GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It could be as the FBI analyst pointed out in the crime scene analysis -- that, as hard as it is to comprehend, a sexually motivated murder does not ALWAYS involve sexual assault upon the body of the victim, in the usual sense most think of sexual assault. Sexual acts, if they occurred, may have been, um, solitary ones.

This is true. Oftentimes, the perp is impotent.

The autopsy report also makes clear that the torso was an entire one. That fact, and the shorts, have been confirmed for a while now, IIRC.

I think I do believe his statement about when he placed the torso in the place it was found.

I have long thought it was possible that Lauren's remains had been placed there earlier than the night before discovery. I still wonder if there may have not been truth to the rumor that a garbage worker (or someone else) alerted to something unusual and reported it that morning -- thus bringing LE back to the scene VERY quickly. (And maybe explained the "delayed" garbage pickup that morning...)

Not sure I believe that Patterson noticed an odor/flies and thus made the discovery -- unless that container had been opened for more than a few seconds (and SM himself could have peeked in very briefly at some point, IMO, to check on the status) at some point since the torso was placed.

at any rate, best that her parents are spared but some things just stated about the details don't seem plausible (JMO JMO) that SM has confessed to other than the charges against him of course

Yeah. McDaniel has literally no motivation to tell the truth in this "confession." All he had to do was tell a good enough story so that it can be said that he confessed, that's it. But he wasn't going to (and didn't) confess to anything beyond that.

It seems to me that was the whole point of this plea deal for him: getting a chance to save the tiniest, thinnest shred of his reputation is the one thing he got out of it. Sure, they dropped the child *advertiser censored* and burglary charges, but life is life, whether you're convicted on three counts or one. Why would he give up a chance of acquittal (even if it's a vanishingly small one) in exchange for a sentence that's the same as if he were convicted?

This way, McDaniel gets to control the narrative. He was almost certainly going to convicted, but now, instead of a messy trial that would condemn his character forever, and let all his nasty secrets out, he gets to have an official "confession" that depicts his crime in the best remotely conceivable light for him.

Hence the "poor me, yes I am murderer, woefully tortured by my dark, inborn pathology, of which even I am unable to comprehend. I didn't mean to kill her, though! She was my friend! She woke up, and I was caught off guard, in the heat of the moment I don't know what came over me... it just spiralled out of control... I know I can never be forgiven, for my story is so very dark and tragic; I can only wish I hadn't been cursed with this innate twisted neuropathy. p.s.: I didn't do anything sick with the body, I promise, it wasn't like that. I'm just an accidental murderer, not a sicko."

bessie, do you have the pull to get this highlighted on the WS home page or top of the Forums page...?

choking, seems like from what I've seen in movies and read about in other murders seems there's more leverage therefore more power

Your thinking of a garrotte (stick to twist and tighten the rope around the throat when attacking from behind). Garrottes are short sticks, it would probably not even be possible to use a long walking stick.

Part of me doubts the whole manual strangulation then her legs just HAPPEN to get caught under the bed during the struggle. Yes it is possible but I don't buy it, too much luck involved. With all of his weird ideas I would expect he would have had more of a plan in place IF he were caught in an apartment and needed to kill someone.

Then again if I were going to spend the rest of my life in a maximum security prison the story about killing someone with my bare hands might seem like a good idea.

p.s.: I didn't do anything sick with the body, I promise, it wasn't like that. I'm just an accidental murderer, not a sicko."

Please keep his mother in mind. She has apparently been in COMPLETE denial about all of this and this must be a huge shock for her. She is very religious and conservative so the omission of sexual acts etc...could easily have been for her benefit too.

He only confessed because apparently it looked they would lose the case at trial. He wasn't "unburdening" his soul, just giving them what they want in the easiest for possible. I think the prosecutors and everyone else involved should just be grateful that he did confess and didn't drag both families through a trial.

I 'm totally shocked that he pleaded GUILTY.
This guy's mindset is so far off the human scale that I can only conclude that this is more of his antics.

IMO:

Whatever evidence presented to him made him aware, like a treed animal or a rabbit in a hole with no where else to go, that he had only one option available: plead guilty.

McDaniels has no remorse, no regret or empathy.
He is Stephen McDaniel who premeditated and murdered Lauren Giddings.

I do not believe one word he speaks.
He is a liar and a murderer.
How it happened is merely his tale, not the truth.

What happened after he murdered Lauren is also a lie.
He did not just murder her and return to his apartment.

Let us not forget who he is, what he did.
His apology as well as his account of the events is merely more smoke and mirrors.

Please keep his mother in mind. She has apparently been in COMPLETE denial about all of this and this must be a huge shock for her. She is very religious and conservative so the omission of sexual acts etc...could easily have been for her benefit too.

He only confessed because apparently it looked they would lose the case at trial. He wasn't "unburdening" his soul, just giving them what they want in the easiest for possible. I think the prosecutors and everyone else involved should just be grateful that he did confess and didn't drag both families through a trial.

Bolded for emphasis - This Is precisely why Stephen McDaniel ended up where he is today: his mother was in complete denial during the aberrant detours her son took while he was growing up when he should have spoken up to give him guidance and direction.
Read The Psycopath Next Door by Martha Stout. One of the most commonalities for developing a pshycopathic child is for the MOTHER to excuse and be in deniable of their SON'S deviant, evil behavior.

Linking the home page of Macon's 13WMAZ, as there is lots of coverage here at the moment -- later, we will need separate links to the stories:

http://www.13wmaz.com/

I hope it is on the site already (if not, look for it later) -- they just aired a very good interview with Billy and Karen Giddings, in the park, I think, where Lauren so often took Butterbean. And Butterbean is there, too! I wonder if he was remembering "Mommy Lauren" -- bet he was. Bless them all.

Sexual acts, if they occurred, may have been, um, solitary ones.

After reading the confession I think you are right. The part about the running shorts never being removed etc...explains why they were found on the torso.

Lord knows he was reputed to be a "virgin" and that was probably accurate, he may have preferred solitary acts and/or photos.

Bolded for emphasis - This Is precisely why Stephen McDaniel ended up where he is today: his mother was in complete denial during the aberrant detours her son took while he was growing up when he should have spoken up to give him guidance and direction.
Read The Psycopath Next Door by Martha Stout. One of the most commonalities for developing a pshycopathic child is for the MOTHER to excuse and be in deniable of their SON'S deviant, evil behavior.

I don't know the McDaniel family personally, so can't be sure if it's nature or nurture. But I've noted his sibling also seems to have some mental health issues.

I don't know the McDaniel family personally, so can't be sure if it's nature or nurture. But I've noted his sibling also seems to have some mental health issues.

And let's not forget the 5 grandchildren that were adopted because their mother/father were in prison for crack cocaine use.

Right after the arrest Glenda M. gave that very weird interview to the Telegraph talking about the devil and then saying the 6 year old said he wanted to go to Macon to look for Lauren's body parts.

Glenda McDaniel says she told them, “The Bible says, ‘All God’s promises for good he keeps.’ ... And Stephen belongs to God, and we are gonna claim those promises and we are gonna trust God. And my 8-year-old said, ‘Satan is trying to steal Stephen.’ I said, ‘Yes, dear, he’s trying to steal Stephen. He’s trying to steal our testimony. He’s trying to steal our faith in God. He’s trying to steal our peace, and we’re not going to listen to Satan.’ And the 10-year-old said, ‘Well, Satan is powerful.’ I said, ‘Yes, Satan and his demons are powerful. And one day they will be chained forever.’”

“Wednesday morning,” she says, “my 6-year-old, Asher, woke up crying. And I asked him what he had dreamed about. He had dreamed about Stephen. ... He said, ‘Mommy, I need to go to Macon.’ I said, ‘Why, darling?’ He said, ‘I want to go to Macon so I can help find her body, because her family is so sad.’ ... To think that a 6-year-old would have that much compassion and worry over something like that.”

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/07/1657322/man-on-the-street-how-fledgling.html

I do feel sorry for her, really, but is scary to think about how the 5 grandkids may turn out.

After reading the confession I think you are right. The part about the running shorts never being removed etc...explains why they were found on the torso.

Lord knows he was reputed to be a "virgin" and that was probably accurate, he may have preferred solitary acts and/or photos.

As if he could not have undressed her after she was deceased, and redressed her? I think the fact he mentions the pink running shorts, and never having removed them is an opposite reality. I agree with another poster who said he did not kill Lauren then go back and sit in his apartment all day. I shudder to even imagine where his fantasies took him.

Yeah. McDaniel has literally no motivation to tell the truth in this "confession." All he had to do was tell a good enough story so that it can be said that he confessed, that's it. But he wasn't going to (and didn't) confess to anything beyond that.

It seems to me that was the whole point of this plea deal for him: getting a chance to save the tiniest, thinnest shred of his reputation is the one thing he got out of it. Sure, they dropped the child *advertiser censored* and burglary charges, but life is life, whether you're convicted on three counts or one. Why would he give up a chance of acquittal (even if it's a vanishingly small one) in exchange for a sentence that's the same as if he were convicted?

This way, McDaniel gets to control the narrative. He was almost certainly going to convicted, but now, instead of a messy trial that would condemn his character forever, and let all his nasty secrets out, he gets to have an official "confession" that depicts his crime in the best remotely conceivable light for him.

Hence the "poor me, yes I am murderer, woefully tortured by my dark, inborn pathology, of which even I am unable to comprehend. I didn't mean to kill her, though! She was my friend! She woke up, and I was caught off guard, in the heat of the moment I don't know what came over me... it just spiralled out of control... I know I can never be forgiven, for my story is so very dark and tragic; I can only wish I hadn't been cursed with this innate twisted neuropathy. p.s.: I didn't do anything sick with the body, I promise, it wasn't like that. I'm just an accidental murderer, not a sicko."
I agree. It's a sanitized, self-serving version of the truth. A trade off. Lauren's family won't have to sit through a grueling trial with an uncertain outcome. Taxpayers save a few bucks, the D.A. saves time, and LE can close the books on another homicide. The desired result is attained, BUT, with McD in control. It's pretty sickening when you think of it in those terms. I'm still greatly relieved, however, that it turned out this way. IMO, it's not necessary to have every detail spelled out. Those who've paid attention can fill in the blanks. There is one detail that niggles at me, and that's McD's claim that the other remains went into the Mercer dumpsters. I haven't heard the Giddings' interview yet, so I don't know if they've addressed their feelings about it. Hopefully, they are satisfied with the explanation, and won't be left with lingering doubt.

As if he could not have undressed her after she was deceased, and redressed her? I think the fact he mentions the pink running shorts, and never having removed them is an opposite reality. I agree with another poster who said he did not kill Lauren then go back and sit in his apartment all day. I shudder to even imagine where his fantasies took him.
Pffft! I don't buy that part at all.

Also, at which point did he obtain the scratches on his torso? And the scratch to his neck that he attributed to smashing a spider? Not buying that, either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back