Identified! GA - Cherokee Co, Remains in Woods Behind Home on Purcell Ln, July 2018 - Gary Farris *wife arrested

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Authorities are collecting evidence on property in Cherokee County just north of Milton after human remains were found, law enforcement officials said Saturday.

The residence is on the 2000 block of Purcell Lane, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Marianne Kelley said in a news release. Kelley said the remains were located in a wooded area to the rear of the residence by owners of the property.
Deputies arrived sometime Friday morning, and police remained at the scene Saturday. The property includes a pond, a creek, several pastures and an extensive amount of wooded area, according to the news release.

The home has an Alpharetta mailing address but is in an unincorporated part of Cherokee County.
Cops investigating after Cherokee County family finds human remains on property

Channel 2's Lauren Pozen spoke with the GBI Sunday morning, who said that depending on the condition of the remains found on the property, it could take days or weeks to identify them.

Neighbors said peace was shattered in the wealthy enclave.

"Their place is beautiful. They got the horses and the fields, I mean, it’s the last place I’d imagine anything bad like that would happen," said neighbor Ken O'Reilly.

News Drone 2 flew over the scene on Purcell Lane as investigators and dive crews were searching for clues.

“I saw the fire trucks and things coming in and thought something was up," said neighbor Dave Dudas.

Investigators are leaving no stone unturned. They also canvassed the neighborhood.

“Two detectives came by yesterday to ask me about suspected gunshots that have happened over the week," said neighbor Dani Dudas.

GBI: It could take 'days or weeks' to identify remains found in Cherokee County

The remains have been taken to the GBI crime lab in hopes that they can be identified.

Investigators have returned to the area daily since Thursday, combing the large property for evidence. A diving crew is also searching the bodies of water on the property for any other evidence.

Officials are working to determine if the death is suspicious. Deputies said they do not know the age of the person or if they are a male or female.

"It's a matter of making sure we cover every inch of land for any kind of evidence,"said Sergeant Marianne Kelley.
Human remains found on wooded Cherokee Co. property

For now, officials have completed one portion of the investigation into human remains found in Cherokee County just north of Milton.

However, the GBI said it could take days or even weeks to identify the remains, Channel 2 Action News reported, depending on their condition.

The remains were found to the rear of residential property in the 2000 block of Purcell Lane, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Marianne Kelley said. They were located Thursday in a wooded area by the property owners.

Cherokee County officials have finished the part of the investigation that includes the home and won’t be returning to collect more evidence, at least for now, Channel 2 reported Sunday.
GBI: It could take weeks to ID remains found in Cherokee County

Also, some the articles mention the body being discovered on Thursday, but deputies arriving Friday. Was there any law enforcement on scene the day the body wasn’t found?

Another article above does say that investigators have returned daily since Thursday so maybe they were immediately on scene. Just kind of confusing.

IMO

IMO “sensitive investigation” tells me this is going to get weird or we won’t ever get a lot of details.

Odd phrasing. I think this will be a high profile case, JMO. Also at that link:

A witness tells CBS46 that police officers, the fire department, and a dive team have been seen at the home in the 2100 block of Purcell Lane for three days.

The witness, who lives in the neighborhood, says a prominent Atlanta attorney lives at the residence.
Human remains found on property in Alpharetta

BBM. If the body was found in the woods, what are they using a dive team for? Searching the pond for something? More remains? Or a murder weapon? My guess at this point is they are looking for a gun because they were asking neighbors if they had heard any unusual gunshots in the area.

The "prominent Atlanta attorney" part is possibly why this is a "sensitive investigation" IMO. I don't know who it is but they better have a lot of evidence if they think he had anything to do with this or knows anything about the body in the woods. Same if they are looking at a family member of the attorney. My prediction is that LE will keep things very hush hush until they are ready to press charges. JMO.

BBM. If the body was found in the woods, what are they using a dive team for? Searching the pond for something? More remains? Or a murder weapon? My guess at this point is they are looking for a gun because they were asking neighbors if they had heard any unusual gunshots in the area.

The "prominent Atlanta attorney" part is possibly why this is a "sensitive investigation" IMO. I don't know who it is but they better have a lot of evidence if they think he had anything to do with this or knows anything about the body in the woods. Same if they are looking at a family member of the attorney. My prediction is that LE will keep things very hush hush until they are ready to press charges. JMO.

maybe the attorney hasn't been heard from....

maybe the attorney hasn't been heard from....
:eek:
Well that's possible too, I suppose! But wouldn't we hear about it if a high profile attorney was "missing" while a body was found near his house? I would hope his (or her) colleagues and family would speak up, but maybe not... o_O

The link in post #2 says the dive teams are searching "the bodies of water on the property" for other evidence. What other evidence, it doesn't say, but the first things that come to mind are a weapon or the decedent's personal belongings.

creepy. any idea who this attorney is or if there are any missing attorneys

There are pictures of the house at the links. I'm sure someone here could figure it out, but just a reminder that we are not allowed to post any names here until named by the press or Law Enforcement. ;)

This confirmed rumors I had heard, which made the original news stories so puzzling... if it is the homeowner and was discovered by the homeowners, why were they saying “it could take days or even weeks” to identify the remains?

IMOO - I would assume his family and work knew he was deceased during this time because there was no missing report filed for him, and he obviously would have been MIA if they did not know he was deceased. All my thoughts since I can’t back anything up with a MSM source yet, but there will be a lot more to this story to come...

I met the attorney when answering a craigslist ad for goats a couple of years ago. When I pulled up, he was standing out front his house in his robe and peeing in the yard. After that awkward moment, he stated for me to drive up to the barn, that his son was the one selling the goats. His son was living in the barn and was in charge of taking care of the animals and land. I texted him again last year to see if he had anymore goats to sell. He was still living in the barn when I went out there the second time. I won’t speculate, but the bad vibes were strong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in2itive
Back