GA - 103 Yr old woman banned from lifelong church

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow that preacher seems like a big jerk. I could say a lot more but I wont.

Going by memory I searched Manta,Buzzfile,and Chamber of Commerce. I also searched the Secretary of State in Georgia.
No data came up at the S.O.S. for corporation listings by the name of the church or the contact name listed.

I could post the contact name listed for the church but not sure if the mods would be okay with that.
It was an easy find.
Also couldn't find a website or fb for the church. Could be that it is a small congregation and they just didn't bother with the extras.
IMO

I can't recall if Georgia is one, but some states' SOS websites have separate search functions for non-profit entities.

I got booted off the AG site when I was searching due to maintenance.

I wonder since they are such a small church if they are registered anywhere, or have every been registered for that matter.

The church responds...

http://www.kmov.com/story/30058582/ga-church-responds-after-103-year-old-womans-membership-revoked

The letter accuses Biggs of inviting another minister to the church to take the place of the pastor and her behavior was "detrimental to the church at large and could no longer be allowed." She was asked not to attend the church due to the disruptive behavior on "multiple occasions."

Note: The letter referenced above is a letter the church issued in response to the controversy, not the letter sent to Biggs.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Looking at a picture of the church, I thought it was small, but it's smaller than I thought.

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015-09-17/elberton-church-responds-ouster-churchs-oldest-member

The members of Union Grove, which apparently numbers less than 20, voted in August to revoke Biggs membership in the church, where she had been a member for 92 years.

snip

According to the letter, the members have “permitted” Biggs to attend services on Sunday since her ouster, but she will not be allowed in any church business meetings.

I would search for IRS records regarding tax-exempt status for identity of the owner(s). Someone owns the building and the furnishings etc.

Since churches have their own status under the tax code, not many go through the steps to get 501(c)(3) status. It's unlikely to be on the IRS tax exempt entity list. I suspect it's similar for tax exempt status in the state of Georgia (ie, churches are automatically tax exempt and don't have to file the same way other organizations do).

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

My understanding, from a community local, so just take this as basicly gossip, is that the small church is not affiliated with a Baptist network (so no leadership in problem areas), had such a small congregation and offering, that it could not pay its bills (like electrical and water and a pastors salary), and they got this new pastor who shook things up, brought in some new members, and wanted to change the status quo. He wanted to change the denomination and the majority agreed with him. The ones that didn't mostly moved on, except this lady. And she wanted to be heard, was not in agreement, and basicly wouldn't give it up. So they voted her out.
I saw her interview on tv and for her age, she was very spunky.

My understanding, from a community local, so just take this as basicly gossip, is that the small church is not affiliated with a Baptist network (so no leadership in problem areas), had such a small congregation and offering, that it could not pay its bills (like electrical and water and a pastors salary), and they got this new pastor who shook things up, brought in some new members, and wanted to change the status quo. He wanted to change the denomination and the majority agreed with him. The ones that didn't mostly moved on, except this lady. And she wanted to be heard, was not in agreement, and basicly wouldn't give it up. So they voted her out.
I saw her interview on tv and for her age, she was very spunky.

What a shame. That sounds like what may have happened. Obviously the new members have no ties with the church and didn't care one way or the other.
I think the response from the church shows they are in in cover their as* mode.
The attention from this had to be more than they expected.
Yesterday while I was searching I came across a few churches that must have been misidentified as Union Grove in Elberton. They had disclaimers on their FB and websites.We are not the church that banned the 103 year old woman.
Now Union Grove is saying she had permission to come on Sunday but she can't attend any meetings.Yet the letter said she wasn't to come on the property for any reason.
My take is the "disruption" was for questioning the pastor and his methods.
I hope she will be able to attend her church without anyone turning the lights out on her.
IMO

I'd take Ms Biggs over the pastor any day. She's welcome to come to my home anytime. :)

There is a little bit more information in this podcast from some of the members of the church.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/church...enora-biggs-grandson-robert-dye-special-guest

Skip the the 45 min. mark and a lady gives a few more details. There were other members that were also told they were voted out of the church and received letters.

http://pimppreacher.com/post/129303604830/rev-tim-mattox-when-elder-abuse-comes-from-the

I think this may be the same folks from the radio program. A poke around on the site was interesting.
Picture of the pastor and some of his doings and also some questioning of his credentials.
IMO
Another story on the site goes into more detail about his credentials and also has a story about the pastor making it difficult for Mrs Biggs to take communion.

That's what I was thinking as well. Someone higher up on the chain. I did find just a bit more background but wasn't able to find an actual link to the church.
Granted I didn't have time to search long.
The video interview says that Genora Hamm Biggs was a teacher for 40 yrs and the pastor was a former student of hers.
Also her family were founders of the church.
Former members ( one a former Deacon of the church) support her impressions of the pastor.

http://www.wfxg.com/story/30027379/103-year-old-woman-banned-from-church

I wonder if the pastor had a grudge with Genora Hamm Biggs.

I was raised in a Disciples of Christ Church in Fort Lauderdale. It was not quite fundamentalist, but close, and enthusiastically evangelical and conservative politically. My grandparents and parents were founding members and very active in religious education.

Yes, there were politics (my folks favored modernizing the curricula ("Christian sex education in 1971? Horrors!")) while others did not. It got nasty, even between friends of 20 years' standing.

BUT NOBODY EVER SUGGESTED ANYONE ELSE WASN'T WELCOME AT THE CHURCH! To do so would have been considered entirely un-Christlike by all. There are millions of fine and decent Christians still today, but every once in a while I run into a story that makes me think Jesus must do nothing but weep for the others.

I think I agree with the pastor...there is a demon in "his" church, and it's not the god loving 103 year old woman. He might want to look in the mirror to see who it is though.

I was raised in a Disciples of Christ Church in Fort Lauderdale. It was not quite fundamentalist, but close, and enthusiastically evangelical and conservative politically. My grandparents and parents were founding members and very active in religious education.

Yes, there were politics (my folks favored modernizing the curricula ("Christian sex education in 1971? Horrors!")) while others did not. It got nasty, even between friends of 20 years' standing.

BUT NOBODY EVER SUGGESTED ANYONE ELSE WASN'T WELCOME AT THE CHURCH! To do so would have been considered entirely un-Christlike by all. There are millions of fine and decent Christians still today, but every once in a while I run into a story that makes me think Jesus must do nothing but weep for the others.

Also a life-long Disciple. Disciples are well-known for respecting views and allowing many decisions to be made at the congregational level. I have always associated with Disciples on the liberal side of the spectrum--so the more fundamentalist congregations were something of a surprise to me when I got old enough to look about me. It's a tough act to be able to say with regard to welcome that ALL does in fact mean ALL. Nevertheless, that is our commitment.

Updates on the church situation and I'm loving it. It is from pimppreachers or church folk revolution. It was blogtalk radio. Mrs Biggs had 50 people sitting with her in church this last Sunday.
The leader (TJ) asked to speak with the pastor and the police told him to wait until after the service. They sat through the service and the pastor left without speaking with anyone that was with Mrs Biggs.
The group with Mrs Biggs became members and took a vote to have a new pastor. They had a pastor with them that agreed to be pastor for 90 days.
The pastor only had 8 members on his side so majority ruled? Hopefully.
The group was going to change the locks to the church (I love this) but police intervened so they left.
The family are trying to get a restraining order (for elder abuse) against pastor Mattox for Mrs Biggs.
IMO

ETA to add replay link.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/church...-mattox-ran-like-coward-the-bully-got-bullied

Updates on the church situation and I'm loving it. It is from pimppreachers or church folk revolution. It was blogtalk radio. Mrs Biggs had 50 people sitting with her in church this last Sunday.
The leader (TJ) asked to speak with the pastor and the police told him to wait until after the service. They sat through the service and the pastor left without speaking with anyone that was with Mrs Biggs.
The group with Mrs Biggs became members and took a vote to have a new pastor. They had a pastor with them that agreed to be pastor for 90 days.
The pastor only had 8 members on his side so majority ruled? Hopefully.
The group was going to change the locks to the church (I love this) but police intervened so they left.
The family are trying to get a restraining order (for elder abuse) against pastor Mattox for Mrs Biggs.
IMO

That's great!! Sounds like maybe they received some legal advice or something since the story broke. I hope their actions are upheld!!

That's great!! Sounds like maybe they received some legal advice or something since the story broke. I hope their actions are upheld!!

I hope so as well but I don't think Mattox and group will go easily. I'm glad Mrs Biggs had support. Tickles me to no end.lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaV
Back