Francis Stateside: 22-27 September 2015, The Pope Is Coming!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Had a colonoscopy this morning but was home in time to watch the Pope's historic speech before a Joint Session of Congress. I hope the text will be available as I had difficulty understanding him at times. Napped this afternoon so I can stay awake for the evening's festivities :)

Pope Francis is now in transit to New York where he will offer Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Live continuous coverage on CNN.

Papal jet has arrived in New York. Boy, that was quick! He got there in a New York minute :angel: A high school band will welcome Pope Francis with New York, New York.

Papal motorcade moving along Fifth Avenue en route to St. Patrick's Cathedral. CNN calls the evening service prayers/vespers (not Mass).

Pope Francis addressing United Nations. Live coverage on CNN and NBC.

Hey everyone! Very excited to have the pope here, I really like this pope and even my 4 year old is asking lots of questions...her main question is "can the pope stay at my house?"

The pope will be staying at the seminary a few blocks from me when he gets to the philly area. We are basically in lockdown mode and the secret service or whoever is doing security (pretty sure my friend said secret service) have been clearing all the high rise condos, which are right on route 1 before you get to the houses and neighborhoods. Several people I know who's windows or balconies face the seminary have been told they can't be in their own home for the duration of the visit. I dunno maybe the security is a little overboard, especially out here in our township but I want the pope to be safe and all people here and attending any events to be safe. My husband is a volunteer firefighter and his fire dept will be at the events saturday and sunday. I will be watching on tv!

Sep 25 2015, 11:06 am ET

Pope Francis in America: U.N. Speech Touches on Environment, Poverty

by Erin McClam and The Associated Press

Pope Francis declared before the United Nations on Friday that there is a fundamental "right of the environment" and that mankind has no authority to abuse it, much less destroy it.

At the General Assembly, the largest gathering of dignitaries in the world, Francis said that the environment is a "fundamental good" in all religions, and that a "selfish and boundless thirst" for power and wealth harms the planet and people alike.

The poor suffer most from misuse of natural resources, he said...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/po...-n-speech-touches-environment-poverty-n433526

Pope Francis Visits New York

◾Friday, September 25, 2015

◾8:30 a.m United Nations General-Assembly

◾11:30 a.m Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center

◾4 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School in East Harlem

◾5 p.m. Papal motorcade through Central Park

◾6 p.m. Madison Square Garden Mass

CNN has continuous live coverage. I've also watched some events on NBC as well as live stream coverage from Comcast/Xfinity homepage.

The prayer service at Ground Zero was very powerful and moving. As has been the case with other Papal events (the Mass in D.C. and vesper service last night), the music and singing have been beautiful and inspirational. I had chills when the New York Children's Choir sang Let There Be Peace On Earth at the conclusion of the prayer service.

Pope Francis is now resting after the busy morning schedule and will meet later this afternoon with school children and their parents in Harlem. There will then be a motorcade through Central Park followed by Mass at Madison Square Garden.

Sep 25 2015, 12:51 pm ET

Pope Francis in America: Pope Prays at Ground Zero, Meets 9/11 Families

by Erin McClam

Pope Francis bowed his head and clasped his hands in prayer Friday at one of the enormous waterfall pools that mark where the towers of the World Trade Center once stood, and he summoned the world to "unity over hatred."

The pope stood alone for more than a minute at a pool that marks the footprint of the south tower. He occasionally lifted his eyes to look out at the expanse...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/po...ica-pope-prays-ground-zero-meets-9-11-n433706

Pope Francis has arrived in Philadelphia. Today's schedule:

Pope Francis Visits Philadelphia

◾Saturday, September 26, 2015 ◾8:40 a.m Departure for Philadelphia from John F. Kennedy International Airport

◾9:30 a.m Arrival in Atlantic Aviation hangar at Philadelphia International Airport Philadelphia

◾10:30 a.m Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul

◾4:45 p.m Visit to Independence Mall

◾7:30 p.m Visit to Festival of Families at Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Prayer Vigil with World Meeting of Families

Cuomo's girlfriend Sandra Lee gets blessing from Pope Francis as he leaves St. Patrick's Cathedral

BY Denis Slattery , Kenneth Lovett /

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS /

Updated: Friday, September 25, 2015, 3:50 PM

A clean bill of health — and a blessing for good measure.

Sandra Lee, Gov. Cuomo’s celebrity chef girlfriend, got a special blessing from Pope Francis on Thursday as he made his way out of St. Patrick’s Cathedral...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...a-lee-blessing-pope-francis-article-1.2373889

Final day of Pope Francis' visit to U.S.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

◾9:15 a.m Papal meeting with Bishops at St. Martin’s Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary

◾11 a.m Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility

◾4 p.m Papal Mass for World Meeting of Families

◾7 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families at Atlantic Aviation

◾8 p.m Departure for return to Rome

I am so proud of my City of Brotherly Love. I am not near the Masses and Festivities, but am following as much as possible. Pope Francis is a wonderful Pontiff-he just makes me want to smile every time I look at him. It warms my heart to see how the people are responding to him. But, I expected that. I am proud of our Mayor, Michael Nutter, our Police Commissioner, Charles Ramsey, our Police Officers. and all the people who worked so hard to make this possible. I am amazed at all this!

Pat

Thanks for sharing your personal thoughts, Pat. I have enjoyed watching many events during Pope Francis' visit and sense a special energy in the City of Brotherly Love. I learned yesterday that Philly was the only original American destination and that Washington and New York were later added to the itinerary.

DH and I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Philadelphia several years ago. The weather was nice for walking around historical sites, running up the steps a la Rocky of the museum, indulging in Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, a stop at the clock in Wanamaker's, touring college campuses, and shopping at an upscale mall in King of Prussia :)

I agree. So proud of my city! Rode bikes with my mom yesterday through our neighborhood which backs up to the seminary so we did catch a glimpse of the Pope in between his events! It was so cool seeing all the st. Joes university students lining City Ave (route 1). On our ride back my mom had a freak bike accident and broke her arm in two places so badly she needs surgery. The first responders in the area had her at the ER which was designated for pope in case of emergency and under very right security within 10 mins tops. It was great to see them respond so fast! At the ER the energy in the air and smile on everyone's faces was great, it was exciting for everyone and so cool to hear my mom and the dr, who is Jewish, discuss their religions and the Pope and how his message is important to all religions and is universal. Philly is a great city and I hope people continue to recognize that! God bless you all! And I have to laugh at the King of Prussia Mall comment. I spend way too much time and money there. We lived in northwest ohio for a year and I had to drive to Ann Arbor or Bloomfield (i think that was the name) to find my favorite stores. I like Michigan, beautiful state!

Thoughts and prayers for your mom, Mollyandme. I'm sure she will be alright :) I am looking forward to the Mass at 4:00PM prior to the Pope's departure from the U.S. on this historic trip. I think Pope Francis has touched many people with his honesty, humility, and inclusiveness (my three words to describe him per CNN survey).

OT: Upscale southeast Michigan shopping in Ann Arbor, downtown Birmingham, Somerset Collection (Troy) ;)

Sep 27 2015, 7:54 pm ET

Pope Urges Spreading 'Little Signs of Love' During Last U.S. Mass in Philadelphia

by Elisha Fieldstadt and Tracy Connor

Pope Francis closed his multi-city U.S. trip Sunday with a mass before a crowd of hundreds of thousands where he preached a message urging the church to practice unlimited inclusion and acceptance.

Before Francis arrived at the closing mass of the World Meeting of Families on Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin Parkway, his "popemobile" — which was open on either side — wound through crowds lining the parkway.

Thousands at a time erupted into cheers as the pope passed. Some scaled trees to get a better view of Francis, whom many had been waiting hours to catch a glimpse of...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/po...ng-little-signs-love-during-last-mass-n434556

image.jpg

This is the best pic I could get, hopefully it loads. I have video too but it won't load. This is from city ave on his from the seminary back downtown.

[video=youtube;5yxCwuKSnMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=5yxCwuKSnMI[/video]

Stephen is excited to welcome the Pope to New York City, but first, he has to get his non-Catholic viewers up to speed on what all the righteous fuss is about.

eta: Stephen Colbert is a Catholic

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smjosephson
Back