GA GA - Charles 'Chuckie' Mauk, 13, Warner Robins, 17 Feb 1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Looking at this case after hearing Bessie talk about it on true crime radio and wondering what the situation was with the friend Chuckie road to the store with, does anyone know? Did he leave sooner then Chuckie? See anyone?
I've tried to find an exact answer to that question, myself, but keep running into a a dead end. I tend to believe that IF Chuckie, indeed, went to the store with a friend, the two separated at some point before Chuckie stopped next to the white car. Perhaps the "friend" headed home in a different direction. Or, perhaps the "friend" was purposely omitted from news articles for his protection. I don't know. But to the best of my knowledge, Chuckie was alone when witnesses saw him talking to the man in the car.

I've tried to find an exact answer to that question, myself, but keep running into a a dead end. I tend to believe that IF Chuckie, indeed, went to the store with a friend, the two separated at some point before Chuckie stopped next to the white car. Perhaps the "friend" headed home in a different direction. Or, perhaps the "friend" was purposely omitted from news articles for his protection. I don't know. But to the best of my knowledge, Chuckie was alone when witnesses saw him talking to the man in the car.

Thanks Bessie, I bet Chuckies Mom knows and if so, she would have talked to police about whoever it was. it's just an odd missing piece when you read the story.

New article: ETA: Whoops, sorry, NOT new! From 2010. Don't know why it showed up showcased on macon.com's site today...? (Maybe just because of the anniversary...?) Maybe something is stirring...so I'll leave it here, for those who haven't read it.

Witness to 24-year-old killing of Warner Robins boy speaks out

...Another woman, 45, of Warner Robins, also distinctively remembers that night. She and her brother may have been the last people to see Chuckie alive. With his killer still at-large, the woman said she did not want her name published to protect herself and her family from potential harm.

The woman, who was 21 then, said she was driving home along Burns Drive headed toward Russell Parkway after visiting a friend. She had her brother, then 13, and a friend of Chuckie’s, with her. They both saw Chuckie on his bicycle talking to a man inside an older white car....

...The woman also recalled being taken to the crime scene several times, and she remembered being hypnotized two or three times for the development of an artist’s sketch of the man Chuckie was talking with. The sketch was later age enhanced....

more at: http://www.macon.com/news/article28580284.html#wgt=trending

This case is so strange. Especially in light of movie star police sketch.

I think the sketch hurt the investigation... Even if it is accurate. People look at it and it reminds them of a celebrity. Since they haven't seen anyone around that looks like the celebrity, they think they haven't seen the guy.

Also, there was “the woman.” A woman approached Cathy and out of the blue, asked if she were Chuckie Mauk’s mom, to which Cathy answered, “yes,” happy that someone remembered her son. With no real knowledge of the case whatsoever, the woman coldly replied, “When parents don’t take care of a child, God brings them home.”

That's just ugly...ugh - I would've slapped the hell out of that lady for even daring to say it

Greggmill261 - I am so sorry for your loss.

Do you have any information to share with us that has not been discussed in the thread previously? What do you in the family think happened? And what do you think of the sketch of the POI?

This article isn't new, but I didn't see this particular link posted. (Even if it was, it won't hurt to post it again.) It gives a pretty good summary of the case.
Boy went on bike for bubble gum, met a killer - CNN.com

This case stands out in my mind as one that should have been solved by now. From what I remember, there was a guy who moved away abruptly right after the murder. I tend to think he was the perp.

I agree with those who think that he may have been soliciting Chuckie and then shot Chuckie in anger after being rebuffed.

I don't think anyone would be killed for witnessing a drug deal unless it was a major one, and nobody would be making a big drug deal in the parking lot of a grocery store where a random cop could pull in at any moment in order to buy a soda or candy bar.

If Chuckie knew the guy beforehand, then the list of possible motives gets much longer.

Heck, Chuckie was the best player on his baseball team. Maybe somebody thought he was too good. Maybe the perp had a younger brother who pitched for a rival team. Kids have been targeted for similar reasons in other cases. I think everyone remembers the mom who ordered a hit on her daughter's cheer-leading rival.

Witnesses speak out in cold case murder of 13-year-old boy
rbm
''On a special episode of Fox Nation's "Crime Stories," Grace was joined by Mauk's mother, Cathy Miller, a close childhood friend of the boy, Chris Panaczek, and others who would have been around Mauk every day leading up to this death.

Almost immediately, Panaczek revealed something about the case that was seemingly only known by police.

"I see Chuckie's talking to a white gentleman in a white Buick Regal," said Panaczek, who claimed to be driving past the 7-Eleven parking lot moments before Mauk's killer pulled the trigger.''

"Woah, woah," jumped in Grace, "I'm getting information I've never heard before. So the perp is a white male. And what kind of car?"

"It's Buick '79, '78, '81 Buick Regal-type of vehicle... solid white car," continued Panaczek.''

"I have talked about this case. I've talked to cops about the case. I've talked to investigators about the case. This is the first time it's being defined as definitely a white male," said Grace in apparent disbelief.''

"I remember an emblem being on a fender behind the front tire of that car," he said, "That's why I say it's like a Buick Regal because it's like a knight symbol, like a crest that they have over in England ... and it's red, white and blue."

What a heartbreaking case. My heart really goes out to his family.

It seems like the sketch of the man in the white car isn't really easy to find (besides at the beginning of this thread here), as I just read a few links from this case with no sketches of the man then, nor an age enhanced sketch, nor a picture of the vehicle to be seen. I know the case is 20+ years old, but wish the pictures were included in recent articles. One old sketch isn't enough, IMO.

What a heartbreaking case. My heart really goes out to his family.

It seems like the sketch of the man in the white car isn't really easy to find (besides at the beginning of this thread here), as I just read a few links from this case with no sketches of the man then, nor an age enhanced sketch, nor a picture of the vehicle to be seen. I know the case is 20+ years old, but wish the pictures were included in recent articles. One old sketch isn't enough, IMO.
I remember that some suspicion fell on a man who moved away abruptly right after the murder. Does anyone recall that man's name or know whether he had access to a white Buick?

I've been learning about this case since it was brought up in the websleuths channel live chat with a guest speaker. It's heartbreaking to consider how Chuckie's mom has had to cope with losing her son and 30 years without resolution.

At websleuths, they were appealing to everyone to keep the case alive. With new clues recently surfacing, just maybe..on a wing and a prayer....Chuckie's mom can finally get some answers.

One of the things that sort of nagged at me was the composite sketch of the suspect. It seemed that the only one we had here was an age progressed composite made from the original. But, I don't see the original here. If it is, my apologies for posting it again.

Attachments

• Original Composite Sketch.jpg
    Original Composite Sketch.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 38
I've spent most of today researching Buicks, the emblem, and the models which had the emblem situated on the front fender behind the tire.

I'm not sure if the witness saw the crest emblem or the tri-shield emblem? Buick had both types.

So far I've only found one model of buick that has an actual crest logo in that position. The latest year for that model is 1977. After that date, the Regal emblem in that location appears to be the name, and not the crest. However the crest doesn't appear to have red in it. Only blue and white.

I plan on picking my brother's brain. If there is one thing that guys knows, it's cars.

So, I spoke with my brother. After he made my head explode with how quickly he could rattle off the makes, models, engine sizes and performances, he finally said this in the end part of the conversation, but first asked me if it was a 4 door or a 2 door. (I never gave him any info more than it was a buick, pre-1986 with an emblem as described by CP.)

"Yeah it was a Regal or a Grand National. Basically the same car but the Grand National was the hot rod. It had a turbocharged engine. Fastest production of those years; faster than a Bet or Firebird...."

My little brother just amazes me.

@Gardenkeep I don't think the original sketch was posted here. Thanks for posting it.
It seems to me that this should have been as publicized along with the age progressed one, but it wasn't. I'm not sure why. Honestly, if witnesses are revisited, it will be the original they will recall in that place and time, IMO. Don't you think?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agent 9
Back