GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fulton County, federal law enforcement officials address concerns surrounding Piedmont Park murder

Snips below were taken from an article regarding the Fulton County press conference held today (8/5):

Fulton County, Atlanta and federal law enforcement officials say they are working together to solve the Piedmont Park murder and to bring justice to Katie Janness.

Fulton County Sheriff Patrick “Pat” Labat, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and the Acting U.S. Attorney Kurt Erskine spoke at a press conference Aug. 5 on the work the agencies are doing to solve the Piedmont Park murder.

Janness, 40, and her dog Bowie were brutally stabbed to death inside Piedmont Park near the 10th Street gate July 27. Janness’ partner, Emma Clark, found Janness and Bowie.

The Fulton County Sheriff’s Department, Atlanta Police Department, FBI, GBI and the Fulton DA are all working to solve the case. Both the Sheriff’s Department and APD have added heightened security to Piedmont Park, including extra cars from the Sheriff’s Department.

“We do want to send a strong message to the public that the federal government, the local government — city and the county — are all working together to support efforts to make sure this crime is solved,” Willis said.

Officials ask that anyone visiting Piedmont Park and the surrounding area take personal safety precautions.

“I love Piedmont Park too, but this time we are asking that you go with three or four friends when you’re there, that you’re not alone at night and that we just make sure that we all take safety precautions,” Willis said.

Willis also debunked rumors about an alleged serial killer. There is no evidence to suggest either rumor is true, Willis said at the press conference. Willis also said it too early to tell whether this was a hate crime.

As of now, the only known charges include malice murder and aggravated assault based on the action, but it is too early for officials to say more.

“We want our citizens to feels safe and we want to bring this person to justice,” Willis said.

The second person who stumbled in the body…. Anyone finding the body would have traces on them. As would the murderer. A good cover story was my initial thought

don’t sickos like to hang around their crime scenes and insert themselves into enquiries etc?

He has nothing to do with it.He sounded horrified. Forensically, it would be pretty easy for them to prove whether or not he was involved from the get go. And there is no evidence he attempted CPR or even laid a finger on her—it was apparent to people on the scene that she was gone. I mean the killer’s DNA is all over that site and if the police thought it was that guy, they would have no problem arresting him because they know who he is and could easily ask him to submit a DNA sample. He was a horrified bystander and that’s it.

If I was the perp I wouldn't flee by going back onto the street where tons of cameras are I would escape by moving further into the park. It's huge and you could be nearly half a kilometre away in less than five minutes.

Yep I honestly don’t think they had anything more to say other than that they stumbled upon the victim.

Detail refresher..
Aug 4 2021
Atlanta Police Department

''Atlanta Police Homicide Investigators have released surveillance photos and video showing people in the area of Piedmont Park, around the time 40-year-old Katherine Janness was murdered. Investigators are hoping these individuals may have seen something that could help forward their investigation and they are asking for assistance identifying or contacting them. If anyone was in the area around the time of the murder, or if anyone knows someone in these photos, we ask that they contact Atlanta Police Homicide Investigators or Crime Stoppers. #AtlantaPolice Link to photos: https://bit.ly/3s0E2zx Incident summary: On

Wednesday July 28, 2021, at around 1:10am officers responded to Piedmont Park, 1073 Piedmont Ave, on a report of a person stabbed. On scene officers found a deceased adult female with multiple stab wounds. Atlanta Police Homicide Unit detectives responded and are investigating the incident. Investigators are actively working to identify the suspect in this crime and are asking anyone with information to please contact the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477. Callers can remain completely anonymous. The reward is up to $10,000. Please keep in mind that this is preliminary information and may change as the investigation progresses.''

I keep coming back to the possible witness in the white tank top and white (or off-white) pants seen exiting the park at the Piedmont/12th St gate

1.) After looking at the two photos a hundred more times, I now think that he IS holding an offset cane - and not an umbrella as I previously thought, and,

2.) he looks awfully fit (at least his right bicep does) to be using a cane (not that a person can’t have a strong bicep and still use a cane - in fact, maybe using a cane will cause somebody to develop a strong bicep, idk), and,

3.) although the timing may not be perfect, I cannot get past the fact that he appears to have a huge red stain on his tank top. Maybe there’s a simple explanation for this (a shadow, or paint, or something), but it sure looks like blood to me.

I think it’s about .4 miles from the 10th St / Charles Allen gate to the Piedmont / 12th St gate (maybe .5 miles if you stayed on the path). Even going uphill, that’s probably no more than a 7-8 minute run.

Although one might not expect a perp to exit the park via a main gate, it doesn’t necessarily mean he/she didn’t. I wonder if this possible witness has come forward?

Last edited:
He has nothing to do with it.He sounded horrified. Forensically, it would be pretty easy for them to prove whether or not he was involved from the get go. And there is no evidence he attempted CPR or even laid a finger on her—it was apparent to people on the scene that she was gone. I mean the killer’s DNA is all over that site and if the police thought it was that guy, they would have no problem arresting him because they know who he is and could easily ask him to submit a DNA sample. He was a horrified bystander and that’s it.

that’s just an opinion as is mine. It’s not a fact at all and stranger things have happened

Very odd that nobody witnessed this but then along came ‘people’

Thank you for this. I was rereading the relevant posts that led up to what you just wrote about "the second guy" and blood and scratching my head. Not at all shading that poster but couldn't figure out the CPR and trace evidence comments etc. I agree with your take completely.

So Katie was at Henry's at 11pm. We don't know how long she stayed, but I'm guessing not long since she had the dog plus Emma was at work so wouldn't be visiting that long. Couldn't have been an hour. She's then seen an hour later a block away at the rainbow crosswalk. What happened in that hour when she was walking the dog. I doubt it was normal for her to walk her dog for 2 hours. Timeline is not adding up.
I could be wrong, but I thought Katie left Henry's around 11:30.

What I think the poster is referring to is whether it matters if they were married or simply a couple. The news has used “partner” and “wife” or “life partner” but in the 911 call, Emma used “girlfriend”. I think the media ran with “wife” as a stylistic choice because Emma’s dad said they were practically married but didn’t need to make it official to feel that way.

Ultimately I think it makes no difference whether they were legally married or simply “life partners”—they were in a relationship either way. I’m 300% sure the GF had nothing to do with it
I agree. Emma was at work, then she used her phone to contact Katie
I keep coming back to the possible witness in the white tank top and white (or off-white) pants seen exiting the park at the Piedmont/12th St gate

1.) After looking at the two photos a hundred more times, I now think that he IS holding an offset cane - and not an umbrella as I previously thought, and,

2.) he looks awfully fit (at least his right bicep does) to be using a cane (not that a person can’t have a strong bicep and still use a cane - in fact, maybe using a cane will cause somebody to develop a strong bicep, idk), and,

3.) although the timing may not be perfect, I cannot get past the fact that he appears to have a huge red stain on his tank top. Maybe there’s a simple explanation for this (a shadow, or paint, or something), but it sure looks like blood to me.

I think it’s about .4 miles from the 10th St / Charles Allen gate to the Piedmont / 12th St gate (maybe .5 miles if you stayed on the path). Even going uphill, that’s probably no more than a 7-8 minute run.

Although one would not necessarily expect a perp to exit the park via a main gate, it doesn’t mean he/she didn’t. I wonder if this possible witness has come forward?
I saw the red stain as well -- not sure what it was. I magnified the picture and it appears that the person has breasts. Anyone else noticed that?

From another article:
"She was already gone' | Wife of Piedmont Park stabbing victim describes discovering murder scene
ATLANTA — Emma Clark, the wife of Piedmont Park stabbing victim Katie Janness, said "it's a little hard to describe" and "it's all pretty blurry at this point," as she told 11Alive about the moment she found Janness and her dog, Bowie, murdered in an attack that still has no known suspect."

Another media outlet:
"‘My heart is so very broken’: Wife of woman stabbed at Piedmont Park remembers her"

I'm a little confused by the description of their relationship. From various sources, they met 8 years ago, become a couple 6 years ago, and according to (Emma) Clark each called the other her "wife". In some articles however (Katie) Janness is referred to as Clark's wife. Same sex marriage was legalized 5 years ago in GA, yet they were never married. Wife is a specific term for both same and opposite sex couples.
Either sloppy reporting or different terms being thrown around by Clark.

Very simple....they were common law wives. I don't think we need to over-focus on the word wife.
I have a colleague who has lived with her male partner for 15 years. No one would blink an eye if they were called husband and wife. It's just not a 'formal, structural' relationship, but rather a real love/life relationship.

Last edited:
Honestly not sure, only quoting the article. Even if she left at Henry's at 11:30 it would be strange to take 30 minutes to walk a block.
Unless she stopped somewhere on the way she probably left Henry's closer to 12am. Its maybe a 5 min walk from Henry's to the 10th and Piedmont Rainbow crosswalk where she was verified to be at 12:07am.
If she decided to walk in the park she likely took a smaller entrance further up on 10th street who's path would curve towards the Charles Allen entrance.

Although one would not necessarily expect a perp to exit the park via a main gate, it doesn’t mean he/she didn’t. I wonder if this possible witness has come forward?

The timing doesn't add up. At least from the picture they have shown the public it was taken at 12:25am. She is crossing the rainbow crosswalk around 12:07-12:09am and then it takes about 5 minutes to enter the park at Piedmont and 12th which puts her at 12:12-12:14am. Then it would take her 10-20 min to walk through the park to the Charles Allen entrance putting the time at 12:22-12:44am. Then he would have to turn around and go back to the 12th and Piedmont entrance which would take at least 5 min if he was running. Plus with the reporting that she was disfigured and her dog also killed I don't believe this was a quick murder.

Also, it looks like he is on a cellphone which would be strange to use after a murder.

The timing doesn't add up. At least from the picture they have shown the public it was taken at 12:25am. She is crossing the rainbow crosswalk around 12:07-12:09am and then it takes about 5 minutes to enter the park at Piedmont and 12th which puts her at 12:12-12:14am. Then it would take her 10-20 min to walk through the park to the Charles Allen entrance putting the time at 12:22-12:44am. Then he would have to turn around and go back to the 12th and Piedmont entrance which would take at least 5 min if he was running. Plus with the reporting that she was disfigured and her dog also killed I don't believe this was a quick murder.

Also, it looks like he is on a cellphone which would be strange to use after a murder.
Why do you feel she took the 12th and Piedmont entrance? I'd be pretty surprised if there were no cameras going towards that route. I think she may have taken the one on 10th (which is actually the 'shadier' entrance). Was it reported either way?

The guy in the white tank top exiting the park with the cane…there’s speculation that he has blood on his shirt. At first I thought that too, but in the video it looks like a “purse” or bag bc I see a strap across his chest. It’s hard to tell bc it is blurred some. Idk. Thoughts?
Why leave a bloody shirt on? He could just take it off.

Unless she stopped somewhere on the way she probably left Henry's closer to 12am. Its maybe a 5 min walk from Henry's to the 10th and Piedmont Rainbow crosswalk where she was verified to be at 12:07am.
If she decided to walk in the park she likely took a smaller entrance further up on 10th street who's path would curve towards the Charles Allen entrance.

Closer to 12am makes sense to me and what I had originally thought. I'm going of what the article says: Clark said her nightmare began July 27, around 11 p.m. Janness came to see her at work, then went to walk their dog, Bowie.

Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park feels lost without her ‘favorite person in the world’

The guy in the white tank top exiting the park with the cane…there’s speculation that he has blood on his shirt. At first I thought that too, but in the video it looks like a “purse” or bag bc I see a strap across his chest. It’s hard to tell bc it is blurred some. Idk. Thoughts?
Why leave a bloody shirt on? He could just take it off.

Why do you feel she took the 12th and Piedmont entrance? I'd be pretty surprised if there were no cameras going towards that route. I think she may have taken the one on 10th (which is actually the 'shadier' entrance). Was it reported either way?

Someone posted what Emma said earlier on this thread. That she usually took the 12th street entrance into the park.

Timing still does not add up for white tank top if she took another entrance off 10th or 11th. If she was walking from the rainbow crosswalk at 12:07am to the Charles Allen entrance it would take at least 10 min putting her there at 12:17am. Then he would have 8 min to commit the crime and get back out the 12th entrance for the 12:25am picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003