GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble with this timeline if we assume that:
- Emma tried to reach KJ by text/phone a number of times
- then checked phone location. observed it for a while to confirm it wasn't moving
- then called a couple more times
- then drove to and around the area
- then parked and walked into the park
- then found Bowie...checked him out and hugged him
- Then walked a short distance and found KJ. Checked her pulse. Got fearful and ran out of the park
- Called 911. spoke for a couple of minutes.
- LE showed up several minutes later.

There is no way that KJ was killed close to 1:00.
JMO, naturally.
I think Emma called 911 while standing next to Katie's body. That is why the other person was screaming as well. Then she ran out of the park.

I followed a couple of UK threads that were also women killed in parks. One was a lady walking her dog, the dog was not killed, he was found guarding her body. The other was two sisters killed in a park after a gathering with friends. Both murderers were unknown to the victims. Both were young males. Both have some kind of mental illness. I think the suspect here will tick those same boxes. Moo

I think Emma called 911 while standing next to Katie's body. That is why the other person was screaming as well. Then she ran out of the park.

Emma called 911 after she ran out of the park.

"I ran up to her, I tried to feel for a pulse but it was clear that she was gone. I turned around and I just ran out of the park," she described. "It was dark, and I didn't know what was going on. I was terrified and shocked. That's when I called the cops immediately."

"I spent like six hours with them that day and I've talked to the detectives a few times since then," she said.
Piedmont Park stabbing | Katie Janness wife speaks about scene | 11alive.com

JMO but a long interview like that would be totally normal. LE has to gather so much information about the victim. Who they know, what their routines are, not just about that day but everything. Plus this is the person who found the victim so there is a ton to hash out regarding that. She will need to give DNA for an elimination sample (as they lived together, her DNA would be expected to be on clothes, leashes, etc). She's probably going to have to talk to them for several more hours as they progress in the investigation but we cannot judge anything by the length of time she spends talking to LE.

I don't think the tree branch is related. Tree branches fall off trees all the time in the Atlanta area. I have an ongoing pile on my yard of branches that have fallen from my trees. I can barely keep up with it. My guess would be the branch fell off and it took a while to pick it up because of the crime scene being near by.
If the tree branch was near the scene of the crime, it could have all sorts of valuable DNA on it.
The perp may have urinated nearby, there may be strands of hair, dog fur, blood splatter etc. entwined in the leaves.
speculation, imo.

I haven't had a chance to read every post, so I apologize in advance if some of this is irrelevant and I don't have all of the facts straight.

Regarding timeline:

• KJ was at Henry's at 11:30 or so. Could someone confirm if she had Bowie with her at the time, or was she heading home to get Bowie to take him out for walk?
  • KJ was captured on camera at 10th & Piedmont at 12:09? (or was it 12:07?). This is only one building away from where she worked. Did she wander by the patio/restaurant and chat to anyone? Or did anyone see her from the patio?
  • We don't know her typical dog-walking route. Did she normally walk down 10th or did she head to the Piedmont/12th entrance and walk toward the 10th and Charles Allen entrance? Regardless, she was likely in the park by 12:15 or so.
  • Emma messaged/called her to check on when KJ expected to be home. No response. Let's presume that she messages/calls occurred around 12:35 or 12:45. Emma then used the phone location app and watched it for a few minutes and determined it wasn't moving. She likely called a couple more times and at 12:45-12:50 she decided to go and look.
  • Emma drove to the area and checked the streets; then parked (5 minutes).
  • Emma walked into the park to discover Bowie...likely stayed with him for 2 minutes or so, before realizing the possible implications for KJ. (2 minutes)
  • Emma found KJ. Checked her pulse. wonders what to do and then runs out the park exit. (2 minutes)
  • Calls police.
Based on the imagined timeline, the attack happened between 12:25 - 12:40
I think this a great synopsis and guesstimated timeline with minimal exception: when she discovered Bowie (and I believe she had said her initial thought that he must have been struck by car so she wasn’t yet thinking foul play) speculating but she may have spent more than a minute with him but then spotted KJ (and she has said she initially had not spotted her so there is slight delay, don’t know how long), then she runs the 100 ft to her body, checks pulse and states that she (terrified and confused) immediately runs to Charles Allen entrance and dials 911 (call was at 1:11) so I would think that from her arrival through gate, she would have spent total of 1-3 minutes as it’s unlikely she spent more than 15-30 secs w/ KJ based on her description. Think of how long a minute is in such a circumstance. Obviously this is all speculative and much depends on what time she was off work and I think your timeline makes a lot of sense but maybe it is all started 10 minutes later (from first messages/ calls to using phone app to locate, etc) so it’s possible she didn’t actually walk into park until 1:06-1:08… for 911 call to be 3-5 minutes later. I’m sure it felt like she was in that nightmare after arriving for what felt like hours but in reality was much shorter time.

My wife later ran into our waiter when on a walk and he pulled her aside to apologize and said “He definitely DOES NOT work here, and we were spooked that he dressed up in that apron to fool you guys. We are so so sorry. I hope your dinner wasn’t ruined.” My wife tells the waiter we know it’s not their fault etc.

Thanks for sharing this story. Just wanted to say that IMO the restaurant *is* at fault here. Big time. They clearly know that a man is posing as their employee, is trespassing on their premises and is crazily harassing their customers. It’s their responsibility to chase that man off and keep chasing him off, calling the police if he doesn’t leave immediately. It’s just good business.

So regarding the runner and theory about him having used bathroom during those 41 secs, I looked up the bathroom hours and it seems it closes at 11pm (just like the park). So I don’t know if it actually locks down and is unusable after 11P or whether it is simply listed as closed (like the park). Anyone know?

I know SM is generally not allowed on here but this tweet is from a local MSM reporter. Also, the person in the photos looks like they have some pretty large and distinctive tattoos on their left leg.

Joe Henke @JoeHenke, via Twitter, 9:37 AM · Aug 6, 2021
Another potential witness in the Katie Janness Piedmont Park murder case from July 28.
@Atlanta_Police detectives want to talk with this person & just released these photos.

Attachments

• E8HHsUCXIAU_GoS.jpeg
    E8HHsUCXIAU_GoS.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 170
  • E8HHqBjXsAcW6Ok.png
    E8HHqBjXsAcW6Ok.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 177
  • E8HHuInWQAIZyzJ.jpeg
    E8HHuInWQAIZyzJ.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 141
I know SM is generally not allowed on here but this tweet is from a local MSM reporter. Also, the person in the photos looks like they have some pretty large and distinctive tattoos on their left leg.

Another potential witness in the Katie Janness Piedmont Park murder case from July 28.
@Atlanta_Police detectives want to talk with this person & just released these photos.

APD releases photos of new possible witness in Piedmont Park killing –– WSB-TV
ATLANTA — Atlanta police has released new photos of someone who may have witnessed the “gruesome” stabbing death of a woman in Piedmont Park.

Katie Janness, 40, and her beloved pup Bowie were stabbed to death inside Piedmont Park on 10th Street on July 28.

Earlier this week, APD released surveillance images of six people who were in or near Piedmont Park the night that a Janness and her dog were killed.

On Friday, homicide investigators released three more photos of a jogger that may have been a witness.

Anyone who knows this person, or any other witnesses should encourage them to contact the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit or Crime Stoppers Atlanta. The reward in this case has been increased to $20,000.

APD releases photos of new possible witness in Piedmont Park killing –– WSB-TV
ATLANTA — Atlanta police has released new photos of someone who may have witnessed the “gruesome” stabbing death of a woman in Piedmont Park.

Katie Janness, 40, and her beloved pup Bowie were stabbed to death inside Piedmont Park on 10th Street on July 28.

Earlier this week, APD released surveillance images of six people who were in or near Piedmont Park the night that a Janness and her dog were killed.

On Friday, homicide investigators released three more photos of a jogger that may have been a witness.

Anyone who knows this person, or any other witnesses should encourage them to contact the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit or Crime Stoppers Atlanta. The reward in this case has been increased to $20,000.
That right leg/foot/shoe, sure is blurred out isn't it?
My opinion only!

Generally, social media from verified MSM reporters is allowed so you are good.

Thank you for posting these.

The bathroom being listed as closed at 11 is interesting. From the Yelp reviews of that robot bathroom, everything seems very timed and precise, like people mention it only gives you ten minutes inside before it opens the doors automatically and starts sanitizing. I'm sure they could schedule it to lock and unlock at certain times.

So now I wonder if the jogger ran in to use the bathroom, realized it was locked or closed, and then turn and ran back out. Does anyone local know approximately how many feet inside the entrance the robot bathroom is?

The bathroom being listed as closed at 11 is interesting. From the Yelp reviews of that robot bathroom, everything seems very timed and precise, like people mention it only gives you ten minutes inside before it opens the doors automatically and starts sanitizing. I'm sure they could schedule it to lock and unlock at certain times.

So now I wonder if the jogger ran in to use the bathroom, realized it was locked or closed, and then turn and ran back out. Does anyone local know approximately how many feet inside the entrance the robot bathroom is?
It's around 90-100 ft from entrance when measured on Google maps.

So, is this "our blue runner?" Scary if it is and he hasn't checked in with police yet. Anyone know where these pictures were taken from?!

At this time of night, I’d be surprised if a man would used the bathroom anyway. I’d think that 41 seconds gives him about the right amount of time to duck just into the park and relieve himself into a hedge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member