GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lamp posts along some of the paths in the park do not appear to provide a great deal of light but they do add some glow to the immediate area around them. Are they turned off when the park "officially" closes or are they timed to operate from dusk to first light of day?

I believe they are on a timer. They come on as it gets dark, flickery until true dark.

Did the police say how many times bowie was stabbed...if once in the heart the perp may not have many wounds..but if not Im sure the perp would be covered with wounds on his arms and hands. The police should ask public to look for someone with wounds and bites on hands and arms.

bumping for question, anyone know how many times Bowie was stabbed? I’m v curious about how the dog fits into all of this. I think it’s weird the killer didn’t take the dog out first. I think it’s weird the bodies were 100 ft ish apart. I think it’s weird you’d choose a woman with a pit at all, that part really confuses my understanding of this crime.

It does make sense that a person with a pit bull would not be a sensible choice as a random victim, therefore, it leads to the idea that she was targeted for some reason? Perhaps, the killer had some type of infatuation with her and had been perhaps stalking her to learn her routine?

I've only been in the park after dark once, and that's been years ago now, so I don't really recall how dark it was, but according to some other locals there are at least parts that would be so dark, you can't see more than a few feet in any direction. It occurred to me that depending on what the lighting was like in the area of the attack and perhaps how long Bowie's leash was, the killer may have not realized initially that she had a dog with her. That makes a lot more sense to me than the idea of someone deciding to take on a pit bull.

Not victim blaming, but I don't even walk in a park at night in Montana, forget Atlanta. It is a sad comment that United States still isn't safe. I have participated in "Take Back the Night" rallies for over 40 years. And it still hasn't changed.

Take Back the Night (organization) - Wikipedia
I totally agree but lots of people walk around there at night. It is high walkability area and people just walk where they want when they want. Busy area with people doing stuff at all hours.

I've only been in the park after dark once, and that's been years ago now, so I don't really recall how dark it was, but according to some other locals there are at least parts that would be so dark, you can't see more than a few feet in any direction. It occurred to me that depending on what the lighting was like in the area of the attack and perhaps how long Bowie's leash was, the killer may have not realized initially that she had a dog with her. That makes a lot more sense to me than the idea of someone deciding to take on a pit bull.
I agree. I've wondered that, as well, or if maybe they had stopped for the dog to take a potty break off leash, so he wasn't visible at the moment. But any of these scenarios would mean the killer likely hadn't been waiting and watching the area while she and Bowie approached.

I still think Bowie might have sensed the killer's presence and/or danger before KJ was attacked, and maybe engaged the person first, but I also think that person was already a threat.

Atlanta police step up security in Piedmont Park as investigation into stabbing death continues –– WSB-TV

As the annual Dogwood Festival hits full swing in Piedmont Park, reminders of the horrific crime that took place nearly 10 days ago remains in the form of a memorial at the park’s entrance.

Atlanta police continue to look for leads on who may have stabbed Katie Janness and her dog to death just inside the Charles Allen Drive entrance to the park. It’s one reason why if you go to the park this weekend, you are likely to see more officers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be a significant reason the FBI was called in almost immediately. I don't think the public knows important unusual crime scene details so as not to jeopardize the case, however, gang violence is not unusual in Atlanta or in other major cities and would not warrant summoning the FBI almost immediately. Even the GBI was passed over so there is something extremely disturbing and unique about this particular case, in my opinion.
One reason could be that many have lost faith in the Mayor and Atlanta Police Dept. to the level that parts of the city are discussing succeeding. The new police chief appears in over his head and was a temp appointment made permanent after a conflict with old chief and Mayor. A member of the LGBT+ community killed in a gruesome manner in the highest rent residential area of the city is pretty high profile. (All this coinciding with the Secoriea Turner news release which made the Mayor and police department look very inept).

Excuse my stupidity but I'm looking for some clarification on the family tracking apps like the one Emma used.. That information is only available in real time, right? As opposed to recording the person's route for later use possibly with details on time?
That would be too easy.
I wonder if she had her google location timeline turned on. That will capture your constant routes and time all day, every day, if turned on, not just a current location ping.

I have read conflicting reports about whether the cameras in the park were actually working. IIRC, I read that perhaps they were working, but not hooked up to the rest of the city system, and therefore, not being monitored live?

I continue to be surprised that more local governments and businesses, do not invest in more comprehensive, and advanced CCTV technology. From following the Sarah Everard case in the UK, it is clear to me how important CCTV evidence can be. The Transport for London camera network was impressive, IMO, and camera evidence from one of their buses proved quite pivotal, IIRC.

Sadly many businesses and municipalities install dummy cameras as a deterrent. But it gives people a false sense of security thinking they are working cameras. Very dumb practice IMO.

Thanks to @Gardenista for suggesting YT videos for walking tours of the park, I was able to find at least one with a dusk (to a bit darker) walk in the park and surrounding area. It seems there were much darker areas in the park than at the entrances (assuming the tall lamps were operational) so it wasn't as if the killer attacked and pulled her to a darker area to kill her... it was all done right there. Very brazen for such a violent attack. Could he catch a bus just outside the entrance at that hour?

I suppose it is possible the leash could have been quite long and the killer didn't initially realize Bowie was with her.

One reason could be that many have lost faith in the Mayor and Atlanta Police Dept. to the level that parts of the city are discussing succeeding. The new police chief appears in over his head and was a temp appointment made permanent after a conflict with old chief and Mayor. A member of the LGBT+ community killed in a gruesome manner in the highest rent residential area of the city is pretty high profile. (All this coinciding with the Secoriea Turner news release which made the Mayor and police department look very inept).
No. That is not reason for the FBI to be involved.
The FBI is most likely involved to help with DNA off of the dog and due to the nature of the crime...gruesome.

One thing I would wager heavily on is that Bowie injured the killer. The adrenaline rush this person was on likely kept him or her functioning in the moment despite being injured, but I'm really hopeful those possible injuries will catch someone's attention.

Last edited:
One thing I would wager heavily on is that Bowie injured the killer. The adrenaline rush this person was on likely kept him or her functioning despite being injured, but I'm really hopeful those possible injuries will catch someone's attention.

I agree. The police also stated that they are doing a full autopsy on Bowie. I highly doubt the police would conduct a full-blown autopsy on a dog unless they had reason to believe it would be of value to the investigation (I.e., the attacker’s DNA under Bowie’s nails or in his mouth).

No. That is not reason for the FBI to be involved.
The FBI is most likely involved to help with DNA off of the dog and due to the nature of the crime...gruesome.
Can't local LE and the Mayor request the FBI be involved?
The GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigations) is one of the oldest in the nation and DNA from dogs mouth is nothing new. DNA from dog's mouth helps track down violent criminal in Ohio
Atlanta is a large metro area that has many gruesome crimes. I am not saying this wasn't particularly bad or unique but the nature of the pressure the Mayor/APD is facing helped in having them call the FBI in.
For those unfamiliar with what is taking place in Atlanta, Buckhead the northern part of the city is studying and proposing succeeding from the city due to crime. If they leave they take their massive tax base with them and the City of Atlanta will face a crisis. Not saying there were not other reasons for the FBI to be called in, but to think it was purely based on the specific manner of the crime is overlooking the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Can't local LE and the Mayor can't request the FBI be involved?
The GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigations) is one of the oldest in the nation and DNA from dogs mouth is nothing new.
They have to have valid reasons to request FBI....So, if u don't think they need FBI for DNA from dog's mouth what does that leave you?

I feel like he probably stalked her and for whatever irrational reason was fixated on and obsessed with her only. He was either hoping the dog would run off or was prepared to kill the dog too, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95