France - Toddlers and elderly people attacked with knife in park, Annecy, June 8 '23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:oops: :

”Already a refugee in Sweden, the suspect was notified of the refusal of his asylum application in France on June 4.

The asylum request of Abdalmasih H., suspect in the knife attack which left six injured, including four children, on June 8 in Annecy , was rejected by the French authorities on April 26, BFMTV learned from a close source. However, the rejection of this request was notified to him last Sunday, June 4.

This request, filed on November 28, was rejected because Abdalmasih H. already enjoys asylum in three countries: he obtained this status in 2013 in Sweden. However, he had made a new request in Italy, which had been granted, and then in Switzerland. Again, this request had been accepted.”

bbm

Attaque au couteau à Annecy: la demande d'asile du suspect avait été refusée il y a 4 jours

Anger at France for rejecting his asylum application?
he already had asylum .. was he getting benefits from all those other countries as well? NOBODY seems to be auditigng
French asylum may be prestigious to Syrians because of the historical links between France and Syria in the 20th century. France had a mandate over Syria from the end of the Ottoman Empire to 1946.
MOO

he already had asylum .. was he getting benefits from all those other countries as well? NOBODY seems to be auditigng

If he's signed at an address in Sweden he could have received up to ca $800 a month.
Less in Italy, don't know about Switzerland.
I don't know how three different countries could grant him refugee status, that's shocking :oops:
And makes me doubt he had serious mental health issues, this person knew what he was doing and he had bad intentions from the start :confused:

(BBC)
France knife attack: 'Backpack hero' praised for facing attacker

"French media have lauded a young "hero with a backpack" for his attempts to thwart a knife attack in Annecy which left four children seriously injured.
Henri, 24, was filmed chasing the suspect and swinging his bag at him."

France stabbing: Toddlers stable after Annecy attack, Macron says

"Mr Macron was visiting the town where four children were attacked.
He said a young British girl had "woken up" after surgery. A Dutch toddler is also reportedly recovering."
"Four children in all - aged between 22 and 36 months - and two pensioners were wounded during the assault."

how much time would he potentially do on 6(+) counts of attempted murder?

those poor kids will be traumatized for a very long time I would think

I googled yesterday, he will likely get hardly nothing (max 10 years) =( but may get deported.
He needs to get out of Europe seeing he's likely been using the systems of at least three countries (mentioned above) - rumours he's been convicted already for benefit fraud in Sweden but will try find a link for that, he most definitely received benefits there as he's signed at an address. Money straight into his bank account and everything done online so he could just move around as he wished.
But where will he go? Syria don't need him either, those people are traumatized enough after isis etc.
Wish there was an island somewhere these people who don't belong with the rest of us could go.

I googled yesterday, he will likely get hardly nothing (max 10 years) =( but may get deported.
He needs to get out of Europe seeing he's likely been using the systems of at least three countries (mentioned above) - rumours he's been convicted already for benefit fraud in Sweden but will try find a link for that, he most definitely received benefits there as he's signed at an address. Money straight into his bank account and everything done online so he could just move around as he wished.
But where will he go? Syria don't need him either, those people are traumatized enough after isis etc.
Wish there was an island somewhere these people who don't belong with the rest of us could go.

max 10 years per count or for all 6+ counts?

One of those three countries (Italy) was just an application. Switzerland did approve him, though (so that makes two, without France).

I figure this guy was a grievance collector and liked feeling angry and hateful, so he kept moving, as such people often do. They do often end up in mountainous regions, for whatever reason. I wonder how this guy actually made a living and where he slept at night.

I agree there is no overall EU coordinating of who has asylum where. I can remember when there were arguments within the EU governing bodies (maybe 10 years ago) about how the first country where a person set down their feet on EU/EU-cooperating soil was the place where they had to apply for asylum. There was much push-back from the nations with coastlines on the Mediterranean (as they would have gotten so many more asylum-seekers) and Norway and Sweden both agreed to take more asylum seekers, out of fairness. Seems that this entire issue is now in a different political dimension.

IMO

One of those three countries (Italy) was just an application. Switzerland did approve him, though (so that makes two, without France).

I figure this guy was a grievance collector and liked feeling angry and hateful, so he kept moving, as such people often do. They do often end up in mountainous regions, for whatever reason. I wonder how this guy actually made a living and where he slept at night
Here is another mention about the 3 granted refuge status:

"Abdalmasih H. is believed to have arrived in Sweden in 2013 and claimed to be an Eastern Christian and applied for refugee status, which was later granted. He then moved to France, applying for asylum in November of last year but was denied just four days before the attack because he had already been approved for refugee status in Sweden, as well as Italy and Switzerland"
Rampage: Syrian Refugee Stabs Several Toddlers on French Playground
(more details mentioned, about his life in Sweden)

According to Daily mail, he was convicted of benefit fraud.

But here, it says, he was homeless in France and in Switzerland, his refuge request was pending:

"As “Le Parisien” writes, Abdalmasih H., who has been in France since November 2022, stayed in the park in Annecy for several weeks before the bloody crime occurred on Thursday. The Syrian citizen has been sleeping in a doorway in the center of Annecy since his arrival, according to a local resident."

"the alleged perpetrator had applied for asylum in various countries in recent months – including in Switzerland, where this is said to be pending."

SBM

https://newsbeezer.com/switzerlandeng/annecy-christian-and-homeless-that-is-abdalmasih-h/
I did read, that he swimmed every morning in the lake.

His mother lives in the USA:
"The killer's mother, who has lived in the US for the past decade, said her son suffers from "severe depression". As she claimed to AFP, the refusal of the Swedish authorities to grant him citizenship appears to have "driven him crazy".
(Little bit off, if you ask me.. Did read he was deserter from Assad's army and convicted of benefit fraude..)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/greekcitytimes.com/2023/06/10/france-syrian-annecy-through-greece/?amp

Tbh and IMO, the whole asyl system is mess, this is one example in The Netherlands :

"Dozens of executioners who tortured people in Syria under President Assad's regime are walking around freely in the Netherlands. This is reported by Trouw , which, together with Argos, made inquiries among Syrians in the Netherlands, experts and involved organizations "
'Tientallen beulen van Assad lopen vrij rond in Nederland'
EU is losing grip and is crumbling
MOO

Last edited:
So he was staying for several months in Annecy,sitting on a bench,swimming in the lake,appeared to be homeless and during his arrest he was in possession of :

” of a folding knife type weapon and that he had on him "two Christian images, a cross around his neck, 480 euros in cash and a Swedish driving license".

Attaque d’Annecy : profil de l’assaillant, état des victimes… Ce qu’il faut retenir des annonces de la procureure

ETA:

Annecy knife attack: Suspect was refused Swedish citizenship because of Syrian military past​

”According to the ruling seen by Le Monde, the Swedish authorities justified their refusal on the grounds that Abdelmasih H. claimed, when applying for asylum, that he had "served in the Syrian army from June 2011 to December 2012".

“However,his (ex) wife obtained Swedish nationality in June 2021”

Annecy knife attack: Suspect was refused Swedish citizenship because of Syrian military past

Last edited:
Of course he was :rolleyes: and 480 euros is more than I have in my bank account atm haha.
Too many people are abusing European laws for nefarious reasons and I have no idea if that's the case here but the more we learn, the more it looks like it :(

I'm having a difficult time locating a WS approved news source for the updates on this story today.
Wondering if anyone else is able to locate any updates on Selwan Majd aka Abd El-Messih Hanoun?

I'm having a difficult time locating a WS approved news source for the updates on this story today.
Wondering if anyone else is able to locate any updates on Selwan Majd aka Abd El-Messih Hanoun?

I've looked too and can't find anything.
It would not surprise me at all, though one thing at least is an error (I think, unless it was a translating issue).
The actual reason he was refused citizenship in Sweden was because he'd served in the Syrian Army a few years earlier. The Swedish news channel TV 4 had seen the documents and some details are here:
Knivmannen i Annecy åtalas
and mentioned briefly here:
Children stabbed in France no longer in life-threatening condition, suspect charged

I read that too and kept me searching in
French,German and Swiss.

There are numerous articles to be found, in German,Spain,Greece:

I don't know, if these are approved sources, that can be posted..
Seems credible, imo

"Syrian compatriots living in France and Germany are said to have recognized him from the numerous pictures and a circulating crime video as a migrant named Selwan Majd,"
https://www.pi-news.net/2023/06/ist-der-messer-syrer-von-annecy-doch-kein-christ-sondern-moslem/

"French authorities identified him as Selwan Majd, a refugee from Al-Hasakah, who previously tried to obtain Swedish citizenship under the name "Abd El-Messih Hayoun.."
Hombre que apuñaló a niños en Francia fue trasladado a un hospital psiquiátrico - La Mosca

I've looked too and can't find anything.
It would not surprise me at all, though one thing at least is an error (I think, unless it was a translating issue).
The actual reason he was refused citizenship in Sweden was because he'd served in the Syrian Army a few years earlier. The Swedish news channel TV 4 had seen the documents and some details are here:
Knivmannen i Annecy åtalas
and mentioned briefly here:
Children stabbed in France no longer in life-threatening condition, suspect charged
From your first link, there is a refering to another *one, wich seems very concerning:

The Swedish-linked knifeman was a commander in a notorious army

"He received a permanent residence permit - but has been stopped several times from Swedish citizenship.
The reason was that the man was part of the Syrian army, which is said to engage in torture."

"The justification for the rejections was that the 31-year-old participated in the Syrian army from June 2011 to December 2012. He was then, among other things, group commander and "watchman" with responsibility over others in the military. The man himself said in a previous investigation that he was "in the field and arrested people a few times" and had been involved in raids where they "retrieved people from a residence".

In addition, according to his own statement, he "was armed and participated in battles during this period."

The Migration Agency and the Migration Court stated that the army in question "repeatedly and systematically committed war crimes" and that the 31-year-old is therefore not granted Swedish citizenship. See more in the fact box below..."

SBM

*Svenskkopplade knivmannen var befäl i ökänd armé

So, I did a quick read about war crimes committed in Syria and refugees in The Netherlands:

"The exact number cannot be determined. Syrians who have done their own research say they have evidence about at least thirteen people. According to estimates by professor Ugur Üngör of Niod, the Netherlands Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies, there are between fifty and one hundred individuals."

"When there are such suspicions, an investigation can be started. Then phones and computers are scanned."

'Tientallen beulen van Assad lopen vrij rond in Nederland'

So,if I understand correctly, the investigation is digital scanning and participating Syrian refugees , who investigate or recognise "war criminals" from their country?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back