GA - Kendrick Johnson, 17, Suspicious Death, Jan. 10/11, 2013, #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But why would the person walk away, unless they got called away or were late to class? Still, the video shows him going in alone. I just don't see foul play here. Either way, it's still an accident.
And I just don't see accident, I see foul play...

Hard for me to imagine someone thinking the mat was a nifty place to stuff a body.
Happens all the time, people roll up dead bodies in carpets, sheets...

Is there any reason to believe LE did a bad job investigating this case?

My comments were based on the post of the local who said that parents of students at LHS were called appr. 2 hours after the body was discovered and told that police ruled it an accident.

Before the coroner even arrived.

I'd say that is some very sloppy work and more than a bit rushed. :twocents:

ITA. IMO, the blame for this tragic accident rests with the school. I find it hard to believe that someone (a gym teacher, coach, custodian, etc.) didn't realize that kids stored their belongings in the mats and that, when the mats were moved into a vertical position and the belongings fell to the bottom, they created a deadly situation. Open cubbyhole-style shelving along one wall would have safely solved the problem.

I saw the photo of the mat, rolled up, and you could see shoes up inside. I thought the shoes were still on the boy, and he was rolled up in the mat. Was he rolled up inside one, or in between several rolled up mats?
If your shoes were in one, and you couldn't reach them, why would you not just unroll the mat?
I'm new to this case, and still trying to get my facts straight.

My comments were based on the post of the local who said that parents of students at LHS were called appr. 2 hours after the body was discovered and told that police ruled it an accident.

There's is footage of a woman whose child went to the high school and the wording was different on the bulk text she received that day. Something like they didn't believe foul play was involved, probably to stop the rumors running rampant that someone had been shot in the school. They investigated for four months, a text message to calm a parent's fears is hardly proof of shoddy police work.

There's is footage of a woman whose child went to the high school and the wording was different on the bulk text she received that day. Something like they didn't believe foul play was involved, probably to stop the rumors running rampant that someone had been shot in the school. They investigated for four months, a text message to calm a parent's fears is hardly proof of shoddy police work.

I disagree. :twocents:

Based on the school's website, it appears to be an annual fee. Imo, nobody lost their life over $10 -- unless you mean because of priorities wrt to how $10should be spent.

jmo

Just could have been prevented. Is it confirmed that kids do store their shoes and stuff in the mats? I find it absurd.

But that's not the case here, Kendrick was not found "rolled up in a cheerleading mat"...he was "found in a rolled up cheerleading mat". Two totally different things. Rolling someone up in a carpet is far easier than stuffing someone into a carpet that is in between 20 or so other rolled up carpets.

Just could have been prevented. Is it confirmed that kids do store their shoes and stuff in the mats? I find it absurd.

Kids store their things everywhere - even in classrooms. They've been doing it for years. Maybe the locker is out of the way or why go all the way to the locker when you are only going to need a certain thing for a certain class. I think it was someone here, a teacher maybe, who said she ran into it all the time.

I don't think anyone is to blame, it was a freak accident, they happen. Kids get killed skateboarding, driving cars, doing stupid stunts, feeling invincible - who's to blame? This will hopefully set a precedent and kids will no longer use the mats as lockers.

I found this.

"DNA tests show the blood did not belong to Johnson, though a member of the school's color guard told investigators she injured herself the night Johnson went missing."

http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram...-teen-kendrick-johnsons-death-not-an-accident

Supposedly, the blood wasn't fresh. Again I ask who the janitor is and why that wasn't wiped away months ago?

If this proves to be a horrible accident, they should provide all students free lockers. (even if it is a homicide) Imagine losing your life over something so dumb and preventable.

I never had to pay for a locker. Of course that was thirty some odd years ago.

In his own words from yesterday's Press Conference
(BEM)

As you correctly stated, he is formally, reviewing the investigation conducted by the GBI and Lowndes Sheriff's department that ruled KJ's death an accident. He's been monitoring the case and "informally" reviewing the case all along. I guess the use of "formally" ramps it up a notch. IMO, the basis for review comes from the 2nd autopsy, a private investigator for the family suggesting a child KJ (allegedly) had an altercation with a year earlier might be a suspect, and the threat of marches and the "biggest corruption lawsuit this state has ever seen" by Benjamin Crump, Esq.

Rest assured, if he finds no basis to bring charges and closes the case in agreement with the previous findings by GBI and LSD, this still will not be over. In the meantime, I hope names of innocent people aren't leaked to the public by "sources close to the case".

The press conference says that the area of blunt force trauma was never inspected during the autopsy. They didn't look the entire body over? That's hinky too.

Also, the parents are waiting for video from local officials, 1900 hours of it. Why do they have to release 1900 hours? Shouldn't it be at most four hours? Two before and two after. It reminds me of the document dump philosophy when someone sues a big corporation. They'll send thousands of documents and you have to find the needle in the haystack.

Also, you'd think the PD would already have it marked because I'd assume they looked at it. Evidently they didn't. That is also hinky. They said the width of the mat was 14 1/2 inches. I just measured my shoulders, which are above my belly and I'm 15 inches. I can't see someone getting in when it's that tight. JMO

Yes, from the very first articles and photos which showed other shoes and school items kids had left there.

jmo

I'd call that a rush to judgement.

All they have to say is that he was found in a rolled up mat and they're not sure about the cause of death, but it appears to be an isolated incident. JMO

It seems people are ignoring the fact that the feds think it warrants more investigation. I think that says an awful lot.

Once again, about the locks, the kids aren't really "paying" for a locker, they are making a security deposit on the lock, so that the school doesn't have to buy 500 new padlocks every year when they don't get turned back in at the end of the year. It's actually a smart money saving move on their part.

Except the timeline doesn't allow enough time to subdue an athletic young man, pull down one of the heavy mats, unroll it, place KJ's unconscious (or dead) body in the mat, roll it back up, move the outside mats out of the way, move KJ's mat (even heavier now that his 160lb body is in it) to the center, and replace the outside mats.

I suppose the timeline isn't a problem if one is speculating that KJ was killed and his body was hidden away before it was later placed in the mat. However, the problem then becomes the livor mortis pattern which does not indicate that KJ's body was ever moved out of an inverted position. JMO. OMO. MOO.

Kids store their things everywhere - even in classrooms. They've been doing it for years. Maybe the locker is out of the way or why go all the way to the locker when you are only going to need a certain thing for a certain class. I think it was someone here, a teacher maybe, who said she ran into it all the time.

I don't think anyone is to blame, it was a freak accident, they happen. Kids get killed skateboarding, driving cars, doing stupid stunts, feeling invincible - who's to blame? This will hopefully set a precedent and kids will no longer use the mats as lockers.

True, the school I attended was strict about using your own lockers or it will be tossed out.
Looks like they'll have to tighten up the rules.
I am still not 100% convinced it was an accident w/o footage of the mats I am still on the fence.
yes, people do die doing something dumb. It's really unfortunate.

Except the timeline doesn't allow enough time to subdue an athletic young man, pull down one of the heavy mats, unroll it, place KJ's unconscious (or dead) body in the mat, roll it back up, move the outside mats out of the way, move KJ's mat (even heavier now that his 160lb body is in it) to the center, and replace the outside mats.

I suppose the timeline isn't a problem if one is speculating that KJ was killed and his body was hidden away before it was later placed in the mat. However, the problem then becomes the livor mortis pattern which does not indicate that KJ's body was ever moved out of an inverted position. JMO. OMO. MOO.

I'm not sure we've been given the accurate timeline. Somebody posted this link earlier; http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/10...gives-us-update-on-death-of-kendrick-johnson/

It may have had nothing to do with his death, since it was 2011, but is this really how people in this town behave?

...Speculation around the case includes reports that back in 2011, Kendrick Johnson was involved in a fight with another young white male who attended the same school as Johnson. Johnson perhaps won the fight. The young white boy’s family then reportedly invited Johnson to their home to fight again but Johnson never responded. After that incident Kendrick was killed. This information was apparently sent to the Sheriff’s department in Valdosta, Ga and is in the Sheriff’s investigative reports....

Bolding for emphasis. THE FAMILY invited him over to fight again?! You've got to be kidding me. A mother and father invited the kid over for a fight?! That is an extremely weird way to do things.

I'm not sure we've been given the accurate timeline. Somebody posted this link earlier; http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2013/10...gives-us-update-on-death-of-kendrick-johnson/

It may have had nothing to do with his death, since it was 2011, but is this really how people in this town behave?

...Speculation around the case includes reports that back in 2011, Kendrick Johnson was involved in a fight with another young white male who attended the same school as Johnson. Johnson perhaps won the fight. The young white boy’s family then reportedly invited Johnson to their home to fight again but Johnson never responded. After that incident Kendrick was killed. This information was apparently sent to the Sheriff’s department in Valdosta, Ga and is in the Sheriff’s investigative reports....

Bolding for emphasis. THE FAMILY invited him over to fight again?! You've got to be kidding me. A mother and father invited the kid over for a fight?! That is an extremely weird way to do things.

Backwards and strange.
The missing fingernails and organs...hmm...very unprofessional and will lead people to think it's a cover-up. This case was botched from day one.

Backwards and strange.
The missing fingernails and organs...hmm...very unprofessional and will lead people to think it's a cover-up. This case was botched from day one.

BBM

Yep. Did you see this part of that article?

...Stuffing a body with old newsprint and department-store circulars — “like he was a garbage can,” as Jacquelyn Johnson put it — isn’t exactly standard practice in forensic pathology or the mortician’s trade. Vernie Fountain, the founder of a Missouri embalming school, called it “not consistent with the standards of care” in the industry. Dr. Gregory Schmunk, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, told CNN, “I have never heard of this practice.”...

This has hinky written all over it.

BBM

Yep. Did you see this part of that article?

...Stuffing a body with old newsprint and department-store circulars — “like he was a garbage can,” as Jacquelyn Johnson put it — isn’t exactly standard practice in forensic pathology or the mortician’s trade. Vernie Fountain, the founder of a Missouri embalming school, called it “not consistent with the standards of care” in the industry. Dr. Gregory Schmunk, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, told CNN, “I have never heard of this practice.”...

This has hinky written all over it.

It's disgusting and some heads should roll for it. I hope they sue and win. No one deserves this.

Supposedly, the blood wasn't fresh. Again I ask who the janitor is and why that wasn't wiped away months ago?

I never had to pay for a locker. Of course that was thirty some odd years ago.

The press conference says that the area of blunt force trauma was never inspected during the autopsy. They didn't look the entire body over? That's hinky too.

Also, the parents are waiting for video from local officials, 1900 hours of it. Why do they have to release 1900 hours? Shouldn't it be at most four hours? Two before and two after. It reminds me of the document dump philosophy when someone sues a big corporation. They'll send thousands of documents and you have to find the needle in the haystack.

Also, you'd think the PD would already have it marked because I'd assume they looked at it. Evidently they didn't. That is also hinky. They said the width of the mat was 14 1/2 inches. I just measured my shoulders, which are above my belly and I'm 15 inches. I can't see someone getting in when it's that tight. JMO

The GBI autopsy report does include the neck area. That's why I don't understand why the hired pathologist says it wasn't tested.

http://valdosta.sgaonline.com/2010vdt/pdfs/kendrick-johnson.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members