Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inclined to agree about Towns doing this alone. I think he had a plan - or thought he had one - and it just turned out to be an absolutely awful idea.

I agree as well.

A thought I'm hung up on is that he was familiar with that pond, and most people know that you can't just drive a vehicle into a body of water for very far. He should have realized he needed to pick up some speed and try to launch it into the water. But instead, he drove directly into the center of the poles (which I'm sure he knew were there) and that impact caused the air bags to deploy. Then he couldn't see anything so he got out and walked/ran away from the SUV. smh.

So sad on so many levels.

Coverage from the 11 pm news from Macon, GA's 13WMAZ, along with videos and earlier reports:

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/lo...arch-for-missing-cobb-county-couple/22276947/

Main video has a clip from an interview with an employee of a nearby Marathon station who has known the suspect's family for 20 years. WMAZ promising more coverage about Towns from the area tomorrow.

Toward the end of this clip the woman who manages the food store said that RT came in frequently but hadn't been in for the past 2 weeks.

It looks as if the family has been notified of identification based on the latest post on the Find Bud & June FB page: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=844100718962440&id=842141039158408

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. -1 Corinthians 13:13

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her -Ephesians 5:25

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. -1 John 4:7

Bud & June had an amazing love. They loved God and that is evident in how they lived.

A photo of Bud and June holding hands at the beach is shared in the post.

Well I'm onto a craigslist scammer from back in April and I was going to post it sometime. Basically it's someone advertising a Toyota very inexpensive. Last night I was looking at it and saw he/she just put up pics of the same car for sale at the end of December. Researching him from before s/he's advertised the same car, different states.

The latest ad is buysellandtrade website. When I first responded in April here was his/her reply.

Hi,

I've received your email regarding the 2005 Toyota Prius with 74,000 miles on it. The car is still for sale and my asking price is $2,400. It is a 2005 model loaded with everything, VIN# JTDKB20U253016966. The car is very well maintained and it has just been completely serviced. The engine runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. The car is in perfect condition with clear title,no accidents, no liens or loans.
I'm an oceanographer and I'm on sea at this moment, so I left the car in Charleston, SC, at the shipping company, it's already packed and waiting to be shipped anywhere. Shipping/delivery is included in this price as I almost closed the deal with another customer but he was unable to take the loan from the bank. I've already prepared shipping for him as he was out of state.

Here are some pictures with the car:
2005 Toyota Prius

Let me know if you are still interested.

Regards,
Katie *****

You gotta be careful out there especially on too good to be true deals. Now this crime has ticked me off and I'd like to get this person busted, what's the best agency to contact?

Sorry if this was discuss but zi wonder if they knew him or maybe they knew his family?

I don't believe that anyone else is involved but Towns.

No one else pressured him into doing this, imo. He planned all along to rob these people and he knew when he did he would also have to murder them to keep them silent.

I never heard they were found close to any store. In all the videos I have seen the Sheriff said they were found not too far from the pond where the vehicle was located.

He may have been waiting for them and wasn't driving a vehicle. He may have told them 'pick me up and I will take you back to see the Mustang.' When he got in their car he took them down the road to where they were later located with them thinking they were going to a certain location to look at the car. Along the way, he could have pulled a weapon on them and made them pullover. He made them go in the woods not far from the pond and I think he shot both of them there or beat them to death with a bludgeoning object. He then knew he had to get rid of their car so he tried to submerge it into the pond but their vehicle became hung up on the steel rods/poles and he couldn't get it to go fully into the pond. He then left and walked back to his home. IMO

What I think was a God send was their vehicle getting hung up on the steel rods. If the car had gone in and was completely submerged LE may have never located the car and wouldn't have known which area to search to find Bud and Ruth's bodies.

Imo, he did this and he did it all on his own. I suspect he is a drug user.

I also think Ruth wanted to go with Bud. They were an extremely close loving couple. I have gone many times with my own husband to look at items he wants to buy. I went because I wanted to go and I am sure Ruth did the same. She may have been looking forward to buying the Mustang as much as Bud was.

BBM, Respectfully just to keep the names accurate.
June not Ruth.

That doesn't really shock me. WS is filled with cases where murderers had/have no prior criminal history.

Yeah but they usually kill people they know (for revenge, sex, life insurance, etc...)

This guy set a random couple up couple up for robbery/murder which is unusual for someone without a criminal history.

Well I'm onto a craigslist scammer from back in April and I was going to post it sometime. Basically it's someone advertising a Toyota very inexpensive. Last night I was looking at it and saw he/she just put up pics of the same car for sale at the end of December. Researching him from before s/he's advertised the same car, different states.

The latest ad is buysellandtrade website. When I first responded in April here was his/her reply.

Hi,

I've received your email regarding the 2005 Toyota Prius with 74,000 miles on it. The car is still for sale and my asking price is $2,400. It is a 2005 model loaded with everything, VIN# JTDKB20U253016966. The car is very well maintained and it has just been completely serviced. The engine runs very good and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. The car is in perfect condition with clear title,no accidents, no liens or loans.
I'm an oceanographer and I'm on sea at this moment, so I left the car in Charleston, SC, at the shipping company, it's already packed and waiting to be shipped anywhere. Shipping/delivery is included in this price as I almost closed the deal with another customer but he was unable to take the loan from the bank. I've already prepared shipping for him as he was out of state.

Here are some pictures with the car:
2005 Toyota Prius

Let me know if you are still interested.

Regards,
Katie *****

You gotta be careful out there especially on too good to be true deals. Now this crime has ticked me off and I'd like to get this person busted, what's the best agency to contact?

If you have dealt with CL with regularity, I'm not sure which agency you'd contact but CL has had a disclaimer on their pages warning about buying ANY vehicle that involves ANY shipping for years now. This is a scam that the scammer hopes you are stupid enough to "front" him the money to have the car "shipped", one of the earliest CL scams, yet you see them fairly often.

Sorry if this was discuss but zi wonder if they knew him or maybe they knew his family?

I was wondering the same thing and I haven't seen any confirmation or not regarding this. Right now there are still a lot of unknowns...they haven't even officially stated that it was Bud and June's bodies that were found. A lot isn't being released to the general public.

While murder is such a cold and sensless act, my logical mind longs to wrap around it. I feel like there very well could be some family ties somehow since it seems like there are weird coincidences/circumstances around the whole situation. My heart aches for Bud and June...I hope that they were not tortured and that they went as quickly and painlessly as possible. That's one of my biggest heartaches in all of this. While I strongly believe we all have the right to live and that NO ONE deserves to be killed like this, it breaks my heart all the more when it happens to people such as Bud and June seemed to be. A man who gathered thrown out bicycle parts to make bicycles for kids who were not as lucky, and a woman who loved children and her husband just as much.

My heart aches.

I wonder how RT expected this to all play out? Did he give the Runions his real name? Did he expect them to get there, see there was no car and hand over the cash? Did he think they wouldn't then report him the authorities? I just don't get it. Nobody (I don't think) with no criminal background would plan to rob and kill two innocent people just for $22,000. All three pictures of him look different to me - body type and coloring. In one picture he is burly with blonde hair and blue eyes, in the arrest picture he looks like a dark haired, dark eyed punk kid (I can call him a kid I'm in my 60s). His eyes do look druggy. Maybe as someone suggested he owed drug money and would do anything to get some fast cash? Someone threatened his family? Guess he didn't expect to get caught.

Yeah but they usually kill people they know (for revenge, sex, life insurance, etc...)

This guy set a random couple up couple up for robbery/murder which is unusual for someone without a criminal history.

I am not sure it is that unusual anymore. There have been several cases recently where strangers have murdered people they didn't know.

I still don't put any stock in the fact he had no prior criminal history or that it may be unusual or not. That means nothing to me because I fully feel this is the suspect who murdered the Runions.

IMO

Don't ever underestimate good.

'I never ever underestimate Evil, Starry Night'.. "Good triumphs Evil"!

Quote by Roger L. Depue “Between Good and Evil” Author & Retired FBI BAU Profiler:
http://www.amazon.com/Between-Good-Evil-Profilers-Predators/dp/0446532649

My job has been to try to stop human predators before they kill again, and after studying them so closely over so many years, to me their traits seem clearly recognizable.

Evil is more than a vague notion. It is an entity, and it is manifest on the earth. It has reflexes and intuition, senses vulnerability, and changes its form to adapt to its surroundings. Those who do not believe the Devil walks this earth have not seen the things that I have seen.

Evil is not a discrete entity that springs forth fully formed. It is born in the mind, takes root there as fantasy, and prospers when normal human restraint can no longer contain it. I have seen it devour the personalities of men like Richard Speck, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy, turning them into blank-faced sociopaths who clearly know right from wrong, but choose, time and again, to follow their own base urges, with complete disregard for the terrible human suffering they cause.

I believe that every act of homicide causes a slight unbalancing in the world, and that it diminishes life’s universal equation. In the interest of justice, it is imperative that someone try to right that imbalance. But the task of fighting evil can take a terrible toll on the people who are charged with it. It can cost them their families, their equilibrium, their capacity for joy...

It doesn't seem too bright to lure your target to your home town - and a small one at that - to commit the crime. And then to leave the car sticking out of the pond that close to your house. Maybe he thought he would be able to sink it completely but that was as far as it would go into the pond.

If the Runion's children are correct that they didn't take the money with them, maybe not having cash on them made Towns so mad he flipped out on them and killed them.

This was not the outcome I was hoping for.....

Age 28 for a man: wants to get married-or so sunk in vice he goes off the rails.

This guy had everything going for him-handsome, beautiful wife, beautiful child, secure roof over his head, God's land to enjoy nature.........good family. What the heck happened last year or 2 in his life to be involved in this mess. Is living in the country or a small town so boring that drama must take over?

Did he work?

I think meth dealers or gambling debts or some other scandal made him vulnerable-maybe they threatened his family.
Or is he a Lone Wolf with societal problems from day one? A lot for LE to sort out and I imagine many a scared person in that county.

Oh Lord this is absolutely tragic.

What did he think he had to gain by the fact that they were driving from SO far away? Or did it not occur to him that there could possibly be any link whatsoever to him? Idiot, mongrel, worthless garbage who just robbed so many people of loving family members, all for money that he would've (had he gotten away with it undetected...) spent on what, drugs? a new truck? downpayment on a little house he would have to live in with a wife and visiting relatives who never knew how much evil was contained in him? I absolutely, positively, do not understand this raised-heart-rate, "my lucky break!", manner of evil.

One of the most absolutely heartbreaking cases I've read on WS. The thought of Bud dreaming of a certain boyhood car for decades. His sweetheart going along with him for the ride through pretty countryside to finally get it. R.J. Towns, was likely aware that stranger/slight acquaintance abductions/murders combined with jurisdictional linkage blindness are the most difficult to solve by homocide investigators. RJT did not factor in the effectiveness of internet social media and msm awareness created in this case, nor the Sheriff utilizing all available investigative resources; immediately requesting the GBI<Georgia Bureau of Investigations>..
'Just wondering if there is any more vehicles or other indictable evidence possibly located beneath the surface of the pond'?

Just.. VILE.

Imo, the Runions were not born yesterday and although likely trusting individuals, were well aware of the possible dangers of making a large purchase from a stranger via a craigslist ad.

RE: One of the most absolutely heartbreaking cases I've read on WS.

Yes, bettiepageturner, the Runion murders is one of the most heinous and heartbreaking cases on WS.. Imo, there will be a direct or indirect link to drugs, likely meth..
From observations of patterns from researching sexual predators & psychopathic serial killers from the 1980's CA speed freak killers to the present.
There seems to be a common denominator of methamphetamine use/abuse attributed to these senseless and horrific crimes. From Pastors to Politicians, seems that no one is exempt or excluded. Meth appears to be the primary catalyst for psychopaths to act out their fantasies, which create new sadistic psychopathic tendencies in otherwise normal personalities..

Blame the Brain..
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/science-scope/blame-the-brain-psychopaths-are-wired-differently/
<sniped - read more>
Psychopaths (now often coyly
labelled sociopaths) are the only real persons, places, things, in
their world. The rest of us are figments of their imagination, in
effect, to be manipulated and used in anyway appropriate and
convenient to their needs.

If they believe it to be ultimately useful
to their purposes to be kind and generous and considerate towards
someone, they will -- without limit, if helpful to their ends -- or
if they believe it to be more convenient to destroy someone, they
will. There is no such thing as truth or lies external to them --
which explains why such persons can readily pass lie detector tests,
for example.

A quasi-religious psychiatrist I knew said they were born without
souls. A philosopher long ago came to literally believe that there
are people in this world who are actually not really human beings,
but who absolutely emulate the real thing and are basically
impossible to recognize as non-human. I think he was trying to
explain the psychopath.

I don't think there is any indication that the Runions knew their killer beforehand.

I think if that was true the Runion family would have spoken out about that.

It looks as if the family has been notified of identification based on the latest post on the Find Bud & June FB page: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=844100718962440&id=842141039158408

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. -1 Corinthians 13:13

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her -Ephesians 5:25

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. -1 John 4:7

Bud & June had an amazing love. They loved God and that is evident in how they lived.

A photo of Bud and June holding hands at the beach is shared in the post.

That was Beautiful! And so sad of an outcome!
Prayers to Bud and June's family and friends!

I wonder how RT expected this to all play out? Did he give the Runions his real name? Did he expect them to get there, see there was no car and hand over the cash? Did he think they wouldn't then report him the authorities? I just don't get it. Nobody (I don't think) with no criminal background would plan to rob and kill two innocent people just for $22,000. All three pictures of him look different to me - body type and coloring. In one picture he is burly with blonde hair and blue eyes, in the arrest picture he looks like a dark haired, dark eyed punk kid (I can call him a kid I'm in my 60s). His eyes do look druggy. Maybe as someone suggested he owed drug money and would do anything to get some fast cash? Someone threatened his family? Guess he didn't expect to get caught.

I think that it wasn't a well thought out plan. My belief is that he felt desperate, for whatever reason, and could not see the forest for the trees. I'm NOT excusing him at all, simply trying to get in his frame of mind...he found what he felt was a quick, easy fix to his problem. I don't think he PLANNED to kill them, I don't believe he thought beyond getting them (anyone) here and getting the money he needed. What did he think they would do, just hand over the money and he'd go on his merry way? Yeah..I do think in his mind it very well might have gone that way. I personally think drugs are involved (on his end) and people on drugs or jonesing for their next fix don't think beyond just that. He thought, in my opinion, I'll be okay... They'll move on, I'll get the money and life will be okay.

Oh, if only it could have happened that way. Better yet, if he could have gotten REAL help and saw that this was no solution to any problem. I have little sympathy for those who kill, but I do feel awful for all the lives he's disrupted because of his bad choices.

People have murdered others for far less money than 22K.

IMO

Has anyone heard of the COD yet? Also,I missed the $22K price tag, was that in an article? The family said the Runion's didn't travel with $, so I wonder what he got out of this? IMO

If you have dealt with CL with regularity, I'm not sure which agency you'd contact but CL has had a disclaimer on their pages warning about buying ANY vehicle that involves ANY shipping for years now. This is a scam that the scammer hopes you are stupid enough to "front" him the money to have the car "shipped", one of the earliest CL scams, yet you see them fairly often.

Thanks, I'd originally thought the ad was for local until I got that response. I'd smelled a scam from the beginning when they advertised a 9-10 thousand dollar car for $2500. I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity and see if it was my lucky day. After the response I never replied but sleuthing them showed the same ad in 3 other states, different times. I'd forgotten about it till this crime and looking again last night and seeing a new ad I'd like to report him to law enforcement, not craigslist. I'm left with not knowing who to contact though, I'll post when I work it out.

Has anyone heard of the COD yet? Also,I missed the $22K price tag, was that in an article? The family said the Runion's didn't travel with $, so I wonder what he got out of this? IMO

Just before the 4 PM press release on Fox news yesterday there was a poster named David (had last name but don't remember) in the comment session who was being tweeted from an insider to the investigation but he wouldn't say who. This David is the one who said the two bodies were found behind a store and mentioned the $22,000.00. It doesn't surprise me that Bud's daughter didn't know that he brought the funds, I'm sure they would have told him it was an EXTREMELY bad idea. He was probably eager to buy the car and the perp probably said something like I have other interested parties - the first one here with cash will get it. I took the "behind the store" comment not necessarily mean to be directly behind a store but in the case of a highly rural, wooded area perhaps just serving as a landmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966