GA GA - Atlanta, BlkFem, 20-40, UP656 found in field, strangled, man convicted, Sep'94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
Warning PM

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number94-1901
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-40
Estimated Year of Death1994
Estimated PMIHours
Height5' 1"(61 inches) , Measured
Weight88 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundSeptember 20, 1994
NamUs Case CreatedNovember 6, 2007
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
Street Address332 Piedmont Avenue NEAtlanta, Georgia 30308
CountyFulton County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of RecoveryFound in a field. A man was eventually tried and convicted but the decedent was never identified.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionlong, curly, black, 8 inches in maxium length.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Descriptionbrown
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Piercing
each ear lobe pierced one time.

Clothing and Accessories
No Informatio

173UFGA

173UFGA1.jpg
173UFGA.jpg

Date of Discovery: September 20, 1994
Location of Discovery: Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
Estimated Date of Death: Hours prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Homicide by strangulation.

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 20-40 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Female
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 88 lbs.
Hair Color: Black, curly up to 8" in length
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Pierced ears.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not available. Crowns on upper teeth.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: A bag found near the body contained size 4 shoes and a lace bra.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's nude body was found in a vacant lot on Piedmont Road, Atlanta, GA, on September 20, 1994.
A man was eventually tried and convicted.

It appears that Brian Burell "Buddy" Coleman was convicted of her murder, via DNA and a time slip from his job near the scene. He admitted to having sex with her but denied killing her. His DNA was not linked to any of the other (34 in metro area, 25 in Atlanta) stranglings of sex workers in the mid-90s. Per a newspaper article, she was raped, sodomized, and strangled, and was described therein as being about 25 years old, 5' tall, 90 lbs, and had "perfect white teeth. It was obvious that she had had braces at one time." (This is a quote from Nancy Grace, who was a Fulton County ADA at the time.) Her panties were found hanging from a bush, and one of her shoes was nearby. Another article describes her as having gold crowns on her upper right teeth, middle twenties, 5'1", and 90 lbs, with a medium complexion.

The Hunt | Inside strangler(s)’ playground amid ’96 Olympics

1994 Atlanta Jane Doe - Newspapers.com
1994 Atlanta Jane Doe 2 - Newspapers.com
1994 Atlanta Jane Doe 3 - Newspapers.com
1994 Atlanta Jane Doe 4 - Newspapers.com
Atlanta 1994 Jane Doe 5 - Newspapers.com
1994 Atlanta Jane Doe 6 - Newspapers.com

was she possibly a sex worker? Even though her killer said nothing of her being one.

was she possibly a sex worker? Even though her killer said nothing of her being one.
If you look at the articles linked in my earlier post (#4), her death was connected by police and the media to other killings of crack-addicted sex workers. However, for what this is worth, Nancy Grace stated that she doubted the woman was a sex worker because "she didn't have drugs or alcohol in her system, her hair was expertly styled, and she had a fresh manicure." Her convicted killer (Brian Coleman) was also not able to be linked to those other murders (of known sex workers), and many were ultimately attributed to other individuals.

I recently found a GA Supreme Court ruling about an appeal Coleman filed, in which his version of events is summarized:

In his statements to the police, appellant said that he was in downtown Atlanta the evening of September 19.   Although he originally omitted any mention of the victim, after being presented with the results of the DNA testing appellant admitted that he had had sex with her.   His version of the encounter with the victim was strikingly similar to the story he had given police regarding a rape complaint made against him one month earlier by a witness who testified appellant struck up a conversation with her at a downtown MARTA station;  bought her food then forced her at knife point to engage in vaginal sex from the rear;  attempted unsuccessfully to have anal sex with her;  and placed his hands around her neck.

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Georgia case and opinions.

If you look at the articles linked in my earlier post (#4), her death was connected by police and the media to other killings of crack-addicted sex workers. However, for what this is worth, Nancy Grace stated that she doubted the woman was a sex worker because "she didn't have drugs or alcohol in her system, her hair was expertly styled, and she had a fresh manicure." Her convicted killer (Brian Coleman) was also not able to be linked to those other murders (of known sex workers), and many were ultimately attributed to other individuals.

I recently found a GA Supreme Court ruling about an appeal Coleman filed, in which his version of events is summarized:

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Georgia case and opinions.
Interesting that she believes that. You don't have to be addicted to drugs or be an alcoholic to be a sex worker tho. I think this is just media stereotyping sex workers as a whole and that they believe all of them are drug addicts and alcoholics.

I would definitely take Nancy Grace's opinion with a grain of salt. It is interesting that his then-recent rape victim reported that he approached her initially offering a meal, versus sex work. It might be helpful to know if the other victim were a sex worker, assuming he had any sort of preferred victim.

I would definitely take Nancy Grace's opinion with a grain of salt. It is interesting that his then-recent rape victim reported that he approached her initially offering a meal, versus sex work. It might be helpful to know if the other victim were a sex worker, assuming he had any sort of preferred victim.
Idk. Maybe other than his preferred victim being sex workers, it could even be something else about the victim that he preferences. Like gingers, a certain race or ethnicity, a certain religion, voluptuous women, amputees, etc. The list goes on. So maybe for him it might not be sex workers it might be that the victims have something that is preferable "in his taste". If you get what I mean.

Thomasina Willamina Crosby might be a possible match. Her weight and height have a wide possible range in her profile.
Last contact from Crosby was in July of 1994. She stated to a family member she was leaving Jackson, TN to come visit Alabama. Family never heard from her again. Jackson (TN) police checked her welfare at her last known residence. A former roommate stated she had been evicted and left with her belongings in July 1994. Crosby may have gone by alias "Keisha".

Atlanta is in between Tennessee and Alabama. 1727497557046.png

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing:
A bag found near the body contained size 4 shoes and a lace bra.
Tomasina was in transit and on her way to visit family in Alabama, and was recently kicked out of her residence. Having a bag with shoes and a bra (maybe there was other clothing at one point too) also might point to this Jane Doe being Tomasina.

Nancy Grace stated that she doubted the woman was a sex worker because "she didn't have drugs or alcohol in her system, her hair was expertly styled, and she had a fresh manicure."
If this Jane Doe is Tomasina, then it sounds like she recently was down on her luck, and maybe was new to sex work?

I have emailed this tip to the investigator assigned to her case.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ga-supreme-court/1347489.html
His version of the encounter with the victim was strikingly similar to the story he had given police regarding a rape complaint made against him one month earlier by a witness who testified appellant struck up a conversation with her at a downtown MARTA station;
Sounds like he got his victims at the nearby train station.

I am unfamiliar with MARTA train system seeing as I am Canadian. Would that be a train that might be transporting someone from say Tennesee to Alabama? Tomasina's family resided in Montgomery (side note her father's obit has his photo and doesn't look too far off from this Jane Doe.)

Below is an image with directions from the station this jane doe was found near, to Mongtomery, which is where I believe Tomasina was trying to go...

1727500953137.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back