GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anywhere in the Daily Beast article where it says the fishing equipment or any of the other reports had to do with English's house, do you? I may have missed it since I looked at the article on my phone and it's so long.

it's in the post you've quoted here.

posting the pertinent text from the article again:

One was a theft of $2,500 worth of fishing equipment from English’s property, which he said he didn’t report to police but confirmed to The Daily Beast

Thanks , @JaxFlaGal !

I was looking for this.
I think the edited/fast-forwarded clips were for time constraints on various news sites; and not necessarily to prove jogging/walking ?

Unbelievable. ^^^
Gmafb.
LE had reason that very day, to make an arrest for both shooters re. my previous post and links.
And this act of violent crime would have been dealt with as necessary and a full investigation started.
The DA (both of them) shut LE down and would not allow it.
Now, all of a sudden it's LE's fault ?
Liars.
Tom Durden and Jackie Johnson.
I'd be interested in what other cases have crossed their desks.
And which ones were dismissed/downplayed/charges dropped, if any ?
A man is dead and the DA's wanted this shut down.
Imo.

I looked at the stats on the community this happened in late last night, "unincorporated" means sans or without corporation. I lived in an unincorporated town in South Carolina some years ago, and thus have a little experience with how they work.

The county sheriff's office has jurisdiction, as there's no municipal LE for the town. Same for fire service, no paid service and there has to be an agreement or something similar for either a local paid fire department or a volunteer department or both to service the town.

There's a possibility the DA's office and the Glynn county sheriffs didn't want this to become public, they figured they could keep it under wraps and keep the Georgia Bureau of Investigation out of it, despite it being a possible civil rights case, especially after the video surfaced. By "civil rights" I mean Arbery's general civil/personal rights, not necessarily anything racial. His rights under the U.S. Constitution being violated, and the government(s) not backing him on his rights, in this case in death.

There should have been an investigation done in earnest by the local sheriffs office, from the word go in this case.

I've been involved in two grand juries in my life. What is now happening in this case is what should have happened early on, Arbery can't speak for himself, he's dead. His "advocate", to use a term, should have been the DA's office if it came down to that. Instead, it looks like people didn't consider various possibilities early on in the case, and there's a possibility they overlooked a lot because of McMichael Sr.'s work history, maybe who he knows, etc.

What Arbery was up to doesn't matter at this point, he wasn't arrested. He's dead. He didn't attack anyone not did he violate anyone's rights.

In my mind's eye, this doesn't fall under the category of "justifiable homicide", not anything close. To me it looks like a lynching, the legal definition of it:

lynching | Definition, History, & Facts

Lynching, a form of violence in which a mob, under the pretext of administering justice without trial, executes a presumed offender, often after inflicting torture and corporal mutilation. The term lynch law refers to a self-constituted court that imposes sentence on a person without due process of law. Both terms are derived from the name of Charles Lynch (1736–96), a Virginia planter and justice of the peace who, during the American Revolution, headed an irregular court formed to punish loyalists.

Using that as a guide, I'm of the opinion the father and son were judge, jury, and executioner for someone who didn't violate anyone's rights.

JMO

it's in the post you've quoted here.

posting the pertinent text from the article again:

One was a theft of $2,500 worth of fishing equipment from English’s property, which he said he didn’t report to police but confirmed to The Daily Beast

Thanks. I did miss it. I think the author meant to say that it was taken from Sr's property and not reported until afterward. But either way, yeah, they got that wrong!

Still having difficulty believing that $2,500 of fishing gear was stolen from an uninhabited house still under construction. Or understanding how it could be that a handgun was stolen from Junior- from his unlocked car, for that matter.

And...can't understand why questions are being asked about whether or not the victim had a job, what he wanted to be when he grew up, or if he really did routinely jog, rather than raise what imo are the far more relevant questions about whether or not Senior had a record of using excessive force while serving as LE, and if Junior had any history of using violence against others, including domestically.

BBM. EXACTLY!!! Does it really matter that people said different things about his career aspirations? Maybe he wanted to be an electrician that boxed and played football on the side. WHY DOES IT MATTER??? Why isn't there more focus on the murderers and their histories? Do they have criminal records or history of violence? It's like the victim and everything he's ever done in his life is under a microscope and he's being judged but hardly anything is said about the people that hunted him down like an animal and killed him.

What I should have said is that not committing crime is among the rules one should follow if they're looking not to get shot.

Very sound advise. Yes, these men need to go to prison- but that won't bring Ahmaud back.

I have told my son and the boys that I have been an unofficial foster father repeatedly that:

- There is no maturity, intelligence or ethical test required to buy a weapon.

- A lot of people have weapons

- You never want to be on the wrong side of a gun held by an angry dimwit, an angry man lacking maturity or a man lacking ethics.

- Best way to avoid that is stay away from other peoples possessions, respect others (respect does not submissiveness). And..... stay away from married women.

Last edited:
Still having difficulty believing that $2,500 of fishing gear was stolen from an uninhabited house still under construction. Or understanding how it could be that a handgun was stolen from Junior- from his unlocked car, for that matter.

And...can't understand why questions are being asked about whether or not the victim had a job, what he wanted to be when he grew up, or if he really did routinely jog, rather than raise what imo are the far more relevant questions about whether or not Senior had a record of using excessive force while serving as LE, and if Junior had any history of using violence against others, including domestically.
bbm

This ^^^^
And I wonder what their neighbors really think about them ?
Are they afraid of this pair, or trio ?
I would be.
Imagine being chased down while on foot, by three men in two different vehicles whilst pointing their shotguns at you !

Georgia attorney general requests federal probe in handling of Ahmaud Arbery case
JEFF AMY
ATLANTA
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED MAY 10, 2020UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

Georgia’s attorney general on Sunday asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the handling of the killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a black man who authorities say died at the hands of two white men as he ran through a neighbourhood.

[...]

“We are committed to a complete and transparent review of how the Ahmaud Arbery case was handled from the outset,” Attorney General Chris Carr said in a statement. “The family, the community and the state of Georgia deserve answers, and we will work with others in law enforcement at the state and federal level to find those answers.”
[...]

I'm surprised that nobody posted about Don Lemon's train wreck of an interview with the Wife of the Camera Guy, and her Hubby's Lawyer. Don Lemon was left literally speechless, and his stunned comments even continued into the start of the next interview. Don't see it posted anywhere yet, but I'm sure it will be by tomorrow.

I keep seeing posts claiming Ahmaud grabbed the shotgun. We don't know that. That's the story of the assailants. It's an involuntary action to put your hand up to block a shot. So no one knows if he actually grabbed the gun or hit Travis.

I reviewed the video frame-by-frame and it shows TRAVIS ADVANCING toward Ahmaud. Not Ahmaud charging Travis. At the 12 second mark, Travis is standing in the middle of the left lane. Ahmaud is running down the center lane on the yellow lines. He veers to the right to go around the truck. At the 15 second mark Ahmaud's foot disappears in front of the passenger tire and you can tell from looking at the shadow, Ahmaud is standing in front of the passenger tire. Meanwhile, Travis has now CROSSED the yellow line and is in front of the driver tire, meaning he advanced on Ahmaud. You can see Travis' hat appear from behind the front of the car as he steps back across the yellow line during the struggle.

In this screenshot from the video, after Ahmaud has run in front of the truck, not only has Travis crossed the yellow line, but the heel of his foot is elevated with his weight on the ball of his foot. IMO, this is indicating forward movement, not retreating due to any attack.

upload_2020-5-10_20-41-57.png

In this screenshot from the video, after Ahmaud has run in front of the truck, not only has Travis crossed the yellow line, but the heel of his foot is elevated with his weight on the ball of his foot. IMO, this is indicating forward movement, not retreating due to any attack.

View attachment 246381

The fact they chased this guy in not just one, but two vehicles gives me pause.

Honestly I've never heard of this type of thing ever in my life from any personal experience or experiences of family members or friends, I've heard of this only when some kind of control-freak deal is going on, like I believe this is a case about, and it ends badly and in the media.

I wish them luck in court, the evidence points towards nothing at all defensive in this case at all, but offensive? Yes, the father, son, and their friend went on the offensive and chased this guy.

If they thought the situation warranted LE involvement, they should have waited, had LE search for and maybe question the guy, and maybe taken a report. No harm, no foul. Instead, they escalated the situation beyond anything remotely reasonable.

JMO

Trying to get away? Looked to me like he was trying to take the gun.
wouldn’t you try to take away the gun from the person who was brandishing it at you, seemingly to KILL YOU with it??!
this is crazy! i keep seeing people say about ahmaud “maybe he wasn’t *just* a jogger?” “maybe he was committing crimes? we’ll find out.” GUESS WHAT? even if he was trespassing (which he seems to be in the house videos, altho he doesn’t seem to be doing it for nefarious reasons) HE STILL DID NOT DESERVE TO BE MURDERED. YES, MURDERED! HE WAS MURDERED!!!!
a police officer can’t shoot someone they think might have committed a crime. that’s murder. a random gun happy citizen? DEFINITELY murder. how is this even in question????
my heart is broken for ahmaud and those who loved him. he is the VICTIM here and he did NOT deserve to die and he does NOT deserve to have his character questioned after death!

Watching the video at 25% speed, it's not clear to me exactly what's happening when Arbery enters the frame, as the frame moves we see him moving towards the front of the pickup, but I can't tell if he and the son were entangled, yet. So it's unclear to me if Arbery came at the son as he was holding the shotgun.

It very well could be they kind of "cornered" Arbery right there, Arbery then may have gotten agitated and went for the shotgun.

Gregory told police that he and Travis followed Arbery in their truck and that Gregory told Arbery multiple times, “Stop, stop, we want to talk to you,” per The Washington Post. Gregory also said no shots were fired prior to Arbery attacking Travis when Travis stepped out of the truck towards him. As many have noted, this narrative does not fully match what is depicted in the leaked video.

They're on a public road telling someone they've been following in a truck, to stop so they can "talk" to him. Armed with a long gun, no less, in this case a shotgun. Two guys, a truck, and a shotgun, and who knows what other weapon or weapons. The truck itself could be used as a weapon, some may argue it was in this case.

I'm not buying the 'hey we just wanted to talk to him' defense. Sorry.

JMO

Once upon a time, we were building a home. Twice, in the middle of the night, someone came in and stole building materials. This required a truck. And the darkness of night. And we assume those were adults, because kids wouldn't need construction materials. Once, in the middle of the night, someone spray painted the brick side of the house. We assume that was teenagers. None of those three times did we think we needed to confront the perpetrators with a gun. That was OUR money flying out the unfinished windows, too, not the neighbors. No guns, no violence, no three on one. No truck vs. pedestrian. We called the cops. We contacted insurance. That was it.

Trespass. Dead. Blame the victim. So depressing.

Snipped and BBM. That's what the vigilantes counted on. That everyone, including the the DA's office, would sweep it under the rug. I'm sure glad it didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has already been posted, but Georgia law states that a citizen's arrest may be done if the crime was committed within a person's presence.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE :: CHAPTER 4 - ARREST OF PERSONS :: ARTICLE 4 - ARREST BY PRIVATE PERSONS :: § 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest

Supposedly, these men did not see Arbery commit a crime other than trespassing.

They had no reason to suspect any other 'crime' had been committed. He was empty handed and was wearing shorts and a tee. If he was stealing it would've been very obvious to see what had been taken.

Last edited:
On a Tweet in this article:

Gregory & Travis McMichael: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

What this headline doesn't state is that Georgia will not be convening grand juries until June 12.

and from the article....

Though anger over Arbery’s murder has been steadily growing, those looking to see justice served in either direction will have to wait until at least June 12. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Georgia Supreme Court has prohibited grand juries from meeting until that date.

Tweet must be wrong - as I do "see" it mentioned in the article...

Or minded their own business.

Could be a worker looking around.

JMO

I agree they could have handled it in a variety of other ways, better ways. But chalking it up to a construction worker isn't one of them. I've never seen a construction worker walking a site in jogging shorts, or shorts of any kind. AMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member