GA - Couple sues Hospital, Dr. Tracey St. Julian, and hospital staff for gross negligence after baby decapitated during delivery, July 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've seen others mention her giving birth before, but according to an affidavit with the complaint:

On January 10, 2023, 20-year-old Ms. Jessica Ross presented to Premier Women's OB/GYN due to missing her period.

She tested positive for being pregnant and had never been pregnant before.
I believed the posts that said she had a prior child that was larger in an uneventful spontaneous vaginal delivery (SVD). That's what happens when I don't double check and I know better. I guess that's why links are necessary.

“And while she says she’s not privy to all of the details of the case, Dr. Farrington notes that Dr. St. Julian and the hospital’s staff should have been honest immediately with the family. “The whole team was complicit with the doctor in covering it up,” Dr. Farrington says. “The team that took care of [the infant and mother] is responsible, but the hospital is probably going to pay.”

Farrington also says that while a doctor may not lose their license in a malpractice case, a cover-up could potentially lead to a loss of license. “It’s one thing for a baby to die or to not be able to handle the delivery, but to cover it up was the biggest mistake,” Dr. Farrington says.”

I read up on shoulder dystocia when the influencer Kara Bosworth lost her baby due to shoulder dystocia during a home birth. The baby was large, but prenatal size estimates are notoriously inaccurate, so they didn't know how large he actually was in advance.

An important detail that hasn't been mentioned yet is the doctor has only *5 minutes* to deliver the baby once shoulder dystocia occurs, whether vaginally (through breaking the clavicle or other maneuvers) or through a (very) emergency c-section (which requires pushing the baby back into the uterus, so it's a last resort). Brain damage followed by death will begin to occur after 5 minutes.

How tragic.

“And while she says she’s not privy to all of the details of the case, Dr. Farrington notes that Dr. St. Julian and the hospital’s staff should have been honest immediately with the family. “The whole team was complicit with the doctor in covering it up,” Dr. Farrington says. “The team that took care of [the infant and mother] is responsible, but the hospital is probably going to pay.”

Farrington also says that while a doctor may not lose their license in a malpractice case, a cover-up could potentially lead to a loss of license. “It’s one thing for a baby to die or to not be able to handle the delivery, but to cover it up was the biggest mistake,” Dr. Farrington says.”

Interestingly, I think the physician in the 2012 Missouri case continued practicing after that lawsuit.

Interestingly, I think the physician in the 2012 Missouri case continued practicing after that lawsuit.

Horrible. :(

Yes Dr. Gilbert Webb is still practicing

ST. LOUIS, MO--(Marketwired - May 29, 2014) - Dr. Gilbert Webb, medical director at Midwest Maternal-Fetal Medicine at Mercy Hospital St. Louis, has been honored with the prestigious 2013 Vitals Compassionate Doctor Award. This award is presented to physicians who receive outstanding reviews from their patients on the well-known physician review site. Only three percent of the nation's roughly 870,000 physicians are honored with this award.

People tend to think that childbirth is 100% safe but complications occur that can result in the death of mother or baby.

A young paramedic in the area where I live just died from complications after delivering her 3rd child:

Devonnia Tscheulin, 34, gave birth to her third child on Monday – a healthy baby boy named Maverick – at Schneck Hospital in Seymour, Indiana. However, immediately after the birth, she was airlifted to a hospital in Indianapolis for further treatment.

She died the following evening, her husband confirmed in a public Facebook post.

Last edited:
What a horrible HORRIBLE case. I cannot imagine. But I can’t understand, and sorry if this is too blunt or disturbing, but it said the babies head was delivered vaginally while the body was delivered via c/s. So my question is, how did the parents not notice that? Was there a lot of blood? Like I’m trying to see how that’s even remotely possible that I wouldn’t notice my babies headless body being delivered. Not blaming them at all! I genuinely wondering.

And one last thing, I had shoulder dystocia with my daughter. She was my third kid. She was my biggest baby but not by much. She just had broad shoulders. After her head came out, and her body didn’t after a few pushes, a nurse was calling in for support when the doctor maneuvered my daughters in such a way while the nurse basically grabbed her body from outside of my stomach and simultaneously they both popped her out. She was fine but in the process my pelvis was dislocated. I felt a huge pop but I didn’t know it was dislocated until 24 hours later after I was already home. Im so thankful we were both ok but I knew we didn’t have much time for her to come out once her head came out. Bur she was born healthy and I’m forever grateful for that.

One last thing I just remembered from
This horror story was that the baby was stuck for 3 hours? Did I read that right? If his head was out of the birth canal for 3 hours then that would mean the baby couldn’t have been alive. Not that that makes any difference. Just trying to put the pieces together.

AMO

Doctors weigh in on decapitation of Georgia couple’s baby

"[R]isk factors like diabetes and a larger baby would typically prompt [the doctor] to offer a couple 'a primary C-section with a goal of ideally preventing a shoulder dystocia,' as per guidelines set out by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists."

"[T]he doctor, the nurses and other staff members 'should have agreed that the patient was deserving of a C-section.'”

"Ross and Taylor, 21, asked for a cesarean section 'while the baby was viable.' Instead, Ross pushed for three hours without delivering her baby, the suit says, and St. Julian tried to deliver it vaginally using different methods, one of which included applying traction to the baby’s head."

Doctors weigh in on decapitation of Georgia couple’s baby

"[R]isk factors like diabetes and a larger baby would typically prompt [the doctor] to offer a couple 'a primary C-section with a goal of ideally preventing a shoulder dystocia,' as per guidelines set out by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists."

"[T]he doctor, the nurses and other staff members 'should have agreed that the patient was deserving of a C-section.'”

"Ross and Taylor, 21, asked for a cesarean section 'while the baby was viable.' Instead, Ross pushed for three hours without delivering her baby, the suit says, and St. Julian tried to deliver it vaginally using different methods, one of which included applying traction to the baby’s head."
Another poster was talking about how hospitals in the US try to reduce their number of C-sections. It's sounding like the hospital was trying to do all they could to encourage a vaginal delivery, and realized the need for a C-section too late to save the baby.

I understand the need, after the baby is confirmed deceased, to prioritize the mother's health rather than the integrity of the baby's body. However, they should have sensitively disclosed this to the parents, rather than (according to their account which may be biased) wrapping the baby to make it seem like it was in one piece, and then rushing it to the funeral home and encouraging cremation (for no further viewings). Even if they were trying to save mum from the trauma of realizing/seeing that, it LOOKS very shady and suspicious in hindsight.
Funeral homes have a lot of tricks up their sleeve, btw. If the family wanted a viewing despite knowledge of the decapitation, they can really skillfully reconstruct the body and pose them to hide the sutures. No reason to immediately turn to cremation.

Another poster was talking about how hospitals in the US try to reduce their number of C-sections. It's sounding like the hospital was trying to do all they could to encourage a vaginal delivery, and realized the need for a C-section too late to save the baby.

It sounds like maybe this doctor had issues with performing C-Sections? Hubris?! Like she wanted to always have her patients do vaginal births? No matter what?!

It is so strange to me. I have heard that some women refuse C-section births...I don't believe that anyone asked me anything. It was like, 5 minutes after I walked into the hospital, I was in emergency surgery, it was that fast.

It sounds like maybe this doctor had issues with performing C-Sections? Hubris?! Like she wanted to always have her patients do vaginal births? No matter what?!

It is so strange to me. I have heard that some women refuse C-section births...I don't believe that anyone asked me anything. It was like, 5 minutes after I walked into the hospital, I was in emergency surgery, it was that fast.
Yeah I never asked for my first c section and never even thought I’d have one until I got to the hospital at 6cm and my sons heart rate wouldn’t fully recover. Had an emergency c section and that was that. He was born healthy! My next two I decided to try for vaginal deliveries but I was in a hospital with the thought that I may end up in a section and I was fine either way. My doctor actually encouraged me to have my next two by section since I already had one but since my first section wasn’t my body’s “fault” (like I was too small to deliver a big baby or something like that) I wanted to try and they were supportive. I never would have refused a section though. My first had the cord around his neck and body so labor put him into distress. I ended up with 2 successful vaginal births after my c section.

The fact that this doctor made her push for 3 hours while they were asking for a C-section is insane to me. My doctor had to use a vacuum on my first vaginal birth and right before she told me that she’d only let me push 3 times and if his head didn’t come out we’d go for a C-section. I was 100% ok with that. Thankfully his head popped out with one push and then his body quickly after.

This whole situation is so sad and horrible. This doctor made some horrible decisions and I’d love to know why.

MOO

IMO this lawsuit will not come down to the decapitation injury (if they can prove it was postmortem ofc which it appears to be), but rather if the physicians, despite having the medical knowledge, disregarded the need for a Cesarean leading to the baby's preventable death. The steps taken after to hide the state of the baby may aid in showing guilt on the hospital's part, though.

Yeah I never asked for my first c section and never even thought I’d have one until I got to the hospital at 6cm and my sons heart rate wouldn’t fully recover. Had an emergency c section and that was that. He was born healthy! My next two I decided to try for vaginal deliveries but I was in a hospital with the thought that I may end up in a section and I was fine either way. My doctor actually encouraged me to have my next two by section since I already had one but since my first section wasn’t my body’s “fault” (like I was too small to deliver a big baby or something like that) I wanted to try and they were supportive. I never would have refused a section though. My first had the cord around his neck and body so labor put him into distress. I ended up with 2 successful vaginal births after my c section.

The fact that this doctor made her push for 3 hours while they were asking for a C-section is insane to me. My doctor had to use a vacuum on my first vaginal birth and right before she told me that she’d only let me push 3 times and if his head didn’t come out we’d go for a C-section. I was 100% ok with that. Thankfully his head popped out with one push and then his body quickly after.

This whole situation is so sad and horrible. This doctor made some horrible decisions and I’d love to know why.

MOO
Again, we only have the plaintiff’s lawyer’s side of the story. Patients often don’t recall circumstances 100% correctly, especially when under emotional and/or physical distress.

Did she really push for 3 hours? Possibly, but again, we don’t have anything to go by besides the patient’s recollection, as repeated to her lawyer.

I would like to hear the other side of the story as recorded on the medical records but usually lawsuits are settled quietly, financially, with no details being released by either side.

One of the doctors I worked with was sued after a patient died, truly no error made with multiple physicians present to confirm the account of the incident. The patient suffered a massive cardiac event and CPR, even when performed 100% correctly by a team of physicians, can not save a patient under these particular circumstances. But the widow sued, and after many attorney discussions the hospital that owned the clinic insisted that the case be settled financially. The doctor and the attorneys were confident that had the case gone to trial the doctor would have won, but the hospital did not want the publicity. Since the hospital owned the clinic we worked in, the hospital had the final say in the matter and they settled. The doctors were all very upset because no wrongdoing had occurred and they felt it made them look guilty.

JMO

IMHO This goes beyond words! My heart aches for this family. These are the people you believe in and trust with your life and the birth of you unborn child. I am NOT a OBGYN but there seems to have been quite a lot going on during this delivery and all details and facts remain to be seen. I have had several friends who have had to delivery their stillborn baby. It is truly one of the saddest things anyone can go through. There is no happy ending for this. Very sad.

I'll offer this with the disclaimer that my specialty is not OB-Gyn. C-sections should always be a last (or close to last) resort, IMO. Has nothing to do with hubris.

I read up on shoulder dystocia when the influencer Kara Bosworth lost her baby due to shoulder dystocia during a home birth. The baby was large, but prenatal size estimates are notoriously inaccurate, so they didn't know how large he actually was in advance.

An important detail that hasn't been mentioned yet is the doctor has only *5 minutes* to deliver the baby once shoulder dystocia occurs, whether vaginally (through breaking the clavicle or other maneuvers) or through a (very) emergency c-section (which requires pushing the baby back into the uterus, so it's a last resort). Brain damage followed by death will begin to occur after 5 minutes.

How tragic.
Shoulder dystocia, as I was taught, is an obstetrics emergency. Often, the mother and baby both expire.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder
Back