GA - Apalachee High School shooting, 4 dead, 9 injured, Winder, Barrow County - 04 September 2024 *father and son arrested* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sds71

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Deborah Polhamus, 74, spent almost 24 hours taped to a chair in her Fitzgerald home, an incident report shows. She was found Nov. 4, 2023 by a friend of her daughter, Annie Brown (Annie is the friend, Marcee is DP's daughter), who lives in Florida. Brown told police she had become concerned about her (I.e., Marcee's mother, not Annie's) mother after she was unable to reach her by phone, and had asked her friend, who lives in Fitzgerald, to check on her.
From above link ; Marcee : I never harmed my mother and contacted a family friend later in the day to go to her home and release her.”
“Marcee became upset and told Deborah that she was making her go with her because she was going to kill her ex,”.
Marcee threw her up against the wall causing a cut on her left wrist.

That's nice Marcee admits this was wrong, but to say she never harmed her mother is false, imo.
Makes this school shooting murders seem more like nurture over nature.

Maybe all three; parents and Colt, need to be locked up for a very long time ?
My opinion of Marcee's apology is that is appears to be an effort to get her sentence reduced.
Omo.

On Monday students and parents returned to campus for an open house.

Sheriff Jud Smith worked to reassure everyone that they are safe.

“Understand that there are safety measures in place, just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they’re not there,” Smith said.

Students will return in phases: starting Tuesday they will have half days.

When they return from fall break on October 14, they’ll resume classes full-time.

Interview with the mom of one of the students who was wounded in the attack.

The mom of an Apalachee marching band member has been focused on her 15-year-old son's healing. The journey is both physical and mental.

She said she wants her son to know it's OK to live and continue with life while feeling all the emotions that come with this tragedy.

This mom and her son's story is just one at many at Apalachee High School. A prayer service was held Monday night for parents, students and staff members to support everyone as the community starts a new chapter on Tuesday.

Classes will resume Tuesday with half days until October 4. On October 14, after a weeklong fall break, students will transition back to full school days, the release said.

The site of the shooting, J Hall, will remain closed. Students will temporarily be bused to a nearby school system building until “new classroom pods” arrive in January.

Counselors, therapy dogs and law enforcement will be on site as students adjust to school routines again.

“We know this isn’t easy,” Dallas LeDuff, superintendent of the Barrow County School System, said in the news release. “We are all still navigating our way through adversity and emotions we may never fully understand. The safety and well-being of our students and staff remain our top priority. We are committed to holding discussions with our community and safety experts about additional layers of security.”

Classes will resume Tuesday with half days until October 4. On October 14, after a weeklong fall break, students will transition back to full school days, the release said.

The site of the shooting, J Hall, will remain closed. Students will temporarily be bused to a nearby school system building until “new classroom pods” arrive in January.

Counselors, therapy dogs and law enforcement will be on site as students adjust to school routines again.

“We know this isn’t easy,” Dallas LeDuff, superintendent of the Barrow County School System, said in the news release. “We are all still navigating our way through adversity and emotions we may never fully understand. The safety and well-being of our students and staff remain our top priority. We are committed to holding discussions with our community and safety experts about additional layers of security.”

The school leaders are really working hard to move forward with the school year in a safe and sensitive way.

I forgot children also feel survivor's guilt when their classmates are killed.

Yeah. Victim count in mass shootings never includes bystanders and it should, IMO. Those individuals are psychological victims which can be just as dangerous and harmful as victims who experienced physical injuries.

Yeah. Victim count in mass shootings never includes bystanders and it should, IMO. Those individuals are psychological victims which can be just as dangerous and harmful as victims who experienced physical injuries.
The Washington Post did an article recently in which they listed all the school shootings since Columbine along with how many students went to each school and would have been affected. It was awful when you see it in black and white. There have been 417 school shootings since 1999 and 383,000 children affected.

This will be behind a paywall. https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/interactive/school-shootings-database/

Tara Shipman was among the angry Apalachee High School parents and community members who made emotional pleas to the school district this week for increased safety measures in the wake of the deadly mass shooting.

Oct 03, 2024

I haven’t seen this article posted here yet:

“The Making of an alleged School shooter” by the WaPo. It’s behind a paywall but it shows the appalling circumstances this child was raised in.
His life was on a fast track to disaster with multiple warnings given to the various school systems he attended, child welfare, behavioral health professionals and law enforcement just to name a few. Truly sickening.

Editing to add, according to the article, at one time the mother had a drug screen that was positive for alcohol, hydrocodone, OxyContin, meth and Adderall. All in ONE sample!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/10/03/georgia-school-shooting-suspect-apalachee/

Last edited:
I haven’t seen this article posted here yet:

“The Making of an alleged School shooter” by the WaPo. It’s behind a paywall but it shows the appalling circumstances this child was raised in.
His life was on a fast track to disaster with multiple warnings given to the various school systems he attended, child welfare, behavioral health professionals and law enforcement just to name a few. Truly sickening.

Editing to add, according to the article, at one time the mother had a drug screen that was positive for alcohol, hydrocodone, OxyContin, meth and Adderall. All in ONE sample!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/10/03/georgia-school-shooting-suspect-apalachee/

I read this WaPo article too. It was chilling. And as you said, sickening. Anyone with a subscription should read it.

I don't have subscription and was able to read the entire article.

from the article:

He grew increasingly paranoid over this past summer, family members said, and talked in recent weeks about hurting himself or others. In a potentially critical moment of inaction days before the shooting, the examination found, Colt’s father failed to take him to an inpatient clinic the teen described as his last chance of getting help.

Colt's mother 'rejected the idea that her behavior contributed to his mental health decline or to the massacre at Apalachee.'

of course she did ...

Colt had talked at home about his fascination with school shootings for more than a year, his mother said

sigh ...

Last edited:
hmm...quote function isn't working for me...

"In a potentially critical moment of inaction days before the shooting, the examination found, Colt’s father failed to take him to an inpatient clinic the teen described as his last chance of getting help."

Gee...where else did we see a parent denying/postponing getting their kid mental health help after the kid asks for it desperately and ending up with the same result? Sounds like Crumbleys to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj
Back