GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that you guys are thinking about the fact that LG was supposed to go on a camping trip the next weekend, july 4th, with her friends. This didn't have anything to do with SM. Remember LG's friend spoke on camera about the fact that they were planning this trip.

SM's purchases at walmart were intriguing enough to police that they pulled videotape. I don't recall anyone determining that his purchases "checked out" as okay. They may have been accounted for as you said Tomkat, but in my opinion, they were accounted for and taken into evidence by the state and we'll hear more about them at trial time.

Yes I knew about the trip. I'm certain I read about the walmart camping gear unopened and an article stating there was a key in fridge in SM apt. Both have yet to be uncovered again. It also alluded that SM was also invited and going on the camping trip which early on lead me to think that SM wasn't such a recluse as everyone speculated. Since these cannot be found, it's anyone's guess or it was not correct info and removed and not a good source. I have heard NO other accounting of his purchases except that short statement. Sorry! Carry on!:banghead:

Yes I knew about the trip. I'm certain I read about the walmart camping gear unopened and an article stating there was a key in fridge in SM apt. Both have yet to be uncovered again. It also alluded that SM was also invited and going on the camping trip which early on lead me to think that SM wasn't such a recluse as everyone speculated. Since these cannot be found, it's anyone's guess or it was not correct info and removed and not a good source. I have heard NO other accounting of his purchases except that short statement. Sorry! Carry on!:banghead:

key in the fridge and SM being invited on LG & friends camping trip I don't remember -- could you have read these on a news-site comment board?

LE finding unopened articles that SM stated were bought for a camping trip I do remember...from somewhere!!!

Did LE actually get videotape of SM shopping at Wal-Mart? If so, they could either rule him out or convict him based on his purchases. If he bought plastic and it matches the plastic in which Lauren's torso was found, that would be a direct link wouldn't it? Also, can you get fingerprints off of such things as plastic bags, ponchos, drop cloth, etc?

Well, I can't find any news article stating that they have video but that was told to me by someone close to the case. I actually heard this before any mention of walmart appeared in the news. So I guess we will consider it rumor.

But this latest article today http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html talks about police inquiring there. Seems to me that they'd actually go there only if there was something to be obtained, perhaps video. And don't they usually always pull video from stores when weapon and cleanup material purchases are in question?

key in the fridge and SM being invited on LG & friends camping trip I don't remember -- could you have read these on a news-site comment board?

LE finding unopened articles that SM stated were bought for a camping trip I do remember...from somewhere!!!

I'm going through some "Gather" articles by Chelsea someone.......is this reliable stuff? I did read those things early on. Maybe I saw it at Gather, but glad someone else saw it and GLAD TO KNOW I'M NOT HALLUCINATING.

Seemed like the key in fridge was in an article as well. Usually I search for the article if I read it on a board to get truer facts. I usually read the articles first then go to the boards if and when I can.

I'm going through some "Gather" articles by Chelsea someone.......is this reliable stuff? I did read those things early on. Maybe I saw it at Gather, but glad someone else saw it and GLAD TO KNOW I'M NOT HALLUCINATING.

Seemed like the key in fridge was in an article as well. Usually I search for the article if I read it on a board to get truer facts. I usually read the articles first then go to the boards if and when I can.

No, from what I've heard, the stuff on is not reliable.

Well, I can't find any news article stating that they have video but that was told to me by someone close to the case. I actually heard this before any mention of walmart appeared in the news. So I guess we will consider it rumor.

But this latest article today http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html talks about police inquiring there. Seems to me that they'd actually go there only if there was something to be obtained, perhaps video. And don't they usually always pull video from stores when weapon and cleanup material purchases are in question?

My daughter works in front end management at a large home improvement store. They look at their security cameras when there is a questionable transaction, etc. She told me that their cameras are good, but Wal-Mart had the best in the business.

Adding to the conversation about a key found on ice. I remember reading this too, It caught my attention because it was the first I had read about it. I think it was in a Macon.com article.

I believe I am correct when I say that unless you are an MD or a Ph.D, YOU, my dear, have NO authority to diagnose ANYONE.

When I worked as a nurse practitioner in mental health, I routinely diagnosed people with mental health and substance abuse issues. LMSWs, LPCs, LMFTs, and PAs may also make mental health diagnoses.

I removed the link but left the name of the site in your post since it's not a banned site. If anyone wants to go look it up, that's their business. I'd recommend finding a more scientific source, though.
Guess what I found? A post by Sandstorm from last month. I'd forgotten all about it even though I'd saved a copy on my computer.
WARNING: Not for the faint of heart. Graphic descriptions and photos. If you're truly interested in learning more about murder involving dismemberment, however, this is an excellent reference.

In my attempt to find out more about the 'whats and whys' of beautiful Lauren, I happened across this forensic medical study regarding 23 homicides who were dismembered by their perpetrator.

I have uploaded the 13 page document in case you are interested in this type of study:

CORPSE DISMEMBERMENT IN THE MATERIAL COLLECTED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF FORENSIC MEDICINE, CRACOW, POLAND.
By Tomasz Konopka, Marcin Strona, Filip Bolechała, Jerzy Kunz

I found the entire document informative, especially:

pages 2
3.1 Methods of dismemberment and corpse destruction

and 10 - 12:
4.1 Types of dismemberment
4.2 Circumstance of death
4.3 The place of homicide and the perpetrator
4.4 Motives of homicide and relations between the perpetrator and the victim
4.5 Serial character of murders

This is the conclusion of this study:

5. Conclusions
1. Apart from rare cases of necrophilia, the victim of dismemberment is always a victim of homicide.
2. Homicides ending with corpse dismemberment are most commonly committed by a person close to, or at least acquainted with the victim.
3. Dismemberment is nearly always performed at the site of homicide, generally in the place inhabited by the perpetrator
4. A homicide ending with corpse dismemberment is generally not planned by the perpetrator.
5. Homicides followed by dismemberment are rarely serial in character.
See attachment for full document.

Attachments

• Corpse dismemberment in the material collected by the Department of Forensic Medicine, Cracow, P.pdf
    603.9 KB · Views: 9
I disagree. They could subpoena GM and ask her questions that would lead her to repeat those statements but the statements themselves couldn't be evidence at trial because they are hearsay and I don't think there is an exception to allow them. If she lied on the stand, they might be used to cross-examine her with her prior inconsistent statements.

Interestingly, the statements are at least double hearsay. They are out of court statements by GM about out of court statements by McD. McD's statements might be used -as an exception to the hearsay rule- (an admission by the defendant) but they'd have to get GM to repeat them again in court.

(The statements may even be triple hearsay if they were statements made by GM about statements made by McD about statements made by the police).

PDubby - I mostly agree here. I wrote that response quickly, but assuming that a good prosecutor could get GMcD to repeat her statements or otherwise impeach with the prior statements made to the media. However, we do all see where sometimes the media confuses things a bit and misquotes, so there may be issues there. I still think, however, the information given by GMcD will be admissible in SOME manner - likely by putting her on the stand.

Are you a GA lawyer? I'm also unfamiliar with GA rules of evidence and they may be a little different than here.

Re: camping equipment purchased by Stephen McDaniel

This is the second go around of questioning where this statement or claim originated from..
Couple weeks back it was questioned and searched extensively for where it originated and was found to have been alleged very early on by psychomom.. As of searching for now the second time it still seems to have only come from a statement made by psychomom that she read it somewhere.. To which that somewhere has never been located to my knowledge..

So as someone a day or so ago brought up an example of how rumors are started this too is a perfect example of how something that has never been substantiated still 7+ weeks later is being thought to have been a substantiated fact at some point.. But still remains unfounded.. RUMOR- that has yet to still have been found to have a basis to substantiate it even true or factual in any way..

It appears I've searched for this article a few weeks ago. Tomkat and Backwoods, could this be what you guys read?

It was very, very early in the investigation, maybe even in the first week. I only remember it because some of the items could have been damning except it was followed up with they were not related because they were found unopened in his apartment. I don't like saying what I remember being listed, but it was items I could see being used innocently for camping or moving, or heinously in helping clean up a crime. Since the article did state the items were found unused, I figured it didn't matter. I have to wonder, now, if more items were purchased or what.
I've checked all of the articles I have bookmarked since June 30th, and it's quite a few. I've looked at google cached versions of articles, and all the early posts in the first thread. Nothing mentions items found in his apartment, or receipts for items he purchased, except the most recent articles. I'm going to look a little more, though, because you sound so sure, and I'm just plain curious.

ETA: Sorry, Smooth. Didn't see your post.

About the scratches on SM:
When I first heard/read rumors, before any confirmation, I heard plain "scratches". Later it became "fingernail scratches" -- not an illogical conclusion, really, under the often-assumed circumstances, but it did make me really curious about the nature of the scratches, location, how extensive, how well-healed, etc. Some of this has been touched on here in the threads.

I do think there are lots of ways an innocent SM could have gotten just "scratches". I'm always scratched and bruised up and half the time I have no idea of how it happened.

If SM is guilty, I've wondered if he might have gotten scratched up going into some tangled, wild place to dispose of some of the other remains.

I know this is something we can't really know much more about right now -- just what those scratches were like. Mostly just "thinking out loud" here.

When McD was arrested on July 1, my FM who lives in Macon, was told from friends in LE that McD had scratches on his chest. I did not post this since is was and is RUMOR. Now that the scratches have entered our discussion, I am sharing this.
Again, this is only what my FM told me:
McD told LE that the scratches were due to him scratching himself while he slept during the night and that scratching himself was a common thing he did while he slept.

This is the second go around of questioning where this statement or claim originated from..
Couple weeks back it was questioned and searched extensively for where it originated and was found to have been alleged very early on by psychomom.. As of searching for now the second time it still seems to have only come from a statement made by psychomom that she read it somewhere.. To which that somewhere has never been located to my knowledge..

So as someone a day or so ago brought up an example of how rumors are started this too is a perfect example of how something that has never been substantiated still 7+ weeks later is being thought to have been a substantiated fact at some point.. But still remains unfounded.. RUMOR- that has yet to still have been found to have a basis to substantiate it even true or factual in any way..

Exactly - just like the key in the fridge rumor, which remains unsubstantiated and also was brought up again earlier tonight.

Very important that if you post a rumor, preface it with that. Otherwise, someone is going to read and interpret it as fact, then bring it up later, thinking it's true.

I've seen a few members mention this article that talks about the camping gear, but I don't recall seeing it, myself. I've been following the case since the very beginning, and while posting in the media thread, I reviewed probably a hundred articles, but it wasn't mentioned in any of them. I don't doubt you guys at all, just curious and wish we could find it.

It was Lauren's friend Jason Keith, who mentioned plans for a camping trip, for the 4th of July weekend. He sent text messages to Lauren about their plans, but she did not answer him. He assumed she was busy studying.

I have never seen an article about McD and camping gear either. The closest thing, would be the Rumor about the rain ponchos McD supposedly purchased from Wal-Mart.

I am just catching up and did not see your post Smooth. I have never seen a story about McD and camping gear either. Only reference I have ever seen to camping was by JK one of Lauren's friends. McD was not involved in that planned trip-

Exactly - just like the key in the fridge rumor, which remains unsubstantiated and also was brought up again earlier tonight.

Very important that if you post a rumor, preface it with that. Otherwise, someone is going to read and interpret it as fact, then bring it up later, thinking it's true.
You're absolutely right, SK. This is one reason it's so important to provide links with our posts. And members shouldn't be shy about demanding links from other posters. It's perfectly all right as long as we ask politely.

Ever since the discovery of the torso, I have thought it very strange why most all news reports read that Lauren’s torso was found “wrapped in plastic” as opposed to found “in a plastic trash bag”, which is much more logical in my mind.
Then I read today’s Macon article:

In mid-July, after an employee at the Gray Highway Wal-Mart told a Telegraph reporter that Stephen McDaniel had bought rain ponchos there and that police had inquired there. A law enforcement source familiar with the case said authorities had found ponchos in Stephen McDaniel’s apartment. But the law enforcement source did not say whether the ponchos had any bearing on the case.

MY QUESTION:
Are the ponchos McD bought at Walmart the “same such” plastic that was used to wrap the torso?

Gray's Walmart
1401 Gray Hwy
Macon, GA 31211

Ponchos:
http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ponchos&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

I searched online but could not find any mention of:
#1 McD going camping with anyone
#2 McD purchasing camping equipment or having camping equipment stored in his apt

ABOUT THE BODY
Five days later, police discovered her torso wrapped in plastic in a garbage bin beside her apartment building.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/lauren-giddings-of-laurel-found-slain-in-georgia-64654.html
Giddings was last seen after a night out with friends June 25 in Georgia. Five days later, police there discovered her partial remains wrapped in plastic in a garbage bin beside her apartment building in Macon.
http://www.abc12.com/story/15223350/hundreds-at-funeral-for-slain-law-school-graduate
Five days later, police discovered her remains wrapped in plastic in a garbage bin beside her apartment building http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/56338-lauren-giddings-funeral-held-saturday

ABOUT CAMPING
Lauren and her friends were scheduled to go camping.
McD was not included in her camping group:
Jason Keith, who knew Giddings from a local running club, said she was scheduled to go camping with him and his friends this weekend. Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/06/30/1616531/body-found-mercer-law-giddings.html#ixzz1Uu7NdZUM
Friend Jason Keith says he met Giddings two years ago in a club for runners. He says they were supposed to go camping this weekend with friends, but he says she suddenly stopped returning phone calls or text messages. (video of Jason Keith) http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/134319/153/Giddings-Friends-Mercer-Community-Speak-Out

Personal note: My FM was friends with LG and informed me that McD was definitely not in Lauren's group.

Today’s article : McD missed Monday class/ ponchos at Wal-Mart
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/12/1662957/source-mcdaniel-missed-2nd-class.html#ixzz1Uthf7E2n

i still wonder why it took 5 days of no contact with her for her family/serious boyfriend/friends to realize something was wrong, am i the only one who thinks that's crazy?...i mean she was close to them so it makes no sense, i would think they talked every few days, if not everyday which is more likely.
i guess looking for her sooner may not have saved her life, but then again it could have. and it most def would have uncovered her killer in the act of dismembering/disposing...

in this day and age we have cell phones on us 24/7, if you love someone you cant see everyday, then at least call them and speak with them, EVERYDAY, even if its only to say goodmorning, goodnight and i love you that way you know they are safe...

You're absolutely right, SK. This is one reason it's so important to provide links with our posts. And members shouldn't be shy about demanding links from other posters. It's perfectly all right as long as we ask politely.

i thought there was a whole other thread just for links????? and that that was where we were to post them...

i thought there was a whole other thread just for links????? and that that was where we were to post them...

The media links thread is here:
GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 *Media Links* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Continue to post them here, and I'll do a recap each day in the media thread. If someone wants to read the news articles in chronological order without searching through all of the threads, they'll be in one place. Not each and every article, of course, but a good sampling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010