GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree the language in the warrant referring to the master key could not be any plainer, and right behind it comes the clause about the locked storage closet.

According to the Arrest Warrant executed on August 2, 2011:
  • a. Stephen McDaniel had in his possession a key to the victim’s apartment and a master key that unlocked every door in that apartment complex.
  • b. A Stanley brand hacksaw was found in a locked storage closet at the apartment complex.
  • c. The hacksaw was submitted to the FBI Crime Lab for analysis and confirmed the presence of the victim’s DNA on the blade.
  • d. A package for the same such Stanley brand hacksaw was found in McDaniel’s apartment.
  • e. McDaniel previously commented that he could commit murder, and provided details of methods to avoid detection, which are similar to the facts and circumstances surrounding the killing of Lauren Giddings.
http://maconpolice.us/?p=1138

On a different note, I keep going back to the apartment foorplans. We were able to ascertain that a common wall separated their bathrooms, so he quite likely would have known when she was taking a shower. But I've also been very curious about whether McD was spying on Lauren in her apartment. Then we learned the other day that LE confiscated a good deal of electronic equipment including cameras, flash drives, and memory cards.
They are also examining electronics, including flash drives, memory cards and cameras, a law enforcement source said.
Police have submitted more than 200 pieces of evidence to the FBI and GBI during the course of the investigation.
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/18/1669391/investigators-in-giddings-case.html

To top it off, SuperSleuth pointed out a strange hole in the wall over the back of the tub. Now before anyone points out that I'm making a leap here, I'm well aware there is nothing to substantiate my ideas at the moment. I'm merely expressing a hunch. A wireless spy camera no larger than a 9 volt battery can be purchased for under $200, and planting it would have been no problem with his handy dandy keys. So, as sickening as it is to think about, it's really not that much of a stretch. Norman Bates had only that little hole in the wall, but theoretically, McD could have had an entire video system.

Thoughts regarding earlier discussion of it being questionable for Zaxby's employee(s) to have first of all even remembered or have been capable of an accurate identification that it was indeed Lauren Giddings at their drive thru window at 6:30pm on July 25th, and secondly questioning that the Zaxby's employee(s) would have been able to state with any type certainty whatsoever whether Lauren Giddings were alone(as is reported) or whether she had a passenger anywhere in her car, specifically mentioned even in her backseat..

All your points from this post are very plausible. And, I wanted to say for those who are not familiar with the area,
that this would be even more so for this restaurant, as opposed to the BK, Checkers and Krystal, which are at this intersection.
Zaxby's is, shall we say, a little higher caliber establishment... with employees to match.

Also... and I don't know why I didn't think of this before :doh:
Google Maps
Camera on pole on the left, in front of Checkers - looks down Spring St towards the bus station.
Camera on pole on the right, in front of Exxon - looks across the intersection.
Here's the view from there.
Google Maps
Zaxby's drive through should be visible on this camera.
I wish they had those cameras online. (see here for why they're not)
There's also one at Spring St and Walnut, which is the next traffic light in the distance heading toward Georgia Ave.

Then, there's the one on the corner of the AT&T building, which may have been able to see her pull into the apts.
Google Maps
And, although there would not be one at the street past the apts (Orange St),
there should be one at Georgia Ave and College St.
If not, I'm sure the main Post Office there has several.

So... if LE really wanted to, they probably could have tracked her from Zaxby's
back to her apt, or at least determined she headed that way and didn't pass it by.

Wow... makes for a long post, huh? :rolling:

On a different note, I keep going back to the apartment foorplans. We were able to ascertain that a common wall separated their bathrooms, so he quite likely would have known when she was taking a shower. But I've also been very curious about whether McD was spying on Lauren in her apartment. Then we learned the other day that LE confiscated a good deal of electronic equipment including cameras, flash drives, and memory cards.

To top it off, SuperSleuth pointed out a strange hole in the wall over the back of the tub. Now before anyone points out that I'm making a leap here, I'm well aware there is nothing to substantiate my ideas at the moment. I'm merely expressing a hunch. A wireless spy camera no larger than a 9 volt battery can be purchased for under $200, and planting it would have been no problem with his handy dandy keys. So, as sickening as it is to think about, it's really not that much of a stretch. Norman Bates had only that little hole in the wall, but theoretically, McD could have had an entire video system.

That's an interesting thought. In fact, right next to that rod might be a good place to hide a small whole.
And, looking at the photo, there's a dead space back of her tub which may be his hall closet.
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/30/1649794_a1649724/barristers-hall-getting-ready.html
So, he could have easily wired it up, even cutting a much larger whole on his side,
without it being noticed (put stuff on the closet shelves to hide the hole).

Spooky :eye:

This is a good timely article, especially since it is from a source other than the locals who I am totally frustrated with. I found a few things interesting: This is the first time I have heard Lauren, she truly was a beautiful girl in every way. Interesting that police say they do not have a motive. Kaitlyn said when McD bragged about being able to get away with murder, he referred to a murder similar to Lauren's ( this may have been pointed out earlier or part of the warrant , come to think of it) And the search for the rest of her body,I still believe, is not only for closure but to establish the cause of death.

Thanks for cluing me in to watch the video -- somehow, when I posted the link, I had missed the video and read only the print article. (I think my NoScript was blocking it and I was tired and just didn't notice.) It does make for more impact, with the video portion.

Thanks for cluing me in to watch the video -- somehow, when I posted the link, I had missed the video and read only the print article. (I think my NoScript was blocking it and I was tired and just didn't notice.) It does make for more impact, with the video portion.
DANG! I'll have to retract my statement about that article. I missed the video too.
ah... another NoScript user :)

Article Link
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/re...ered-law-student-hoping-to-find-more-evidence

BTW, you can watch Lauren's entire speech at Kaitlyn's wedding here

I just want to say.............I think all you guys and gals here ROCK! I have daughters...and I worry incessantly. Thank God for human beings like you who care. I mean it.

I have to agree the language in the warrant referring to the master key could not be any plainer, and right behind it comes the clause about the locked storage closet.

http://maconpolice.us/?p=1138

Wow! Interesting thought, Bessie! For someone who liked to creep in other people's apartments, I bet a camera setup would have been right up his alley, assuming he had the means to get it done. If this turns out to be true, how would he explain THAT one??? He can always say that LG herself gave him a key but I don't think anyone would buy that she gave permission for him to watch her take a shower! : )

In that same picture where we see that odd hole in the wall, right about where the shower rod would be...does anyone else think that the tile in the corner right up above the tub looks weird too? Like it's broken or the grout has fallen away? Any ideas of what that is?

Wow! Interesting thought, Bessie! For someone who liked to creep in other people's apartments, I bet a camera setup would have been right up his alley, assuming he had the means to get it done. If this turns out to be true, how would he explain THAT one??? He can always say that LG herself gave him a key but I don't think anyone would buy that she gave permission for him to watch her take a shower! : )

In that same picture where we see that odd hole in the wall, right about where the shower rod would be...does anyone else think that the tile in the corner right up above the tub looks weird too? Like it's broken or the grout has fallen away? Any ideas of what that is?
I think you're seeing that shadow.
See this post:
Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #8 - Page 23 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

ETA: or if you're talking about the lower left corner at the tub level, I think that's just fingerprint dust.

That would be in line with something I said in a previous thread. "Maybe he wanted the master key to put things in rather than take things out". I mentioned cameras so he could watch Lauren and possibly other people in other apartments.

The more I read the more I get .................angry. I am sickened. And by God if it turns out he did it I don't know how I will get any trust again for people.
As it is, my daughters think I am crazy with fear and suspicion. I guess one can never know and I just need to keep believing that crimes such as this are aberrations.
Praying for Lauren's family.

Do we know that the storage closet was a part of the structure and not a free-standing closet? A utility cabinet of sorts?

Looking at the arrest warrant, I'm not able to build a bridge from the locked closet to the key as others are doing. This is partly because in my mind, I've been envisioning a free-standing utility closet and not a room in the building. But I may have missed a fact somewhere that tells us the storage closet was physically a part of the building. I'm still not sure I would make the leap between closet and key without more information, but it would close the gap a bit.

Even if I can make that connection, though, I don't have information regarding who else might have had a key to the closet.

Do we know that the storage closet was a part of the structure and not a free-standing closet? A utility cabinet of sorts?

Looking at the arrest warrant, I'm not able to build a bridge from the locked closet to the key as others are doing. This is partly because in my mind, I've been envisioning a free-standing utility closet and not a room in the building. But I may have missed a fact somewhere that tells us the storage closet was physically a part of the building. I'm still not sure I would make the leap between closet and key without more information, but it would close the gap a bit.

Even if I can make that connection, though, I don't have information regarding who else might have had a key to the closet.

From the google earth image, you can see there are no additional freestanding buildings.
bh_property.jpg

And looking at this image, plus the two AngelAnalyzes took,
it appears that each building has one of the following:
A. a laundry room, within which is this utility closet
B. a hallway which accesses both the laundry room and utility closet
left_side.jpgright_side.jpg

The entrance to this room/hallway for each building
is located in these images by my crude arrows :biggrin:
click images to enlarge

ETA: perhaps someone who has been there or lived there could confirm this and provide more details

From the google earth image, you can see there are no additional freestanding buildings.
View attachment 18353

And looking at this image, plus the two AngelAnalyzes took,
it appears that each building has one of the following:
A. a laundry room, within which is this utility closet
B. a hallway which accesses both the laundry room and utility closet
View attachment 18354View attachment 18355

The entrance to this room/hallway for each building
is located in these images by my crude arrows :biggrin:
click images to enlarge

Thanks, SS. I wasn't really thinking of a free-standing building, though. I was thinking of a free-standing closet, like a tall metal cabinet with lockable doors. We had one when I was a kid, in our basement laundry area. My parents kept maintenance items like paint thinner, sharp tools, etc. in it.

Cabinet-Storage2.jpg

Thanks, SS. I wasn't really thinking of a free-standing building, though. I was thinking of a free-standing closet, like a tall metal cabinet with lockable doors. We had one when I was a kid, in our basement laundry area. My parents kept maintenance items like paint thinner, sharp tools, etc. in it.

Ah. Well, I'd think if this were the case, they would have referred to it as a cabinet instead of a closet.
It's even been stated here someone believed this closet was actually more like a small room which you could step into - like a walk-in closet?

Someone with some first-hand knowledge will definitely need to chime in on this one.
I'd be curious to get a clear picture in my mind as well :)

Ah. Well, I'd think if this were the case, they would have referred to it as a cabinet instead of a closet.
It's even been stated here someone believed this closet was actually more like a small room which you could step into - like a walk-in closet?

Someone with some first-hand knowledge will definitely need to chime in on this one.
I'd be curious to get a clear picture in my mind as well :)

I don't know what they would call it. I'm not from Macon, GA, but I refer to that as a utility closet or a storage closet. That's why I was picturing it.

SNAP....why in the heck would the killer put the saw in the utility closet? This whole case has me spinning.

AngelAnalyzes has changed my world....educating me about the reasoning behind a crime such as this. I am so grateful for her young blood and interest in this case. The book references helped me understand how someone ramps up to a murder so shocking.
Things like the access to the storeroom, utility closet etc.......yes. Very important. Those things are, to coin a word, logistics.
Why and how to prevent is mitigation.
Angel please stay.

IMO, given the fact that I don't believe SM ever intended that a body be found,
I think he put the hacksaw in that utility closet simply because he no longer needed it
and didn't want to throw away a practically new tool.
He may also have found some sick humor in the idea that others would use the saw
not knowing it was used to dismember somebody.

ETA: I guess I should also add that I think he did this shortly after he was finished with it,
as opposed to the morning he dumped the torso in the trash.
As I've stated, I think at this point he was in a panic and moving it at that time was a big mistake.
Thank God he did though... otherwise he could have taken more time to properly discard it
the next evening/night, etc. and we'd still be on a missing persons case :(

Two Points:

1. Have all the clothes that Lauren was last known to be wearing, ever been found?

2. I have been really wondering about the rest of poor Lauren. It seems likely that SM put the rest of her remains in some other garbage bins. But, on the other hand, let's say he did not.

If he was really playing a game, would there be some sort of ironic disposal location he might choose to place her? Is there a location that he might frequent, that is remote, that he could re-visit, to "be with her", as others have alluded?

Two Points:

1. Have all the clothes that Lauren was last known to be wearing, ever been found?

2. I have been really wondering about the rest of poor Lauren. It seems likely that SM put the rest of her remains in some other garbage bins. But, on the other hand, let's say he did not.

If he was really playing a game, would there be some sort of ironic disposal location he might choose to place her? Is there a location that he might frequent, that is remote, that he could re-visit, to "be with her", as others have alluded?

Not saying that this would answer all our questions, or any at all, but wouldnt it be interesting to see what SM would do if he was released on bail?

I don't know what they would call it. I'm not from Macon, GA, but I refer to that as a utility closet or a storage closet. That's why I was picturing it.
WalterFGeorge referred to a "storage room".

As a former tenant, I can shed some light... The door I believe you are referring to is actually the entrance to the laundry area. In the laundry area I believe there is a storage room. That is the only storage room that I am aware of in the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo