GA - Body of newborn found in gym bag, Sandy Springs, 11 March 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
mindi77 said:
I think that it is really sad that a little boy was the one that found it. He will always remember that.
This is sad. The little boy will forever remember that. WOW. poor boy. My heart is crying for this baby. Like Cubby said - there are other means if you do not want your child. Give it a chance at least to live a life.

very sad.

Rosco

I only know about the Safe Haven Act because I've read about it on here. I don't know if Washington state has it or not. I also think that there shouldn't be a certain number of days in which a baby can be dropped off. The mom may take the baby home and try to take care of it but in a month she realizes she can't cope with the crying and constant responsibility then she becomes frantic to give the baby to someone.

There should be advertisement of the Act everywhere that people can read it. Especially where teens will know about it. It's like it is there but it is a big secret.

SadieMae said:
Where did that happen? It's not supposed to IF it's in a Safe Haven state. I think all but 17 states have a Safe Haven act. If she dropped her child off in one without it, yes, they would probably treat it as a crime, abandonment.
If it's the case I'm thinking of (Marion County, TN), the mother was being searched for because she had left the infant in a non-Safe Haven designated spot. The baby was left at a Head Start facility during school hours, on the sidewalk beside a school bus where it (I hate to call a baby "it", but I can't remember the gender) would be found quickly.

Reading between the lines, law enforcement didn't seem to be searching for the mother very diligently, probably because they were happy she left the baby where it would be found instead of killing it, kwim? The media, of course, was all over the story like stink on a skunk anyway.

mom3dd said:
Seriously is there a knowledgeble person out there that has an inkling on how to get national attention, national day. As I have said before though one woman dropped her child off and they were searching for her via all the media if its safe haven no questions asked why work so hard on trying to find the mother. Which made other women aware that it isn't no questions asked.
I know that I have heard about women dropping off their baby at least twice here in N. Texas. One I do remember there being a big hoopla over it but it was because the baby's aunt showed up at the fire station demanding the baby (this baby was like six weeks I think and the mom must have told her sister where she took the baby) and then I think the babys father did too. I don't remember it that well because it was a long tims ago just that it was a big deal and all over the news.

There was a baby left at another fire station about a month ago too that I remember hearing about. On the news they talked with the firefighters and showed the fire station and talked about how the mother drove in to the parking lot and then left several times before coming in to the station. It was all very detailed on the news even talking about the neighborhood that the fire station is located in.

Both times when I saw these stories I did think that having so much attention focused on them on the news that it might scare away girls thinking about using this law. I know that they want to get the law out there but I think it would work better by PSAs or the news reporting on the law instead of focusing on the cases that are supposed to be anonymous.

SLP said:
I know that I have heard about women dropping off their baby at least twice here in N. Texas. One I do remember there being a big hoopla over it but it was because the baby's aunt showed up at the fire station demanding the baby (this baby was like six weeks I think and the mom must have told her sister where she took the baby) and then I think the babys father did too. I don't remember it that well because it was a long tims ago just that it was a big deal and all over the news.

There was a baby left at another fire station about a month ago too that I remember hearing about. On the news they talked with the firefighters and showed the fire station and talked about how the mother drove in to the parking lot and then left several times before coming in to the station. It was all very detailed on the news even talking about the neighborhood that the fire station is located in.

Both times when I saw these stories I did think that having so much attention focused on them on the news that it might scare away girls thinking about using this law. I know that they want to get the law out there but I think it would work better by PSAs or the news reporting on the law instead of focusing on the cases that are supposed to be anonymous.
I agree!

Ditto to what so many of you said. I know, here in NY, if my neighbor is noisy, or if I don't have heat, to call 311. But what if I'm 17, and have just given birth, w/o meds, in my parents' bathroom, and want to get rid of the baby before it makes any noise? THAT needs the same kind of public-awareness campaign. (And a program that picks up--because obviously drop-off isn't working.)

southcitymom said:
I would love to see deatils of the law posted in high schools.
Great idea!!! Wouldn't cost much more than printing posters. It REALLY needs to be out there to let these young girls know, they have a safe option for their baby without being found out.
I like the pick up idea also T-Rex. Call and tell them where the baby was left.

SLP said:
What state are you located in? I think it depends on the State (how many days) because here in Texas it is 60 days.

30 days in louisiana. (my mistake on wisps of information i have seen)

still not nearly enough. maybe make it 10 years. even 5, even 1 would be better safety net for these babies.

the information isnt out there. maybe put it on the folder in the pregnancy test? thats probably the first thing a girl will read at the beginning.

Mira said:

still not nearly enough. maybe make it 10 years. even 5, even 1 would be better safety net for these babies.

the information isnt out there. maybe put it on the folder in the pregnancy test? thats probably the first thing a girl will read at the beginning.
ooohhh WHAT an awesome idea!!!

Mira said:

I thought about the pregnancy test too. Then I wondered -especially with poor young girls, do they do a test (they are kind of pricey) or do they kind of just find out when it's too late....?

I love the pick-up idea as well.

This is sort of off topic, but it makes me think about my goddaughter, who was adopted from China. In China it is illegal to abandon a newborn, but the country is littered with the bodies of infant girls. Many families just leave the newborn females in the fields or woods to die, but other families travel (in some cases 100s of miles) to abandon their daughters near orphanages. My goddaughter, when she was 10 days old, was left in the night on a stand of cabbages in an open market across from one of the larger orphanages. When she was discovered, she was taken immediately to the orphanage which is of course what the parents must have hoped would happen.

March 2015:

Sandy Springs Police seek clues in dead baby's cold case

http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/sandy-springs-police-seek-clues-dead-babys-cold-ca/nkPCg/

As Sandy Springs Police near the eight-year anniversary of an unresolved homicide, they are hopeful that a $2,000 reward will help crack the cold case of a newborn baby found dead in a duffel bag.

Sandy Springs Police Sgt. Ron Momon says the baby was no more than one or two days old, and might have been just hours old when he died, weighing 4.3 pounds. An autopsy showed no physical trauma to his body. The AJC reported that the infant "appeared to be Hispanic or African American" and died from malnutrition and exposure.

"You can just tell the way that it was left there [out in the open], the person probably wanted someone to find the bag," says Momon. "It's just unfortunate the child was deceased before someone found the bag."

Momon says with no tips in this case for the better part of a decade, it is very frustrating. Now, detectives are hoping that someone is ready to come forward. There is also the possibility that someone might recognize the distinctive duffel with its gold "Star Recognition" logo. Momon says someone may have heard someone else talk about this incident, or might just finally be ready to tell the police what happened to get it behind them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back