GUILTY GA - A.J. Nelson, 4, killed in hit & run, Marietta, 10 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regardless of this recent incident, the fact of the matter is that what happened last year was an injustice. And like BrownRice, I'm nearly certain that if this had been a white mother, charges would not have been brought at all.

Im not up on civil law, but if it were possible, were I this mother, I'd find the best lawyer I could and sue the local government for damages, for failing to maintain an adequate number of safe crosswalks for pedestrians. From what I can see, there STILL is not a crosswalk in the area? :furious:

I'm sure this mom has suffered enough at her own hands, without having to be put in jail.

Regardless of this recent incident, the fact of the matter is that what happened last year was an injustice. And like BrownRice, I'm nearly certain that if this had been a white mother, charges would not have been brought at all.

Im not up on civil law, but if it were possible, were I this mother, I'd find the best lawyer I could and sue the local government for damages, for failing to maintain an adequate number of safe crosswalks for pedestrians. From what I can see, there STILL is not a crosswalk in the area? :furious:

There are areas of heavily traveled roads where crosswalks are not doable because of cars having to stop for pedestrians. We have such roads in various places throughout my area and in those places we have overpasses instead of crosswalks.

I do not know the area in question in this case. It was stated it is a heavily traveled four-lane road, but how populated is the area? Is it heavily populated, such that a number of citizens need to cross that road on foot? If so, and if a crosswalk is not doable due to traffic flow, a pedestrian overpass should be considered. In some municipalities, cost can be a factor with such a structure--but saving lives needs to be given priority over saving money.

Whether its a crosswalk or other means of safe passage for pedestrians, something needs to go there - in the early articles, folks who lived nearby mentioned that there was a lack of safe crossing areas. If people are living there, then there should be some means Of crossing safely withing a reasonable distance.

Ido like the idea of overpasses for pedestrians and cyclists. If we want people to walk and cycle more, for health as well as conservation reasons, we have to make our streets more people friendly, rather than car friendly. Not to mention folks who have no choice but to walk or cycle, due to not having a car, or high gas prices, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makaylaj
Back