GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotr

Reaction score
Police seek clues after woman and dog killed in Atlanta park
''ATLANTA -- Investigators sought video from homes and businesses near a popular Atlanta park as divers searched a pond in their quest to solve the stabbing death of a parkgoer who was walking her dog.

Katherine Janness, 40, was found dead in Piedmont Park around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Police say her dog was also killed. No arrests have been made.''

''Janness was found stabbed multiple times and Atlanta police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton described the scene as “gruesome.”

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE

There have been numerous posts in this thread that have been posted as RUMORS which is a serious violation of Websleuths TOS.

There have also been posts that stated info as fact without an MSM link which is also a violation of TOS. If info is posted as fact without the substantiating MSM link, it is also considered RUMOR.

Members should not reply to posts that involve RUMORS because it causes the rumors to be perpetuated. Please do not do that.

Repeatedly ignoring the TOS will result in many removed posts and risk members losing posting privileges. The victims and families of the crimes we discuss here deserve our respect. Please conduct the discussion with that in mind by posting in accordance with the TOS.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly while following the Websleuths’ rules.

Even though MSM hasn't revealed all of the details of the case, it is my opinion that there are components of the murder that just do not fit the "normal" murders that take place in Atlanta or anywhere else for that matter.

According to the video released, 9 park cameras did not work. So should we rely on the timestamps, IDK. The use of the cane is confusing. I have no better word, than a "passive" use. He is not leaning on the cane for support. He is not unsteady on his feet. He has a long and leisurely gait and IMO, the cane isnt used in time with the steps he makes, as if he is just swinging it along. I wonder if he qualifies for disability and continues to carry a cane? Do not let someone who appears to be leisurely in demeanor make you think they are laid back. IMO, I agree, looks like blood and splatter above it IMO.

According to the video released, 9 park cameras did not work. So should we rely on the timestamps, IDK. The use of the cane is confusing. I have no better word, than a "passive" use. He is not leaning on the cane for support. He is not unsteady on his feet. He has a long and leisurely gait and IMO, the cane isnt used in time with the steps he makes, as if he is just swinging it along. I wonder if he qualifies for disability and continues to carry a cane? Do not let someone who appears to be leisurely in demeanor make you think they are laid back. IMO, I agree, looks like blood and splatter above it IMO.
Even though this seems far fetched, even to me, I just cannot help but think of the Little Rock Arkansas serial killer and this one being connected. Most likely it is not connected. I hope there is a break in this case soon. This case has me very disturbed for some reason. I don't live too far from Atlanta and my anxiety is sky high!

That makes sense and is a terrifically creepy thought. Totally possible though. But yes, I want a break so bad in this case so her family can get justice!

True but people are INSANE. Plus whoever it was obviously “could take on” a Pitbull, even if it probably wasn’t easy.

Where are all the fantasy/obsession theories coming from?

<modsnip>

It's just the way he killed them. It doesn't seem like the killer knew Katherine, personally, at least. The location too. It was a very high-risk place. Furthermore, she was with a dog. If it was someone she knew, he would want to murder her with nobody around and with as much privacy as possible, he would've planned it out. To me, it seems like the killer wanted to establish power over her. He killed her up close, he stabbed her. The choice of weapon tells us a lot about it too.
Was she disfigured and then stabbed or the other way around?

I don’t have a source for this other than it’s common knowledge to many people, but the cameras in the park haven’t worked for a long time. They do “work” maybe I guess but they at least aren’t connected to the LE camera network or the city traffic network and they aren’t monitored, and I don’t think any footage was retrievable from them. My spouse says they were actually installed to make the area more appealing for the 96 olympics and fell out of use in later years, but I haven’t verified that. Maybe I’ll try to confirm.

but the cameras on the street (and the beltline) are a different matter. They work fine and there are so many of them. But they could be out of sync, I wish I knew more about how likely that is.

I’ve been thinking about the white tank top guy with the phone and cane. LE around here uses location based tracking on phones and I wonder, have they gotten any info from this type of technology?

RSBM: this. A million times this.

IMO

I wouldn't be that sure, aggressive and violent fantasies are a thing too.

Again, I'm still stuck on why he killed the dog. Was it piquerism? Was it to establish power?
Maybe she was the main target and he just wanted to get the dog out of the way. But then why do it in such a high-risk place?
Why he killed the dog is the only thing I'm trying to understand right now.
Power/Control seems the most likely to me.

Edit:To clarify, I think the cops must think it’s a rando without a fixation on the victim specifically because why else would they issue that warning about walking along late at night unless in groups of 3 or 4?

Respectfully snipped by me...

Police love to say "we do not have any reason to believe the public is in any danger" or some version of this for cases up to and including murders where, after it's found who did it, the public thinks "seems like we were actually in a lot of danger." They do this because they don't want to incite public panic.

IMO it's very rare to issue for LE such a statement as a warning to walk in threes and fours (not even going in pairs can save you!).

I think we should interpret this warning as: 1. They have strong reason to believe she was a random target. 2. They have strong reason to believe the person will attack again.

Police love to say "we do not have any reason to believe the public is in any danger" or some version of this for cases up to and including murders where, after it's found who did it, the public thinks "seems like we were actually in a lot of danger." They do this because they don't want to incite public panic.

IMO it's very rare to issue for LE such a statement as a warning to walk in threes and fours (not even going in pairs can save you!).

I think we should interpret this warning as: 1. They have strong reason to believe she was a random target. 2. They have strong reason to believe the person will attack again
rbbm.
Totally agree, this particular perp is a monster, forewarned is forearmed, imo.

Even though MSM hasn't revealed all of the details of the case, it is my opinion that there are components of the murder that just do not fit the "normal" murders that take place in Atlanta or anywhere else for that matter.

Another interview came out yesterday by Fox5 with Emma and in the video, Emma described seeing Katie’s neck as having been slit. I don’t think that had been released until she said it in her interview - or I hadn’t read/heard confirmation of that prior to yesterday.

Piedmont Park murder victim's partner speaks out

<rsbm>

I would be hard-pressed to find a link right now, (I think other members will recall) but LE specified to the effect that this crime is distinctly different than the types of crime they normally see in Atlanta.

There was this information from the police chief:

Investigators sought help from the FBI almost immediately, said Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant.

The homicide “was so unique that I felt that we needed to collaborate with as many resources as we possibly can," Bryant said.

Source: Atlanta mayor: 'Monster' who killed parkgoer must be caught

Another interview came out yesterday by Fox5 with Emma and in the video, Emma described seeing Katie’s neck as having been slit. I don’t think that had been released until she said it in her interview - or I hadn’t read/heard confirmation of that prior to yesterday.

Piedmont Park murder victim's partner speaks out

been thinking about this. Assuming that was possibly a killing blow, just the way Emma words it sounds like a single intentional cut... so, when did it happen? Was it disabling or finishing?

awful stuff to think about I know but I feel like I have to know the mechanics of this crime to understand who did it

eta also aware, it could have been more of a bad stab/stabs and Emma didn’t sit there analyzing the difference. But as she describes it it sounds like a slash to me.

been thinking about this. Assuming that was possibly a killing blow, just the way Emma words it sounds like a single intentional cut... so, when did it happen? Was it disabling or finishing?

awful stuff to think about I know but I feel like I have to know the mechanics of this crime to understand who did it

eta also aware, it could have been more of a bad stab/stabs and Emma didn’t sit there analyzing the difference. But as she describes it it sounds like a slash to me.

And if one single, intentional and finishing cut, wouldn’t they have had to have access to an extremely, extremely sharp knife to make that happen?

I hate thinking about this so specifically. But the details make me think that she was incapacitated quickly because whoever did this was going for shock value. That’s the only reason I could think of for some aspects of this crime. This was meant to be seen by all.

I’m sure it’s not related to Delphi but it gives me a similar feeling. Not someone who is on drugs or psychotic, but a well planned event.

Scary and how awful this must be for her family. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

... I’m picturing the neck injury happening at the beginning, I think. Maybe it happened really fast, like jump out of a tree and slash fast.
And if one single, finishing cut, wouldn’t they have had to have access to an extremely, extremely sharp knife to make that happen?

Yes, I think it must have been very sharp. I kind of think that anyway, bc this all happened fast and... even with a sharp knife, the amount of injury I think is likely would take some time. I think he had tools for the job and practice as well, on animals at the very least, not sure of course but that’s where my mind is

I think we should interpret this warning as: 1. They have strong reason to believe she was a random target. 2. They have strong reason to believe the person will attack again.
This makes sense and is very frightening.

I wouldn't be that sure, aggressive and violent fantasies are a thing too.

Again, I'm still stuck on why he killed the dog. Was it piquerism? Was it to establish power?
Maybe she was the main target and he just wanted to get the dog out of the way. But then why do it in such a high-risk place?
Why he killed the dog is the only thing I'm trying to understand right now.
Power/Control seems the most likely to me.
Good points and food for thought. This whole situation is just so bizarre and defies logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice