GA GA - Atlanta Georgia Blk Male 35-50 UP660, found beaten Found in alley behind a building May 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The Doe Network: Case File 162UMGA

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Warning PM

Unidentified Black Male

• Located on May 4, 1985 in Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia.
    • Cause of death was homicide.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 35 - 50 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8" - 5'10"; 140 - 150 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Short, curly black hair; brown eyes. He had multiple scars in the left antecubital fossa (elbow). Faint black mustache.
    • Clothing: He was wearing gray corduroy pants, a gray shirt with gray stripes, red socks, gray leather shoes and red womens underwear.
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • Dentals: Cemented Bridge
    • DNA: Insufficient DNA for profiling

Case History
The victim was found in the alley behind a building at 177 Harris Street in Atlanta, GA. A broken bottle with blood on it was found in the alley. Cause of death was blunt trauma to the head.

According to namus: DNA testing showed profile from more than one person.
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Fulton Co. Medical Examiner's Office
404-730-4400
Email

Agency Case Number:
85-0851

NCIC Number:
U-820002093
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

1683051714404.png

Harris Street was renamed John Portman Blvd in 2011. If the street numbers haven't changed, he was found near what's now Centennial Olympic Park, an area which has completely changed since 1985. The description references an alley. Searching Newspapers.com, a 1965 classified ad describes 13,000 feet of warehouse space at that location. Several 1982-1983 ads also mentions 13,000 sq feet of warehouse space, specify that it was located between the Omni and Merchant Mart. I'm assuming the Omni referenced here is the coliseum that was demolished in 1997; if so, he really was found in an area that was destroyed to make Centennial Olympic Park later. Two April 1986 ads mention Woodrich, Inc, a flooring dealer being located there. Similarly, Swanston Fine Arts, Inc. operated at that address from at least 1987-1989, based on exhibition notices.

I was curious what was going on at the Omni when he was killed. I kid you not, it was the Muppet Show on Tour that week, from Thursday to Sunday. As the Atlanta Constitution said of Miss Piggy, "She worked the Omni runway like Miss America." I'm inclined to think that he had nothing to do with that event.

The women's red underwear is an interesting detail. It may have been what was available to someone down on their luck, or reflect some personal choice.

Scarring to the left antecubital suggests a right-handed IV drug user. Atlanta, 1985, low socioeconomic, maybe crack use? He didn't match fingerprints at that time, though.

Cemented bridge suggests that at one point he had access to decent dental care. I don't immediately see any gray hair, so I'd guess he's on the lower end of the estimated age range. A bit young to have a bridge, but maybe it was related to an injury versus poor dental health.

A Ralph Nunn had left Alabama to 'party' in Atlanta only a few weeks before this JD was found. Although he was slightly older than the estimated age.
"Subject was last seen in Alexander City. He stated he was going to Atlanta to party. He was never heard from again."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back