GA - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 10 counts in 2020 election interference, violation of RICO Act, 14 Aug 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think prosecutors in bygone years would have loved to have the durable evidence available today…tweets, texts and recorded phone conversations are proof positive of what a suspect has communicated to others.
I like to think I'm fair minded even though I will happily admit I hate Trump with the heat of a thousand suns. I desperately want him held accountable for his criming so I don't know how objective I actually am but I've also been an avid court watcher for decades and simply can't stress how incredibly solid these cases are. Trump et al left so many breadcrumbs that his 'supporters' can only minimize and ignore the incredible amount of evidence obtained. I mean....how many felonies are literally caught on audio for heaven's sake?!?

And to try a former president? You gotta think on the balance of reason and logic that the prosecutors involved across the cases believe they have the goods because IF they don't - their careers will likely effectively be kaput.

I'm not sure how much intimidating he was doing. I read somewhere that he is a disabled Veteran (Marines) who lives with his wife and child while on VA disability.

I have also read that he ran for Congress in Georgia as a Republican. Maybe the Judge that denied the bail is a Democrat? smh

JMO
I can't help but be a bit surprised so much understanding is being afforded Mr. Floyd on this forum which is generally pretty pro-LE even when it often shouldn't be imo. He assaulted an FBI agent who was just attempting to do his job - I don't see how his military career, disability or fatherhood status absolve him of that. 'Good' people do bad things and they too need to be held accountable when they break the law.

(And because he was being openly hostile and belligerent to LE - because he appears to be young and fit at least based on photos - who is to say the FBI agent wasn't in fear of a weapon being pulled or being actually harmed in the line of duty? Do the FBI agent's kids matter here too?) I think it's incredibly presumptuous to assume he wasn't intimidating when he wasn't complying. I believe that alone was cause for concern for the agents.

But I want to address the latter part of your comment most - I think it's myopic to assume a judge can't or won't be impartial and uphold the oaths they took upon assuming their office. Political leanings aren't meant to enter into the equation because their job is to follow the letter of the law without fear or fervor. And the vast majority do just that. Or is it only democrats who are biased?

I think it shows a fundamental, likely deliberate misunderstanding of the legal system (not directed at you, mybelle, but rather the media and political operatives that propagate such a notion). How many Trump appointed judges have ruled against Trump et al? A lot. Because they impartially applied the law without fear or fervor.

JMO

I'm not sure how much intimidating he was doing. I read somewhere that he is a disabled Veteran (Marines) who lives with his wife and child while on VA disability.

I have also read that he ran for Congress in Georgia as a Republican. Maybe the Judge that denied the bail is a Democrat? smh

JMO
Good people, do not allow ourselves to be distracted by obfuscation. Complete non-sequitur arguments, and 'Flooding the zone' with white noise is their tactic - just like Bannon told us. Keep to the facts - to the evidence - for that is the only thing that counts in this case, as in all criminal cases. We see through innuendo, victim blaming, and title tattle that has zero basis in truth. Again, we only deal in facts and in evidence. So let's keep our heads high, and remain undistracted.

JMO

Last edited:
Monday, August 28th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 10am ET) – GA - State of Georgia vs. Mark Randall Meadows (64) (Trump lawyer) indicted & charged (8/14/23) with 1 count of violation of the Georgia RICO Act (1) & 1 count of solicitation of violation of oath by public officer (28). (total 2 counts). Surety Bond at $100K. Surrendered 8/24/23.
For more info see post #338 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tion-of-rico-act-14-aug-2023-2.688728/page-17

8/24/23 Update: Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is seeking to move the Fulton County, Georgia, prosecution against him to federal court so that he can try to get the case dismissed under federal law. On Wednesday, a federal judge scheduled an 8/28/23 hearing for Meadows & others to present evidence about whether to move the case. The judge noted the state court case can proceed at this time. In the filing, Judge Jones said the notice of removal & the attached indictment “do not clearly indicate that summary remand of this matter is required,” meaning there is no need for a higher court to send the case back to a lower court for further action. Judge Jones also ordered Meadows to give Fulton County DA Fani Willis a copy of the notice of removal & the order for the hearing. Once Willis receives the documents, she is allowed to submit a written response by Aug. 23.
8/24/23 Update: Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows surrendered to authorities at the Fulton County, Ga., jail Thursday afternoon, according to jail records. Meadows agreed to a $100,000 bond earlier Thursday — the same amount as several Trump lawyers charged in the case. He paid the bond via a surety bond, or a loan to post bail.
8/25/23 Update: Mark Meadows is seeking to move the Fulton County, Georgia, prosecution against him to federal court so that he can try to get the case dismissed under federal law. On Wednesday, a federal judge scheduled an 8/28/23 hearing for Meadows & others to present evidence about whether to move the case. A federal judge will weigh Meadows’ arguments about moving the case. Fulton County DA Fani Willis opposes the move & issued subpoenas to key players who were on the infamous call, to potentially testify at the hearing.
8/24/23 Update: Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows’s request to move his case to federal court will be the subject of an evidentiary hearing Monday. It’s possible that Meadows might need to testify for his request to succeed, and we learned Thursday that Fulton County District Attorney Fani T. Willis has subpoenaed two central witnesses to participate: Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R) and his chief investigator, Frances Watson. (Politico’s Kyle Cheney said this makes Monday’s hearing something of a “mini trial.”) Also Thursday, a judge set an Oct. 23 trial date for one defendant, Kenneth Chesebro. Chesebro has requested a speedy trial, which he is entitled to under Georgia law. Former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell has also requested a speedy trial, though her trial date hasn’t been set. While their prosecutions might be separated from the defendants who prefer to delay their proceedings (including Trump), an early trial for one or more defendants could get at central facets of the alleged conspiracy.
8/26/23 Update: Shawn Still, one of the Georgia fake electors, is trying to move the case to federal court.

Meadows is arguing that the charges against him in Georgia should be dismissed under a federal immunity claim extended, in certain contexts, to individuals who are prosecuted or sued for alleged conduct that was done on behalf of the US government or was tied to their federal position.

While he may still face an uphill battle to move his case, Meadows is “uniquely situated” in Willis’ case, said Steve Vladeck, a CNN analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.

“Folks should be wary of this being a bellwether,” Vladeck said, describing the dispute instead as an “opening salvo in what is going to be a long and complicated series of procedural fights.”
The Fulton County charges against Donald Trump face a major test Monday. Here’s what to watch for

In Georgia, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis will sketch the first substantive evidentiary arguments in any of the cases facing Trump in a hearing on ex-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows’ bid to get his state case moved to federal court.

At the same time in Washington, Judge Tanya Chutkan will hold a status hearing to consider dueling arguments by special counsel Jack Smith and Trump’s defense team over the date for a trial in the federal investigation into Trump’s alleged attempt to prevent now-President Joe Biden from taking office.

Smith wants the trial to begin January 2 – two weeks before Trump’s first big test in the 2024 primary race in the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses. The ex-president’s team has asked for much more time, and is proposing a date of April 2026. Trump is not expected to be at the hearing.

Last edited:
Trump lawyer Alina Habba gave an interview to Fox News Sunday in which she said "He also knows the facts because he lived them. These are not complicated facts. Look at Fani. There was a phone call. A phone call that has been around forever. A phone call that he refers to as the perfect phone call. What is he going to have to be prepped for? For the truth? You don't have to prep much when you've done nothing wrong. So that I'm not concerned with."

Quality legal representation there that has a very degree of likelihood of finding its way into a filing or two if it isn't mentioned openly in court today.

Which is why I keep arguing that they're pursuing a political strategy and not a legal one (apart from tainting prospective jury pools). And I am absolutely no expert at linguistics or body language but it rose my eyebrows that she said he refers to as the pefect phone call (very lawyerly to distance herself - she doesn't think it's perfect - he refers to it as instead of believing) and when she said that, she was fighting either laughing or smiling.

JMO

Last edited:
I don't believe so as it's federal court. Anna Bower is worth following though as she'll be in the courtroom.

Thanks: I forgot there are no cameras in Federal court: they need to change that for this case. What about the Georgia case today, the Meadows hearing? I would think that would be televised and/or streamed

Correct. Just pointing this out.
Let us not forget that the courts held up this democracy when 60 judges, many appointed by Trump threw the alleged fraudulent election cases out of court due to : LACK OF EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE ALLEGATIONS--Any normal person, Any normal president would have stopped at that point--- but he didn't, which is why we are here, at this point, today.

A couple of media folks in the courtrooms...

DC J6 Status Conference: Adam Klasfeld
Allison Gill (MuellerSheWrote)
Kyle Cheney

GA Meadows Removal Case: Anna Bower
Katie Phang
------------------
No cameras in court. No electronic devices in court. And likely no orders from the bench so buckle up because it's going to be a frustrating waiting game.

ETA: Meadows also added another lawyer - Robert Bittman who is best known as a hard charging lawyer in Starr's investigation of former President Clinton - signaling this is probably headed for the Supreme Court eventually should he lose today's hearing and subsequent appeal. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member