GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt very much that he would be able to speak to SM's attendance throughout law school. They likely wouldn't have had 100% class overlap, so how would he know? I feel confident he is speaking about the bar exam prep.

That being said, I feel that DW's credibility is pretty low now. In that interview, he said that SM never missed class prior to June 30. Then we have a subsequent report from an unidentified source that SM did miss class on the 27th. Unless the report about the 27th is false, DW has lost credibility, IMO. I'll be viewing anything he says about SMs habits with a skeptical lens going forward.

That is why I thought he wasn't as sure on the second comment. He was talking about all the classes, and he was guessing on those. The first comment was about the class they were both taking. I have wondered about the unnamed source that said he missed the 27th. If he did, that is pivotal, but it hasn't been confirmed. I think missing on the 30th has been confirmed.

On Friday, police charged Stephen McDaniel, 25, a neighbor of Giddings’, with two counts of burglary. A bail bond of $8,450 that had been set on the first burglary count was revoked.

McDaniel admitted to police in a “voluntary statement” that he’d committed other burglaries at the Barristers Hall apartments, where he and Giddings lived next to one another, said Greg Winters, district attorney for the Macon Judicial Circuit.

Both burglaries happened between Dec. 26, 2008, and Jan. 31, 2009, Macon police said.

“He would walk into other apartments and take items,” Winters said during a preliminary hearing for McDaniel on Friday afternoon.

Police would not say what items were taken. Winters said more burglary counts could be added.

Asked after the hearing whether Giddings’ apartment was burglarized, Winters said, “We don’t know.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/02/1617930/police-treating-remains-as-those.html#ixzz1UyLn71fT

I forgot about these details.

Stephen McDaniel's life behind bars

By AMY LEIGH WOMACK and JOE KOVAC JR. - Telegraph staff

Forty-five mornings ago in the pre-dawn hours of July 1, Stephen McDaniel went from living in a 650-square-foot, two-bedroom study pad at the edge of Mercer University’s law-school campus to bedding down in a roughly 10-by-10-foot cell at the Bibb County jail.

He went from studying for the Georgia bar exam to being a burglary suspect housed behind bars.

A month later on the second night of August, still confined in a light-colored cell, McDaniel would be charged with murder.

By then, the rhythms of the county lockup had no doubt begun taking hold -- the 84-cent breakfasts, lunches and dinners the only things to break the monotony of no TV, no windows and little reading material other than the Bible.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/14/1665061/stephen-mcdaniel-his-life-behind.html#ixzz1UyO9zWSj

Both burglaries happened between Dec. 26, 2008, and Jan. 31, 2009, Macon police said.

For some reason, I felt like I read that the two burglaries happened IN 2008 and IN 2009....but this statement would mean that both burglaries happened over Mercer's Winter Break, right?

Interesting quote from Sheriff Modena that the prisoners in the infirmary are "extra watched because they are so vulnerable or because they are mean as the devil."

(from article posted just upstream - Knox, you beat me to it, was just about to link it). :)

Wonder which one McD is? I'm guessing both, at times.

I wonder what the status is on LG's family's interest in searching the Twiggs County landfill?

Also, I never got an answer from anyone about what would be involved in getting a warrant
to search some of SM's family's lands. Still wonder about that, especially since it appears SM
missed that Monday BarBri class. Maybe if SM's family is so sure of his innocence, they would
simply give their permission to have properties checked out?

I've been looking for an update on the WC Landfill search too SS. Hoping they find the equipment and the funds to go forward with it.

https://www.facebook.com/WolfCreekLF?sk=wall

I gave some thought to an off-site location too. Are you thinking more along the lines of disposal or the actual dismemberment?

“We’re making sure they don’t go off on us in there and commit suicide,” Modena said of the infirmary inmates the other day.

I think it was discussed at one point whether or not he was or should be under suicide watch.
So, by being in the infirmary, he basically is.

Interesting quote from Sheriff Modena that the prisoners in the infirmary are "extra watched because they are so vulnerable or because they are mean as the devil."

(from article posted just upstream - Knox, you beat me to it, was just about to link it). :)

Wonder which one McD is? I'm guessing both, at times.

I think McD would be passive as a child in jail.

I've been looking for an update on the WC Landfill search too SS. Hoping they find the equipment and the funds to go forward with it.

https://www.facebook.com/WolfCreekLF?sk=wall

I gave some thought to an off-site location too. Are you thinking more along the lines of disposal or the actual dismemberment?
I feel pretty sure the dismemberment occurred in her tub.
My concern about an off-site location wasn't so much as a means of disposal.
I think he may have used the dumpster for that - the one that goes to Wolf Creek in Twiggs Co.
But I'm thinking he could have decided to bury her head somewhere - not so much to dispose of it,
but to keep it. Either to possibly retrieve at some point, or just so that he knows exactly where it is
and that he has access to it. So, like a trophy, but also a matter of possession.

On Friday, police charged Stephen McDaniel, 25, a neighbor of Giddings’, with two counts of burglary. A bail bond of $8,450 that had been set on the first burglary count was revoked.

McDaniel admitted to police in a “voluntary statement” that he’d committed other burglaries at the Barristers Hall apartments, where he and Giddings lived next to one another, said Greg Winters, district attorney for the Macon Judicial Circuit.

“He would walk into other apartments and take items,” Winters said during a preliminary hearing for McDaniel on Friday afternoon.

Police would not say what items were taken. Winters said more burglary counts could be added.

Asked after the hearing whether Giddings’ apartment was burglarized, Winters said, “We don’t know.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/02/1617930/police-treating-remains-as-those.html#ixzz1UyLn71fT

I forgot about these details.
Me, too! I came across that article again recently and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned in awhile. Winters' statement is very direct. "He would walk into other apartments and take items." I wonder why he was charged with the "condom burglaries" and not the others, or instead of the others. What was different about them? Just a guess, but could it be the condoms were the only stolen property found in his possession?

PsychoMom,
Thank you for this very insightful article.
This article substantiates Angel's theory that LG's was a 'lust murder'.
article quote:
"Dismembering a victim illustrates an extreme notion of abhorrence towards the victim, psychologically dismissing their existence and disregarding them as being of any value whatsoever (Holmes & Holmes, 2002). The perpetrator that elects to dismember their victim desires to eliminate their existence, refusing to acknowledge them on a conscious level; furthermore, taking their body apart is perceived to be gratifying sexually and psychologically necessary... "(Holmes & Holmes, 2002).

"A perpetrator who kills and selects to dismember their victim is driven by the lust and power that they have over the victim..."

Angel's post:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 #8

What I would love to have seen is an unsub/offender profile developed before Stephen was ever named a POI or suspect [it tends to taint the objectivity of the profile in the eyes of some people] done by someone like Roy Hazelwood in terms of what kind of person he'd expect to commit the Lauren Giddings murder. From what I know as a student, I do expect that given the circumstances of the crime, a few things would have been included in that profile IMO:

-Unmarried male, solitary
-Above average to high IQ
-Highly familiar and comfortable with the property
-Known to the victim

A much more detailed profile could be developed with information from the autopsy and other facts of the case not made public.

To your list I would add:
-- prone to fantasies/daydreamer
-- compulsive masturbation

Besides the autopsy report, I'd be very interested in a detailed description of the crime scene.

Related to this --well, sort of!-- I have been wondering if Lauren had pieces of jewelry she wore consistently and, if so, what the killer would have done with any items of that type that she was wearing at the time of her death.

If the death, and especially the dismemberment, took place in her apartment, I realize he could have and certainly might have chosen to remove jewelry and leave it there. But, in the kind of crime you're theorizing, would those items be likely to have "trophy" value? If so, where would the killer be likely to stash them...?

Also, angelanalyzes, do you feel pretty confident that the dismemberment took place in LG's tub? I have been thinking about that one.

Good point. If she were wearing jewelry it may have been tempting for him to keep something of hers, but I could really go either way on whether it's likely that he did. On the one hand, he strikes me as the type to hold onto ''souvenirs'' such as a locket or a watch, or perhaps her pearl necklace, but at the same time he may have recognized the risk involved and avoided it. He is her neighbor, to the point that they shared a balcony in close quarters, he knew well enough that he may be looked at in the investigation even if everything went perfect because he would be the one who should have heard or seen something if Lauren was attacked in her apartment. I imagine he knew enough to know what a huge risk it would be to keep jewelry directly connected to Lauren. So maybe it was enough for him to keep her body, or maybe he took something more subtle than jewelry, or maybe he treasured that key of hers he had.
:fence:
As for where the dismemberment occurred, I tend to think it did occur in her apartment, at least partially in her bathtub, because in most crimes where dismemberment occurs it occurs very quickly after the killing. Also I can't think of another reason for any kind of tool mark scratches to be in her ceramic/cast iron bath tub, and I feel confident that they would not have gone through the trouble of removing the tub unless some kind of expert confirmed on site that the marks were consistent with a bladed instrument.

QUOTE: "McDaniel, who enrolled in Mercer’s law school in 2008 for what would be a near-three-year stay, stands a chance of spending even longer in the Bibb lockup awaiting trial. He will almost surely mark his 26th birthday there next month. Should prosecutors seek the death penalty -- and there has been no suggestion either way -- McDaniel’s time at 668 Oglethorpe St. could, as three current cases with death-penalty implications have, exceed even five years..."

Given that LG's body was found on June 30, 2011, and
McD's trail opens in 3, 4 or 5 years:
from time of crime to conclusion of trial we are looking at:
2015, 2016, or 2017

Why would Bibb County require such a delayed timeline for McD's trial when we see below that a 'speedy trial' is possible?
OJ Simpson - total 1 yr 5 mo
June 12, 1994 - Nicole Simpson and Mark Goldman bodies found
Jan 24, 1995 - trial opens
Oct 3, 1995 - trial ends

Scott Peterson - total 1 yr 8 mo
April 14, 2003 Laci and Conner bodies found
June 1, 2004 - trial opens
Nov. 12, 2004 trial ends

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/14/1665061/stephen-mcdaniel-his-life-behind.html#ixzz1V0A7s4ib

Yes, AA there is so much that goes into pursuing a career in this area of expertise...ESPECIALLY IF WANTING TO GO ALL THE WAY and eventually work for the federal government specializing in forensics, profiling, etc.. I can attest it is a long tedious road with many and much required to have been done for specific amounts of time along the way.. My ex husband was born to be in the field that he truly knows inside and out with all the teeny nooks amd crannies along the way..

I was about to suggest the very thing you just posted was your intentions to be on the police force within the next couple years.. This IMO and the proof is in the pudding that in going that extra mile throughout working toward your ultimate goal I've seen that just as much experience you can attain along the way the absolute better off you are.. My ex husband after getting his BA in criminal justice and then immediately setting off toward his masters to immediately follow and was still in his early twenties after receiving his masters and which working full time as Measley probation officer for Juvenile courts he then immediately applied to and was accepted to go through the police academy and was well on his way from that point on.. His focus and determination were evident, his work ethic and devotion were paramount and those that mattered took notice.. IMO this is what type things greatly helped him in the long run.. As after gaining the trust and admiration of his superior officers and even their superiors it did seem that this good impression he had made on some important people really made a big difference in smoothly trekking right up that ladder to eventually working in the FBI..

AA I am very certain you are aware of just how tedious a process just being thoroughly investigated by the FBI for the purpose of the absolute incredible lengths that they go to in the hiring process.. It is amazing.. Going as far as to have literally sent out men dressed in black suits to a tiny town that a fraternity brother of my husband's lived in.. They went and even interviewed him tho they'd not even been in touch since their junior year at UT.. It really is a career that one definitely earns their place in finally being hired on.. Then the long road of working one's way up through the Federal government career ladder.. But that alone having made it into being one of the chosen few is an accomplishment in and of itself that the vast majority of us will never know or have a clue about..

One of my ex husbands best buds was among the very elite chosen few that had made his way into the final 2 candidates for the new hire with the actual secret service.. After an even more extensive hiring process(if u can imagine) for this one slot that was open for secret service agent.. We all thought he was a shoe in.. Down to the wire with only 2 of them left vying for the coveted position and no one could even guess what was left for them to have to be tested on, verified thru, or extensively studied complete family tree of backgrounds..EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN HAD BEEN ASKED OF HIM, REQUIRED OF HIM, etc and he'd *passed everything with flying colors!! Without a doubt we knew he had the job.. But couldn't have been more wrong within about 48 hours of us anticipating what was going to happen, when would they tell the result of who'd been chosen??.. And just like that it was over. He was paid a visit to his home by some very high up individuals who literally raved to him about how very impressed they were with EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM.. they just said in the end the choice was made to go with the other one of the only two of them.. He was crushed and without being given any reason.. What could it have been that went wrong? Or that they saw that they did not like or approve of? *The poor guy was left racking his brain and just no relief.. Just left not knowing..*

You'll not believe what shortly thereafter we learned was the cause for why he was not chosen at that very last step on that very last moment.. It truly was unbelievable what it all boiled down to(but I did tell him that my God if that's the only thing bad that the entire consensus of the US Federal government with all their unlimited resources .. If this was all they could come up with on him then by God he is one mighty fine man)..

In those last 48 hours these field agents that's jobs are to dig up even the smallest hint of a single grain of dirt that can possibly found on one of these candidates for the secret service agent position.. Well these agents will indeed find it.. He'd never been arrested for anything must less charged with any offense so they kept on digging and in those last 48 hours they made a trip to that same small town where my husbands frat brother had been tracked down And interviewed for my husbands process Of being hired on with the FBI.. In that same tiny town they not only found the fraternity brother who the agent that was up for the secret service job was also a former fraternity brother of from UT, but in interviewing this man who had attended college many moons ago with the agent up for hire he during the course of blabbing his mouth comes upon telling them a story of a guys night out in one of the college town local bars that a few too many beers And a bunch of cocky fraternity bros had began what was an All out bar brawl, yes to the horror of this agent about to become secret service this moron from his fraternity many moons ago was now in one single setting by shooting his mouth off stripping this man's chances of being that agent for secret service.. They not only took the frat bro. Story down word for word they also got two other fellows names that could fully corroborate the bar brawl and this agents involvement.. Within 24 hours all that hard work and interviewing nightmare process of attempting to get that secret service job was all for nothing.. Those FBI field agents had 3 full accounts of 3 separate men telling of this agents involvement in a bar fight and much to our surprise they went even one better and were able to contact the sheriffs office of that college town where the bar fight happened and they were actually able to have in their hands a copy of a police report for the incident from the bar fight night.. No one was even arrested for the fight but there was infact not only a report made of the incident but it also listed 6 or 7 guys full names on the report of having somehow had involvement in the bar fight.. As I said no one arrested or charged with anything but the agents name was infact one of those names on that damn incident report!!!!

That beats all, doesn't it??? Sounds too unbelievable to be true but by golly it most definitely is the truth of how this guy came so close, I mean my God down to the final 2 men up for the secret service agent position.. And just like that, in a blink of an eye and a dummy running his mouth.. That poor guy watched it all disappear and never, after coming so damn close, for nothing to have come of it.. It was a big let down as one can imagine.. Lol

AA.. Alls this to say, you've got your work cut out for ya but just from the little I know of you I haven't a doubt that you put your mind to it and you can go all the way!! You seem as tho you were very much born for this exact type career.. Good luck ;)

Lol, this post nearly gave me a heart attack! But it was fascinating. I may have to pick your brain in PM!
I would be exalted to ever get a position within the FBI, but working for a state agency and as an independent consultant wouldn't be a letdown, I can imagine myself elated even to be a homicide detective for a major metropolitan department. I'm flexible. Just to make a living at all doing what I love would be satisfying.
Funny thing is, the local police department in New Smyrna Beach knows me well because I am always calling them asking questions, etc., scheduling ride alongs, but I'll likely try to go for a position with the Orange County Sherriff's Office or the Orlando Police Dept...
The Macon Police that I met were incredibly nice and professional, I might add, but I'm sure some locals have a different take, lol.
Sorry for the OT! Smooth's post was just awesome.

To your list I would add:
-- prone to fantasies/daydreamer
-- compulsive masturbation

Besides the autopsy report, I'd be very interested in a detailed description of the crime scene.

I agree, especially with the first point!
I'm dying for a detailed description of the crime scene and the autopsy report.

Good point. If she were wearing jewelry it may have been tempting for him to keep something of hers, but I could really go either way on whether it's likely that he did. On the one hand, he strikes me as the type to hold onto ''souvenirs'' such as a locket or a watch, or perhaps her pearl necklace, but at the same time he may have recognized the risk involved and avoided it. He is her neighbor, to the point that they shared a balcony in close quarters, he knew well enough that he may be looked at in the investigation even if everything went perfect because he would be the one who should have heard or seen something if Lauren was attacked in her apartment. I imagine he knew enough to know what a huge risk it would be to keep jewelry directly connected to Lauren. So maybe it was enough for him to keep her body, or maybe he took something more subtle than jewelry, or maybe he treasured that key of hers he had.

Given that they found the keys and hacksaw packaging in his apartment,
I tend to think the risk involved here was not a concern to him.

This got me thinking... what about her Mercer ID?
I would think this would make an excellent keepsake.
I assume it would have her picture on it.
And better than a driver's license or just some picture or piece of jewlery,
since it directly relates to the school and their shared time there as students, etc.
He could frame it along side his own.

And, for all we know, LE may have found this ID in his apt too.
If so, SM would know this - but it's possible he hasn't said anything to Buford about it,
and may have some excuse planned for this or say it must have been planted by MM.
It's interesting that the police report specifically mentioned this as the only thing they could not locate.
SM was there... could it be he was the one to ask about this when they were inspecting her apt?

Given that they found the keys and hacksaw packaging in his apartment,
I tend to think the risk involved here was not a concern to him.

This got me thinking... what about her Mercer ID?
I would think this would make an excellent keepsake.
I assume it would have her picture on it.
And better than a driver's license or just some picture or piece of jewlery,
since it directly relates to the school and their shared time there as students, etc.
He could frame it along side his own.

And, for all we know, LE may have found this ID in his apt too.
If so, SM would know this - but it's possible he hasn't said anything to Buford about it,
and may have some excuse planned for this or say it must have been planted by MM.
It's interesting that the police report specifically mentioned this as the only thing they could not locate.
SM was there... could it be he was the one to ask about this when they were inspecting her apt?

He as a student would know the disposable nature of her Mercer ID post-graduation and know that it could be reasoned she tossed it [unless she was the type who held onto every card in her wallet from years and years ago, still had he high school ID, etc.] so he may have felt it was "safe" to take that as a memento. After all, it speaks to their shared experience at Mercer Law.

As far as whether SMD is risk averse, IOW if he is disorganized or organized, I believe he is mixed. That means he can avoid risk in certain areas and overlook it in others. I'd say the fact that there is some indication that he did a good clean up job of a very messy act and managed to effectively and efficiently dispose of the severed extremities is evidence of his organized tendencies, while the presence of incriminating evidence such as her key, the master key, the hacksaw packaging, etc. points to his more careless tendencies. Overall I would classify him as an organized, ego-syntonic, overcontrolled type but one can only be so "organized" when targeting their next door neighbor and classmate. He's a bit of a hybrid, that's why I have a hard time predicting things like the murder weapon, possible souvenirs...
One thing I do think is that her key was a little treasure to him, especially after his mother's comments about his interest in keys etc. as a child. It would signify to him that control he secretly had over her life, her fate :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee