GA GA - Detrez Green, 2, missing after tornado, Ashburn, 22 Jan 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
January 22, 2019

DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - Two years after an EF 3 tornado swept through Dougherty County, a toddler, reported missing in the storm, has never been found.

Family members have joined dozens and dozens of strangers who continue to ask the question: what happened to Detrez Green?

<Snip>

One of those questions is why don't investigators have a photo of Detrez to go on?

"There were some pictures according to my granddaughter, but she said her phone got lost during the storm," Detrez's great-grandfather explained.

Rainey said he remembers a day, when Detrez would have been around a year and a half, that he saw his granddaughter Adaijah, sitting in his yard, holding what he believes was the baby.

"I often wonder, was something wrong with that child, that day that she had bundled up in her arms. That was in March of 2016," he said. "I think about it all the time, because, you know, something could have been wrong that day. We just never knew. We never found out."

He said his family thinks and talks about Detrez frequently.

Though he believes it's unlikely, Rainey said it is his prayer and hope that Detrez is found.

WALB has submitted multiple open records requests to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for this case, but the agency has denied those requests, stating that the case is still active.

WALB also tried to get in touch with the toddler's parents, but we have not been able to find them.

Dougherty County Police said investigators are still looking for anyone with answers in this case to come forward.

Where is Detrez Green? Toddler still missing after deadly 2017 tornado in GA

Detrez, where are you?

January 22, 2019

DOUGHERTY CO., GA (WALB) - Two years after an EF 3 tornado swept through Dougherty County, a toddler, reported missing in the storm, has never been found.

Family members have joined dozens and dozens of strangers who continue to ask the question: what happened to Detrez Green?

<Snip>

One of those questions is why don't investigators have a photo of Detrez to go on?

"There were some pictures according to my granddaughter, but she said her phone got lost during the storm," Detrez's great-grandfather explained.

Rainey said he remembers a day, when Detrez would have been around a year and a half, that he saw his granddaughter Adaijah, sitting in his yard, holding what he believes was the baby.

"I often wonder, was something wrong with that child, that day that she had bundled up in her arms. That was in March of 2016," he said. "I think about it all the time, because, you know, something could have been wrong that day. We just never knew. We never found out."

He said his family thinks and talks about Detrez frequently.

Though he believes it's unlikely, Rainey said it is his prayer and hope that Detrez is found.

WALB has submitted multiple open records requests to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for this case, but the agency has denied those requests, stating that the case is still active.

WALB also tried to get in touch with the toddler's parents, but we have not been able to find them.

Dougherty County Police said investigators are still looking for anyone with answers in this case to come forward.

Where is Detrez Green? Toddler still missing after deadly 2017 tornado in GA

Hey guys, thanks for remembering Detrez! I also check the news regularly but I'm afraid we may never know where the little guy is. At least he got some media attention due to the two year anniversary.

"It was over a week before we left out here and decided there was no trace of him at this general location," Jackson said.

To make the case harder, the Greens didn't have a picture of Detrez, except for one when he was an infant.

"We were able to determine the child was born, given a birth certificate. Legalized documentation. But from that point on its very sketchy about the child himself," Jackson said.

"That's always gonna raise speculation to us," he added.

Something stinks to high heaven... that's all I'll say for now...

VIDEO: Where is Detrez Green? Toddler still missing after 2017 tornado
2 years later: Still no trace of 2-year-old who reportedly went missing during Albany tornado

I find it somewhat hopeful that GBI refused the requests for information from the media. Maybe they really are still investigating and there will be answers someday. I am also of the belief that this story is super sketchy on so many levels. Detrez where are you? :(

DOUGHERTY Co., Ga. (WALB) - January 22, 2021 will mark four years since an EF-3 tornado hit Dougherty County, leaving five people dead.
One person, a child, is still missing after the storm. Many people continue to wonder if there are any updates in the case of Detrez Green, 2.
His mother reported him missing from their mobile home after that tornado on January 22, 2017.

Vanished: GBI renews call for answers in disappearance of Ga. toddler

DOUGHERTY Co., Ga. (WALB) - January 22, 2021 will mark four years since an EF-3 tornado hit Dougherty County, leaving five people dead.
One person, a child, is still missing after the storm. Many people continue to wonder if there are any updates in the case of Detrez Green, 2.
His mother reported him missing from their mobile home after that tornado on January 22, 2017.

Vanished: GBI renews call for answers in disappearance of Ga. toddler
Just my opinion, I think he was gone long before the tornado.

I’m listening to TCG rn and I’d like to know how old were the other children at the time? Questioned by LE? They were taken from the home, correct? If these children were old enough they had to be able to say if if they’d seen their brother recently. Did the parents have any friends? Anybody at all that can validate whether or not the child had even lived in the trailer home? WTH?

ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - Saturday, January 22, 2022 marks five years since a deadly EF-3 tornado hit Dougherty County.

The parents of Detrez Green, who was 2-years-old at the time, reported him missing that night.

“We don’t want to say we’re looking for a person in the past tense,” Jones said. “We’re still actively looking for him.”

Green’s parents told police they couldn’t find him after the EF-3 tornado hit their mobile home park on Sunday, January 22, 2017.

“Any child investigation is difficult, but this one is magnified because we have so little info to go on,” Jones said. “Here, we don’t have anything. We just have a report that the child is missing, and that is it.”

“Who do we put out there to say, ‘have you seen this child?’ That is the one thing in this case that is the most frustrating,” Jones said. “This day in age, it could start here in the southwest Georgia area, and it could hit the West Coast in minutes if we had something to put out there.”

“We can’t use the technology that has age progression to say this is what the child would look like,” Jones said.

“A lot of this investigation, we’ve had to painstakingly piece together through interviews, trying to find relatives, wherever we could get cooperation,” Jones said. “A lot of the agents here, including myself, have children. As our children get older, and we take a look at this case, it’s like he’s stopped in time.”

“For us, yes, he’s 7 now, but he will always be this age (2) until we have some sort of conclusion to what happened to him,” Jones said. “We believe there are answers out there.”

The GBI is once again pleading with whoever that person is to do the right thing and come forward, even if they want to do so anonymously.

“We go with what we have, but we also know there is someone out there who truly knows what happened to him,” Jones said. “We just hope that they feel compelled, that their heart is touched, hopefully by seeing this that, ‘enough time has passed. Let me say something.’”

Jones would not tell WALB the last time agents talked to Detrez’s parents, because he did not want to reveal too much about their investigation.

He did say they are keeping in touch with multiple people involved.

If you know anything about what happened to Detrez, call the Dougherty County Police Department at (229) 430-6600, the GBI’s Regional Office in Sylvester at (229) 777-2080 or Albany Area Crime Stoppers at (229) 436-TIPS. You can stay anonymous.
‘We want the truth’: Still no answers in case of Dougherty Co. toddler reported missing after 2017 tornado

WHERE IS DETREZ GREEN? I posted this several years ago, but to this day, little Detrez is still missing. Saturday marks five years since this tornado hit and since his disappearance was reported.
On January 22, 2017, the parents of Detrez Green, 2, reported him missing after a EF-3 tore through their mobile home park off Sylvester Road in Dougherty County.
The child's parents, Kevian Green and Adaijah Rainey, told first responders 2-year-old Detrez was last seen as an oak tree fell on their mobile home that day.
After an extensive 5-day search, including draining a pond near the family's home, emergency officials called off their search for the little boy. It was a search that captivated much of this part of Georgia. A boy, vanishing without a trace. "In a search situation usually we find some clothing, we find some human articles we can tie to the victim," Lan Skalla, a member of the Albany Search and Rescue team told us one year ago. "In this case, we didn't find anything," he said. https://bit.ly/2U6oXtU
9 days after the tornado hit, the GBI and Ashburn Police Department told us they did an investigation at the former home of Detrez's parents, on Pineknot Road in Ashburn. We were never informed of the results of that investigation.
To date, no picture has ever been released of little Detrez. Family members have not provided one to us, and investigators told us they had no picture to go on either. The GBI tells us this case is still an open investigation. So, 5 years later, WHERE is Detrez?

Last edited:
JAN 23, 2022
Toddler remains missing 5 years after Georgia tornado | AP News
[...]

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says it is still looking for Green, who would be 7 today, and still occasionally receives tips, WALB-TV reported.

“We don’t want to say we’re looking for a person in the past tense,” GBI agent Marko Jones said. “We’re still actively looking for him.”

Green’s parents, Kevian Green and Adaijah Rainey, told emergency workers they couldn’t find him after a tornado with winds of 150 mph (240 kilometers per hour) hit their mobile home. They said they last saw Detrez Green as a tree fell on their home.

[...]

More than 200 people helped search for Detrez Green in the days following the storm, including using dogs, searching from the air and draining a nearby pond. Searchers found nothing, not even the boy’s clothes.

GBI agents and police later searched the parents’ former home in Ashburn.

[...]

Sometimes I think of little Detrez. I thought the tornado was in February and I’d have a little more time before the anniversary of him being reported missing. It’s hard for me to believe there are no pictures of a two year old available. This is one case that will probably not get solved. I’m not usually quite so pessimistic.

Sometimes I think of little Detrez. I thought the tornado was in February and I’d have a little more time before the anniversary of him being reported missing. It’s hard for me to believe there are no pictures of a two year old available. This is one case that will probably not get solved. I’m not usually quite so pessimistic.
As I said earlier, I think he was gone long before the tornado. Sadly. Moo

This is so mysteriously sad.

My understanding is the Grandparent/Grandparents lived nearby at some point and never interacted with their Grandchild?

Now, it seems the parents are not able to be located?

*Edited to add-
I am going to try and read all, again and anything I may have missed.
Do I remember correctly that there were other children in the home or in the home at the time of the tornado.
I assume they have been questioned as much as they are able, depending on their age.

**ETA I wonder why there has not been a sketch done of Detrez when he first went missing since they can't provide a photo?

Last edited:
Willie said he believes law enforcement dropped the ball in his great-grandson’s case considering a clear pattern of domestic incidents between Detrez’s parents. Back in 2020, WALB uncovered that pattern from Ashburn Police and Turner County Sherriff’s records that show Detrez’s dad, Kevian Green’s history with law enforcement. WALB even found one incident that happened in 2014 where the couple was involved in a stand-off with Ashburn Police ending in the Department of Family and Children Services (DFACS) placing a protective order over Adaijah and her kids. The family says along with Detrez she had two other kids.

“So if all these things are present, some action should have been taken against him,” Willie said.

Marko Jones, the supervising GBI agent over the case, said the cold case is still active and that they have looked at the couple’s domestic history as part of their investigation into the disappearance of Detrez.

“All of those issues were looked into. We would like to resolve this case but in order for us to get to a resolution, we at least have to have a starting line,” he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw
Back