GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's take it easy here and not blame the victim. We can't judge LG's heart when she tried to be a neighbor to SM.

I understand PlainJaneDoe's feelings of being condescended to when taken on as a "project." However, I'm pretty sure she didn't resent it to the point of offing the person.

WHOA Jo...........too late. WTH??? Dont' tell me how to post or speculate, everyone on here is doing the same thing. Im suggesting something just as you and others. I am NOT judging ANYONE. Simply stating a possible scenario. I nor you know LG's HEART and I'm stating what has been posted in articles by the family thank you very much.

Is there some conformity or initiation class that some have missed in order to post here??

I think what was being asked about was more like a history of violent or really disruptive behavior rather than just "weirdness".

Ah-I must have misread some of the posts talking about how normal, average, and adjusted he seemed. I guess they just meant he hasn't dismembered animals before or something.

Certainly a good question, but i think the same can be asked of you. You have attempted to diagnose psychological disorders and provide your expertise on many of the psychological aspects of this case. My assumption, based on your comments, is that you are a nurse. Nurses are not medically licensed to diagnose unless under the direct supervision of a physician, and then they aren't making a diagnosis, they are only making a suggestion or recommendation, as a physician must approve and sign off on their charts. Have you been verified on this site as a medical expert in psychiatry?

The term "diagnose", in the usage I think you're talking about, pretty much carries with it the understanding that the determination, the diagnosis, is being made in a medical or legal setting, where treatment or placement for the person being diagnosed depends on that type of diagnosis. I think PsychoMom is actually involved in those kinds of diagnoses, but better she speak for herself on that.

But to speculate about possible mental or other issues in a setting like this one hardly requires a license, I think. I think quite a few posters have taken a shot at this one, including me. Many people --both professionals and non-professionals -- besides physicians have an excellent working knowledge of pyschiatric, neurological, and other diagnostic classifications. No, I wouldn't want them to prescribe medicine (though some of them probably could make excellent choices, actually), but I'm happy to hear their speculations about possible psychiatric/psychological/neurological/medical issues possibly affecting a suspect in a murder.

That said, I feel the same about angelanalyzes. Don't care if she's "certified" somehow. Sometimes, the avid student is even more alert to some things than a longtime professional.

And slept all day MOnday.

We know now that he missed that day so it does SEEM a LITTLE more realistic that he did it, it doeesn't seem realistic that it was done at BH in one of the three apts, however, there is blood or dna in her drain, I'm guessing the TUB drain?

It just seems way too risky though. Yes people were/had moved out but someone could pop in any time or drive up. PLUS, DID ANYONE MISS HER IN CHURCH on Sunday??

Ponchos no. Hadn't they planned a camping trip for the next weekend? Didnt an article state that camping gear was purchased and was found in his apt unopened and that items purchased at walmart were accounted for???

BUt Too many openings in ponchos, sides open if it's the snap kind and holes for the face to fit into, why not just use trash bags strewn out or rather, roll plastic/plastic drop cloth. Still, like painting, dont' step on the paint on the plastic and step on the carpet or tile...........there would be paint/DNA and footprints to clean up.

How long does it take to clean and drain the blood of a deer? Which occurs in the open with no worries of leaving dna traces.

About the part I bolded: I was thinking that too, but can't seem to find it. Maybe someone said that here in the threads...? Not sure.

Yes I did think of that very early on. I think it was an article about the LG family I read, and how the mother or sister of LG had stated how LG would urge SM to be more outgoing, always inviting him to things, telling him to smile more, and suggesting he not be so shy. I thought that maybe SM resented that. No implications intended, just observations.

JMO: I don't read any victim-blaming into this post.

About the part I bolded: I was thinking that too, but can't seem to find it. Maybe someone said that here in the threads...? Not sure.
I will look about. When I heard SM had possibly purchased a poncho, my first thought was camping trip (for whatever reason camping and poncho seemed linked), . Maybe the article about camping was just imbedded in my subconscience. But I've not heard any more on that. So maybe in fact there is nothing more to the purchase. ??

I will look about. When I heard SM had possibly purchased a poncho, my first thought was camping trip (for whatever reason camping and poncho seemed linked), . Maybe the article about camping was just imbedded in my subconscience. But I've not heard any more on that. So maybe in fact there is nothing more to the purchase. ??

I'm wondering if there may be more than one set of purchases (more than one shopping trip) that they have looked at or are looking at. It is confusing.

I know that something was said somewhere about purchases from at least one shopping trip being found unopened, but what I don't know for sure is that it was in an accepted, linkable source. Could be something someone reported here from reading on one of the news-site comment boards...?

I will preface this with saying I did not "know" him.. But I knew of him and I did see him every day. It's a very small school and we're all housed in one building- so it's not uncommon to come across near about everyone every day. But from what I saw, he seemed like the type that wanted to be up in the groups of chattering students.. but yet he never really was. I saw him once in the cafeteria area, sitting off to the side of a group of people having a conversation. He looked like he wanted to interject, but didn't really know how to do so. I think bashful would be a good word for it. That incident stands out in my mind as showing that he kind of wanted to be social with people, but found it difficult. It's hard to explain it except to me, he always looked like he felt like he was on the outside. That is why I think he would have admiration for a very social girl like LG. BTW- had to typethis up really quick on my phone so god knows how jumbled this is...sorry to everyone in advance. I just didn't want to leave it hanging!
Thank you for sharing this observation, Lawette. It dovetails with what Mrs. Giddings noted when she saw him at the Hummingbird two nights before graduation.
The bar was packed with joyful classmates. Karen glanced up and saw McDaniel and pointed him out to Lauren."Oh, look, he showed up!" Karen remembers her daughter saying. Lauren had suggested that McDaniel come. "She was surprised to see him," Karen says, "but happy."
He was standing in a corner throwing darts. Alone.
Another observation from Mrs. Giddings:
"I remember him coming up the stairs, and she introduced me," Karen says. This was the week Lauren moved in. "He was so awkward and shy — he almost jumped 10 feet — and shyly said, 'Hello.' I mean, he looked like he was going to fall over."
In that same article, we hear from a member of the Federalist Society:
"Dependable as hell," one member says of McDaniel. "If we needed a cooler full of ice, the cooler was full of ice. If we needed fliers put up, they got put up."

"The yin and yang," the member says. "And you need that." You need the "gregarious, outgoing" leader and "the nameless, faceless people behind the scenes."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story_4.html

These statements all have a ring of honesty, and together they form a snapshot.

I'm curious about something, Lawette. When you saw him sitting near the group, what was he doing?

I believe it was LG who had a camping trip planned with some people for the first weekend in July. One of those friends gave an on camera interview just after her torso was found...he stated he became concerned when she had not responded to his calls about the planned trip since she had initially asked him about the trip.

I am not sure that SM was included or was supposed to be part of this particular camping trip. I did not take it that he was from the articles/video I saw about the camping trip.

I concur, currcat. :) Lauren and her friend had talked about a tentative camping trip. There is no indication that McD was included in their plans.

I'm wondering if there may be more than one set of purchases (more than one shopping trip) that they have looked at or are looking at. It is confusing.

I know that something was said somewhere about purchases from at least one shopping trip being found unopened, but what I don't know for sure is that it was in an accepted, linkable source. Could be something someone reported here from reading on one of the news-site comment boards...?

Makes me wish I had saved EVERY article I read. I think or it seems, the one about the camping gear unopened in his apt was not too long after the purchase at walmart came up. Was that the Saturday night trip to walmart that everyone speculated or LE thought he may have purchased things in connection to the crime?

I know, I dont' see it anywhere yet. Maybe it wasn't a good source as you mentioned. But I thought i rememberd that it was a dependable source, if the news counts, the way they dissect statements.

I have a question. I've been thinking about it off and on since I read the article where SM's mother says she buys him blue shirts because it is her favorite color. Does it sound reasonable that the mother could have decided that Lauren would be a good girlfriend for SM and harped on him about it for a long time? Could he possibly have created a relationship to tell his mother about so she would shut her mouth about it?

For some reason, that has always bothered me the way the mother stated SMD had LOTS of blue, because afterall, blue was HER favorite color. I would hope my own mother knows my color and style preferences and buys me gifts based on my OWN tastes, of which she is now more or less aware.... not buying me gifts that reflect HER tastes ans preferences.

To me, that speaks volumes about the level of dysfunction in this mother/son relationship. And as several others have alluded to, there MAY be an issue of sexual confusion with SMD. That, combined with the conflict between wanting his mother's love and approval, and reviling her at the same time for her over-the-top(IMOO!) religious obsession....well...could account for an explosive act of vengeful, built up rage on Smd's part. I grew up gay, in the deep south, to Southern Baptist parents, and had my own fair share of issues with all that.........but even compared to my upbringing, GM just makes my skin crawl....shivers and heebeegeebees(and even vomiting) to the core.

BTW, not saying in any way that SMD is gender confused or anything of the sort. Just that whatever his orientation, sexual, political or otherwise, it sems to me to have been an EXTREMELY oppressive household in which to have come of age. No Wonder SMD seems to have no self exteem or social atpitude! He was ridden constantly by the <Modsnip> who would never, never, EVER SHUT UP!

I'm pretty sure that you guys are thinking about the fact that LG was supposed to go on a camping trip the next weekend, july 4th, with her friends. This didn't have anything to do with SM. Remember LG's friend spoke on camera about the fact that they were planning this trip.

SM's purchases at walmart were intriguing enough to police that they pulled videotape. I don't recall anyone determining that his purchases "checked out" as okay. They may have been accounted for as you said Tomkat, but in my opinion, they were accounted for and taken into evidence by the state and we'll hear more about them at trial time.

Originally Posted by ~Super~Sleuth
“Some of us have speculated that if he’s the one who did it, it was because she was the only one who was really nice to him,” Karen says. “Maybe he had some psycho love affair with her, and she was getting ready to leave, and he couldn’t let her go.”http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story.html_NWe-tAb

Thanks Super Sleuth for locating the link and the actual quote that I was speaking of(via mobile..not as easy to search and link).. So I appreciate you.

Looks as tho I was pretty spot on with my paraphrasing what Karen Giddings had stated..

" could've had some psycho love affair with her and couldn't stand that she was getting ready to leave(moving)"... "if this were the reason then he most likely murdered the one person who had been the kindest to him."
My paraphrasing from earlier..

Makes me wish I had saved EVERY article I read. I think or it seems, the one about the camping gear unopened in his apt was not too long after the purchase at walmart came up. Was that the Saturday night trip to walmart that everyone speculated or LE thought he may have purchased things in connection to the crime?

I know, I dont' see it anywhere yet. Maybe it wasn't a good source as you mentioned. But I thought i rememberd that it was a dependable source, if the news counts, the way they dissect statements.
I've seen a few members mention this article that talks about the camping gear, but I don't recall seeing it, myself. I've been following the case since the very beginning, and while posting in the media thread, I reviewed probably a hundred articles, but it wasn't mentioned in any of them. I don't doubt you guys at all, just curious and wish we could find it.

I've seen a few members mention this article that talks about the camping gear, but I don't recall seeing it, myself. I've been following the case since the very beginning, and while posting in the media thread, I reviewed probably a hundred articles, but it wasn't mentioned in any of them. I don't doubt you guys at all, just curious and wish we could find it.

Thanks Bessie. Yes I browsed some past sleuth posts and saw where various others had read and were discussing the unopened camping gear in SM apt, you searched then as well, but the article never has turned up again. Removed possibly? Too many saw it. Back to square one on that one I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that you guys are thinking about the fact that LG was supposed to go on a camping trip the next weekend, july 4th, with her friends. This didn't have anything to do with SM. Remember LG's friend spoke on camera about the fact that they were planning this trip.

SM's purchases at walmart were intriguing enough to police that they pulled videotape. I don't recall anyone determining that his purchases "checked out" as okay. They may have been accounted for as you said Tomkat, but in my opinion, they were accounted for and taken into evidence by the state and we'll hear more about them at trial time.

Did LE actually get videotape of SM shopping at Wal-Mart? If so, they could either rule him out or convict him based on his purchases. If he bought plastic and it matches the plastic in which Lauren's torso was found, that would be a direct link wouldn't it? Also, can you get fingerprints off of such things as plastic bags, ponchos, drop cloth, etc?

No, what we're talking about is something separate, but it may have been rumor mentioned here or on a news-site board. When I have a bit of time later, I'll see what I can find. I do remember it though because I remember wondering -- with the "guilt glasses" on -- whether SM might have been planning to crash the OTHER camping trip, or kidnap Lauren for his own.

Like I said, will see if I can dig it up in a bit...

bolding by me for focus

Not at all doubting that they did, but do you remember if that is stated in a link somewhere or is it rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
safetycircle