GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can narrow the timeline much more than this. If Katie was 10 minutes away from where she was killed at 12:09, she would have had to arrive at that spot at about 12:20. If it had been a completely normal walk and she had turned around immediately and returned home, if she lived very, very close to where she was videoed, she would have arrived home at around 12:35. Let’s suppose this is the case and that’s when she would normally be expected back. Surely her fiancé didn’t raise the alarm immediately—give her 10 minutes, say 12:45. Then the fiancé calls and texts a few times, consults her app, sees Katie’s phone in the park, watches it a while to see it isn’t moving, becomes worried, goes to the park, by then it has to be 12:55 or later, discovers the body, runs out, calls the police (gotta be around 1am or a little after since the cops arrived at 1:10). Almost every minute is accounted for if Katie was killed between 12:20 and 12:30. I just don’t think it could be much later than 12:30. If she was still alive at 12:30, she would have had to be on her way home. The timeline doesn’t work with a later killing.

Something I'm confused about is where Katie was between 11:30 and 12:09. Her wife says she last saw her at 11:30 at her work, Henry's Midtown, which is just one block up from the rainbow crosswalk where Katie was pictured at 12:09. So did Katie walk up 10th Street away from the park and then circle back? Or is her wife perhaps mistaken about what time it was when she stopped by? I was just assuming that given the close proximity, she went straight from Henry's to the rainbow crosswalk but that would be a walk of just a couple of minutes at most.

I suppose it's also possible the runner did see the killer, maybe just saw someone acting strange, or bloody, whatever, but hasn't come forward now because he's scared to. I still think he seemed to be running at a normal, not fearful pace, though...
Imo, The police released the sketches and video six days after the murder. I figure there were more people seen on the street cameras that they found and spoke with. I think the ones released in the photos yesterday are of people they were not able to locate in six days. Perhaps the runner did not run in the six days or no one recognized him. Could be his spouse or significant other would not like to know he was running into the part late at night because.. Park is technically closed and you’re not supposed to do that.

I suppose it's also possible the runner did see the killer, maybe just saw someone acting stange, or bloody, whatever, but hasn't come forward now because he's scared to. I still think he seemed to be running at a normal, not fearful pace, though...

Yeah, there's a reason he turned around. If he wanted to continue running through the park there is a path inside along 10th street that goes in the same direction he turned (once exiting) towards Park Tavern. He wouldn't need to turn around in the park to go in that same direction. That path inside the park leads to an entrance/exit further down 10th street.

How the heck has that runner not come forward yet? Maybe he has but releasing the video after the pictures tells me he hasn't.

I used to live in Atlanta (Buckhead) and worked on Peachtree in Midtown within walking distance of the park. All my friends there are talking about this murder non stop. I find it odd this guy hasn't thought or told someone, "Dang I was right there...."

Going off a post by @ArmchairDefective... Perhaps a witness' or passerby's partner would be upset(? surprised?) to know that that witness or passerby was even at the park at that time of night, knowing that folks cruise there.

I can't even believe I am trying to come up with anything. I have no doubt LE is working this case and knows tons more than we do.

What is terrifying? Piedmont Park is beautiful.
Imo, The only thing that’s terrifying about Piedmont Park in the daytime is all of the people on scooters I think are going to run into me. Perhaps the poster was thinking of another park. Or they don’t like being around lots of other people.

Last edited:
Imo, The only thing that’s terrifying about Piedmont Park in the daytime is all of the people on scooters I think we’re going to run into me. Perhaps the poster was thinking of another park. Or they don’t like being around lots of other people.
BBM
I had to laugh when Gray Hughes showed the scooters all lined up at the entrance and he had no clue what or why they were there. :D

On A pretty day Piedmont Park is utilized by people from all walks of life. Gay, straight, Young and old, lots of families and family reunions. Piedmont Park has a pool that is wildly popular tennis courts and soccer fields. people in every shade you can imagine. All happily coexisting. Of course there is occasional trouble. Anytime there are a that many people around there are occasional issues.

Quoting myself to add that while i think it was someone in the throes of psychosis I also have thoughts like: the weapon was likely not a knife a person would normally carry. As far as we know the killer was not seen by anyone or camera. The killer must have left the scene rather quickly and not left any obvious clues to their identity.
Would someone on the throes of psychosis have the presence of mind to escape unnoticed?

BBM
If they were in a state of paranoia, possibly?

A few points of conjecture/questions.
1 .What if the dog instead of fighting against the attack precipitated it?
IF the dog was running off its leash and approached or attacked someone the person may have responded by going after the dog. The victim then would confront that person which lead to her death. (A homeless person in the park attacking the dog and then her via a knife would fit such a scenario)
2. Not to be insensitive to her horrific loss but has the girlfriend been ruled out as a suspect? (statistically she is the most likely to be involved)
Crime scene evidence could readily rule out either above.
Please note the questions are conjecture only

IF the dog was running off its leash and approached or attacked someone the person may have responded by going after the dog. The victim then would confront that person which lead to her death. (A homeless person in the park attacking the dog and then her via a knife would fit such a scenario)
2. Not to be insensitive to her horrific loss but has the girlfriend been ruled out as a suspect? (statistically she is the most likely to be involved)
To me the mutilation doesn't fit this.I just don't see some random homeless guy carving someone up like this over a dog bite.I don't know if she was the target but I think this guy was planning to murder someone that night.I do think he wanted to kill a woman and he seemed to be in a right mind enough to clean himself and get away fast.

To me the mutilation doesn't fit this.I just don't see some random homeless guy carving someone up like this over a dog bite.I don't know if she was the target but I think this guy was planning to murder someone that night.I do think he wanted to kill a woman and he seemed to be in a right mind enough to clean himself and get away fast.
Why do you believe it was this "guy" or a "he" targeting women specifically?

1. Wouldn't account for the brutality of what happened to either. However when this monster is captured and eventually put on trial, some defense attorney might use that as a defense.
Re: #2.. I don't think the FBI would be brought in and there would be statements like, "there is a monster on the loose" if there LE had even an inkling that her wife was involved. Also I think between her being at work and using her cell phone constantly in trying to contact Katie, her whereabouts can easily be verified.

I have asked myself if I think it could have been a situation where the dog went after someone or another dog. But even if that happened and it escalated to the person stabbing Katie I don’t think the scene would have been one that Atlanta homicide has never seen before. And the chief stated in the press conference yesterday that the crime scene is why he called in the FBI.

I can not think of why she and the dog were found so far apart. Him being off leash could be an explanation but he was found so close to a busy street and she loved that dog. I do not think she would’ve had him off leash that close to a street.

Trying to make sense of the quick turn around by the runner seen wearing blue in surveillance, and of course this is completely speculative but he thought he saw what appeared to be two people having sex (dark, far away) so didn't want to keep on. Given how quickly he turned around it doesn't seem likely that he would have had time to get a good look, but hopefully he did (or someone). I hope that local runner clubs are circulating that surveillance pic if he doesn't come forward on his own.

I've considered something along these lines, but in my thoughts the killer was likely unhinged and already lurking in the park. The dog sensed danger and attacked, which led to it getting stabbed, and this then made KJ the target. Who knows. It just doesn't seem like someone looking for a random target would intentionally choose anyone with a pitbull by her side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members