GA GA - Joshua Randall Harmon, 8, Struck on Head and Strangled. Roswell. May 1988

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why would they need to exhume remains if they had the evidence saved? I'm not clear on that.

I'm not clear on that, either, and was sort of what I was trying to ask above. However, I may have satisfied my own mind with some research on DNA. From the article below, DNA testing came about in 1985. Given the probable expense back then, maybe victims' DNA was not routinely taken, especially if there was no suspect.

In today's age, it's really hard to comprehend not collecting DNA, but I suppose it was possible 30+ years ago. I also am of the opinion that a foreign DNA on a body would not survive for 30+ years, but will leave that for those with far more scientific knowledge.

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

BBM

Since the advent of DNA testing in 1985, biological material (skin, hair, blood and other bodily fluids) has emerged as the most reliable physical evidence at a crime scene, particularly those involving sexual assaults. DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, contains the complex genetic blueprint that distinguishes each person. Forensic testing can determine if distinctive patterns in the genetic material found at a crime scene matches the DNA in a potential perpetrator with better than 99% accuracy. In 1987, Florida rapist Tommie Lee Andrews became the first person in the U.S. to be convicted as a result of DNA evidence; he was sentenced to 22 years behind bars.

The other thought I had is if some sort of new evidence was found that they didn't have in 1988. Sadly, some perps like to keep souvenirs, such as articles of clothing. If something like that was recently found, they would need Joshua's DNA to compare.

All of this except the article information is speculation. Apologies for the long post.

Georgia Sex Offender Charged in Murder of 8-Year-Old Boy in Decades-Old Cold Case
Coates-Booking-Joshua-Harmon.jpg

''Officials in Roswell, Georgia, have charged a convicted child molester with the 1988 murder of an 8-year-old boy, possibly bringing an end to a decades-old cold case, as well as some closure to the boy’s family.

James Michael Coates, 56, of Woodstock, was taken into custody without incident during a traffic stop on Wednesday, according to police, and has since been charged with the murder of Joshua Harmon.

Joshua’s parents reported him missing on May 15, 1988, after he didn’t return home for dinner. After an extensive 48-hour search, Joshua’s body was found in a wooded area near the apartment where he lived. Despite efforts to find a suspect, the case went cold.

However, investigators regularly revisited the case over the years, re-examining evidence as technology developed, Roswell police say in the press release. With the permission of Joshua’s family, the boy’s body was exhumed, and DNA evidence was found linking Coates to the crime.''

There may be more
If you're referring to more victims, I suspect that there is. Hopefully, others who were youngsters living in the vicinity at that time will come forward with old memories. Even if they weren’t abused, and I sincerely hope they weren’t, perhaps they saw something. Maybe they didn’t recognize it for what it was at the time. Maybe this creep approached them too.

The case remains under investigation, and part of that investigation will involve ensuring Coates did not victimize any other children, Conroy said. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact Roswell police.

Joshua Harmon murder: Georgia police arrest James Michael Coates in 1988 cold case - CNN

I found the reddit posts by Josh's mother (wish could post the link) but I found it by what another poster recommended by search feature. It is devastating that she passed away Oct 2020 and at least on earth didn't get the closure she deserved. There is another reddit where friends and family comment on the case. I am glad they finally get the justice they deserve.
I wish pedos had stricter punishments, the killer walked free for the last several years potentially harming others. We need an overhaul with the 'justice' system.

Here is a nice site Josh's mother made in his honor:
https://www.virtual-memorials.com/main.php?action=view&mem_id=10709&page_no=1

If you're referring to more victims, I suspect that there is. Hopefully, others who were youngsters living in the vicinity at that time will come forward with old memories. Even if they weren’t abused, and I sincerely hope they weren’t, perhaps they saw something. Maybe they didn’t recognize it for what it was at the time. Maybe this creep approached them too.

The case remains under investigation, and part of that investigation will involve ensuring Coates did not victimize any other children, Conroy said. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact Roswell police.

Joshua Harmon murder: Georgia police arrest James Michael Coates in 1988 cold case - CNN

Sexual child murderers have a tendency to become serial offenders at a much higher rate than any other violent type of criminal

It looks like the crimes that he was imprisoned for occurred in 1990 and his conviction was in 1993. Not sure how soon after the commission of the 1990 crimes he was apprehended nor if he was out at any point on bail. This would put him at 25-27 when he was jailed long term. I would bet that he did not go right into murder the first time around. I wonder what the details of the 1990 crime are? Perhaps he had already evolved into the serial offender and in 1990 something happened to stop him before his victim suffered the same fate as Joshua.

Has anyone been able to find a picture of Coates when he was younger? Maybe high school or when he was arrested the first time. It may trigger someone's memories from back then.

The oldest pics I have come across are in the GA SO Registry from 2016 - probably not a lot of help. We also have to remember he was incarcerated for many years.

Georgia Sex Offender Registry

After a jury trial, James Michael Coates was convicted of child molestation, false imprisonment, and enticing a child for indecent purposes. He appeals (1996) from the convictions entered on the jury's verdict and the denial of his motion for new trial.

Coates v. State

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northsearch
Back