Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
3. I bet the Runions had to stop and ask for directions becuase they did not have cell service. According to the lady at the store, they stopped around 5:30. (probably lost cell reception by this time). According to family, Runions last spoke with someone on the phone at 3:30. This would be around Metro Atlanta I believe where there is plenty of AT&T Reception.

Sunset in McRae on January 22 was at 5:56 p.m.That would mean that at 5:30, when they would have stopped at the antique store to ask for directions, it would already be starting to lose a little bit of light.

Why would you want to head out 180 miles at 2 p.m. to view the classic car of your dreams, knowing that it would be almost dark when you got to see it ?? I know that I would want to check out something for sale in the bright light of day.

(Weather data for McRae on January 22: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEZM/2015/1/22/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&MR=1 )

I was just looking through the news channels to see if there were any updates and I came across the following article ... http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/cr...igslist-sale-ends-in-fatal-shooting/22579249/

Chances are it is not related, but what the heck? Don't people watch or listen to the news?

This morning this was the lead story on the local news here in Atlanta - another warning about Craig's List. My neighbor told me last night her son had sold some tires on Craig's list and one of the callers wanted to meet at 11 pm at some shady location - fortunately he declined and sold them to someone else. I have no doubt the caller intended to take the tires without paying him ( or worse)!

I wonder if Bud & June's cell phone plan was a shared plan with one or more of their daughters? That might explain how the phone records were obtained so quickly - the kid(s) could just log on to the shared account to see what calls/texts Bud received.

I agree with you, the records were obtained quickly. Bud was retired from AT & T formerly BellSouth. It's possible a colleague or friend of Bud/family allowed the family access to the phone records. I don't know that this happened, just another possibility.

http://www.kplctv.com/story/27963265/murdered-couples-neighbor

I was just looking through the news channels to see if there were any updates and I came across the following article ... http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/cr...igslist-sale-ends-in-fatal-shooting/22579249/

Chances are it is not related, but what the heck? Don't people watch or listen to the news?

If you are meeting someone at midnight to buy a pit bull then well....obviously you think differently than the majority of the folks that post here. That area of Dekalb County is a real cesspool these days, I know because I used to live there. Plus it is against the rules to "sell pets" on craigslist, they only allow adoption ads for a small adoption fee.

But people are unaware, the other day I called a local jeweler to ask if they bought diamonds (I have a pair of diamond earrings I need to sell) and the lady told me to try craigslist! That would be a high risk item to sell and I wouldn't feel comfortable even trying, though if I did I would probably meet them for breakfast inside of a waffle house so the whole transaction could happen on surveillance cams.

Sunset in McRae on January 22 was at 5:56 p.m.That would mean that at 5:30, when they would have stopped at the antique store to ask for directions, it would already be starting to lose a little bit of light.

Why would you want to head out 180 miles at 2 p.m. to view the classic car of your dreams, knowing that it would be almost dark when you got to see it ?? I know that I would want to check out something for sale in the bright light of day.

(Weather data for McRae on January 22: http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KEZM/2015/1/22/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&MR=1 )

This is exactly what I have been thinking. It just makes no sense for them to go to an unfamiliar area that late in the day, when by the time that they arrived to meet the killer, it was probably about dark - and down a dark dirt road no less! JT must have really been a smooth-talker. :(

The lure of the "dream car" probably made them throw caution into the wind. Sounds like the car was something they really wanted.
If they thought they were going to get a deal on their dream car they might have done things with less caution they normally did.

It's mind blowing how deeply this entire country has been moved by this senseless act. I'm in Colorado and watching the news this morning there was a quick bit about a city outside of Denver. The Sherriffs department there (and the local jail) have offered their lobbies as a safe place to conduct CL transactions due to this case. Bud and June's legacy will live on, even in far away places in small ways.

This is exactly what I have been thinking. It just makes no sense for them to go to an unfamiliar area that late in the day, when by the time that they arrived to meet the killer, it was probably about dark - and down a dark dirt road no less! JT must have really been a smooth-talker. :(

I'm wondering if he told them it HAD to be that late because he had to work and perhaps he couldn't meet Saturday during the day for the same reasons. Plus I'd bet that he told them he had several potential buyers to lure them to act quickly. I mean, he did some really dumb things in the aftermath of his crime, but I think he at least had the brains to know it needed to be getting darker to pull this off, regardless of his plan included robbing them only or robbing and killing them.

Just a thought, if you were building repore with an intended victim you could tell them you could not meet them until after you get off work. That would put them meeting after five. Bud runion was a working man all his life and that would make since. Also would be a reason to go to the town instead of meet half way. RT had a child. What if he shows up with a kid. That would put your victim at ease too.

http://www.13wmaz.com/media/cinematic/video/22450663/

One second in, he is asked, "Did you have anything to do with this?"
He lifts his head slightly and says, "No," with only a bit of emphasis and quite calmly, IMO.

My gosh, if I'm headed into court and being charged with two murders, among other things, and I didn't do it -- I would be screaming and crying, "I didn't do this. Oh, my, God, I didn't do this!!!"

Seems to me that only a guilty person could phonate the puny "No" and exhibit the calm demeanor that he did in court.

Hi, I'm new here. I am in the Atlanta area. I have read all of the posts. I also retired from bellsouth like Bud Runion. At BellSouth everyone called him Sarge. He was a manager. Extremely liked by everyone. I personally did not know him. Here are some facts and questions.
1. RTs mother had just gotten out of hospital from brain surgery.
2. RT was separated from wife. Why? What happened.
3. I don't care how dumb you are do you lure someone to your home to rob them?
4. Older veterans sometimes think they are invincible, I was married to one, but rarely do they take their spouses into harms way.
5. Were there other people involved in the divorce.
6. More later
Thanks for letting me join in.
Welcome

#4 So, true. I am married to one. But he doesn't blindly go into situations. He always has his weapon. In a situation such as this, (I asked him) his said he would have the weapon ready...safety off etc before he got out of the vehicle. And he would have never taken me down a dirt road. I really don't think he would have gone himself, because he always says you are looking and thinking ahead. However my husband is only 54 just retired after 30 years, so I have no clue if age makes a difference or not.

I am having a hard time seeing Bud letting his guard down but we don't know the full picture yet.

It's mind blowing how deeply this entire country has been moved by this senseless act. I'm in Colorado and watching the news this morning there was a quick bit about a city outside of Denver. The Sherriffs department there (and the local jail) have offered their lobbies as a safe place to conduct CL transactions due to this case. Bud and June's legacy will live on, even in far away places in small ways.

There's a PD up here in Michigan that just offered to do the same.

I was not on her at all yesterday, so I have much to catch up with. I just wanted to say, I feel so badly for RT's mom. My MIL had two brain surgeries and this is the very last thing she need to deal with while recovering from such a serious surgery.

RT's father mentioned someone went into the woods with him to get RT but was hesitant to mention the persons name. Or did I just make that up in my head?
id like to know who that was. Seems odd to me we haven't heard from more "friends."

This is true. He looked over and said "am I allowed to say" they never said who it was. Kinda strange.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northsearch
Back