NL's comings and goings, so for the moment I'm leaving my timeline as it stands, although I'm no longer assuming he came back to the reception site after it was noticed that Maelys was missing. I'll edit timeline to reflect this possibility.

Yes. It's known that he has been in trouble with the Law for drugs, theft from vehicles, and has an arson conviction (1 year sentence in 2008 for the last one). According to his family members, the drug charges date from "many years ago"/"his youth". This has been reported in French MSM.

RUMOUR (NB: NOT reported in MSM) has it that he may have been discharged from the army on medical grounds.

Other than 5 years as a dog-handler in the army, he has never had a steady job, only part-time, temporary or seasonal work. He has been on sick leave (invalidity) allegedly, for the last few months because of back problems.

There are, as far as I can see, but I have only just started looking, no other recent unsolved missing children's cases in the area.

Bumping my own post because I did find a media article on this:

http://www.lunion.fr/48406/article/...e-suspect-ete-militaire-suippes-dans-la-marne

"According to his lawyer, Maitre Meraud, he was a doghandler in the 132 dog battalion of the army at Suippes for 5 years, apparently from 2002 until 2007.

A source close to the investigation says that he was discharged from the army for 'unstable psychological behaviour*'."

* My note: this is a standard and vague term which can cover anything from depression to serious mental disorders. I'm not going overboard about it, yet.

After a bit of digging, some of the info in that Italian article is apparently circulating in the Portuguese press too, and the Portuguese press - IIUC - has some theories & allegations we have not seen reported in the French media.

Note that I don't have any knowledge of Portuguese at all, so had to use google translate (which I don't trust because I know how badly it can mangle the languages I DO speak) thus this last comment is JMO, IMO, not at all verified.

His "round trip" that night was confirmed by his mother:

Arrivé tardivement à la fête de mariage, l'ancien militaire s'est absenté dans la soirée pour "changer son short taché de vin". Il l'aurait ensuite jeté à la poubelle sur la voie publique car trop vieux et trop sali. Un aller-retour en pleine soirée confirmé par la mère du suspect.Mais le short, reste à ce jour, introuvable. Selon son avocat, cet aller-retour "est antérieur au moment de la constatation de la disparition de la fillette", vers 3h du matin.

https://actu.orange.fr/france/disparition-de-maelys-ou-en-est-l-enquete-CNT000000NkTIp.html

IMHO LE will keep the details of the timeline for themselves.
They have spoken with many people who were present at the party, they also spoke with the mother of the suspect. How I'd love to know what she did or did not tell them about her son returning home in the night to change his short!

Speaking of grooming, yes I also think he was doing that in a certain manner, but there was no way he could count on the outcome in a hall full of people. And he leaves a few times. Fat chance that the girl has gone home with her family when he returns in the early hours of the morning.

If he left indeed to change his short, and returned while Maëlys was still around, there must have been some chance encounter, a split second in which he could grab her and get away unseen. He would have been 'lucky' in a sense, because guests were leaving and the only way out is via the entrance of the car park.

The wine-stained short remains missing. Assuming for the sake of the investigation that this short exists, and that it got stained with wine during the party, the question is: how did that happen?
IMHO the most likely way to stain your short or your pants during a party is when you collide with someone. Either you stumble and topple your glass, or someone else stumbles and spills the wine from his glass on your short. A moment of OOPS! and MERDE! and SO SORRY!

There must be witnesses to this unhappy event. The disaster can be investigated, even if it took only two minutes and everybody went back to dancing.
If witnesses come forward then at least we will know that those pants were stained there and then. If no one comes forward, then the wine-stains on the short will probably go the way of the blonde-haired boy who climbed into the car: non existent.

BTW I do not believe one bit of those wine spots. I have dogs, and I wear old pants at home and for walks. That's what I keep my old clothes for, and stains don't matter.

I'm no further forward pinning down more exact times for NL's comings and goings, so for the moment I'm leaving my timeline as it stands, although I'm no longer assuming he came back to the reception site after it was noticed that Maelys was missing. I'll edit timeline to reflect this possibility.

After a bit of digging, some of the info in that Italian article is apparently circulating in the Portuguese press too, and the Portuguese press - IIUC - has some theories & allegations we have not seen reported in the French media.

Note that I don't have any knowledge of Portuguese at all, so had to use google translate (which I don't trust because I know how badly it can mangle the languages I DO speak) thus this last comment is JMO, IMO, not at all verified.

RSBM & BBM

I saw a Portuguese report in which the father laments that Maëlys had wanted to ride on his back at 03.00 hrs in the morning and that this was the last time he saw her.
It must have been so confusing at 03.00 hrs, all things happening at the same time.....

:gaah:

I think we have all we're going to get as far as precise timings go, unfortunately.

IMO, LE have a LOT more than has been revealed (imo there's some judicious & deliberate "leaking" of information going on):

- They have DNA results from the car
- They have the car?
- they have both of NL's phones
- they will soon (if not already) have results of analyses from the 2nd search of his & parents home
- they've concentrated a lot of resources on searching one particular area
- they know, probably quite precisely, at what time NL's comings and goings happened

I suspect they also have NL's mother's and brother's phones/phone records. Perhaps also those of other people.

RSBM & BBM

I saw a Portuguese report in which the father laments that Maëlys had wanted to ride on his back at 03.00 hrs in the morning and that this was the last time he saw her.
It must have been so confusing at 03.00 hrs, all things happening at the same time.....

:gaah:

Its so strange [sarcasm font] that some media outlets are circulating this kind of "information", when Maelys' parents made one official statement, released to the press by their lawyer, to say that they would not make any statement or comment to media.

I think we have all we're going to get as far as precise timings go, unfortunately.

IMO, LE have a LOT more than has been revealed (imo there's some judicious & deliberate "leaking" of information going on):

- They have DNA results from the car
- They have the car?
- they have both of NL's phones
- they will soon (if not already) have results of analyses from the 2nd search of his & parents home
- they've concentrated a lot of resources on searching one particular area
- they know, probably quite precisely, at what time NL's comings and goings happened

I suspect they also have NL's mother's and brother's phones/phone records. Perhaps also those of other people.

They also have photos and videos taken by wedding guests and the wedding photographer.

Can anyone summarize briefly in english for us? Or point out anything new? TIA!

They showed the village and interviewed some of the people who live there. Many are feeling scared and anxious. One lady interviewed at the beginning lives right above the building and parking lot. She shows how one can see them from her yard. She remembers being awakened in the middle of the night. Dogs were barking and helicopters were flying above. They also interviewed some of the locals who helped search. Two men talk about searching the woods nearby. They mention the river down below, and the many different bodies of water nearby. Another man talks about how it's basically a small town and everyone knows everyone else, including the suspect. Everyone is worried about their own children now.

http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-nor...aelys-les-confidences-de-l-avocat-des-parents

Interview with Maitre Rajon, the lawyer representing Maelys' family.

Nothing new or revelatory, but he does confirm that LE is devoting huge resources and efforts to finding Maelys.

He talks about how devastated the parents are, how unbearable the waiting and not knowing is, but also how much he admires their dignity.

Parents are very moved by the volunteer efforts.

He ends by saying that if anyone who has not yet come forward or been interviewed knows anything, or thinks they might know something, even if just a small thing, they should come forward.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/disparition-de-maelys-ses-parents-sortent-de-leur-silence-10-09-2017-2155745_23.php
There is this new article this morning that highlights some new informations :

"A suspect with a strange behavior who "disappears before the arrival of the 'gendarmes'"

"Earlier during the party, Maëlys described this man to her mother as her "friend" and presented him to another guest as her "tonton" (familiar word to say "uncle")."

"As soon as she realized that Maelys had disappear, she immediately started to look for her but also for a man whose behavior seemed strange to her during the party. "

"This man talked to little Maëlys, showing her and her mother pictures of his dogs on his phone"

"The ex-military didn't seem very concerned by the researched nor worried about the disappearance."

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/disparition-de-maelys-ses-parents-sortent-de-leur-silence-10-09-2017-2155745_23.php
There is this new article this morning that highlight some new informations :
"A suspect with a strang behavior who "disappear before the arrival of the 'gendarmes'"
"As soon as she realised that Maelys had disappear, she immediately started to look for her but also for a man whose behavior seemed strange to her during the party. "
"This man talked to the little Maëlys, showing her and her mother pictures of his dogs on his phone"
"The ex-military didn't seem very concerned by the researched nor worried about the disappearance."

Thank you for this link, with a fuller version of the lawyer's interview.

Un peu plus tôt au cours de la soirée, l'enfant lui avait décrit cet homme comme son "copain" et l'avait présenté à un autre invité du mariage comme son "tonton".

"Cet homme aurait discuté avec la petite Maëlys, montrant à la fillette et à sa mère des photos de ses chiens sur son téléphone. La maman est ensuite partie, laissant la conversation entre Maëlys et cet invité se poursuivre quelques minutes", détaille Me Rajon.
"

"Earlier in the evening, the child mentioned this man to her [mother] calling him her "friend", and introduced him to another wedding guest as her "uncle" [note: 'tonton' is an affectionate term for uncle].

The man talked to Maelys and showed pictures on his phone of his dogs to both the little girl and her mother. The mother then left them (Maelys & suspect) to continue their conversation for a few more minutes, says Maitre Rajon."

Selon la mère de la jeune fille, également passionnée par les chiens, l'ex-militaire n'avait ensuite pas semblé "spécialement concerné" par les recherches entamées cette nuit-là par l'ensembles des convives, "ni vraiment inquiet" de sa disparition, lorsqu'il a été aperçu dehors, à proximité de la salle des fêtes.

"According to Maelys' mother, who also loves dogs, the former soldier later didn't seem especially concerned/interested about the searches taking place by other guests that night, nor in any way worried about her disappearance, when he was seen outside, close to the wedding hall".

BBM: well that answers my question, he WAS on site (outside) after Maelys disappeared, but left before LE arrived (they were called at 3.57am).

WELCOME, BIENVENUE, to Websleuths, jusdepomme!

The same article:
http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/dispa...ent-de-leur-silence-10-09-2017-2155745_23.php

Les parents se disent logiquement que cet homme détient les clés de l'affaire. Et dans la mesure où le temps presse, car il en va du devenir d'un enfant, ils invitent forcément le mis en examen à révéler enfin la vérité et en finir de l'attente insupportable qui leur est imposée", a-t-il conclu.

"The lawyer concludes, 'Her parents are saying that logically this man holds the keys to what happened. And as time is of the essence, as it concerned the fate of a child, they implore the suspect to reveal the truth and put an end to the unbearable wait they are enduring'."

'THE INVESTIGATORS APPEAR TO BE HOLDING A MAN WHO OBVIOUSLY HAS THINGS TO TELL'

La Provence.com
http://www.laprovence.com/actu/en-d...elys-ses-parents-sortent-de-leur-silence.html

It's been two weeks since the nine-year-old Maëlys disappeared during a wedding in Isère. This morning, the search is resumed near Lake Aiguebelette, a place where the suspect used to go. This Sunday, Maëlys' parents break their silence in an interview with the Dauphiné Libéré. Through their lawyer, Fabien Rajon, they share the "torture" they have endured over the past two weeks and tell their side of the story.

The mother immediately went looking for a man with "strange behavior"

Fabien Rajon says the girl's mother said that "as soon as she realized that Maëlys had disappeared, she immediately went looking for her daughter of course, but also for a man whose behaviour during the evening seemed strange to her," she said. An intuition motivated by the ex-military's closeness to his daughter during the evening. Earlier in the evening, the child had described this man as her "friend" and introduced him to another guest at the wedding as her "uncle".

"This man would have talked to Maëlys, showing the girl and her mother pictures of her dogs on his phone. The mother then left, letting the conversation between Maëlys and this guest continue for a few minutes," according to Rajon.

A suspect who has "things to tell"

According to the mother of the young girl, who was passionate about dogs, the ex-military officer did not seem to have been "especially concerned" when the searches started that night by all the guests,"nor really worried" about her disappearance when he was seen outside, near the party hall. "Unlike other missing children cases, investigators appear to be holding a person who obviously has things to say," the lawyer says.

"The parents logically say that this man holds the keys to the case. And to the extent that time is running out, because it is a matter of the child's fate , they urgently invite the accused to finally reveal the truth and end the unbearable wait imposed on them," he concluded.

BBM

*advertiser censored**king groomers who will even use the presence of a parent to inspire confidence in the child!

Thank you for this link, with a fuller version of the lawyer's interview.

"

"Earlier in the evening, the child mentioned this man to her [mother] calling him her "friend", and introduced him to another wedding guest as her "uncle" [note: 'tonton' is an affectionate term for uncle].

The man talked to Maelys and showed pictures on his phone of his dogs to both the little girl and her mother. The mother then left them (Maelys & suspect) to continue their conversation for a few more minutes, says Maitre Rajon."

"According to Maelys' mother, who also loves dogs, the former soldier later didn't seem especially concerned/interested about the searches taking place by other guests that night, nor in any way worried about her disappearance, when he was seen outside, close to the wedding hall".

BBM: well that answers my question, he WAS on site (outside) after Maelys disappeared, but left before LE arrived (they were called at 3.57am).

WELCOME, BIENVENUE, to Websleuths, jusdepomme!

I think that is very damning evidence that he didn't seem concerned about searching for her, and just left, instead of helping the urgent search.

WHO DOES THAT?

And this is a trained military man, who could have been a big help at a crucial time, by doing what everyone else did, and immediately searched the area.

It is quite revealing that he failed to do so. Every soldier that I know would have thrown themselves into the mission of finding a lost child.

And he had this little girl calling him 'uncle'? That is a big red flag. He was absolutely grooming that poor sweet child, all evening. First with the dog pictures, then the videos, and then he somehow convinced her he was a relative or a close family friend...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991