Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@vls12345 - any hearing dates before the trial on 9/30/24? TIA! :)

Just looked. I don't see anything different from either the Augusta-Richmond County website or the GA Supreme Court website.

So, the previous posts contain the most recent updates/info:

Just looked. I don't see anything different from either the Augusta-Richmond County website or the GA Supreme Court website.

So, the previous posts contain the most recent updates/info:

Okay - thanks for taking the time to look! I shall try again in about - oh say about 2 weeks... or so! LOL! :)

Could someone catch me up on how the case was solved, please? I don't see that information anywhere, and I'm not local to the area. TIA
trying to remember the initial reports and days for this case. If I am remembering correctly the stepfather and Latania (Janelle) were both reported missing having "disappeared" in the early morning hours the day after Janelle's 16th birthday.

Stepdad, Leon, (according to Janelle's mother, Tanya) had to help a friend repair a car and allegedly took Janelle with him to do so at 1:30am. She reported them both missing after about a week or two and went on FB begging for money and help claiming to also be suffering from cancer.

Leon eventually did turn up in Atlanta about a month later, but when police located him there low and behold he was accompanied by Tanya, his wife who had claimed he was missing and she had no idea where he might be. Cell phone records later showed she had been in contact with her husband the entire time.

Janelle's body was eventually located in a shallow grave not far from her own home. Turns out her mother and stepfather had conspired to kill her, even going so far as to try to hire hitmen to do it for them on several occasions dating back to when Janelle was just 14. I don't know that we ever were given a hard and fast motive as to why she was murdered. Some have speculated that Leon was SAing Janelle and her mom wanted her out of the picture for that reason.

trying to remember the initial reports and days for this case. If I am remembering correctly the stepfather and Latania (Janelle) were both reported missing having "disappeared" in the early morning hours the day after Janelle's 16th birthday.

Stepdad, Leon, (according to Janelle's mother, Tanya) had to help a friend repair a car and allegedly took Janelle with him to do so at 1:30am. She reported them both missing after about a week or two and went on FB begging for money and help claiming to also be suffering from cancer.

Leon eventually did turn up in Atlanta about a month later, but when police located him there low and behold he was accompanied by Tanya, his wife who had claimed he was missing and she had no idea where he might be. Cell phone records later showed she had been in contact with her husband the entire time.

Janelle's body was eventually located in a shallow grave not far from her own home. Turns out her mother and stepfather had conspired to kill her, even going so far as to try to hire hitmen to do it for them on several occasions dating back to when Janelle was just 14. I don't know that we ever were given a hard and fast motive as to why she was murdered. Some have speculated that Leon was SAing Janelle and her mom wanted her out of the picture for that reason.
Thank you for sharing this information. How pathetic are these 2 'parents'? My 16th birthday was one of the best days of my life, and she was likely so excited. I can't imagine the horror she felt when she realized that her own mother and stepdad were going to kill her. Is this a DP case? If not, it should be. IMOO

Thank you for sharing this information. How pathetic are these 2 'parents'? My 16th birthday was one of the best days of my life, and she was likely so excited. I can't imagine the horror she felt when she realized that her own mother and stepdad were going to kill her. Is this a DP case? If not, it should be. IMOO

I have DP on Leon, not for Tanya in my notes.

trial I am guessing is still on 9/30/24 - or are we STILL waiting for the GA Supreme Court to rule on the State's appeal on not allowing in Leon's statements - @vls12345 - correct? TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33
Back