GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely agree with you and you explained better than I could have!
I was a chef for 12 years.
It is the only profession I can think of where one carries their own knives. And if you were attracted to knives it might be a profession you were drawn to.
Another profession that uses knives is a professional butcher that works in a slaughter house or meat processing plant. The cutlery used is much stronger & sharper than you would find in a restaurant. There is also items worn such as full length aprons, shoe covers & gloves that are made of materials that keep blood off clothes & keep the butcher from being cut. A professional butcher would have experience to be quick, methodical & quiet.
The types of injuries reported in the FCME report to KJ's neck, chest & abdomen are the same as described by evisceration in a slaughter house. Also used by a pro butcher is a stun gun.
IMOO

Someone brought up the time stamp being one hour off stating she was actually on camera at the rainbow crosswalk at 11:09pm
that lends to my confusion as to why she would be lingering in that area for over an hour and closer fitting to the story of her partner.. This may be a good hunch. That loosens up timeline and seems more realistic to me. I cannot imagine that she was lying in that spot with Bowie feet away @12:46 when jogger went in park. Something is amiss here. She had to have been murdered closer to 1am or placed there IMO I would pay good money for one question for that jogger seen on camera. "Dude, what did you see?"

With in days of the attack, there were some message boards that say the works "FAT" or PHAT were carved in her. I'd like to know who knew that then. But I am perplexed. Part of the autopsy leads me to believe the letters were upside down? Is that incorrect? But I do agree that we should consider that the letters may be initials for something else.
I find it hard to believe she could have been killed too far away and transported here. She was not a petite woman, and the dog is also found in the immediate area. The video, or lack thereof, should speak volumes.
I find your theory on the time stamp on the rainbow crossing interesting. The photo I have seen with the time stamp looks odd. Almost superimposed. But without seeing an original it is impossible to tell. The police have still put this out as her crossing at 12:09. So if it was in incorrect timestamp, I think they would have known and corrected by now. But I do think it it is interesting.
I've seen FAT meaning "faithful and true." If this was personal and jealousy related, perhaps that's something. IDK. I also remember the word "SL*T" written upside down on the metal box the K-9 hit on near the entrance.

The autopsy notes the location and appearance of various scars the coroner observed on KJ’s torso and upper extremities. I think they are described in detail just to differentiate healed injuries from those that were obtained during the attack. Although, that’s just my opinion.

The way the scars are listed out and numbered kinda made it seem like she had way more scars than the average person might… but then I thought about all the various scars that I have and realized that’s totally normal.

From the autopsy (not graphic / only providing information about scars present on her body before the attack) —

Scars on the torso and left upper extremity are 3/16” to 3-1/2” in length:

1. Torso:
- Linear scars on the medial and lateral surfaces of the left side of the chest.
- A horizontal scar on the left side of the chest lateral to the distal clavicle.
- A vertical linear scar on the left side of the back.
- A group of overlapping linear scars on the top of the left shoulder.
- A linear scar extending into the tattoo on the lateral surface of the left shoulder.

2. Left Upper Extremity:
- A diagonal linear scar distal and lateral to the left antecubital fossa.
- Three diagonal faint linear scars on the lateral surface of the left forearm between the one described previously and the one described next.
- A diagonal linear scar on the left lateral wrist extending medially to the tattoo.

Link to Autopsy (for reference and backup) —
** WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT **
https://static.fox5atlanta.com/www.fox5atlanta.com/content/uploads/2021/11/Katie-Janness-Autopsy.pdf

My impression was these scars were from some type of shoulder surgery maybe.

The only words English F - A - T words I can think of are “antifa” and the anti-gay slur “fa - - ot.” Swap the “-“ for a “g” if you’re unclear - it’s probably not allowed to be typed here. (Yes, I’ve heard the slur used against females, too).

If “FAT” is an acronym, I think we need a high-schooler to help us out.

Could it be gang initials?

JMO.

With apologies if this has already been discussed.... she had just been at the restaurant where her partner worked, right? Could it have been another person working in the restaurant who would have followed her out and knew where she was going? Has the knife (or whatever was used) been found? Restaurants have lots of knives. JMOO
I am leaning to something like this. This was not a random psycho, this was someone who knew her. This was personal. They either knew her routine of walking the dog and waited or followed her from another location like the restaurant. Someone had some rage against her to carve that word and humiliate her. Either love or money and by money I mean a job. Maybe a co worker or someone who was fired. I am siding with someone who was attracted or in love with her or her girlfriend or some kind of romantic drama. This was a crime of passion as they say. JMO.

Very sharp knives at restaurants.

Surprise attack by someone known; someone she let get close?

The deep slash to the neck from behind would silence and the other cuts done while addressing grievances to the dying woman.

I watch the show Forged in Fire and the knife demonstrations of strength and sharpness are horrifying in this context.

Would an average person’s knife be so sharp as to nearly behead?

This is R/Chefit thread about cooks and chefs taking pride in having personal knives of a preferred type as well as restaurants that supply knives and/or weekly sharpening:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chefit/comments/beeyvo/do_restaurants_provide_their_chefs_with_knives/

all imo

Average person here...all of my kitchen knives are extremely sharp and while I have never cut off a person's head, any one of my knives will cut through a giant hunk of meat like it's butter. If your knives aren't sharp, there is more danger to cutting yourself. A lot of your average home cooks will keep very sharp knives.

The only words English F - A - T words I can think of are “antifa” and the anti-gay slur “fa - - ot.” Swap the “-“ for a “g” if you’re unclear - it’s probably not allowed to be typed here. (Yes, I’ve heard the slur used against females, too).

If “FAT” is an acronym, I think we need a high-schooler to help us out.

Could it be gang initials?

JMO.

I think it's just simply the word "fat".

Maybe the killer was a fitness junkie and didn't like people he deemed overweight? Maybe the killer hit on her thinking she was a little overweight, but acceptable and when she blew him off, was extremely offended that this "fat girl" had the audacity to turn him down? Sometimes it really is the most simple answer and trying to make it something that it's not can steer the investigation towards the wrong direction and waste valuable time.

I doubt we'll catch this guy before he does it again. Crime in Atlanta is just so bad right now and resources are really spread out.

There is no name given, cannot recall reading about this case at all..
2012 rbbm.
Gay Nebraska woman tied up, mutilated in hate-crime assault, police say
''A 33-year-old Nebraska woman said three masked intruders tied her up, carved homophobic slurs into her skin and then set her house on fire in a shocking case that police are reportedly classifying as a hate crime.''

There is no name given, cannot recall reading about this case at all..
2012 rbbm.
Gay Nebraska woman tied up, mutilated in hate-crime assault, police say
''A 33-year-old Nebraska woman said three masked intruders tied her up, carved homophobic slurs into her skin and then set her house on fire in a shocking case that police are reportedly classifying as a hate crime.''
This turned out to be a hoax. She ended up doing jail time for it.
Lesbian Who Faked Anti-Gay Hate Crime To Serve Week In Jail

I am leaning to something like this. This was not a random psycho, this was someone who knew her. This was personal. They either knew her routine of walking the dog and waited or followed her from another location like the restaurant. Someone had some rage against her to carve that word and humiliate her. Either love or money and by money I mean a job. Maybe a co worker or someone who was fired. I am siding with someone who was attracted or in love with her or her girlfriend or some kind of romantic drama. This was a crime of passion as they say. JMO.
Excellent theories. I hadn’t considered a disgruntled former coworker. But I also lean towards someone obsessed with her or Emma. I have wondered why the restaurant where Katie worked or a local restaurant association didn’t contribute (that I know of) to the reward for information. IMO. Maybe that’s not done for business reasons? I just feel so bad for Katie and Bowie.

I would be interested to get a forensic profiler's thoughts on this crime. I wonder if John Kelly would do a video on this?
I have been wishing Kay Scarpetta was a real person.
It would be nice to hear the thoughts of John Kelly.
I think stabbing is considered a personal crime. Damage to the face has meaning to profilers too. Imo there was overkill and staging involved. Advance planning, probably. Stalking? Knowledge of escape routes and cameras?

Posting again...the metal box that I believe is the electrical box that controls the cameras or the street lamps in that part of the park. IMO.
This is a still of the 1st known local news report of the murder from 11alive news.
View attachment 322638
Thank you @AtlantaBourne! @PrairieWind, this is the photo I was talking about with SL*T written upside down. I've tried to figure out if the word was there in any of the camera footage shots of potential witnesses, but can't tell for sure. Who knows.

In the FCME autopsy report it is noted that the letters FA are on the right side of the chest & the letter T is on the left side of the chest. The horizontal line in the T is longer than the verticle line of the T. I observe from the word written upside down on the metal box SL!T, the horizontal line on the T appears to be more bold than the other letters. 2 K9's are shown alerting to this box by jumping up on it moments b4 I snapped the still. I will try to locate the video & post it. Just pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if a handwriting expert could compare the letters on KJ to the box. Probably not a comparible thing though. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member