GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a little obsessed with puzzles sometimes I must've been really tired last night. Driving to work this morning I realized the most logical layout of the apartments. A 7-8 foot section is cut right down the center.
The rooms line up LG's kitchen, McD's kitchen, his bathroom, her bath, closets. Their kitchen sinks are probably back to back as are the toilets. Kitchens and bathd are about 7' wide and LG's closet looks to be about 5-6' wide. That would make the dimensions approx. 20' x 33, give or take a foot either way. I think I read the total sq footage is 640-660-ish So that works. I think LG' s bedroom ran about 12'-13' along the back wall. There seems to be light coming in from a window opposite the closet wall. That would be the side of the bulding. I could be wrong, but at least I got it out of my head. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do have apartments on the back. I think you are seeing the window from the side of the building, not the back. Here is a Google map link showing it a little bit.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.8...001321&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&lci=com.panoramio.all

Seems that at the link we've already had to the latest Macon Telegraph article on the case ...

Forensic science buffs: How could it be determined that saw packaging in one location matched a saw in another location?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SBM

Only one idea comes to mind for me:
1. perp's fingerprints on both saw packaging and saw frame, or
2. perp's fingerprints on both saw packaging and saw blade.

Or ditto perp's DNA.

And that does not really "match" packaging with saw:
it would merely show perp handled both items (imo).

Otherwise I'm blanking but open to ideas.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Backwoods and Others:
You have theories on this? Tell us, please.

shower_rod.jpg
(click to enlarge)

It's hard to tell from this image (wish we had the unaltered original),
but it looks like the wall is disturbed where the shower curtain rod attaches.
Normally, this would be a simple round flange, possibly attached using drywall anchors (i.e. no stud behind it)
It could have had one of those spring-type rods, in which case there would be no flange,
but there definitely appears to be something there.
It looks like it could have been ripped off the wall, damaging the surrounding area.
If so, SM could have reattached it, but not repair the damage and match/touch-up paint, etc.
(I mean, he could have, but he probably didn't see it as worth the time/effort)
Also, I'm assuming the rod itself was taken down by LE or the workers, since surely either
LE or the friends would have noticed there was no rod/curtain when they were there that Thurs. night.

So... this could be an indication the attack happened while she was in the shower.
And, if he used one of his knives/swords, this would be the only place he could clean up.

ETA: actually, maybe it was badly marred by a spring-rod... this image of a newly remolded
bathroom has no shower rod flange. Of course, it may not have been put up yet...
http://sites.rentingauthority.com/image/show/199.png

ETA #2: the more I look at it, the more it looks like something's sticking out and casting a shadow.
They didn't dig something out of the wall there, did they? hmm...

ETA #3: I hate to keep editing this same post :)
I think what it must be is a chunk of drywall that was pulled loose and is still hanging there from the paper.
This could be from a drywall anchor holding a flange, or a spring-rod that was really stuck to the wall.

They do have apartments on the back. I think you are seeing the window from the side of the building, not the back. Here is a Google map link showing it a little bit.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.8...001321&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&lci=com.panoramio.all
Yes, windows on the side of the building. Thanks for the map link. I saved one to my Google maps the first day Lauren was reported missing. I've never been able to get a good view of the either side of the building, but I can see awnings, so I knew there were windows.

I didn't use design software, so mine's not as fancy as SupreSleuths, but fwiw.

I think there's dead space in front of LG's tub where the plumber accessed the pipes, though probably not as deep as I've drawn it. I guessed at the bedrooms on McD's side. The layout could be identical to Lauren's, but for some reason, I think it's a little different.

Attachments

• apt lg.jpg
    apt lg.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
Ok - I took some pics of the Zaxby's drive through - took them on my iPhone so trying to upload from there as well. Not sure they will show up, but we'll see...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313734374.973355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313734374.973355.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 49
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313734511.713306.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313734511.713306.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 43
Ok - I took some pics of the Zaxby's drive through - took them on my iPhone so trying to upload from there as well. Not sure they will show up, but we'll see...
Thanks, Kate. You were right about the large window. I'm sure you could see inside a car. Did you happen to notice cameras?

Thanks, Kate. You were right about the large window. I'm sure you could see inside a car. Did you happen to notice cameras?

No, and I definitely couldn't see any monitor inside for them, either. So if there are monitors, they are either very low, on an alternate computer screen from what is normally pulled up, or either in a back room or office. It was getting dark, I'll have to try to go during the day, because a camera might be easier to spot.

No, and I definitely couldn't see any monitor inside for them, either. So if there are monitors, they are either very low, on an alternate computer screen from what is normally pulled up, or either in a back room or office. It was getting dark, I'll have to try to go during the day, because a camera might be easier to spot.

The camera is probably one that is focused on the cash register/operator for inside/employee theft purposes. That would explain why it would only capture a small portion of the actual drive through. And would also explain why there are no monitors visible.

I didn't use design software, so mine's not as fancy as SupreSleuths, but fwiw.

I think there's dead space in front of LG's tub where the plumber accessed the pipes, though probably not as deep as I've drawn it. I guessed at the bedrooms on McD's side. The layout could be identical to Lauren's, but for some reason, I think it's a little different.

Fancy? bah! You certainly put a little more time and thought into yours :rocker:

I don't know what type of heat/ac units they have, but the dead space in front of her tub
may house this, with access from the inside of her closet. Not sure about SM's layout.
From the photo in her bedroom, it doesn't appear to me her closet is deep enough
to account for half the depth of the center section. His may not either, leaving space in between.
This is near the center of the building, so all four units may be using this combined
dead space for something - duct work, plumbing vents, etc... ?
I'm thinking the hot water heaters may be in the kitchen.

We keep this up and we'll have blueprints before the commitment hearing :great: :floorlaugh:

Good work, SK! Isn't that weird that you can't see a camera? I practically had my whole upper body out the window trying to see if they were mounted on the wall behind the car if you are up at the pickup window. I'm sure the cashier and person behind me thought I was crazy!

Thanks, PsychoMom. Looks like we were pretty close.

SuperSleuth, notice the wall behind the tub in one of the photos. No flange, and in the picture of LG's bathroom, it does look like something is protruding through wall. :waitasec:

I agree, I think that has to be where the shower rod would have attached. But don't you guys think that, on the day the investigation started, if the rod had been gone, pulled down slightly, or even if the shower curtain were missing, that would have been considered a sign of a struggle or at least struck LE as odd? Her friends and parents have said that there seemed to be no signs of struggle.

I will say that I heard a RUMOR that LG's apartment was found extremely clean. And she was never know to be a neat/clean freak. I'm not saying dirty, just that it was common for her place to be a little cluttered.

Good work, SK! Isn't that weird that you can't see a camera? I practically had my whole upper body out the window trying to see if they were mounted on the wall behind the car if you are up at the pickup window. I'm sure the cashier and person behind me thought I was crazy!

Well, they won't forget YOU! :floorlaugh:

I agree, I think that has to be where the shower rod would have attached. But don't you guys think that, on the day the investigation started, if the rod had been gone, pulled down slightly, or even if the shower curtain were missing, that would have been considered a sign of a struggle or at least struck LE as odd? Her friends and parents have said that there seemed to be no signs of struggle.

I will say that I heard a RUMOR that LG's apartment was found extremely clean. And she was never know to be a neat/clean freak. I'm not saying dirty, just that it was common for her place to be a little cluttered.
I would agree with that "rumor", given those I've known with her apparent personality type.
I'm sure LE knew something was up once they started looking closely at the bathroom.
I bet they couldn't find as much as a single hair or spec of dust in that room.

Most of the camera's these days (especially if its a "high tech" system) will be very inconspicious- they are designed to look like "other things" many times. I run a business and have camera's that look like normal light fixtures among other things. It could very well be that Zaxby's doesn't want just everyone knowing exactly where the cameras are located.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
SBM

Only one idea comes to mind for me:
1. perp's fingerprints on both saw packaging and saw frame, or
2. perp's fingerprints on both saw packaging and saw blade.

Or ditto perp's DNA.

And that does not really "match" packaging with saw:
it would merely show perp handled both items (imo).

Otherwise I'm blanking but open to ideas.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Backwoods and Others:
You have theories on this? Tell us, please.

I have contacted an engineer at the manufacturing company to ascertain whether or not it is possible to match the individual saw to the packaging, possibly through the UPC number or production defects in the blade/handle that would link the saw to a particular batch. I expect to hear back from the engineer on Monday.

I spoke to the packaging department and they told me that it's likely investigators could only narrow it down to a 3 year production period. In other words, they may only be able to determine that the packaging found in SMD's apt and the hacksaw with Lauren's DNA on it were produced within the same 3 year period :(
However, when I speak to the engineer I hope to find out information about toolmarks made on the saw during manufacture...

Also of interest, I was told that a couple weeks back the department received an inquiry of the same nature, related to a homicide/dismemberment. Since the information about the packaging and saw discovery was only recently released, I think someone inside the investigation may have made the call 2 weeks ago.

~snipped for focus~

Also of interest, I was told that a couple weeks back the department received an inquiry of the same nature, related to a homicide/dismemberment. Since the information about the packaging and saw discovery was only recently released, I think someone inside the investigation may have made the call 2 weeks ago.
Or someone involved in the defense. :eek:hdear:

I have contacted an engineer at the manufacturing company to ascertain whether or not it is possible to match the individual saw to the packaging, possibly through the UPC number or production defects in the blade/handle that would link the saw to a particular batch. I expect to hear back from the engineer on Monday.

I spoke to the packaging department and they told me that it's likely investigators could only narrow it down to a 3 year production period. In other words, they may only be able to determine that the packaging found in SMD's apt and the hacksaw with Lauren's DNA on it were produced within the same 3 year period :(
However, when I speak to the engineer I hope to find out information about toolmarks made on the saw during manufacture...

I'm actually hoping that inquiry was made by someone outside of the investigation, like yourself.
Why would LE attempt to match that packaging with that particular saw?
IMO, that's going to be impossible, given the nature of the packaging.
If LE were actually attempting this, IMO, this would be an act of desperation.
I feel like LE has better evidence than this, and taking this kind of measure would be unnecessary.
If this were the case, they'd have a better chance of finding more remains in the landfill and getting forensics from them.

I still feel confident LE has their man, and the evidence to convict him.
But, it's little things like this that continue to raise concerns in my mind.
I certainly hope we get something out of the commitment hearing that will
settle this once and for all. This next week is going to be a long one. :waiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie