GA GA - Chris Burns, 37, missing day before docs due to SEC, Gwinnett Co, 25 Sep 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perimeter Center E
Dunwoody, GA
Google Maps

Perimeter Center E appears to make a giant loop around several places his car could have been located at.
If his car was found in a parking lot in the area, I wonder what his mode of transportation was from that point?
There is a Marta(pubic rail system) station located in the area. The end of the line going south is Hartsfield-Jackson Airport

UPDATE: Class-action suit filed against missing adviser

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia against Christopher W. Burns, 37, of Berkeley Lake, as well as Matson Money, Inc., a company “to whom Burns referred all of his clients,” according to lawyers.

Reached by phone, a representative of Matson Money declined comment on Wednesday. But Thursday, the firm issued a statement denying involvement in any wrongdoing.

“Matson Money has never sold, offered or provided custody for promissory notes, particularly those at the heart of the allegations against Christopher Burns,” the statement said.

Matson Money, founded in 1991, has $8 billion in assets under management, according to the company’s website. The firm lists among its advisers Nobel-winning economist Harry Markowitz and supply-side economist Arthur Laffer.

Here is the suit (38 pages long):
http://www.hastingsgroupmedia.com/DossGaslowitzFrankel/1028Filing.pdf

Doss Law Firm: Atlanta-Area Victims of Vanished Financial Advisor File Class Action Lawsuit to Recover Losses
Attorney Jason Doss said: “Burns appeared to be a charismatic, competent, and trustworthy family man, which is why the Atlanta community was shocked to learn that he was reported missing the day before he was supposed to provide the Securities and Exchange Commission with documents related to his business, Investus Advisers. We now know that Burns was at the center of a Ponzi scheme and Burns’ co-advisor, Matson Money, aided and abetted the Ponzi scheme.”

The lawsuit reads in part as follows: “… As reported in the news, Burns was a well-known financial advisor and entrepreneur based in Atlanta that claimed to be an investment guru and even had his own radio program on 95.5 WSB called The Chris Burns Show. Burns also regularly appeared on television providing investment advice. … Since his disappearance, Burns has been charged with the federal crime of mail fraud and there is a warrant for his arrest. In addition, on October 20, 2020, the Georgia Commissioner of Securities issued an Emergency Order to Cease and Desist against the Investus Defendants for violating the Georgia Uniform Securities Act of 2008 by engaging in a fraudulent scheme and selling unregistered securities, i.e. promissory notes.”

Attorney Robert Port, co-counsel on the case added: “Given the recent revelations, we expect more victims of Chris Burns and Matson Money to come forward. We’re committed to helping these unsuspecting investors, who trusted Burns as the ‘investment guru’ he claimed to be, to seek justice.”

Judge freezes assets for missing financial advisor as search for him continues
18 Nov
Snipped
Federal investigators have now frozen all the assets of a missing financial planner...Investigators also named Burns’ wife as a relief defendant trying to cut off any proceeds she might have from what authorities call a scam...A judge just froze all the couple’s assets as the FBI looks for Burns...

Representatives for Mrs. Burns issued a statement Wednesday, saying:
Snipped
...It bears repeating that Meredith Burns played no part in the operations of the companies and the government has therefore not made any such allegations, which is why Meredith has been listed as a relief defendant and not an actual defendant in the SEC complaint. She continues to cooperate fully and consistently with all law enforcement authorities...

FBI Atlanta seeks public’s help locating GA man wanted for mail fraud | WBTW
burns-wanted-poster.jpg

Imo CB's wife and his wife's attorney's statement should probabably have read: "all the weapons are accounted for - as far as we know".

Many people have handguns that other members of their families don't know about. Not that the handgun owner is necessarily hiding them from the family, just that they never notified them of the purchase(s). Jmo

I understand completely the family's disagreement with a police report that Burns was possibly suicidal, as nobody wants to think this - but the text messages to respective family members telling each of them he loved them could certainly be construed as a good bye of sorts.

And it sounds like he recruited some of those closest to him into the peer to peer lending / investment scheme which is now being investigated by the SEC, including some from his own church. This may have cost some people their life savings, and if true, would be a very difficult thing for CB to face. If found, CB may be facing some very serious charges and some very significant time, but I don't know this. My guess he was aware of how serious the investigation was when he apparently fled.

Lastly, if you attempting to run away or disappear yourself (vs. suicide) why would you leave 3 cashiers checks in the car totaling $78,200? I hope CB is alive, and I hope he his found. I hope even more that all those people get their life savings and investments back. Very sad
He left copies of the checks, not actual checks.

The Perimeter area that they are referring to is a VERY busy area. Good place to leave a car. Public transportation there via Marta (trains/buses). Transportation to the airport.

Missing radio adviser escalated fraud before bolting: SEC - InvestmentNews

A missing financial adviser based in Atlantaraised a total of $10 million from clients and accelerated his purported fraudulent scheme in the days before disappearing near the end of September.

According to the new complaint by the SEC, Burns and his related businesses sold $10 million of promissory notes from February 2017 to this September, promised rates of interest as high as 20%, and “became even more brazen” as he increased the sale of the notes, according to the SEC.

From Sept. 15 to Sept. 23, the day before he disappeared, Burns raised $320,000 and withdrew all but $75 of that money to his personal bank accounts, according to the SEC. At the time of his disappearance, Burns understood that he was under investigation by the SEC, according to the complaint.

How long can fugitive advisor Chris Burns evade the FBI?

It’s been three months since advisor and radio show host Chris Burns, under increasing scrutiny by investigators from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), went missing from his Berkeley Lake, Georgia home.

Burns, the 38-year-old founder of Atlanta-based Dynamic Money, has not been seen since September 24. His wife, Meredith Burns, now a relief defendant in the SEC’s case against Chris Burns and his various entities, reported him missing the next day, when he was supposed to provide the agency with documents related to his businesses.

Pavlo said the FBI is looking for financial transactions that might give away Burns’ location and, in the meantime, are getting his name and information up on all the law enforcement databases -- in the US and internationally. He said the FBI is also monitoring the people closest to him and putting pressure on them to contact the authorities should they hear from Burns.

MAR 21, 2021
“Turn yourself in. It’s beyond time.” Wife of missing financial adviser wanted by FBI speaks out (wsbtv.com)
[...]

For the first time, Burns wife is speaking publicly about her husband, the search, and the scam she’s learned was their life. MB said she’s as confused and hurt as anyone.

“I have no idea who I was living with,” she told Channel 2′s Tony Thomas.

[...]

“Did you have any indication he was about to leave?” Thomas asked MB.

“I literally had family pictures scheduled for that Sunday. I mean, I had no clue,” she said.

[...]

“As of right now we are looking at a loss of $10 million dollars and dozens of victims in this case,” agent Steve Ryskoski said.

[...]

Through federal filings, police reports, and Meredith Burns own words, a picture of those final days are taking shape. The couple had a $1 million lake home, cars, a boat and large savings. MB says she knew little about their finances.

[...]

On the day before he left, MB says Chris did a lot of paperwork. He transferred assets to her and had her sign some things.

“Later on, I would find out that was divorce paperwork. But I didn’t know it that day,” she said.

Then her husband stopped by their kids’ school, and supposedly took off for North Carolina. His family received routine texts from him that night. MB realized the Carolina story was a lie the next morning.

[...]

Within hours of Chris Burns’ disappearance, MB called police but she says no one would take her seriously in those first couple of days.

So she tracked his vehicle down through GPS to a perimeter area parking garage.

“I remember driving in thinking, ‘Am I going to find a dead body?’” she said.

[...]

Ryskoski told Thomas that investigators are still actively looking for him. The FBI froze almost all of the couple’s assets. MB said she’s struggling, was conned herself and wants justice.

“He needs to be brought in for these crimes,” she said. “Turn yourself in. It’s beyond time.”

Chris Burns is wanted on mail fraud charges. The FBI will take its case national on Monday hoping for any information or tips.

Following. Thanks for the thread, @Valiant.

Ahhh, something different to follow.
Could he be out of the country? Or did the Feds block that as a possibility for him? Did he have fake I.D. and/or passport? How good a planner is he?

We may never hear from or about him again... we won't know if he got away to another country (if that was possible for him); if he's living under some under an assumed name, of if he's deceased.

I've just read this thread. Wow.
It's reminding me of the Melissa Caddick case in Sydney, Australia, which I've been following from the beginning.....an outrageous situation of fraud and manipulation.

CHRISTOPHER W. BURNS — FBI
Christopher W. Burns is wanted for his alleged involvement in a mail fraud scheme in Georgia. It is alleged that Burns defrauded a number of victims out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. As part of his scheme, Burns allegedly falsely told victims that he was investing their money in a “peer to peer” lending program in which loans were backed by collateral. In reality, the collateral promised by Burns either did not exist at all or was worth substantially less than Burns represented. He has not been seen since he left his home on September 24, 2020, one day before he was supposed to turn over documents related to his businesses to the Securities and Exchange Commission. A federal arrest warrant was issued for Burns on October 23, 2020, in the United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta, Georgia, after he was charged with mail fraud.

I hope there's a special place for people who swindle like this -- it's alleged that he even did this with some of his fellow church friends. It takes a real low-life to do what he did (as he is alleged to have done.)
Will he ever be found?
The FBI is pretty darn good, but this guy could be anywhere from Argentina to Zambia. And money talks.

Just saw this:

Chris Burns is facing mail fraud charges from an alleged scheme that defrauded dozens of clients of more than $10 million. "It’s time," Meredith Burns said in a TV interview. "He needs to be brought in for these crimes."
The wife of missing Atlanta financial adviser Chris Burns has taken to the airwaves, and in an interview with a local news broadcast implored her husband to give himself up to the authorities.
[...]
Chris Burns, 39, has been on the lam since Sept. 24. That was one day before he was supposed to turn over documents related to his businesses to the Securities and Exchange Commission, according to the FBI’s Most Wanted profile of Burns.
--------------------------------

Source:
Wife to missing Atlanta adviser: "Turn yourself in"

As it turns out, I know this man and his wife through my family. I’m very curious if there is any way to find out what Chris and Meredith’s long time church was? They would have been a prominent part of some kind of Christian community and I have my own theories as to his whereabouts. Do you know how I could go about finding that out if it’s not evident on their Facebook?
Thanks!

UPDATE: Class-action suit filed against missing adviser

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia against Christopher W. Burns, 37, of Berkeley Lake, as well as Matson Money, Inc., a company “to whom Burns referred all of his clients,” according to lawyers.

Reached by phone, a representative of Matson Money declined comment on Wednesday. But Thursday, the firm issued a statement denying involvement in any wrongdoing.

“Matson Money has never sold, offered or provided custody for promissory notes, particularly those at the heart of the allegations against Christopher Burns,” the statement said.

Matson Money, founded in 1991, has $8 billion in assets under management, according to the company’s website. The firm lists among its advisers Nobel-winning economist Harry Markowitz and supply-side economist Arthur Laffer.

Here is the suit (38 pages long):
http://www.hastingsgroupmedia.com/DossGaslowitzFrankel/1028Filing.pdf

I hope there's a special place for people who swindle like this -- it's alleged that he even did this with some of his fellow church friends. It takes a real low-life to do what he did (as he is alleged to have done.)
Will he ever be found?
The FBI is pretty darn good, but this guy could be anywhere from Argentina to Zambia. And money talks.

Last edited:
Former wife of Gwinnett County man wanted by the FBI speaks out

March 27
The former wife of a Gwinnett County man wanted by the FBI is speaking out and asking for the public's help.

Christopher Burns a financial advisor, is accused of defrauding dozens of people, totally more than $10 million dollars.

He was last seen on Sept. 24, 2020.

His former wife, Meredith Burns, tells FOX 5, she has been struggling to make sense of what happened.

She said their three children have struggled since he disappeared. When asked if she had anything she would want to say to her former husband, she said, "Your children are suffering. They suffer every single day. I just ask for their sake, turn yourself in."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahgoodnight
Back