Identified! GA - Cauca/Female, 18-25, Dixie, Brooks Co, 31 Oct 1981 - Shirlene "Cheryl" Ann Hammack

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

folieadeuxnola

70's-80's Jane Doe's
Reaction score
Dixie Jane Doe

C5E029E9-B37C-4CD2-A4B3-A1749FBF5674-300x150.jpeg 94826565_134414048090.jpg

Date Discovered: Saturday, October 31st, 1981
Discovery Location: Dixie, Brooks County, Georgia

Physical Description:

Race: Caucasian
Sex: Female
Height: 5’2” (62”)
Weight: 100 - 110 lbs.
Head Hair: Dark Brown
Facial Hair:
Eye Color:
Green
Clothing: Blue jeans and a pullover t-shirt
Jewelry:
Misc. Items:
Condition of Remain:
Recognizable face
Characteristics/Medical/Scars:
Transportation:
Postmortem Interval:
Hours
Estimated Year of Death: 1981
Cause of Death:
Fingerprint Status
: Available
Dental Status:
DNA Status:

Circumstances:
The unidentified woman was found stabbed to death off of Dixie Barwick Highway in Brooks County, Georgia on October 31st, 1981.

A Winnebago with Alabama license plates has been seen parked near where her body was found.

A woman and her daughter traveled from Liberty, KY seeking her granddaughter they verified the woman found was not her.

The woman and her daughter were brought to the fair in Valdosta, GA where they found her granddaughter. She identified the photo of the unidentified woman as a woman whom worked at the fair when it opened in Quitman and had worked with the fair in Thomson, Griffin and Bainbridge Georgia.

A van had been seen had been driven by an escaped convict from Kentucky. The man was arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle along with other charges.

The woman was finally laid to rest on January 22nd, 1982 at the Oak Hill Cemetery in Quitman, Georgia.

Investigating Agencies:
Brooks County Sheriff’s Office
1004 Holloway Drive
Quitman, GA 31643
Tele: 229.263.9323
Web:
http://www.brookscountyga.us/#departments

News/Blogs:
11/02/81 – The Atlanta Constitution
11/04/81 – Quitman Free Press
11/11/81 – Quitman Free Press
11/01/18 –
http://valdostatoday.com/news-2/local/2018/11/brooks-county-jane-doe-killed-37-years-ago/
Find a Grave - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/94826565/jane-doe

Last edited:
This image next to her headstone must be the official reconstruction sketch. Not much definition to the sketch... Wonder if I could request a PM photo to make a newer, more detailed sketch*?
*Just an fyi...My portrait paintings hang inside state buildings.

Attachments

• quitman jane doe.jpg
    quitman jane doe.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 60
This image next to her headstone must be the official reconstruction sketch. Not much definition to the sketch... Wonder if I could request a PM photo to make a newer, more detailed sketch*?
*Just an fyi...My portrait paintings hang inside state buildings.

Assuming that it is coffeeandacig it appears to be apart of the headstone. Have contacted LE and news sources it is bothersome as to why this Doe is not in NAMUS nor GBI's sites.

If you have the pull to be able to acquire the PM for a recon for sure go for it....

Was she in NamUs at all? I've looked all over and can't find her. She's not in the Doe Network or the GBI database either.

Gourami looked at all the MP/UID sites also have not found her either. I'm not surprised thou remember back to Drew Greer he had an MP profile however his Doe remains in GA did not have a UID profile. His remains were not out in the public realm until LE exhumed them earlier this year for DNA extraction and comparison. Had a UID NAMUS profile or GBI been created for his remains 10-20-30 years ago, no doubt a sluther would have been able to match him years ago.

Last edited:
@folieadeauxnola:
Do you happen to have a screen shot or link to the original article from the Quitman Free Press or the Atlanta Constitution?

I have the Atlanta Constitution article and the link to the article by the Quitman Press from today. I have contacted Quitman inquiring on more info about the Doe. Did receive a response and was referred to a person at another media outlet thats linked with Quitman awaiting a response from Charles. Also contact the University library in Valdosta as they maintain news archives for the Valdosta newspaper awaiting a response from them as well.

I have the Atlanta Constitution article and the link to the article by the Quitman Press from today. I have contacted Quitman inquiring on more info about the Doe. Did receive a response and was referred to a person at another media outlet thats linked with Quitman awaiting a response from Charles. Also contact the University library in Valdosta as they maintain news archives for the Valdosta newspaper awaiting a response from them as well.

Amazing work folieadeuxnola! I hope you receive responses very quickly from the archivists!
It'll be interesting to see how the carny lifestyle, the Winnie with Alabama plates and the Kentucky fugitive fit into the picture.

Amazing work folieadeuxnola! I hope you receive responses very quickly from the archivists!
It'll be interesting to see how the carny lifestyle, the Winnie with Alabama plates and the Kentucky fugitive fit into the picture.

TY :) ... Trust me I'm just as confused about as anyone else .. its a bit strange even the news articles were mixed as I was LOL

Link to her case on FB. Lots of comments from locals who remember her case.

Kelly Sage

Thank you Al Ka, I do not have an FB account would you mind asking her if she would come to visit this thread. I'm sure Kelly could shed more light on this case.

And based on a few comments I believe she could use some WS assistance and direction on where to go with this Doe to getting her out into the light of state and national databases. From the reading she is very passionate to helping identify this Doe

Last edited:
I did find out whom the Kentucky convict was G Newsome he also escaped out of the Brooks County prison while being held on charges in Dec 81. He escaped with another inmate that was later captured in Gainesville FL however have not found where G Newsome was captured or not.

It was the GBI office in Moultrie that handled her case

Last edited:
Gourami looked at all the MP/UID sites also have not found her either. I'm not surprised thou remember back to Drew Greer he had an MP profile however his Doe remains in GA did not have a UID profile. His remains were not out in the public realm until LE exhumed them earlier this year for DNA extraction and comparison. Had a UID NAMUS profile or GBI been created for his remains 10-20-30 years ago, no doubt a sluther would have been able to match him years ago.

Oh I am NOT surprised she is Not on Namus.. There are so many that are not and its so sad!!.. Like the example of all of the Unknowns that are buried in Harts Island from the 1980s and 1970s here in NYC and Not one is on Namus or anywhere!! Oh don't get me started ha!...

came across this girl and thought I would post.

The Lost & The Found

Karen Zendrosky

Thumbnail

View on NamUs
Date last seen Oct. 22, 1979
Age last seen 16 years old
Sex Female
Race White
Ethnicity Unsure
Nickname/Alias
Circumstances: Karen Zendrosky was last seen in Hamilton Township on October 22, 1979.
Weight 97 to 97 lbs
Height 62 to 62 inches
Hair color Brown
Left eye color Green
Right eye color Green

the only thing that might not match is this
Scars and marks Scar on right ear from previously implanted plastic shield
Skeletal Lower right arm broken

I came across this girl who ran away. Says dark Dark Blonde but photo looks darker.. and eyes say hazel.. but hazel means different thing to different people.. I know its been discussed in multiple threads. Anyway just thought I would post her anyway.

62DFIN - Debra Jean Cole
DCole.jpg

ame: Debra Jean Cole
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: August 29, 1981
Location Last Seen: Lebanon, Boone County, Indiana

Physical Description
Date of Birth: March 29, 1969
Race: White
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark blonde, Wavy, Shoulder Length
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Debra has a birthmark the size of a half dollar on one ankle (unknown if birthmark is on right or left ankle).

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Blue sneakers

Circumstances of Disappearance
Debra Cole was last seen on August 29, 1981 at her home in Lebanon, Indiana. She did not take any of her belongings with her and had no travel plans. When Debra Jean Cole disappeared, there were rumors that she was pregnant. She was reported as a runaway on August 31, 1981.

Have received some more information on the Dixie Brooks Jane Doe and her case.

This is summarized highlights (bullet points) from many articles received from the Valdosta Daily Times.

The woman was found in brush 40-60 feet off of Dixie Barwick Hwy she had died from stab wounds to the abdomen. It was reported a Winnebago with Alabama license plates where the body was located about 4:00 pm Saturday.

The woman was wearing blue jeans and a pull over sweater top described as 5'2" between 100 - 110 lbs with dark brown hair and green eyes and had died @ 24 hours before she was found.

Her body was sent to the GBI crime lab in Moultrie where she was be finger printed in order to help identify her.
Brooks LE is holding a man for questioning in the connection with the body of a young woman found in Dixie. The man had not been arrested was connected to a brown and white Winnebago with Alabama license plates. No knife that could have possibly been used in the stabbing was found in the Winnebago.

The woman had been fingerprinted however LE stated it's was possible the woman had never been fingerprinted before as that their has not been a match.

The man arrested was connected with a fair organization however LE declined to make any further comment about the connection.

The GBI of Thomasville and Sheriff Bembry are working the case.
The suspect being held my Brooks LE in connection with the body of a woman found hear Dixie was arrested on felony drug and theft by receiving stolen property charges. The man is accused of having stolen credit cards and personal papers as well as illegal drugs in his possession at the time of his arrest.

LE are still trying to identify the woman; LE suspected the woman was not local and was from the west of Georgia possibly Alabama or Mississippi.

LE stated that the suspect that was arrested had come from the west and if he was the one he could have picked her up on the way.

The suspect had worked one day with the fair in Quitman.
The suspect being held at the Brooks County jail is also a recent escapee from Kentucky and Athens, GA. The man has reportedly gone by 4 -5 names, he was being held in Clarke County after he allegedly escaped from a state prison in Kentucky. He is only a suspect at this time however has not been charged with the case of the unidentified woman.
LE connected the Winnebago found near where the unidentified woman's body was found with the suspect. The Winnebago was stolen from Haines City, FL

Some evidence was uncovered from the motor home and was sent to the GBI crime lab but would not disclose what the evidence was.

A woman from Kentucky viewed the unidentified woman's body but that lead turned up nothing and the woman returned to Kentucky.

LE suspected that it is a possibility the woman could be from Kentucky however at this time they were back to square one. It is possible the woman could be young however the estimate was to to between 18-25.
The body of an unidentified woman found near Dixie has been unofficially identified as that of a former employee of the fair that was in Quitman and is now in Valdosta.

However, Brooks LE are not ready to say whether the identification made by a 16 year old girl who works for the fair is correct.

A fair employee William's viewed the body Saturday and said the woman is actually 16-17 girl whom worked with the fair in Thomson. The fair employee stated she never knew the girl's name and said the girl had joined the fair in Thomson. The last time she had seen her was while the fair was in Bainbridge. LE stated the girl was very upset and sincere with her statements, however LE was treating the identification as only a possibility at this time.
Two fair employee's including the mother of the girl who tentatively identified the unidentified woman were jailed and are to be questioned

The two are not suspected in the stabbing death of the girl were holding them to see if they know anything

One fair employee said the body was that of a girl that joined the fair in Thomson and had worked with it in Griffin and Bainbridge LE stated the identification was only tentative and were continuing to look elsewhere for clues in her identity

After 3 weeks of investigative interviews spanning from Florida, Kentucky and Michigan only have a tentative identification from a young fair employee.

A suspect it being held on unrelated charges until LE receives the results of the evidence sent to the crime lab for analysis.

The suspect has made no statement concerning the unidentified woman.

The body of an unidentified woman may be tentatively identified by a Moultrie woman as her niece. After seeing sketches of the girl the Moultrie woman was taken to the state crime lab.

The unidentified woman had many strongly similarities to the woman's niece. Dental records were acquired for the woman's niece and was sent for comparison with the unidentified woman.

It was noted that the unidentified woman was seen with a blond haired by at the fair.

Unfortunately I have no further information as to what came about the dental comparison with the woman from Moultrie's niece. Also still looking to acquire the sketch will see if it comes around or not.

I do know the suspect that was being held escaped from the Brook County Jail in December 81. However have not found if he was captured or not

I'm still researching stay tuned ...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx