GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is this case not getting much attention over in the States then? I'm surprised, given that it involves two juveniles who are accused of killing a baby, I would have thought that was unusual enough to be newsworthy.

Our liberal, politically correct mass media does not like to discuss any crimes perpetrated by black suspects.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article...-for-high-profile-Brunswick-baby-murder-trial

During her opening statement, prosecutor Jackie Johnson said her evidence will prove that DeMarquise Elkins not only shot and killed 13-month-old Antonio Santiago and wounded his mother, but that he also shot a man ten days earlier in a similar armed robbery.

But in his opening statement, defense attorney Jonathan Lockwood claimed other evidence will prove that accomplice Lang is a liar.

He also suggested the dead toddler's parents may have had something to do with their child's violent death instead of his client.

Oh my freaking God. The defense is going to try and pin this on the parents of that poor dead baby? Has he no shame? :stormingmad:

From the same article as Ohiogirl posted above.

"He also claimed Sherry West called to claim a $5,000 life insurance policy on her child within 24 hours of his death."

IMO. Of course she did. The poor lady didn't have any money to bury her dead baby!!!

Also from that article the jurors do not know which 3 are alternates. In trials where I have been in the courtroom, the jurors always knew who was an alternate. Here is a copy/paste from the article:

"Even so, Judge Kelley again refused the defense request challenging the jury makeup.

Just after lunch he swore in 12 jurors and three alternates.

The jury makeup is 9 white males, 4 white females and 2 black females.

The jurors will not know which of them are the 3 alternates until they begin deliberations."

http://www.11alive.com/news/article...-for-high-profile-Brunswick-baby-murder-trial

$5000 is a rather small amount to kill your baby for. The mother was shot in the leg and her ear was grazed by another shot. Not a self-inflicted scenario either.

David In TN

Average funeral for an adult in my area (Central IL) is around $10,000.00. That is for the no frills bare basics nothing fancy funeral. I do not know about little ones but that is pretty standard for adults.

The whole point in having insurance like that on your children is that it does assist in defraying some of the costs of losing your child. Funeral, lost work, relocating if needed, etc.

I hate that the adult daughter (who is incarcerated right now I believe and therefore not someone without her own credibility issues) has inserted herself into this mess. MOO

Oh my freaking God. The defense is going to try and pin this on the parents of that poor dead baby? Has he no shame? :stormingmad:

Katy, you have NO idea. He quite literally insinuated (or what's a word that's stronger than insinuated but just short of outright accusation?) that the mother was a crack w**** and had her baby killed for drug money. This thread isn't all that long, it's up there around the middle. I have to log off for a bit but will try to find it later. He certainly is giving his fine client a very 'vigorous' defense, I'll say that!

Brunswick newspaper:

"MARIETTA – Defense attorneys in the case against accused baby killer De’marquise Elkins plan to argue that Glynn County and Brunswick police had tunnel vision in their investigation of De’amrquis Elkins after a known drug user led them to his alleged accomplice, Dominique Lang, in hopes of getting reward money.

Assistant Public Defender Jonathan Lockwood told the jury during opening statements today that the entire case was built on information provided by Argie Brooks, an admitted drug user, who Lockwood said led them to Deborah Obley, Lang’s aunt."

The article goes on quoting the defense saying police had tunnel vision after this information.

Also from the article Kimberlyd125 posted:

"Gough tried four times to ask Downs if there was a less painful or more merciful way to kill someone. Kelley prohibited it, but the doctor did say lethal injection and electrocution could be as quick and painless."

It really doesn't matter if it was quick or painless, the baby is dead and not coming back!

http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crim...details-toddlers-slaying-first-day-demarquise

Several of the women jurors were visibly shaken when prosecutors began showing crime scene and autopsy photos of Antonio bundled in a jacket, mittens and knit hat lying lifeless on a stretcher with a bullet wound between his eyebrows.

:(
God bless those jurors. I can not imagine.

I am pretty jaded and grizzled by experience, but I can't imagine seeing photos of a young murdered child still bundled in his coat, mittens and stocking cap. Inhumanity at its worst.

Also from the article Kimberlyd125 posted:

"Gough tried four times to ask Downs if there was a less painful or more merciful way to kill someone. Kelley prohibited it, but the doctor did say lethal injection and electrocution could be as quick and painless."

It really doesn't matter if it was quick or painless, the baby is dead and not coming back!

Trial law 101, don't ask one question too many. The jury now knows that the worst execution Is better than what Antonio got.

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 3h

A Brunswick detective who made 1st contact w/ the toddlers mother after the shooting is testifying @wjxt4

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 3h

Dominique Lang the other murder suspect appeared in court today. But it was for pre-trial motion from defense. jury was not in room. @wjxt4

I wish this Tim Pulliam would give a little more info in his tweets.

wow I'm finding a live feed hard to come by; is this case being taped then aired?

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 6m

Defense is trying to attack Sherry West credibility through alleged conflicting statements to police detective testifying now @wjxt4

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 2m

Detective on stand: Sherry West told me she suffers from a mental disorder. @wjxt 4 The defense is really focusing on this fact

Defense is trying to attack Sherry West credibility through alleged conflicting statements to police detective testifying now @wjxt4

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 2m

Detective on stand: Sherry West told me she suffers from a mental disorder. @wjxt 4 The defense is really focusing on this fact

That SOB! Having a mental disorder doesn't mean she killed her baby. I assume she has had the mental disorder for quite a while and she hasn't gone around killing other people. Where are the mental health advocates who should be protesting this awful defense?

I always felt that she was complicite and maybe shot her own kid. This is jmho. Plus her obvious self inflicted wounds....I am on the fence for sure in this case.

Tim Pulliam ‏@TimPulliam 13s

Judge Stephen Kelly: "the state is assuming Sherry West (toddlers mom) will be a witness in this case." @wjxt4 #elkins #trial

I always felt that she was complicite and maybe shot her own kid. This is jmho. Plus her obvious self inflicted wounds....I am on the fence for sure in this case.

What leads you to believe her wounds were "obvious self inflicted?'

The defense has been cross examining Detective Angela Smith for the last 2 hours. Prosecutors will get their turn afterward @wjxt4

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teemariee
Back