GA - Atlanta police "Investigator of the Year" killed while trying to break into a neighboring home, Douglas Co., 04 Oct 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

vls12345

Reaction score

The sheriff’s office said one of the homeowners was woken up by commotions outside and knew that his wife had just left for work.

The husband eventually cracks open the door to speak with Horton, and Horton then rushes to the door.

The sheriff’s office said that’s when the homeowner shot Horton, fearing for his life. Horton died on the scene.

Sheriff’s office investigators said Horton appeared on video to have been suffering a mental health episode or was under the influence of drugs.

According to Sheriff Tim Pounds, Horton, 39, attempted to gain entry into a home located in the 8000 block of Orkney Way around 5:08 a.m. on Oct. 4. Horton, who lived nearby, allegedly forced his way inside the residence, prompting the homeowner to shoot him in self-defense. Horton was later identified using a portable fingerprint scanner, as he was found without identification, a shirt, or shoes.

How tragic. It reminds me of a recent case in El Paso, Tx where a highly-accomplished retired FBI agent with PTSD was shot during a mental health crisis. Devastating for all concerned.

edit: "Authorities released redacted video footage from the incident to provide further clarity as to what happened..." I honestly don't see why the police are more concerned about "providing clarification" than they are protecting the privacy of one of their own who was obviously in an acute crisis. It felt invasive and voyeuristic witnessing that man in distress like that.

Last edited:

View article for info on what happened leading up to what im about to post

The homeowner then tried to communicate with Horton, asking if he could help, before Horton forcibly rushed inside, knocking the homeowner to the ground after he slightly cracked the door trying to see what was going on, according to the sheriff’s office.

“Fearing for his life and in defense of his home, the homeowner discharged a single round from his firearm, fatally wounding Horton inside his home,” the sheriff’s office said.
I feel awful for all who were involved, but this shooting seems justified to me

Looks like Aubree Horton filed for divorce in May of this year:
1728355215982.png

(I will try to pull up additional documents/info later but, right now, the Cobb Superior Court website for documents is not loading.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back