GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think of that as being a maintenance man. I know when I lived in an apartment that's what we called him. We would call after hours if there were any issues that couldn't wait until the office opened.

But if that was not his job title, did they actually have a maintenance guy/gal there? Is the title "maintenance man" & the title "resident contact" just a matter of semantics, they're the same thing?

I guess what I'm getting at, is there another person we haven't heard of yet that actually did the maintenance there (and had a master key)?

The dorm my son lived in had a resident contact. He wasn't really what I would call a maintenance man but kept an eye on things,let students in their room when they lost a key and reported problems. Didn't SM's mom call DD the maintenance man? Since management lived there also I assumed there wasn't an actual live in maintenance man but that is speculation on my part. Why go to the expense of having a resident contact and a maintenance man when management lives there? We also saw private company plumbers working on the apts not a maintenance man.

The dorm my son lived in had a resident contact. He wasn't really what I would call a maintenance man but kept an eye on things,let students in their room when they lost a key and reported problems. Didn't SM's mom call DD the maintenance man? Since management lived there also I assumed there wasn't an actual live in maintenance man but that is speculation on my part. Why go to the expense of having a resident contact and a maintenance man when management lives there? We also saw private company plumbers working on the apts not a maintenance man.

True. And maybe management even did some of the maintenance themselves, which leads me to another thought. Did LE take the cadaver dogs to BB or her brother's residences (wasn't he a co-owner)? Seems like they should have. Or anybody known to have a master key. Is it too late for that to be done?

Did they take cadaver dogs to resident of Apt. #1's girlfriend's house, where he was supposedly living?

I'm just thinking of all the reasonable doubt there could be in this case. I think they (LE) need to cover all their bases.

So evidence that we know of so far: (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Hack saw found in locked closet of laundry room with LG's DNA on it.
Hack saw packaging with same lot number found in SM's apt.
Cadaver dogs hit in SM's, LG's and downstairs apt.
Master key and LG's key found in SM's apt.
"Murder story" SM told his roommate 7 yrs ago.
CP on flash drive. ?
SOL posts ???

Reasonable doubt:
No DNA evidence (other than hack saw) from FBI so far even though body was dismembered
Cadaver dogs not used to search friend's apts. Cadaver dogs hit everywhere they searched.
SM gave permission for his apt to be searched.
Other people had master keys. (Likely DD had master also)
Did SM tell other wild tales besides "murder story"?
LE missed: Scratches on tub and blue gloves

Things we don't know:
Toxicology report ( I tend to think LE has been given a preliminary verbal report on this due to LG's mom statement that LG didn't know what hit her)
Is there a Walmart video of SM?
Were trash bags found in SM's apt and matched against trash bags found with LG?
Rape kit report
Scratches on tub tested for embedded DNA
Blue gloves evidence or smoke?
Autopsy report
Plumbing forensics
Refrigerator forensics
Thanks so much for posting this list, 3doglady. It illustrates an important point. A large part of the material evidence is listed under "We Don't Know'. In light of that, I think it's premature to make a judgment about the strength of the state's case. If the material evidence is good, the rest of it won't make much difference to a jury.

BTW, I think you should add computer forensics under "We Don't Know".

Some posters speculated earlier that the master key SM had, was given to him by accident by management instead of the regular key to his apt and that he did not know it was a master key. If that scenario were true, and he did not realize he could use it to enter LG's apt, (and if SM is the killer) that could explain why he stole LG's key. Does that make sense? Do we know how he entered the apts he stole the condoms from?
Thank you. It's much clearer now. In fact, I was one who posed the question of why he had a key to LG's apartment, or would need a key to LG's apartment, if he had a master key. To my knowledge, it's never been confirmed how he gained access to apartments 5 and 9 from which he allegedly stole the condoms.

Has there been any information about how SM got a master key? I thought at one time that he could have copied one from DD's apartment if he creepy-crawled it. However, he would have had to have a master key to get into DD's apartment. So that doesn't work.
I had posted this theory a while back when this was being discussed.
As for master key duplication, this will depend on the lock.
More than likely, he could have purchased/obtained a master blank for those locks.
I can think of several ways he could have gone about this,
but the best scenario I can come up with would be to simply
ask the MM to borrow the key real quick to go unlock your door.
Press it into some silly-putty to get the pattern. Return the key.
Then, just file the master blank yourself.
Still a possibility.
However, now that we're seeing that keys may not have been tracked very well,
it's possible he simply swiped one at some point. Especially since it looks like
DD may have had one.

I still question the use of a resident student in this "MM/resident contact" capacity.
Especially if he's got keys and access to all the apartments - being that many
of them would be his fellow classmates. I certainly wouldn't want to be in that position.
Key Possibilities: (I swiped these from other posts) (modified by ~SuperSlueth~)

1. SM borrowed (or otherwise obtained - see above) a master and copied it.
2. SM swiped a master.
3. SM was mistakenly given a master key when he moved in,
possibly due to the confusion of all the locks being changed at that time.

* caveat for #3
If he never realized it, this presumes innocence of burglaries (unless doors were unlocked)
and murder (no access to apt#1), with either LG giving him a key or it being planted. :rolleyes:
If he did realize he had a master, all conclusions are the same
as if he obtained it via one of the other methods
I don't understand number 3
Does that help clear it up for ya? :floorlaugh:

ETA: once again, I didn't see this whole next page... gotta quit doing that :doh:

Thank you. It's much clearer now. In fact, I was one who posed the question of why he had a key to LG's apartment, or would need a key to LG's apartment, if he had a master key. To my knowledge, it's never been confirmed how he gained access to apartments 5 and 9 from which he allegedly stole the condoms.

Here's another media link about the apartments being unlocked (not saying that "confirms" it, but that viewpoint is at least better documented than I had realized)

QUOTE:
McDaniel is being held without bond on two felony counts of burglary stemming from allegations that he entered two of his neighbors’ unlocked homes at Barristers Hall apartments on Georgia Avenue two years ago and took a condom from each

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/15/1632018/mom-asked-mcdaniel-if-relationship.html

And I'll stop after this one:

QUOTE: The alleged burglaries happened at Apartment Nos. 5 and 9, in back of and down a terraced hillside from McDaniel’s. The alleged victims of the late 2008, early 2009 burglaries, fellow 2011 law graduates whose doors are believed to have been left unlocked when they were supposedly entered, declined to comment Tuesday.

link:
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/13/v-mobile/1629505_police-back-inside-mcdaniels-apartment.html

And there's that condom conundrum again!!

Because, I guess entering "unlocked" apartments is what he "confessed" to --hence the report would read that way. Sheesh! How in the world did all that come about. We've puzzled and puzzled and I still can't quite accept any scenario.

Here's another media link about the apartments being unlocked (not saying that "confirms" it, but that viewpoint is at least better documented than I had realized)

QUOTE:
McDaniel is being held without bond on two felony counts of burglary stemming from allegations that he entered two of his neighbors’ unlocked homes at Barristers Hall apartments on Georgia Avenue two years ago and took a condom from each

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/15/1632018/mom-asked-mcdaniel-if-relationship.html
So the presumption is that he either did not have a master key at that time; or, he had a master key, but did not know it was a master key.

Whether or not he had a master key almost three years ago is irrelevant. What matters is that he had one on June 25, 2011. But, I would pay good money to be in the courtroom when Buford stands before the jury and says, "Yes, it's true my client had in his possession at the time of Lauren Gidding's murder a key to her apartment door. It is also true at that time he had in his possession a property master key. But ladies and gentlemen, my client, Mr. McDaniel, was completely unaware the master key in his possession would unlock every door in the apartment complex."

Was SM's burglary arrest warrant ever posted?
For some reason, I thought I'd seen that - but I don't have copy... and I'm pretty sure I would have saved it.

MOO..but I think Buford would have a helluva time explaining why his client had an actual single key to Lauren's apt..that would be much more difficult than attempting to explain the masterkey..

I mean with the masterkey you can atleast claim that you were given it as the key to your apt, therefor never had knowledge that it unlocked every door in the complex..where as the single key to Lauren's wouldn't be that easy to explain..jmo, tho!

yep the warrant was released..did you check the local media sites they usually have it in PDF form that can be saved...but not copy/pasted..

Was SM's burglary arrest warrant ever posted?
For some reason, I thought I'd seen that - but I don't have copy... and I'm pretty sure I would have saved it.
http://media.macon.com/static/graphics/0805McDanielWarrant.jpg

WARRANTMURDERMCD08-05-2011.jpg

Does that help? :D

He is currently jailed for two counts of burglary from allegedly entering two unlocked apartments.
How would detectives know, three years later, whether thse apartmetns where locked or unlocked? Even in they tracked down and interviewed those tenants, I can't imagine that three years later they would remember whether or not on a specific day (and I don't think SMcD even gave specific dates, just a general time period) that they had or HADN'T locked thier doors. That information, that the doors were unlocked, could only have come from SMcD's confession to the detectives. And why are we so sure that the doors were indeed unlocked when he burglarized them for prophylactics??

So the presumption is that he either did not have a master key at that time; or, he had a master key, but did not know it was a master key.

Whether or not he had a master key almost three years ago is irrelevant. What matters is that he had one on June 25, 2011. But, I would pay good money to be in the courtroom when Buford stands before the jury and says, "Yes, it's true my client had in his possession at the time of Lauren Gidding's murder a key to her apartment door. It is also true at that time he had in his possession a property master key. But ladies and gentlemen, my client, Mr. McDaniel, was completely unaware the master key in his possession would unlock every door in the apartment complex."

about bolded: Or, I suppose, that he had a master key back then, knew it, but had no need to use it if the apartments were already unlocked.

Yeah! :rocker:
Can you make that just a little bit bigger?
I can't tell what kind of wood that paper's made of :floorlaugh:

ETA: I'm literally in tears here. OMG my ribs...
LOL Hang on, I've got the burglary warrant somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle