GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about that too but just because they searched them doesn't mean they found anything on the camera. In no way am I condoning this but 7 pictures is not a lot. Wouldn't you think he would have more? Or maybe he had a lot of *advertiser censored* and only 7 that could be identified as children? And I wonder what the ages of these children are/were. It's one thing to have photographs of a 15 year old but quite another to have them of a 5 year old.

This also sways me to believe he was filming Lauren since he was obviously into deviant sexual behavior and had the means to go in and out of her apartment.

My thoughts are all over the place, so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

You're right about the camera not meaning anything. My mind just immediately went to his young siblings. Nothing indicates that they are involved.

15 year old vs. 5 year old, it's still child exploitation in the eyes of the law

I agree with you about it being more possible that he could have been filming or photographing lauren.

I had the same thought. Wonder what mamma is going to say about this?
Well, at this point, makes you wonder if she and dad don't have a few related skeletons in their closets pertaining to their own children.

I'm not in the running to win any popularity prizes anyway, so I might as well go ahead and post this: He may not be guilty of these charges.

I'm not in the running to win any popularity prizes anyway, so I might as well go ahead and post this: He may not be guilty of these charges.

I doubt the LE are going to risk ruining the solid case for murder they have against McD by randomly adding on sensational, but unjustified, charges for child *advertiser censored*.

If the child *advertiser censored* charges turned out to be bogus, it might very well throw the otherwise unimpeachable murder charge into doubt.

So if they are confident enough to bring charges for this, they must have a bombproof reason for doing so.

Well, I didn't see this coming:

Murder suspect Stephen McDaniel faces seven charges of child sexual exploitation, according to Macon police. http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/141134/175/McDaniel-Charged-With-Child-Sexual-Exploitation

It appears these charges are for images of child *advertiser censored* found on his computer.

Congratulations, Mr. McDaniel. I fully believed that it was impossible for you to be any more horrible of a human being than I already thought you were. Way to prove me wrong.

If you are capable of cutting up your neighbor/friend-then child *advertiser censored* isn't unthinkable. I just hope it isn't his adopted siblings. :frown:

Digital images of pre-pubescent boys and girls engaging in sex acts with adults were discovered on a flash drive belonging to Stephen Mark McDaniel, the man accused in the late-June killing of his neighbor and Mercer University law school classmate Lauren Giddings, according to arrest warrants signed Tuesday.
McDaniel was charged with seven counts of sexual exploitation of children, according to Macon police.
The flash drive was attached to a black and orange Mercer University lanyard found in McDaniel’s apartment when authorities served a search warrant, according to the warrants.

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/23/1675301/mcdaniel-charged-with-sexual-exploitation.html

Of course, this was planted by MM, ya know...

Digital images of pre-pubescent boys and girls engaging in sex acts with adults were discovered on a flash drive

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/23/1675301/mcdaniel-charged-with-sexual-exploitation.html#ixzz1Vt6F02zD
I am assuming this is downloaded *advertiser censored* instead of him actually taking pictures of his relatives ? Please ... "Chill to the bone" some poster used in earlier comments, and that's what is happening now to me . Truly sickening . And it will only get worse as details emerge. I still hurt for Glenda McDaniel for some strange reason, now even more

I doubt the LE are going to risk ruining the solid case for murder they have against McD by randomly adding on sensational, but unjustified, charges for child *advertiser censored*.

If the child *advertiser censored* charges turned out to be bogus, it might very well throw the otherwise unimpeachable murder charge into doubt.

So if they are confident enough to bring charges for this, they must have a bombproof reason for doing so.

about the part I bolded: I am sure that they feel they do.

FWIW:

Today was the first day of fall semester and I presented a "blind hypothetical" to my professor of aberrant psychology, a Ph.D and clinical psychologist. I asked her the following:

-If a young man with an apparently average and more likely high IQ and no overt signs of learning disability were to have presented with odd behaviors such as growing his nails long, scratching and hissing at classmates in adolescence/high school while being relatively awkward and introverted socially but not completely socially crippled, what would your initial thoughts be?

She said [and I quote, because I wrote it down]:
-"Hissing/scratching behaviors at that age are clear indications of a problem, no way around it, and I would suspect the boy would have had issues reaching all the way back into early child hood. Depending on the context it could be Schizotypal PD, that's what those set of traits most closely resemble to me, or even early signs of schizophrenia but I would need more information"

I added:
-"What if said young man were to be heavily immersed, like plenty of other adolescents and young adults, in fantasy genre, going so far as to have created his own elvish language and writing fantasy novels? Would that mitigate/explain his eccentric behavior in your view given the DSM's mention of 'subcultural norms?'"

Her response:
-"No, not necessarily, I would lean toward signs of a developing schizotypal personality perhaps, if he had no positive or negative symptoms I wouldn't go so far as to say schizophrenia but schizotypal personality disorder can often, not in all cases but it can develop into schizophrenia later on. At any rate I'd say he'd need help, pretty seriously"

I then filled her in on who and what I was talking about, describing what we do know of SMD's behaviors via observers as well as his academic accomplishments, the murder charge, etc. She didn't comment on guilt or innocence, but said she felt that if he were guilty, in her professional opinion he'd certainly need help in some capacity as her main reaction was schizotypal PD. Add violence/murder to the equation she also felt comorbid antisocial PD was likely.

Additional thoughts:

If the condom thefts were indeed fetishistic in nature, I would say this is a good pointer to SMD's signature. Signature and MO differ in that the signature reveals the emotional drive behind the crime, while the MO is the method used to carry out the crime. His signature in terms of the condom thefts would be quite revealing regarding the motive behind Lauren's slaying.
After reading over Anatomy of Motive by legendary FBI profiler John Douglas and Mark Olshaker, I also feel that a guilty SMD would best fit the description of an internalizer who Douglas describes as among the greatest cowards of all offenders. Internalizers are very often arsonists or bombers, because they must remove themselves a degree from the crime and the victim, but many one-on-one murderers are internalizers as well. In the latter case, they will try to blitz or incapacitate their victim rather than to face them for a prolonged period or torture them while alive. This way they avoid witnessing the possible judgement of their victim. They don't want that, they want to skip that part and fulfill their fantasy without feelings of inadequacy plaguing them at that moment. It is, in essence, a masturbatory experience.
I also agree with an earlier poster who commented that the end of his time as a student and the beginning of life in the ''real world'' where he'd actually have to use social skills and abide certain social norms could have been part of what triggered him to act out, but victimology is far too important to ignore in a case like this, so I do believe something about Lauren in particular was also a stressor, and it was likely her impending departure, imo. Most likely, barring some event we are unaware of, it was a combination of the two.The two most common triggers are loss of job/station in life and loss of love.
This is way off subject - let's get back to it - but terrific post, Angel. Thanks so much for letting us in on the hypo with your Aberrant Psych prof. It's affirming to know that she sees what many of us do.

Also, thanks for telling us about another book of interest, Anatomy of Motive. The cowardice of the Internalizer rings so true with me about SM.

More coming out now ...

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/23/1675301/mcdaniel-charged-with-sexual-exploitation.html

Quote:
Update: Child *advertiser censored* found on McDaniel’s flash drivehttp://www.macon.com/2011/08/23/1675301/mcdaniel-charged-with-sexual-exploitation.html

Giddings murder suspect charged with 7 counts of sexual exploitation

That article also says that it was found after a search warrant was served; meaning it was not found the during the first search. Earlier today the conversation was "what was the tip about that caused LE to serve another warrant and go back into his apartment." Perhaps someone tipped off LE that they knew he had child *advertiser censored*. It says it was attached to his Mercer lanyard. Maybe someone saw it at school....

Does 7 counts mean 7 pictures ? One is too many , but 7 doesn't seem to be a whole lot for a sexual deviant to have saved, unless they are "real" pictures versus downloaded *advertiser censored*.

Unless they are able to tie these charges to the murder somehow, I'd think a lot of publicity surrounding these separate charges could go toward justifying a change of venue...? But I'm no lawyer.

I'd like to know which O.C.G.A. code they used on the warrant.
I'm a little confused as to whether or not Sexual exploitation of children would indicate simple
possession if images depicting such activity, or if it implies involvement.

Anyone know where to find the regulations they're using?
i.e. he's charged with:
01128 SEXUAL EXPLOTATION OF A CHILD
00913 FELONY MURDER
02299 BURGLARY

These are not GA. Codes/Statues, but must refer to some Regulation which is backed by the code.
Are these State regulations, or local to the county/city?

ETA:
I thought I'd found what I was looking for here: http://www.municode.com/
But, this is apparently not what they're using here. Still looking...

I'm a little confused as to whether or not Sexual exploitation of children would indicate simple

i.e. he's charged with:
00913 FELONY MURDER
02299 BURGLARY

These are not GA. Codes/Statues, but must refer to some Regulation which is backed by the code.

ETA:

Will try and give a better look at it later, but for a quick answer, this seems to be the likely contender:

From § 16-12-100, Sexual exploitation of children, subsection (b)(8): It is unlawful for any person knowingly to possess or control any material which depicts a minor or a portion of a minor's body engaged in any sexually explicit conduct.

Yeah, I seem to be hitting a brick wall here :banghead:
Surely there is a publicly available reference for these codes they're using.

i.e. he's charged with:
00913 FELONY MURDER
02299 BURGLARY

ETA:

Those codes seem to bounce around kind of in the ballpark with NCIC codes (with an initial zero added) but don't match exactly ...? Here's a quick chart of NCIC codes, first I came across: http://www.corragroup.com/NCIC-codes.html

Does this link help any at all:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6950167_national-center-uniform-offense-classifications.html

QUOTE: "The NCIC offense codes are intended to be used nationwide, but the description listed with these codes often does not exactly match the state criminal statutes. NCIC requires the use of the uniform codes but the state may add clarifying information."

Just an addition to my post above, about the NCIC codes. If you add an initial zero to the NCIC codes, the murder and burglary codes match up reasonably well, and the third charge matches up "in the ballpark" as a sex offense ... but I don't see any NCIC codes for sexual exploitation by that term...

A whole new disgusting ball of wax! Have to admit, I didn't see this one coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966