GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am saying that both sides of the troll/no troll argument seem to be speculating because no one knows more than that.

I will say that I think he could have written it, but a troll could have written it too....I just don't know why everyone assumes LE would just f-up EVERY SINGLE THING.

Speaking only for myself, I have my opinion about this particular post and what may be happening with it. A tricky bit of legal maneuvering, rather than a screw-up, IMO. I am surely not assuming LE messed everything up.

Quoting myself to correct myself...

It's not entered into evidence at trial, and they didn't lie. I don't think this will come back to bite them later.

Uhhh...I am not an attorney, but it was stated in front of a Judge at a bond hearing. It was also reported by the local media as coming from the Prosecutors office.

And in the very unlikely event it doesn't come back to "bite them" what official evidence disclosed so far would compel you as a juror to sentence this man to die via execution or say not guilty?

The jury box is typically a cold rational place where jurors are told again and again to base their decisions on the evidence presented in the court room. Based on what we know so far about the evidence mentioned by the DA how would you vote and what evidence would your vote be based on?

Wow, I had them marked but it now says:

"404 -page not found"

I guess they took some down.

It's very common in those circles to conceal one's identity and whereabouts behind anonymous proxies, Tor, and other means. I wouldn't assume they could easily trace the computer or location--wouldn't say impossible, either, but I'd be surprised if no IP-masking methods were used, whether by McD or someone trolling as him.

The first set of posts was linked to him by their content and that picture he posted, not by any advanced digital forensics. Just saying.

Thanks for that -- I have been wondering. Does that mean it may not be subject to the rules of disclosure? (Unless they do plan to use it at trial, I mean.)

I'm not in GA, not a criminal lawyer and not verified, so would rather not try to address the fine points. Hopefully one of the local lawyer will weigh in soon.

I think it is probably safe to say, though, that at this stage, the full gamut of evidentiary rules are not yet in force. Both sides can fudge around a little and get away with it.

Uhhh...I am not an attorney, but it was stated in front of a Judge at a bond hearing. It was also reported by the local media as coming from the Prosecutors office.

And in the very unlikely event it doesn't come back to "bite them" what official evidence disclosed so far would compel you as a juror to sentence this man to die via execution or say not guilty?

The jury box is typically a cold rational place where jurors are told again and again to base their decisions on the evidence presented in the court room. Based on what we know so far about the evidence mentioned by the DA how would you vote and what evidence would your vote be based on?

This was an early phase hearing regarding bond. During the process of discovery, evidence will be disclosed and evaluated. Things that seemed vitally important may end up being shot down, and things that seemed trivial may end up being monumental. Winters didn't lie. He just didn't give us a big chunk of meat to sink our teeth into (yet). Does he have one? I don't know.

I would not expect, at this juncture, to have seen evidence that would compel me as a juror to sentence McD to die. There are many things still to be done before a trial can begin.

I don't need evidence to say "not guilty". That is not how our legal system works.

It's very common in those circles to conceal one's identity and whereabouts behind anonymous proxies, Tor, and other means. I wouldn't assume they could easily trace the computer or location--wouldn't say impossible, either, but I'd be surprised if no IP-masking methods were used, whether by McD or someone trolling as him.

The first set of posts was linked to him by their content and that picture he posted, not by any advanced digital forensics. Just saying.

McD was not maintaining anonymity, though. He was open about who and where he was. He posted pictures of himself, and also gave his address out to whoever wanted it.

I don't know why he'd bother masking his IP and then handing out his home address. But maybe he did.

Wow, I had them marked but it now says:

"404 -page not found"

I guess they took some down.

Some of us have posts saved as a document -- I thought you might, and could direct me by a date. Thanks for the effort! (And yeah, things disappear off that site, so if you ever see something you want to refer to later there --better screenshot it!)

Hmm...I don't know about that. Those FBI computer geeks are pretty darn good at what they do. And don't forget, in all probability, they have the files from McD's computer and possibly the computers of any family members that he might've used. The bottom line is that we don't know what the state has in the way of evidence.

bessie is right, of course, in her reply to the above post that those law enforcement computer folks are good at what they do.

But -- at the bond hearing, at least -- Winters said they verified that SM was posting as SoL by the picture he posted and by the guy that accepted his invite to the mock trial -- I don't think he even mentioned sophisticated computer forensics. Doesn't mean they didn't use them, for sure -- I'll bet they did -- but it's interesting that he spoke only about the two "primitive" methods, not long before referencing the post we have been discussing.

Some of us have posts saved as a document -- I thought you might, and could direct me by a date. Thanks for the effort! (And yeah, things disappear off that site, so if you ever see something you want to refer to later there --better screenshot it!)

I had saved them as documents but that laptop hit the ground and it works from time to time...sorry.

Speaking only for myself, I have my opinion about this particular post and what may be happening with it. A tricky bit of legal maneuvering, rather than a screw-up, IMO. I am surely not assuming LE messed everything up.
What are you thinking, BW?

I would not expect, at this juncture, to have seen evidence that would compel me as a juror to sentence McD to die. There are many things still to be done before a trial can begin.

Keep in mind this is rural Georgia. Most every single bit of evidence presented at that hearing was reported in the media before the prosecutor stated it today.

Exceptions being the bloody (dna unknown) sheet, and of course the internet post (they should have leaked that earlier...and maybe gotten some advice on that idea...sheesh).

My lawn man first told me her torso was severed below the waist and I am a few miles outside of Macon, and yes I read all the local articles. Fact is if there was "smoking gun evidence" it would have leaked.

Can't keep secrets in a small town.

Fair point about him not going to great lengths to hide his identity otherwise. I do find it interesting, though, that the discussion over on the other site (looked it up after writing my last post) is headlined <modsnip>

Not that I buy everything they say <modsnip>, but my impression is still that the post was faked.

I did, too, and I think MAYBE this post came in that form, from a joking SoL-impostor, later. The V-card part would make better sense then -- one of those folks picking up on the "he told LE he was a virgin" theme and working it in there. The best I can tell on that site, you could probably post with any name you choose, though I'm not SURE -- and certainly you can post anonymously. Someone could have done that and just said, "This is SoL checking in", etc.

But, like you, I have a real hard time thinking this is an actual screw-up, that the DA would bungle THAT bad. Let's hope not!

I do think it is possible, however, that if such a post was made by another "SoL", the DA might, might, might -- make reference to SM's real internet postings as SoL, then bundle this one on in for effect. It would not be completely untruthful to state, then, that the post was made by SoL.

This was a highly-anticipated bond hearing... and one that was bound to receive major media coverage. Kind of like with the commitment hearing, I'm sure careful thought was given to what previously-unannounced evidence could be "sacrificed" to make an impact yet not tip the prosecution's hand any more than needed, any sooner than necessary.

The underwear evidence had been leaked, so its value to-save-for-trial got a little diluted -- the sheet, well, I have a feeling that the blood, for whatever reason, has not been identified as Lauren's --don't believe Winters stated it has, anyway. And this post -- well, if things were something like I'm hypothesizing, it might look really handy, for the need of the moment. The only stumper for me would be that Winters would have the gall to present it in such a tricky fashion directly to the judge...but I do think it's possible.

I know I am being bull-headed about this -- if I turn out to be wrong, I'll take my lumps. But this is important to me, because (a) if it turns out to be true, it will probably knock me off the fence, and (b) I just have a gut-level hunch something is hokey with this one.

Most folks out in media-land don't read here, don't have the history we have with these posts. They are not going to scrutinize and wonder and ponder like us -- it will just bombshell them, maybe undo a little of the questioning in this case that seems to have arisen of late with some of the public at large.

bessie, you, with many others, say you have always deemed the posts very important to the case, while I have said several times before they are probably what I weight the least -- with one of the main reasons being that, disturbing as some might be, I see no direct connection with the crime. This post, if genuine, of course, would be a way different story.

Nobody answered me a page or so back when I asked whether anyone knew whether the April 20 deadline for disclosure to the defense that is stated in one link I posted is correct. If it is -- if this post is to be presented as evidence -- I sure hope the defense gets all the details on this one. And not because I wish to see a murderer go free, either.

Which brings a question to mind: If Winters referenced this post but does NOT plan to present it as evidence (if it has served its purpose already, in other words) -- would it still have to be included in disclosure?

bessie, in answer to your question to me about what I'm thinking, I'm quoting my earlier "treatise" so I won't have to type it again! :)

I think the computer forensics will be critical in this case for multiple reasons including Lauren's own computer.

IF he was the one that posted this post, the when will be KEY evidence.

Fair point about him not going to great lengths to hide his identity otherwise. I do find it interesting, though, that the discussion over on the other site (looked it up after writing my last post) is headlined "<modsnip>"

Not that I buy everything they say <modsnip>, but my impression is still that the post was faked.

I can't help but think some of those folks could be of help in solving this mystery, if only they will. (They love us so much, LOL)

Keep in mind this is rural Georgia. Most every single bit of evidence presented at that hearing was reported in the media before the prosecutor stated it today.

Exceptions being the bloody (dna unknown) sheet, and of course the internet post (they should have leaked that earlier...and maybe gotten some advice on that idea...sheesh).

My lawn man first told me her torso was severed below the waist and I am a few miles outside of Macon, and yes I read all the local articles. Fact is if there was "smoking gun evidence" it would have leaked.

Can't keep secrets in a small town.
I live in rural GA and Macon is a great step above. I have heard of things that seemed like smoking guns to me...so I guess you are right that things might have leaked, though.

All the negativity from what seems to be speculation reminds me why I stopped visiting this site. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but just assuming LE and the FBI messed everything up before the trial begins is a little much for me. Maybe they did mess it up, but, hey, maybe they didn't.

Case in point, Mcd's Dad's painting biz. Blood pressure was raised over nothing.

I live in rural GA and Macon is a great step above. I have heard of things that seemed like smoking guns to me...so I guess you are right that things might have leaked, though.

Yeah one of the leaks was the "Walmart tape" showing him buying a poncho and a hacksaw etc... I am guessing that was rumor not a real leak (though most all of the rumors have been true).

There is NO LOGIC behind the prosecutions statement regarding the internet post and date rape drugs and barbeques. Anything that seems off or "hokey" in a case like this is very very bad and honestly fatal to the case. Plus Winter's statement about the dogs reacting to stuff "jumping out of the parking lot"...that was bad too.

These odd comments are not part of a "great plan" by the state prosecutors....just like when Patterson asked during the Grand Jury hearing "Can I talk to the Prosecutor before I answer that question?".

Not some great plan...just plain lack of common sense and reasoning skills in the face of extreme pressure. I think the cops and DA are good guys in this case, they didn't cook any of the evidence.... but sheesh...they are falling apart in too many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member