GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate thinking about this so specifically. But the details make me think that she was incapacitated quickly because whoever did this was going for shock value. That’s the only reason I could think of for some aspects of this crime. This was meant to be seen by all.

I’m sure it’s not related to Delphi but it gives me a similar feeling. Not someone who is on drugs or psychotic, but a well planned event.

Scary and how awful this must be for her family. I can’t imagine what they are going through.

I’ve been looking at this from the lens of he was indifferent to or unaware of how always populated that area was. But that doesn’t fit any better than the idea that he DID know and was making use of that knowledge. That’s very unpleasant but also interesting to think about.

... I’m picturing the neck injury happening at the beginning, I think. Maybe it happened really fast, like jump out of a tree and slash fast.

Yes, I think it must have been very sharp. I kind of think that anyway, bc this all happened fast and... even with a sharp knife, the amount of injury I think is likely would take some time. I think he had tools for the job and practice as well, on animals at the very least, not sure of course but that’s where my mind is

what are your thoughts on any possible relation to what happened in 2009, the cold case? the media brought it up then dropped it almost just as quick

Piedmont Park killing: No leads, possible hate crime | Creative Loafing

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/pied...-found/k4KAR2sYHZgMec20KeddlO/?outputType=amp

I’ve been looking at this from the lens of he was indifferent to or unaware of how always populated that area was. But that doesn’t fit any better than the idea that he DID know and was making use of that knowledge. That’s very unpleasant but also interesting to think about.

Eta I mean... Piedmont Park is the busiest park in intown Atlanta, in an area of town where the streets are never completely empty, and he was on the edge of the park, at a main gate, on a very busy street. He couldn’t have chosen many worse places as far as privacy goes

rsbm. Bowie looks gray with a white chest and belly, and I think it's possible the attacker didn't notice him at first, especially if he was hyper-focused on Katie. I have a border collie with a similar color pattern (dark on top with white belly and legs), and he can be difficult to see in our backyard at night when he's not near house or street lights.

July 27 was only four days post-full moon, but if Bowie was snuffling in bushes or just in the shadows, he may have simply not been that visible.
What does rsbm stand for?

what are your thoughts on any possible relation to what happened in 2009, the cold case? the media brought it up then dropped it almost just as quick

Piedmont Park killing: No leads, possible hate crime | Creative Loafing

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/pied...-found/k4KAR2sYHZgMec20KeddlO/?outputType=amp

going to read about this now. I did suddenly wonder- KJ’s gender was not in question for me, but this guy didn’t see her dog (imo) ... maybe he didn’t see that she was a woman?

maybe bc he took his glasses off?

Complete speculation, thoughts at the moment. imo.

One might almost imagine a creepy intoxicated guy in the shadows making a smarmy remark to KJ and getting told to buzz off, or she completely ignores him. And he will not be ignored.

Enraged (thinks she is so tough huh with that pitbull, well i will show her ) in impotent frenzy he symbolically ''violates'' her with repeated stabbing.

I wasn’t leaning towards this as much until I remembered this situation just happened on the Peachtree Creek Greenway this summer. The woman was extremely lucky to survive. And The Greenway had working cameras.

Police ID, arrest suspect in stabbing of pregnant woman on Brookhaven trail

I'm still focused on the cane...the favored right side of the individual, a pouch can easily hold another tank top.

<modsnip: No link to image. All images require a link to the source>

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the video released, 9 park cameras did not work. So should we rely on the timestamps, IDK. The use of the cane is confusing. I have no better word, than a "passive" use. He is not leaning on the cane for support. He is not unsteady on his feet. He has a long and leisurely gait and IMO, the cane isnt used in time with the steps he makes, as if he is just swinging it along. I wonder if he qualifies for disability and continues to carry a cane? Do not let someone who appears to be leisurely in demeanor make you think they are laid back. IMO, I agree, looks like blood and splatter above it IMO.

I can think of at least a couple of people I know who carry a cane and don't particularly "need" it for every step. Some carry one if they are going to be walking for some distance and know their bad knee (or whatever) might start flaring up, if they have to navigate stairs, etc. I don't think we can read too much into this short clip and the use (or non-use) of the cane.

I just can't imagine that even someone trying really, really hard to appear nonchalant would be bold enough to casually stroll out of a major entrance of the park covered in blood in full view of the street, scrolling on their phone all the while. If you were trying to "blend in," certainly a huge blood stain on your shirt would not be the way to do it. That combined with the timing and the distance from the crime scene makes me think that at most, the guy with the cane is a potential witness but probably not even a likely one at that. (My opinion also is that he's got an object of some kind tucked under his arm, maybe a hat, a bag, another shirt, or etc.)

I wonder if the public will ever know all the details of this case?
IMHO
I can't imagine so...at least not anytime soon unless deets are leaked by s/o in APD. The "temperature" socially with regard to crime in general , violent-crime specifically as well as social divisions politically re pandemic etc has everything already so amped up in ATL I think they're likely to downplay/withhold to mitigate further escalation. Also $ comes into play as well. Convention biz was decimated due to the pandemic in 2020-2021 and ACVB is banking on 2022 for rebounding. Sounds cold, I know but I imagine there's pressure to keep as much as possible on down-low so as to have businesses not balk at coming here. Convention business is vital to ATL economy. I'm guessing that factors in to FBI coming in and the high priority given to this case from what I see and hear.

Last edited:
I might have actually seen Katie in West Columbia around 2008. I remember someone who looked a lot like her struggling to keep a pitbull in line, like a new dog owner perhaps. This was outside an indie rock club, and she did sing in some bands.

I wonder if the public will ever know all the details of this case?

Probably not until a trial (if there is one), if even then.

At this point LE will want to use details of what the offender did to create a profiling tool for the investigation IMO. Profiles are not ever made public in their entirety for active cases. They aren't going to tip their hand as to exactly what type of person they are looking for right now or what they would question them about if they were able to talk to a person of interest.

In addition, LE have no doubt asked the victim's family to keep quiet on specific details of what the offender did, in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. They don't want those details out there in the press. If kept in confidence, then when investigators interrogate a suspect they can elicit incriminating statements based on details of what actually happened. They do not want an incriminating statements challenged in court as "he knew this because it was reported in the newspaper, not because he did it."

If the murder is especially gruesome, which MSM told us that police said it was, then they will also want to protect the privacy of the victim and her family to some extent. The public does need to know there is extreme danger right now; they do not need to know the details of exactly what was done (especially if sexual in nature, which I believe on some level it was).

All MOO.

IMHO
I can't imagine so...at least not anytime soon unless deets are leaked by s/o in APD. The "temperature" socially with regard to crime in general , violent-crime specifically as well as social divisions politically re pandemic etc has everything already so amped up in ATL I think they're likely to downplay/withhold to mitigate further escalation. Also $ comes into play as well. Convention biz was decimated due to the pandemic in 2020-2021 and ACVB is banking on 2022 for rebounding. Sounds cold, I know but I imagine there's pressure to keep as much as possible on down-low so as to have businesses balk at coming here. Convention business is vital to ATL economy. I'm guessing that factors in to FBI coming in and the high priority given to this case from what I see and hear.

It has seemed to me, that the Pandemic has escalated crime. Especially violent crimes. Some are barely even reported, and gone.

I hope that the police are able to find the perpetrator of this crime. I am assuming that the perpetrator was a male, due to the sheer physical strength it would take to kill a pit bull and a woman, with a knife.

From what I have read about other crimes where the perpetrator used a knife, especially in a frenzied attack, there are often cuts on the perpetrators hands. Maybe the police can get some DNA evidence from this.

Which isn't useful, unless the DNA is already available in a database for a match.

Atlanta police: Help us find gay man's killer | Project Q Atlanta

v interesting to think about this in context of the murder of Patrick Boland. Still looking for more details of the case.

it’s really not a place/time you would expect to find women. Maybe he was looking for a man, for sexual violence. Maybe her womanhood surprised him? Offended, disgusted, enraged him? He went to some trouble wanting to do a specific crime and she ruined it by being a woman?

speculation

I understand from the locals here that this park is known for men looking for men at night, but at least three of the possible witnesses from the camera footage, iirc, are women. I guess in my mind this killer really could have been looking for either.

@Yemelyan, do you know how frequently a violent crime can switch from one motive (robbery, rage, etc) to a sexual motive during the attack itself?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member