GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ AtlantaBourne. Exactly, Stabbing, 2 victims, not too far from Piedmont Park. Killer hung around awhile (90 minutes total; although we don’t know what time the deaths occurred). Perp had to be in decent shape to run down that hallway with the safe as shown in the video, throw it over the fence and then jump the fence. From comments on NextDoor, apparently some people recognized the perp in the video and have called in tips to the hotline. Can’t get this one off the streets soon enough…too close for comfort.

@ AtlantaBourne…. Are these apartments on Parkway Place? I read Jackson Street but I’m not familiar with the streets right there. But as you mentioned, not unusual for the same street to change names several times at different locations.
They are located at John Wesley Dobbs & Parkway Pl. The roadway for the apts appears to be Jackson St.

I am wondering 3 things:
1. Why hasn't LE released the victims' names?
2. Who is the POI texting?
3. Who's apt did the POI try to open b4 going to the victims'apt?
Can anyone tell if the POI was wearing gloves when he tried to open that door? I can't tell.

I am wondering 3 things:
1. Why hasn't LE released the victims' names?
2. Who is the POI texting?
3. Who's apt did the POI try to open b4 going to the victims'apt?
Can anyone tell if the POI was wearing gloves when he tried to open that door? I can't tell.

Victims names have since been released, AJC article below answers some of your questions.

Other questions:
Yes, AtlantaBourne…. Whose apartment did he go to first? Who buzzed him into the building? If he was texting the victims seems like phone records would identify a POI. Could someone else who lives in the building also be involved in this…. a set up? Apparently concerned friends went to check on the couple when they weren’t answering calls. That seems a little odd to me given there was only a window of about 4 hrs from the time the suspect entered the apartment until they were found dead by a friend and police arrived. They were found before 11pm.

APD detective identifies the suspect as male…. interesting that many who commented on the NextDoor post are adamant the suspect appears to be a female by gait, build ponytail tucked up into the hat, etc. I don’t have a strong opinion but looks to be a male based on initial parking deck pics. Also, detective didn’t point this out, but suspect appears to have a backpack on with some type of reflective lettering or design on the back (visible in outside pics before jumping over the wall) and in the close up where he’s carrying the safe before exiting the building, a silver or gray strap that looks like a backpack strap is visible.

WATCH: Atlanta police release video of suspect in deadly double stabbing

Last edited:
I haven't posted much for a while but after finding out the autopsy report was available I had to read it. It was a blistering attack on Katherine. Such a flurry of violence you think it has to be personal, but I don't know whether that could be the only reason for such a vicious attack.

First of all, I wondered about the historical scars on Katie's body. So many strange ones clustered together. I had a friend years ago who got into an accident on a motorbike. He got sideswiped by a car, lost control and ended sliding on the pavement on his right side and ended up under a parked car. He was wearing a full leather outfit, both pants and jacket. His clothes underneath were shredded and he had multiple abrasions on his shoulders and arms as well as a dislocated shoulder. The doctor said his body would have looked like hamburger if he'd been wearing street clothes. Katie's scars sounded like my friend's.

And about all those wounds on her back. Oh my god, what she endured is mind numbing. Most were shallow and probably would have been survivable. It's possible the killer carried more than one knife and the injuries on her back may have been from a push knife. I've provided an image below. They're small, easily hidden and can be carried in fist with the blade protruding to the front. The blades can be anywhere from 1.5 inches to even 5 inches. Some of them are serrated on one side which could account for some of the lacerations having jagged edges on one side. A lot of LE and military people have them but so do people who just like knives. They can be worn around the neck in a sheath and look like an amulet of some kind.

I keep envisioning someone coming up to her from the front in a friendly manner and causing injury to the dog before Katie even understands what's going on. And then maybe grabbing Katie in a bear hug and repeatedly stabbing her in the back. If the perp was right handed most of the stab wounds would be on her left side and arcing downward toward the middle back. Vice versa if someone was left handed. She may have fallen backward and that's how all the defensive wounds on her hands and forearms got there. Once she was on the ground that's when the mortal wounds were inflicted. As well as the mutilation.

FAT. All upper case. Makes me think of an acronym. So I looked some up. Of course there are many. But two stood out. The first one is First Atlanta Tower which is now called the State of Georgia building at 2 Peachtree St. I can't think of anything other than it's in Atlanta and it's headquarters for Wachovia Bank.

The second one is a biblical reference: Faithful, Available, Teachable. Basically, God is always looking for someone to do God's work, to stand in the gap and help save lost souls from a lost and hopeless eternity. That's paraphrasing some content in one of the links.

Here's a couple of links that refer to the three terms.

Faithful, Available, Teachable

God Uses F-A-T People

Although the level of violence suggests a personal aspect it's just as possible there is someone out there with a vendetta against the LGBTQ family.

Here's the image of a push knife. Some cost upward of $150.00. This one is ten bucks.

ETA: I forgot to add this image of an outfit that you can buy on Amazon. It's cheap and easy to dispose of as well as disguising any blood.

https://www.amazon.com/AMZ-Protecti...ocphy=9012127&hvtargid=pla-954156310252&psc=1

Attachments

• schrade mini push knife.jpg
    schrade mini push knife.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
And about all those wounds on her back. Oh my god, what she endured is mind numbing. Most were shallow and probably would have been survivable. It's possible the killer carried more than one knife and the injuries on her back may have been from a push knife. I've provided an image below. They're small, easily hidden and can be carried in fist with the blade protruding to the front. The blades can be anywhere from 1.5 inches to even 5 inches. Some of them are serrated on one side which could account for some of the lacerations having jagged edges on one side. A lot of LE and military people have them but so do people who just like knives. They can be worn around the neck in a sheath and look like an amulet of some kind.

Here's the image of a push knife. Some cost upward of $150.00. This one is ten bucks.

ETA: I forgot to add this image of an outfit that you can buy on Amazon. It's cheap and easy to dispose of as well as disguising any blood.

https://www.amazon.com/AMZ-Protecti...ocphy=9012127&hvtargid=pla-954156310252&psc=1

I carry one of those whenever I’m out of the house, around my neck and under my shirt as protection. I bought it after joining websleuths and seeing the surprise attacks in hopes of at least taking a bite out of my attacker if I was ever jumped.
Mine is very sharp but not sure how it would hold up to repeated blows. My instructor advised me to aim for soft spots with it until I can get distance and to grab it with my off hand to make that hand more dangerous than my stronger hand. We also bought one for my stepdaughter because she could carry it on campus and at work.

I’m trying to imagine attacking someone with it, being an aggressor instead of up-close defensive. It’s meant to be held in fist with blade protruding between fingers so when you punch, you add a bite to it or push your fists against someone it pushes in. You could get a couple of jabs I would think but as that person was moving away blows would be harder to land until you had them on the ground. Mine is a short one so maybe that’s why. I call them neck knives because they are small enough to wear around a chain on your neck and they come in many different styles.
Interestingly the guy who helped me pick mine out and they showed me how to use it chose it because I’m inexperienced knife handler. By having it in my fist like that it makes it less likely to slip out of my hand or me to lose control of it due to my lack of strength. He carries a Karambit I think around his neck. Again we carry it to help create space between us and an attacker.
IMOO..

A Bowie knife is a hunters knife with a guard so you dont injure your hand in the attack. It is made for putting animals down after shooting. I wish LE would release type of weapon used, video footage, POI, or other tidbits. The silence is deafening. Is it possible they truly do not have a clue who did this?
a perfect murder in a public park in huge metropolitan city? Zero DNA? No fingerprints? Cmon that is impossible

A Bowie knife is a hunters knife with a guard so you dont injure your hand in the attack. It is made for putting animals down after shooting. I wish LE would release type of weapon used, video footage, POI, or other tidbits. The silence is deafening. Is it possible they truly do not have a clue who did this?
a perfect murder in a public park in huge metropolitan city? Zero DNA? No fingerprints? Cmon that is impossible
I am sort of the mindset that there is a 50% chance the police have no suspect yet. They may have DNA (there was insinuation Bowie had bit the attacked so there very well may be blood etc) but maybe there is match for that dna in a database. It does seem that there should be more video/photo of the area. The days after the attack the police seemed very interested in the lake. I wonder if there was specific reason for that and if they found anything.

Not an update, but this was something new to me. While reviewing, what I believe was, the 1st TV report of the murder, I noticed what appears to be a red bicycle at or near the crime scene. It's seen about 0.49-0.54 seconds into this video/report.Woman found stabbed to death in 'gruesome' Piedmont Park scene | 11alive.com
I took a screenshot of it but must apologize in advance of poor quality.View attachment 312563

EC rode her bike to find KJ. EC's father was on the scene to console his daughter during the investigation and told a reporter he would come back to pick up her bike. I am assuming the bike is EC's.

Wow! Today's discussion has been very insightful. Definitely getting a push knife necklace to wear when I go for walks now that I'm aware they exist. I've been really agoraphobic and down right scared of going on walks around my neighborhood/park area. I hope they figure this out soon :'[

Does anyone know if KJ and Bowie stopped by Campagnola (where she bartended) that night? It's in the immediate vicinity. If so, did she go to Henry's Tavern to see EC first or did she stop by Campagnola first?

Based on the cam footage at the rainbow crosswalk, her and Bowie, if walking to Piedmont Park were headed towards a different entrance- maybe 11th street or 12th street. Based on how the direction they were crossing the street makes me think they may have gone thru the park for their walk and were exiting from Charles Allen to walk back home when something happened.

Do we know if the time stamps were accurate on the street cam footage?

I know I'm super late seeing this, but YES. That's exactly what I thought as well. Based on the crosswalk photo, she would have likely used the other entrance.

While I understand that Atlanta crime is very high, therefore a lot of crime for reporters to cover, I can't remember the last time this case was asked about or reported on specifically (I know someone will find a link giving the exact date). LE agencies have Public Information Officers.. Media, use those contacts!

My Questions -- Feel free to add your own, maybe we can forward these to a reporter.

How many personnel are still actively working the case and from which (or how many) agencies?
Did all of the witnesses from surveillance video come forward? If not, please renew the call for them to come forward.
Appx how many people have you spoken to in the investigation? How many tips have been called in and are ANY still being called in?
Are you still waiting for results of any physical evidence? Still going through digital evidence?
Can you give any more insight into whether Katie (and Bowie) was targeted for any reason or no reason to suggest that still?
Do you have any reason to believe this killer is still local or has moved on?
What is it going to take to solve this case? Time? More/different resources? A confession? Another crime being committed? A tip from the public?

All of these questions have been asked. It's radio silence. The question about the people in the surveillance video was asked the same week LE said they spoke to the jogger. LE asked media to stop showing the jogger video because he had come forward. The question about whether LE was in contact with the other witnesses was ignored.

As for the other questions-- here's the response, "We have nothing new to release at this time."

I don't know if this means they don't have any leads... or if they just don't want to risk compromising the investigation. I can assure you, no one in the media has forgotten this case.

Wow! Today's discussion has been very insightful. Definitely getting a push knife necklace to wear when I go for walks now that I'm aware they exist. I've been really agoraphobic and down right scared of going on walks around my neighborhood/park area. I hope they figure this out soon :'[
Make sure you get the breakaway chain. Mine is Ike a dog tag chain and it came with it. That way it can’t be used to strangle you. I have CHL and have been carrying daily for long time but there are places I can’t carry or reading on here, figured out if someone jumped me, I need to create space to be able to draw, hence the neck knife. It’s my absolute last resort, SHTF protection but I feel naked with out it now.
(It’s also be handy to cut vines out of the way to rescue puppies, 3 puppies have new homes via a rescue cause I was able to dive in after them cutting my way through)

Hi all. New here. I just realized an interesting coincidence while listening to a podcast about Jack the Ripper. So one of the suspected killers was named Charles Allen Lechmere. He also went by Charles Allen Cross. Anyway, Katie’s body was found by the Charles Allen gate entrance of that park. I have no idea who Charles Allen was that the gate was named after, but it just stuck out to me an eerie coincidence, especially given the violent manner in which Katie was murdered.

Welcome @ChickenFoot! That is an interesting coincidence. Fortunately, the Atlanta Charles Allen was a minister! :)

Born in Newborn, Ga., raised in a succession of Methodist parsonages with six brothers and sisters, Allen came to Houston in 1960 from Grace United Methodist Church in Atlanta. During his 12 years there, Grace Methodist became the largest Methodist congregation in the state. The church is located in Atlanta at the intersection of Ponce de Leon Avenue and Charles Allen Drive, which is named for the church's former pastor.

At First Methodist, the Rev. Charles L. Allen delivered a simple 'message of love'

Welcome @ChickenFoot! That is an interesting coincidence. Fortunately, the Atlanta Charles Allen was a minister! :)

Born in Newborn, Ga., raised in a succession of Methodist parsonages with six brothers and sisters, Allen came to Houston in 1960 from Grace United Methodist Church in Atlanta. During his 12 years there, Grace Methodist became the largest Methodist congregation in the state. The church is located in Atlanta at the intersection of Ponce de Leon Avenue and Charles Allen Drive, which is named for the church's former pastor.

At First Methodist, the Rev. Charles L. Allen delivered a simple 'message of love'
Regardless of the origin of the street name, I feel like the discovery of that coincidence could be incredibly thought-provoking. As to what, I'm not sure heh, but for the right person it could bring up some helpful "strategies" so to speak for finding the killer. JMO.

Hi all. New here. I just realized an interesting coincidence while listening to a podcast about Jack the Ripper. So one of the suspected killers was named Charles Allen Lechmere. He also went by Charles Allen Cross. Anyway, Katie’s body was found by the Charles Allen gate entrance of that park. I have no idea who Charles Allen was that the gate was named after, but it just stuck out to me an eerie coincidence, especially given the violent manner in which Katie was murdered.
Great find! This is more than coincidence IMO. The injuries to Katie Janness replicate both the Mary Nichols and Annie Chapman. Mary Nichols was last seen approx one hour before her body was discovered. Both women had TWO cuts to the throat, abdomen cut open. The only thing missing is obvious trauma and stabbing to genital area. According to Wikipedia "deep slash wounds to the throat...progressive facial mutilations distinctive features of the Rippers MO."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal