GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that troubles me is, in that case, the post might have been presented to the grand jury. I would think that would be a very serious matter -- as it should be -- if it is proven not authentic.

I previously thought it wasn't likely that the post was read to the grand jury because then the defense and McDaniel would have already known about it, whereas it appears they were surprised by it at the hearing.

Did a little research...

No judge, defendant or criminal defense attorney is present in state grand jury hearings. http://www.lawinfo.com/fuseaction/client.lawarea/categoryid/143

If that is the case then maybe YES they could have used it at the grand jury hearing and the defense was never aware of it.

I do honestly believe that Winters thought the post was real (yes it is unimagineably stupid, but the other explanations seem even more far fetched). If he knew it was fake and presented it anyway that falls under "prosecutorial misconduct" and he could get in big trouble for that; for some odd reason judges don't like to be lied to by prosecutors.

As far as the consequences, from what I have read the prosecutors can get in big trouble (can but almost never do, prosecutors have lied and sent people to death row and gotten away with it many times over without even a slap on the wrist) BUT if the OTHER evidence in the case is rock solid, and the fake evidence would not have changed the jury's decision then the convictions can stand. Course in that case it wasn't discovered until AFTER the conviction, might have been interesting if it had all come out during the trial.

The big question I have is can the defense find a way to bring this up at trial? If they can find a way to bring it up it could be devastating for the prosecution's case.

I meant to ask about that and forgot. He is definitely up for re-election . Yes, when Howard Simms got his judgeship is when Greg was elected in a special election (2010) One of the fellows that ran for the office last time , David Cooke, will run against him.

bbm: AgentFrank, here's proof (up Wednesday) from macon.com that you were right about the opposition DA Greg Winters will face in the upcoming election:

Candidates for Legislature, judgeships, district attorneys qualify for office

... District Attorney, Macon Circuit

Greg Winters, Republican, 38, assistant district attorney, incumbent
David Cooke, Democrat, 43, senior assistant district attorney ...
http://www.macon.com/2012/05/23/2035630/candidates-for-legislature-judgeships.html

ETA: Feel sure they have erred by listing Winters as incumbent assistant district attorney!

Looks like Cooke has been serving in the Houston Co. DA's office -- at least, I believe this is he:

http://www.houstonda.org/k.-david-cooke/prosecutors/k.-david-cooke-jr.-senior-ada.html

I think qualifying ends for "regular" county offices on Friday, but I am not sure if the deadlines are the same for statewide and judgeships, judicial circuit offices, etc...?

Looks like Cooke has been serving in the Houston Co. DA's office -- at least, I believe this is he:

The video of the candidates is sort of a freak show. What is up with the camera angles shooting up their nose? Some new cool thing? They all look so very awkward and evasive/insecure except for Cooke...and well...

At least he appeared confident, but his big stance on "massage parlors" seems a bit odd. Googling his name brings up tons of articles about child abuse and sex crimes, apparently the SVU experience shifted his perception of reality. The voters in Macon aren't worried about the ladies running massage parlors!

Oh and the homepage link on his face book account is broken. Sheeshers. Yeah, run for office and don't check the campaign homepage link on your Facebook page; brilliant. McDaniel doesn't have anything to worry about regarding a new DA. DNA? Maybe, but that was in the box of evidence, the DA? No worries. In fact even if the DNA matches I am starting to wonder if the DAs could read the frickin' lab report and realize that it does.

Awkward candidates with the camera up their nose video:
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/elections/story.aspx?storyid=89682

David Cooke being all warm and fuzzy but ignoring rampant crime issues campaign video:
[video=youtube;_BjGTJt6vbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BjGTJt6vbA[/video]

The video of the candidates is sort of a freak show. What is up with the camera angles shooting up their nose? Some new cool thing? They all look so very awkward and evasive/insecure except for Cooke...and well...

At least he appeared confident, but his big stance on "massage parlors" seems a bit odd. Googling his name brings up tons of articles about child abuse and sex crimes, apparently the SVU experience shifted his perception of reality. The voters in Macon aren't worried about the ladies running massage parlors!

Oh and the homepage link on his face book account is broken. Sheeshers. Yeah, run for office and don't check the campaign homepage link on your Facebook page; brilliant. McDaniel doesn't have anything to worry about regarding a new DA. DNA? Maybe, but that was in the box of evidence, the DA? No worries. In fact even if the DNA matches I am starting to wonder if the DAs could read the frickin' lab report and realize that it does.

David Cooke being all warm and fuzzy but ignoring rampant crime issues campaign video:
David Cooke for DA TV commercial - YouTube

bbm: FWIW, that video is from 2010, the first time Winters and Cooke were running for DA.

Haven't watched the commercial you posted (I figure I'll soon enough get a belly full of political ads!), so not sure if it's from the current race or not.

David Cooke for DA TV commercial - YouTube

Small town mentality, Macon and WR

No offense to anyone....I'm so sick to death of that stupid post no one can figure out if it was then or now, his or theirs.......! LOL!!

I'm sorry, really, do the dumbos not have anything else yet!!!??? It's likely very important I know but.............

I drove through Barrister hall yesterday, just had to turn around and I was reluctant but didnt' want to go through the intersection or have to back out onto GA Ave.

I felt so sick and sad just driving through thinking of Lauren

This horrendous crime has changed many many lives

No offense to anyone....I'm so sick to death of that stupid post no one can figure out if it was then or now, his or theirs.......! LOL!!

I'm sorry, really, do the dumbos not have anything else yet!!!??? It's likely very important I know but.............

I drove through Barrister hall yesterday, just had to turn around and I was reluctant but didnt' want to go through the intersection or have to back out onto GA Ave.

I felt so sick and sad just driving through thinking of Lauren

This horrendous crime has changed many many lives

bbm: As the days keep slipping on by toward the year-mark of Lauren's disappearance, I feel sometimes that something is looming over me ... just wishing it could all somehow "un-happen", and knowing it can't.

And I'm just someone who never even knew Lauren. I know her family must feel many, many times over that dread of the upcoming "anniversaries".

I had an idea -- I don't know if anyone will be interested, since it is coming from me and I am still "on the fence" -- and I don't know if it would work, since we don't have as many posters in Lauren's threads as we once did -- but I am sure there are many who still "check in":

I thought, when the day of Lauren's disappearance rolls around, maybe we could keep kind of a vigil here, for the days when Lauren was missing and no one realized it. (That just seems such a sad thing to me.) Those who could, we could just log in and "sit" here on Lauren's thread for a few hours each, during those days. Does anyone want to do this?

bbm: As the days keep slipping on by toward the year-mark of Lauren's disappearance, I feel sometimes that something is looming over me ... just wishing it could all somehow "un-happen", and knowing it can't.

And I'm just someone who never even knew Lauren. I know her family must feel many, many times over that dread of the upcoming "anniversaries".

I had an idea -- I don't know if anyone will be interested, since it is coming from me and I am still "on the fence" -- and I don't know if it would work, since we don't have as many posters in Lauren's threads as we once did -- but I am sure there are many who still "check in":

I thought, when the day of Lauren's disappearance rolls around, maybe we could keep kind of a vigil here, for the days when Lauren was missing and no one realized it. (That just seems such a sad thing to me.) Those who could, we could just log in and "sit" here on Lauren's thread for a few hours each, during those days. Does anyone want to do this?

I like that idea, though I'm likely to be unavailable for the most part during those days. :(

If I can, I will log in and I'll definitely be thinking of her throughout that period of time.

Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post

I like that idea, though I'm likely to be unavailable for the most part during those days. :(

If I can, I will log in and I'll definitely be thinking of her throughout that period of time.

Backwoods and Southern Confort,
I am right here with you.... I do check in occasionally... Lauren and her family are never far from my thoughts. Lauren and my loved one were good friends in Macon so I have a connection even though I never knew her myself. I will certainly be here on WS on June 25-26 to participate in a WS Vigil with others who also love Lauren. Thanks for the thoughtful idea, Backwoods.

I think it's an excellent idea. I'll be here as much as I can. Rarely a day passes that I don't give thought to Lauren and her family, and the many, many questions that surround her senseless murder. If you live long enough you learn it's fruitless to ask "why?". Still, once in awhile an event occurs that leaves you bewildered and forces you to ponder the question. For me, Lauren's murder is one of them.

Good Idea Backwoods. I'll be around most of the time on the 25th and 26th. I think of Lauren often and check in here most days to see if there are any new developments. It will be a difficult time for her family so I'm keeping them in my prayers.

Good Idea Backwoods. I'll be around most of the time on the 25th and 26th. I think of Lauren often and check in here most days to see if there are any new developments. It will be a difficult time for her family so I'm keeping them in my prayers.

Thank you, 3doglady, and everyone else who responded to the idea of the vigil.

When it gets a little closer to time, maybe I'll post a "schedule" and then edit it as folks sign up (by post or pm) for specific periods during those days...? I know not everyone can predict when they can be here, and we may not be able to cover every single time frame (I hope maybe we can), but it will just give us a general idea.

Also, I know with the bond hearing thing coming up on the 19th (I think) and other possible happenings, we may have other discussions going on here, as well. But I was thinking, for the vigil itself, that would be a great time to repost some pics of Lauren, little anecdotes about her, etc. -- just make that, as much as we can, a time to remember HER.

I think it's an excellent idea. I'll be here as much as I can. Rarely a day passes that I don't give thought to Lauren and her family, and the many, many questions that surround her senseless murder. If you live long enough you learn it's fruitless to ask "why?". Still, once in awhile an event occurs that leaves you bewildered and forces you to ponder the question. For me, Lauren's murder is one of them.

Yes, I'll be here, too. I'll be running a study so I am up and down between 2 floors a lot, but whatever time I ca, I will be here. Like Bessie said...it is a really good idea.

I'm still learning forum manners at times so please help me. How is a vigil kept?

I'm still learning forum manners at times so please help me. How is a vigil kept?

I don't know that there's a standard, pearl. Suggestions are certainly welcome!

What I was thinking: For the anniversary of the days when Lauren was missing but it was not known/she was not located (I believe that would be June 25-June 30, but I need to check to make sure I have the correct exact dates), I thought those of us who want to can log in on Lauren's thread (with each who can and wants to agreeing to fill a specified time period on one or more days and others just dropping by when they can). The idea is just to keep someone on this thread during those days as much as we can -- to be here "with Lauren," so to speak.

I think if folks would like to post pictures, etc. reminding everyone of who Lauren was, that would be great, too -- and, I don't know, maybe flowers, candles, things like that (pics)...? But just dropping by to "sit silently" for a little while would be fine, too. I hope you will want to join us.

I think that what you said earlier about keeping the focus on Lauren...stuff about HER...is a great idea. I forget which thread it was on, but recently another poster wrote something about how often everyone knows the name of a serial killer but can't name his victims. I read that in The Stranger Beside Me, too, and it really gave me pause. IMOO, and this is just a personal feeling and reflection on my own thought processes rather than a judgment of anyone else, we often lose sight of the victim as whatever they were besides a victim. So I think that even though that's why we are here - Lauren was a victim - it would be really great to devote that time to celebrating her life and all the other roles she held. As always, JMOO.

I know the AboveTheLaw site has been allowed before in these threads, so hoping it is OK to post the link below, to a new item that site has up (largely concerning info said to be from one of SM's former roommates -- not Thad Money.) I'm taking it with a little grain of salt, myself:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/livi...stephen-mcdaniels-college-roommate-tells-all/

:rolleyes:

The things that crawl out of the woodwork. Why now, I wonder? And what's with that weird message to the DA at the end? Does he not have a telephone or the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member