GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...one more thing.
Someone I know diagnoses people and they were saying that there are some red flags on Daddy McD as well. This person was saying that if a pt came in and started saying that he was a PhD turned painter, it would make him want to dig a little deeper.

He siad that most of his patients that say things like that are either alcoholics or drug addicts that can't hang with a normal 9-5. He said that if there are no signs of addiction, he then starts asking if they are depressed or have any other things going on. He said that sometimes it is a good marker of someone who has some pretty big issues. At the very least, they may be compensating for a lack of respect for authority or inability to work closely with others.

Then again, that was before all these companies were laying off. When did Daddy become a painter?

Mama might not be the only one to give the side eye.

Sandstorm post:
Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #8 - Page 14 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

You have just described the life and times of serial killer Gary Hilton....
If you listen to the video recordings of his mother you understand why I say this.

Thank you for the comment, JeannieC.

Gary Hilton’s mom interview

The link did not work so I downloaded.
IMO:
Very revealing dialogue between the GBI (Georgia) investigator who very cleverly directs the interview with Gary’s mom.
After listening to the audio:IMO Gary did not have much of a homelife. His father left at birth, was raised my mom until he was 6. Mom remarried when Gary was 9. Step-dad was verbally abusive and jealous of Gary. Constant conflicts between step-dad and Gary, the 3 of them moved from town to town only staying 3 months at any one place, mom did not know details about her son while he was growing up, she spoke in generalities.

AUDIO:
http://hilton-gary-michael.blogspot.com/2010/07/audio-interview-with-suspected-serial.html

Verdict: Death
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/gary-hilton-sentenced-to-death-in-fla-murder-022111

You know what I was just thinking of?

I know that many of us have guessed, from the beginning, that this crime is more horrific than it appears on the surface. Yes, there are many rumors I've heard - some indicate some very sinister aspects (mentioned here before).

Could you imagine being on a jury and having to hear...and even see..every detail? I don't even know how I would cope with that - and for her family...how awful.

Prayers now for the Giddings' family and everyone involved with the case.

Smooth, you are so SMOOTH,;) yes I have an IPAD, but I do not use the app for WS on it. I use Safari and just use my iPad like I am on the Internet, and each article opens for me and I could read that book without downloading anything. I am also an IPhone user, and I do the same functions. Agreed, that if a video is Flash; I save for later, but most of the media articles have actually been non flash. Hope that helps!!! I find that a few things are left better not as apps, including Facebook on the IPad.

Ok...one more thing.
Someone I know diagnoses people and they were saying that there are some red flags on Daddy McD as well. This person was saying that if a pt came in and started saying that he was a PhD turned painter, it would make him want to dig a little deeper.

He siad that most of his patients that say things like that are either alcoholics or drug addicts that can't hang with a normal 9-5. He said that if there are no signs of addiction, he then starts asking if they are depressed or have any other things going on. He said that sometimes it is a good marker of someone who has some pretty big issues. At the very least, they may be compensating for a lack of respect for authority or inability to work closely with others.

Then again, that was before all these companies were laying off. When did Daddy become a painter?

Mama might not be the only one to give the side eye.

I was thinking the same thing in terms of what abuse McD may have suffered...plus daddy is pretty mum.

That just totally broke. my. heart.

So sorry Lauren :(

Could those lyrics really be much more perfect?

She really was a beautiful girl. I wish my life looked half as full of joy and promise as Lauren's did, at least that's a blessing.

"The sharp knife of a short life..."

Excerpt from Mark McDaniel's Facebook:
“Why am I interesting. Well, at first glance I appear to be a crashing bore, but looks can be deceiving. I am a house painter but have more education than most doctors. I have a Ph.D and have eclectic tastes in music, films, and books. I enjoy some samurai films, mostly the ones with less violence. Try ‘Twilight Samurai” and “The Hidden Blade.” ... My hobbie (sic) is reading, so I have probably read more books than most. That’s all for today. Be good.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/07/1657322_p2/man-on-the-street-how-fledgling.html#ixzz1VCDlBZFo

I think Stephen's father may partly be the source of his apparent superiority complex.

Thank you SS for this post.
As I view this beautiful video of Lauren enjoying her life with those who loved her so much it brings me back to the painful reality of what we are all about here at WS....why we spend hours reading each other's posts, researching, sharing information...
Lauren, we are here because our hearts are broken, that you were taken so unexpectedly and for absolutely no reason.
We pray for your family & friends who love & miss you and for the scales of justice to prevail...

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
Lord make me a rainbow
I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors,
Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby
The sharp knife of a short life
I've had just enough time
And I'll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I've never known the loving of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand
There's boy here in town says that he'll love me forever
Whoever thought forever could be severed by
So put on your best boys and I'll wear my pearls what I never did is done
A penny for my thoughts I'll sell them for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
Then maybe you'll hear the words that I'm singing
Funny when you’re dead how people start listening
If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears
Keep them in your pocket
Save them for a time when you're really going to need them
So put on your best boys
And I'll wear my pearls

Lyrics & Music
The Band Perry - If I Die Young

I have heard that those are not the most accurate....however, my mom said it was really interesting that when she taught in prison, none of her students were guilty. Hmmmm Go figure. :waitasec:
What's not the most accurate?

Thank you for the video, SS. Lauren was such a beautiful, shining light. Her family and friends must miss her terribly. My heart aches for them.

“And Stephen, in almost a hypnotized, very flat voice said, ‘They told me I did something bad. They told me I hurt someone.’ For 20 hours they had been trying to pressure and threaten and coerce him into confessing for a murder,”

I have been going over this in my head from different standpoints. Is he prepping Mamma for the truth? Is he prepping himself for the truth?
What is this?

I see some interesting things though. I see a childlike quality and I see a diminishing of the magnitude of the crime.

The crime is much more than just somthing bad...and hurting someone.

Mamma can't get you out of this one, SMcD!

There are some conflicting indications about whether Georgia will ultimately be charging McDaniel with malice murder or felony murder. Currently, both options remain a possibility, but indications are that felony murder is being heavily considered as the eventual charge. This seems slightly incongruous, in that Lauren's murder appears, by all accounts, to be an intentional and premeditated act, making it a malice murder rather than a felony murder.

But there is one obvious explanation for why prosecutors are leaning towards the felony murder charge: in Georgia, it can be easier to obtain the death penalty against a first-time offender where the charge is one of felony murder rather than one of malice murder.

This is because premeditated murder, on its own, cannot result in imposition of the death penalty. Although the death penalty is available for either malice murder, or for felony murder where there is also malice, you need something additional to get the death penalty for malice murders, whereas you do not for (most) felony murders.

Under a threshold scheme, like Georgia has, the death penalty is an available punishment for a capital crime only where one of eleven aggravating circumstances are met. See Ga. Code Ann. § 17-10-30(b). This means that, to impose capital punishment, the jury must find that the accused committed the murder and that one of the eleven enumerated circumstances exist. Both of these parts must be established beyond a reasonable doubt. However, many of the eleven aggravating factors concern offenders with prior records. So Georgia's threshold scheme means that, for someone who has never been charged with a crime before, felony murder can be more likely to result in capital punishment, whereas for a repeat offender, the aggravating element is automatically met.

Of the eleven aggravating circumstances, only two are potentially applicable to McDaniel -- (b)(2) and (b)(7). The remaining nine either involve defendants with prior convictions or circumstances not present here. So for the death penalty to apply to McDaniel, one of following two factors must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

(b)(2): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of another capital felony or aggravated battery, or the offense of murder was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of burglary or arson in the first degree; [or]

(b)(7): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible, or inhuman in that it involved torture, depravity of mind, or an aggravated battery to the victim[.]​

It is (b)(2) where the felony murder charge comes in. With felony murder, you essentially get to "double-count" the aggravating factor -- first, the felony is found to be part of the underlying murder charge, and second, the felony is the aggravating circumstance warranting the death penalty.

If the state's case is that McDaniel planned to kill Lauren, and then carried out his plan and killed her, the prosecution will have a more difficult time getting capital punishment under (b)(2). If instead the state's case is that McDaniel broke into Lauren's apartment (itself a burglary, as it's a breaking into a dwelling, with whatever felony intent the prosecutors want to try for), and then subsequent to the break in Lauren was somehow killed, then the death penalty becomes automatically available.

True, in either case, the prosecutor will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a felony occurred. But from the perspective of the jury, you can see why the latter is the more preferable. If a jury is asked only to find McDaniel guilty of felony murder, then you can bet your pants that the jury is going to make sure someone like McDaniel gets convicted, and they will go ahead and find that he was also committing a burglary at the time, if that's what is needed and if there is evidence backing it up. If instead, the jury is only asked to find McDaniel guilty of premeditated murder, and then they are later asked to go back and find if he also committed another crime, things get more chancy. The jury might well decide that even if the murder was beyond a reasonable doubt, is there really sufficient evidence to determine beyond reasonable doubt that McDaniel also happened to plan to commit this other crime at the same time? Or did he only probably commit this other crime? Given that he viciously murdered her, who cares if he also committed a burglary while doing it?

Of course, prosecutors won't necessarily need the felony murder hook to get the death penalty for McDaniel at all -- because (b)(7) would already authorize it. Showing that the second factor was present in McDaniel's crime -- depravity of mind -- will be easier in this case than it will in most others, given the post-mortem mutilation. Jury instructions for “depravity of mind” have been given as follows:

[D]epravity of mind is a reflection of an utterly corrupt, perverted or immoral state of mind. In determining whether or not the offense of murder in this case involved depravity of mind on the part of the defendant, you may consider the age and physical characteristics of the victim and you may consider the actions of the defendant prior to and after the commission of the murder. In order to find that the offense of murder involved depravity of mind, you must find that the defendant, as the result of his utter corruption, perversion or immorality, committed aggravated battery or torture upon a living person, or subjected the body of a deceased victim to mutilation, or serious disfigurement or sexual abuse. West v. State, 252 Ga. 156, 161, (appendix) 313 S.E.2d 67 (1984)

Thus, the dismemberment of Lauren's body alone could be, but is not necessarily, sufficient to get the death penalty, because "the offense of murder" does not terminate at the instant of death, and events that happen afterward can be considered in determining whether aggravating factors are present. See Conklin v. State, 254 Ga. 558, 565, 331 S.E.2d 532, 539 (1985) (finding that complete dismemberment of the body and disposal in a dumpster was sufficient to find that murder was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman, justifying imposition of death penalty).

So the prosecutors can get capital punishment against McDaniel with or without the felony murder charge. However, given that with felony murder you could also still get the aggravating charge under (b)(7), the prosecutors may have decided that they can get a more solid case with felony murder -- after all, if you go in to trial trying to prove two separate aggravating factors, the odds that the jury will come back with a verdict finding at least one of them was present go up. And you only need one to get the death penalty, doesn't matter which one it ends up being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61